Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
We Love Soaps Interview with Freddie Smith from the Emmy's; edited to add Michael Fairman Interview
Topic Started: Jun 27 2012, 02:54 PM (1,609 Views)
michr544125

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2012/06/freddiesmithemmys.html#more

He seems to indicate the opposite about the gay story being dropped. I know interviews aren't always what they seem to be but I get a more positive vibe about the gay storyline and the direction of it since he said it is only going to get better. I suppose it could be dropped after October. But at that point wouldn't Sonny and Will just be incorporated into other stories any way? That is basically what Freddie said...that he hopes they can just be like every day characters. After the coming out and possibly a gay story coming it would be time to just move into more every day stories. Then again hard to tell from the interview if the story he's in for at least a good two months is gay relate or something else.

Michael Fairman interview

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/days-of-our-lives/freddie-smith-interview-days-of-our-lives-39th-annual-daytime-emmy-red-carpet/2012/06/28/

Edited by michr544125, Jul 1 2012, 10:29 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JoeBucs32

Such a cutie!!

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

The storyline cannot always be a "gay storyline" or the characters will never grow and there's no point in having them once they're together. So I do hope eventually Will and Sonny just seem like regular characters (Will already does) that are gay! That's when you know soaps have truly evolved if that ever happens. Of course I want to see this storyline play out and I want it to be a great storyline, but I also want them to remain viable characters like they could easily be.

I'm starting to think maybe Nelson just reported that news because it is what has happened to every single gay character and every gay storyline so far. Its just a prediction with high percentage where Nelson can say in a year that he was the first to break the news. I'm not putting any stock in what Nelson said until I see it happening or hear it from Chandler, Freddie, or the writers.

Aldo
Member Avatar

Didn't this Nelson guy said when the writers change was confirmed that Will was going to be straight again which made people freak out and some time later he said it was a "joke"?

LonePirate
Member Avatar

DiMeraFan67
Jun 27 2012, 05:37 PM
The storyline cannot always be a "gay storyline" or the characters will never grow and there's no point in having them once they're together. So I do hope eventually Will and Sonny just seem like regular characters (Will already does) that are gay! That's when you know soaps have truly evolved if that ever happens. Of course I want to see this storyline play out and I want it to be a great storyline, but I also want them to remain viable characters like they could easily be.
Just to play devil's advocate here, was the scene with Bo, Hope and Ciara in the pub the other day a straight storyline or just a storyline with regular characters who are straight? What about the EJ and Nicole scenes when they talk about her pregnancy? What about Gabi trying to get closer to Chad? Are those storylines or straight storylines? So many of the stories and scenes on this show involve two characters who are somehow romantically and heterosexually entangled with each other. If Will and Sonny team up to bring down EJ, would that be a gay storyline or a regular storyline?

Yes, there is an obvious difference between a story that focuses almost exclusively on sexuality such as a relationship and a story that does not focus on sexuality such as the Rafe/Roman/Spencer murder investigation scenes. The show writes a ton of the former and not many of the latter.

sonwill
Member Avatar

Love this interview, Freddie seems like such a sweet guy and very greatful for everything he has. And very pro-Days by the seems of things, so that's good in itself. Good to see Sonny will be getting some big stuff, and I'm certain I won't be sick of seeing him by October.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

LonePirate
Jun 27 2012, 06:26 PM
DiMeraFan67
Jun 27 2012, 05:37 PM
Just to play devil's advocate here, was the scene with Bo, Hope and Ciara in the pub the other day a straight storyline or just a storyline with regular characters who are straight? What about the EJ and Nicole scenes when they talk about her pregnancy? What about Gabi trying to get closer to Chad? Are those storylines or straight storylines? So many of the stories and scenes on this show involve two characters who are somehow romantically and heterosexually entangled with each other. If Will and Sonny team up to bring down EJ, would that be a gay storyline or a regular storyline?

Yes, there is an obvious difference between a story that focuses almost exclusively on sexuality such as a relationship and a story that does not focus on sexuality such as the Rafe/Roman/Spencer murder investigation scenes. The show writes a ton of the former and not many of the latter.
What I was saying was the show doesn't have to always be about their challenges of being gay. That needs to be addressed and they can get some money material out of it, but after a time its going to just have to be accepted as part of the show. I didn't mean they can't be romantic or have a relationship. I want Will to have a partner, be it Sonny, or someone else and I want them to be flirty and a couple like say, Bo and Hope. I don't want it to always be written as awkward. It takes away from the story and makes it less reality and eventually they will fade and be gone.

Mirage75
Member Avatar

Give me a full hour of Sonny and his parents over the people that is being shown everyday on this show right now.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Mirage75
Jun 27 2012, 06:38 PM
Give me a full hour of Sonny and his parents over the people that is being shown everyday on this show right now.
No way in hell...the show needs a balance and that includes other characters besides Justin/Adrienne & Sonny.

I 100% agree though that they MUST be featured and included more....I would much rather have them be included in the everyday fabric of the show than people like Daniel/Rafe/Gabi/Mel/Chad/Billie/Brady/Madison/Ian
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Jun 27 2012, 06:47 PM.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Jun 27 2012, 06:46 PM
Mirage75
Jun 27 2012, 06:38 PM
No way in hell...the show needs a balance and that includes other characters besides Justin/Adrienne & Sonny.

I 100% agree though that they MUST be featured and included more....I would much rather have them be included in the everyday fabric of the show than people like Daniel/Rafe/Gabi/Mel/Chad/Billie/Brady/Madison/Ian
You might get your wish since, as everyone has said, Sonny and his parents are filming for a big fall story.

And as for gayless days, I'm not too worried about the spoiler. Now that Will has come out and assuming Will and Sonny get together, the next logical step would be to integrate them into a story that isn't about their sexuality at least until they decide to cast a "spoiler" guy to make trouble for them. I wouldn't at all mind to see them happy for awhile, just involved in another kind of storyline. That said, I do think that the whole gay storyline will be eased away if CM decided to leave, which he probably will. I think FS could carry a gay plot on his own, and maybe if they write him well - he could stand on his own for awhile, but my gut is that they'll send Wilson off into the sunset if CM leaves.
Edited by Honeybees, Jun 27 2012, 07:29 PM.

Aldo
Member Avatar

I think he indeed was the blind item since he is looking thinner.

He's always been gorgeous, but he looks even more f*ckin' gorgeous now.

michr544125

I think so also Aldo that he was the blind item. I always thought he looked hot but it's obvious how much weight he has lost in the past few months :smile: . His face is so drawn in.

I'm trying to remain positive about this gay storyline. Maybe I am being naive but all that could be meant by Will's gay story being put on the backburner (if that was even said at all) is that come September Will's coming out story along with Sonny's involvement in it becomes secondary to another story coming for Sonny. Will and Sonny are gay but that doesn't define them. They should be treated like any other characters and given the same story opportunities. It sounds like Sonny definitely has a big story coming up and it's not just a few weeks of a story. About.come who has always been legit in the past said reported a meaty story for Sonny several weeks ago and Freddie has now confirmed whatever this is lasts at least more than two months. It sounds like unlike the past few months this story is mostly about Sonny and Will will probably support him and Sonny is probably going to be more defined as a character. I will be disappointed though if we get to see no romance play out between Sonny and Will. I am all for them in a non gay related story as long as they are treated like a real couple..that's hoping they are a couple.
Edited by michr544125, Jun 27 2012, 10:29 PM.

eugenie

The Emmy's what?
Edited by eugenie, Jun 28 2012, 06:39 AM.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

I just like him!

TFP!

Killer Tomato

I love Freddie Smith's attitude. He's good at personal public relations. Clever guy. Days gay story line leaves much to be desired. However, I can't help but love this particular gay story line with Will and Sonny even more than the countless others that show much more physicality in the gay relationships and much more story material...there are several I've watched online. Days just has a ton of other characters that I am also invested in, some on canvas and some not seen in years that could return at any moment.

michr544125

Another interview Freddie did at the Emmy's. This one with Michael Fairman. He seems like a really cool guy and not the typical Hollywood person. Sounds to me WilSon isn't far off. Maybe things are about to change very soon story wise. I hope :lol: .

http://michaelfairmansoaps.com/days-of-our-lives/freddie-smith-interview-days-of-our-lives-39th-annual-daytime-emmy-red-carpet/2012/06/28/
Edited by michr544125, Jul 1 2012, 10:52 AM.

supercool74
Member Avatar

"I'm dating a potential Emmy winner" sounds to me like WilSon is fast approaching. At first he said "potential love interest". But then flat out said "dating". :rockon:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply