Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Newsroom
Topic Started: Jun 30 2012, 10:56 PM (916 Views)
NocturnalBlondie
Member Avatar
Make EJ/Abby happen, DAYS!

Who watched this? It premiered last Sunday on HBO! It's SO SO good! They have the first episode on HBO.com for free if anybody's interested. The second episode is tomorrow night! :)

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Started a thread a while back on this show : http://daytimeroyaltyonline.com/topic/8682649 but there was not much buzz on this board...

I watched it - I thought it was good even if it takes itself very seriously. I'll continue to watch.

The music (theme and background) both seemed inapropriate for the show - that bugged me.

michelle
Member Avatar

I loved it. It pretty much summed up my thoughts about politics in this country in the first 5 minutes.

It's a bit contrived as many shows are but the writing/dialogue is fantastic and the acting is stellar.

LPS
Member Avatar

I hate this show. I can't stand the main character... he is smug and self-righteous. Somehow this douche thinks he has the universal truth and everyone else is hacks. And these long soliloquies by the characters are boring and all the other characters gaze at him with amazement. Everything is reduced to simple and false dichotomies. Plus, this show is very outdated. This is how I imagine CNN operated in 1998. Today's media has evolved so rapidly.
Edited by LPS, Jul 2 2012, 11:24 PM.

Lil
Member Avatar

I loved the first epi. It was SportsNight only with the news and clearly a show that Aaron Sorkin has been wanting to do for a long time. Glad HBO took it on.

The 2nd epi, however, I fell asleep during and haven't rewatched yet.

I don't like that it's on after True Blood though. I know Sunday is the big HBO show night, but the shows one right after the other kind of don't gel for me. But whatever. That's what DVR is for.

michelle
Member Avatar

I think this series gets better every episode.

It actually makes me find Jeff Daniels hot, which is in and of itself a miracle.

I can't wait for Will and Mack to get back together. And I'm even crushing on the Jim/Maggie/Don triangle.

The writing is just so damn good!

Aaron Sorkin for President!
Edited by michelle, Jul 17 2012, 11:48 AM.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

I'm really enjoying it too.

The show's main strength is its dialogue - without it, the show would be awful - there is a lot of smugness and cornyness hidden under there...

LPS
Member Avatar

I decided to give this show one more chance. It just pissed me off, LOL.

First, the women are a disgrace on this show. They are pathetic and act childish and Will treats them like children.

Maggie/Don/Jim- no one in this triangle really has chemistry. While the romance is the best written portion of the show, it goes overboard.

They really need to start a drinking game for every time the phrase "I'm a Republican" gets uttered. Yes, because by making the main character a Republican, that makes the show centrist. Its more like a David Frum wet dream.

Most importantly, the sanctimonious attitude of the characters just bug the sh*t out of me. Will talking about "civilizing" everyone and how he said he was a "newsman" reminded me of SNL's Church Lady. Or the bleeding heart "she's a person speech". Finally, the ridiculous comment comparing Michelle Bachaman to a child molester was hypocritical. Bachaman comes across bat sh*t crazy in real life, but the woman does a great of work in foster care, so I thought it was pretty tacky to compare her to such scum.

Importantly, Sorkin missed the important aspect of the media's coverage of the Gifford's shooting. The media claimed the shooting was caused by heated political rhetoric (ironically started by Ms. Jane Fonda), but the shooter was mentally insane and had nothing to do with political ideology.

Rant done. I decided to give the show another shot, but it is way too preachy for my tastes.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

LPS, most of what you say is true, but I still enjoy watching it - they aren't dealbreakers for me to enjoy the show. I do understand where you coming from though.

michelle
Member Avatar

Last nights' show was so good!

I was actually TEARY at the end.

I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't seen it, but I thought last night was MUST SEE.

ScorpioQueen
Member Avatar

I can officially call myself a fan of this show now. I liked the beginning of the first episode but the interpersonal drama wore on me as it went on. For a while I was only watching because of Dev Patel :wub: then I saw the episode with Gabby Gifford's shooting and I LOVED it. I was so excited to watch the Newsroom last night and the episode was great. Yeah I'm rooting for Will/Mack to get back together. Will clearly is not over Mack. The ball's kinda in her court. I've reluctantly become interested in the Jim/Maggie/Don triangle but Maggie is a ditz and has chemistry with neither of the guys. The writers and casting department could've done better. The portrayal of women could definitely be better. Mack's okay but my favorite female character is Sloan the financial analyst simply because she knows her stuff but admits she sucks at interpersonal relationships which is like me lol.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

I thought the latest episode felt more Disney than HBO. Very corny.

:peek:

michelle
Member Avatar

Southofsoap
Jul 24 2012, 03:07 PM
I thought the latest episode felt more Disney than HBO. Very corny.

:peek:
But life is a little corny, so it's okay!

I was touched by the whole line outside the door, but even more impressed that Will would use his own money to get that reporter back.

And right after he defends his staff to that horrible gossip writer, they in turn prove to him just how much he means to them as well.

Lil
Member Avatar

With every new episode, I find Maggie more and more annoying lol

michelle
Member Avatar

Lil
Jul 25 2012, 11:05 AM
With every new episode, I find Maggie more and more annoying lol
She's an annoying actress. She bugged the crap out of me in that Michael Cera movie, Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

any sites anywhere for me to download eps of THE NEWSROOM...since I don't have HBO and all. Would love to watch it.

Lil
Member Avatar

NavJLee8785
Jul 25 2012, 11:57 PM
any sites anywhere for me to download eps of THE NEWSROOM...since I don't have HBO and all. Would love to watch it.
Dammit. I knew of a site...tvpirate.com? Something like that where you can get free episodes of HBO shows. I can't remember the exact name. I'll try to find out and post it for you.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

NavJLee8785
Jul 25 2012, 11:57 PM
The first episode was freely available accross the web I believe, not sure anymore.

NavJLee8785
Member Avatar
Always the Panic Spreader

I found it...thanks, though :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply