Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ratings for the Week of June 25-29, 2012
Topic Started: Jul 6 2012, 08:09 PM (3,682 Views)
ChampagneRiver
Member Avatar

(SoapOperaNetwork.com) - Ratings Report for the Week of June 25-29, 2012

Numbers are based on Live+Same Day ratings

(Compared to Last Week/Compared to Last Year)

Total Viewers
1. Y&R 4,543,000 (+272,000/+25,000)
2. B&B 3,338,000 (+198,000/+438,000)
3. DAYS 2,329,000 (-47,000)
4. GH 2,277,000 (-145,000/+78,000)

Households
1. Y&R 3.4/10 (+.2/+.1)
2. B&B 2.5/7 (+.2/+.4)
3. GH 1.7/5 (-.1/same)
3. DAYS 1.7/5 (-.1)

Women 18-49 Viewers
1. Y&R 866,000 (+86,000/-52,000)
2. B&B 679,000 (+81,000/+113,000)
3. GH 558,000 (-10,000/-85,000)
4. DAYS 456,000 (+8,000)

Women 18-49 Rating
1. Y&R 1.4/9 (+.2/same)
2. B&B 1.1/7 (+.2/+.2)
3. GH 0.9/5 (same/-.1)
4. DAYS 0.7/5 (same) <------ ties low (2nd straight week)

Women 18-34 Rating
1. Y&R 0.6 (+.1/-.2)
2. B&B 0.5 (+.1/same)
3. GH 0.4 (same/-.1)
4. DAYS 0.3 (-.1) <------- new low *

* Previous low: 0.4 (June 18-22, 2012)

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/news/ratings-big-week-for-bbyr
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

JDeveraux_91
Member Avatar

Holy moly! Days got a 1.5 on Thursday? That sucks. Looks like Days and GH are in competition for the bottom spot.

JtSmarts
Member Avatar

B&B is monstrous right now, +.4 from last year WOW! :OhMy: :wow:

lysie
Member Avatar

I didn't like Thursday and Friday, but I know a lot of people did. That's a shame it didn't show in the ratings.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

I don't even watch B&B and I am pretty sure its the best soap so I can't complain about their huge surge. This has been a fantastic year for them. Sad to see DAYS and GH sinking to insane lows. Wow, GH's overall numbers are scary to look at. I hate to think its going to get cancelled for another hour of Good Morning America.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

I never really understand judging ratings based on what happens. I would say at least 75% of the people that watch the show don't know who is going to be on until they start watching. The only way I really contribute a ratings spike to anything is if something is on the show for like three episodes in a row. Otherwise its impossible to judge.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

reagon

B&B keeps chugging along. That show is the sleeper of the year. While they've had a down week here and there, it's remained steady even over the summer. And proves if there is something to watch folks will tune in. The location shoot in Italy was gorgeous and it breathed some new life into the Liam Hope Steffy triangle. They also from my perspective handled the Karen Spencer coming out story a heck of lot better than days handled theirs. Granted the airtime has been weak but a mature woman raising her daughter with another one and who's brother is a slime is pretty soapy start. Joanna Johnson is also 10 times the actor Chandler Massey and most on Days are.

Also congrads to Y&R for a stellar week. That's how you handle drama and it was a well done buildup to Paul shooting Ricky. Now it will be interesting to see if the fallout to that maintains some level of what they gained. Doug Davidson againnand again proves how underrated he is.

Days and GH less said. For all the attention they get online, they deserve those numbers. Both shows are dreadful in diff ways.

lovinsafe
Member Avatar

I hope Doug Davidson gets nominated for an Emmy next year with this story line his acting has been phenomenal...Some of the best I've seen on a soap in a long time! :popcorn:

lazydazes
Member Avatar

Doug Davidson pulled me in during those episodes. When he was forced to shoot his son, you could see/feel his deep remorse. Loved the high drama!
And B&B is making me watch EVERYDAY. Most of my DAYS friends have tuned out of Salem and are watching B&B now. So, I understand the show's ratings going up. The sets are fabulous, its fast-paced, the stars are glamorous, etc. And they're able to chunk a lot of story in 30 minutes plus leave a mini-cliffhanger at the end of each episode to interest you into tuning in the next day.
As for DAYS, they deserve these stinking, rotten numbers. With the exception of James Reynolds/Renee Jones tear-jerking performances, the whole week sucked.
But, what else is new? :sleep:

Eric83
Member Avatar
"Relax nobody's having sex.... at least not yet"

Days' demos are scary.

I can see Y&R/B&B chugging along by themselves long after the other soaps have gone.

JDeveraux_91
Member Avatar

lazydazes
Jul 7 2012, 09:16 AM
Doug Davidson pulled me in during those episodes. When he was forced to shoot his son, you could see/feel his deep remorse. Loved the high drama!
And B&B is making me watch EVERYDAY. Most of my DAYS friends have tuned out of Salem and are watching B&B now. So, I understand the show's ratings going up. The sets are fabulous, its fast-paced, the stars are glamorous, etc. And they're able to chunk a lot of story in 30 minutes plus leave a mini-cliffhanger at the end of each episode to interest you into tuning in the next day.
As for DAYS, they deserve these stinking, rotten numbers. With the exception of James Reynolds/Renee Jones tear-jerking performances, the whole week sucked.
But, what else is new? :sleep:
Completely agree with this. Doug Davidson's performance on Y&R has been phenomenal and B&B has me pulled in as well. Though I can't understand why those 2 girls are fighting over that doofus Liam, the drama is great and I can't wait to see if/when the idiot gets caught in his lies. Both shows are superior to Days in their look and quality. I've also tuned out of Salem with the exception of clips now and then. I do think that Y&R and B&B will be the last soaps standing.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

This is only the beginning. Right around the last week of June you usually see the numbers begin to tail off and then it's a rollercoaster of highs and lows until September when soaps begin to recover. The next 6-8 weeks should be very ugly for soaps but especially Days and GH, who rely very heavily on young viewers. I know B&B going "younger" has helped them but even B&B lost viewers as the week went on so those younger viewers began to tune out or switch to later DVR viewing as the week progressed, which is understandable given that is around when people begin to take off for summer vacations and everyone begins to be in summer mode. I think B&B will find itself experiencing the same issues the other soaps will this summer, even with the great year they've had. The audience just isn't there in summer.

What B&B has done this year does support what NBC wants Days to do though. B&B built around it's younger set and saw gains. Days did that in 2009 and had sustained gains too until they destroyed everything they built in 2010-2011. Days really needs to bring back some viable younger characters and keep on the most important vets and use them to support the young characters. It's the only direction in recent years that has seemed to work for soaps.

lightandday
Member Avatar
HBD-Nesta Robert Marley,February 6, 1945 BitchesBrew

Quote:

Doug Davidson again and again proves how underrated he is.

Quote:

I hope Doug Davidson gets nominated for an Emmy next year with this story line his acting has been phenomenal...Some of the best I've seen on a soap in a long time!

Quote:

Quote:

Completely agree with this. Doug Davidson's performance on Y&R has been phenomenal

Wanted to echo the above sentiments on Doug's recent stellar scenes you all have said it best here with your remarks it sure felt like old times for me watching he & Peter Porte deliver such intense drama.

Crazy4Ejole

B&B is crap, everything is repetitive and they try to use glamour and location shots to try and makeup for the fact that the writing is weak at best and the stories uninteresting.

WGuyMd35

Quote:

Days did that in 2009 and had sustained gains too until they destroyed everything they built in 2010-2011. Days really needs to bring back some viable younger characters and keep on the most important vets and use them to support the young characters. It's the only direction in recent years that has seemed to work for soaps.

While I don't disagree with this, one of the reasons they abandoned that in 2010 was because fans were bitching they didn't want to see the teens and didn't like the vets propping the younger set. Right now, it seems the star of Days is Will (and EJ) - a good pairing of younger/older. They just need to get them doing something more than talk.

They really don't have a good younger set anymore, Melaine/Molly is a star, but she is leaving. Chad and Gabi have limited range and are generally disliked. Abigal was good in the Austin stalking storyline, but the pairing with Cameron is a snooze. All that is left is Sonny & Will, but the show is shying away from anything gay, from what I've heard. The remaining kids on the show are all too young to be teens without rediculous SORAsing (Johnny/Allie/Sydney, Ciara, Theo). Perhaps Claire will return with Shawn and Belle at some point as a 16yo.

Aliaron
Member Avatar

WGuyMd35
Jul 7 2012, 08:05 PM
Quote:

Days did that in 2009 and had sustained gains too until they destroyed everything they built in 2010-2011. Days really needs to bring back some viable younger characters and keep on the most important vets and use them to support the young characters. It's the only direction in recent years that has seemed to work for soaps.

While I don't disagree with this, one of the reasons they abandoned that in 2010 was because fans were bitching they didn't want to see the teens and didn't like the vets propping the younger set. Right now, it seems the star of Days is Will (and EJ) - a good pairing of younger/older. They just need to get them doing something more than talk.

They really don't have a good younger set anymore, Melaine/Molly is a star, but she is leaving. Chad and Gabi have limited range and are generally disliked. Abigal was good in the Austin stalking storyline, but the pairing with Cameron is a snooze. All that is left is Sonny & Will, but the show is shying away from anything gay, from what I've heard. The remaining kids on the show are all too young to be teens without rediculous SORAsing (Johnny/Allie/Sydney, Ciara, Theo). Perhaps Claire will return with Shawn and Belle at some point as a 16yo.
How in heaven's name is WIll and EJ considered younger and older? I always thought older meant vet and JS is sure as hell not a Days vet.

Days sucks. Its centered on a character who has been shown time and time again not able to carry the show yet they keep putting the entire show on his shoulders just to see it collapse time and time again.

Maybe they are having fun with it all? They slowmo the collapse and sing a song to it?

lysie
Member Avatar

Days wasn't focused on a younger set in 2009. It was focused then on the same people it's focused on now.

reagon

PhoenixRising05
Jul 7 2012, 02:40 PM
This is only the beginning. Right around the last week of June you usually see the numbers begin to tail off and then it's a rollercoaster of highs and lows until September when soaps begin to recover. The next 6-8 weeks should be very ugly for soaps but especially Days and GH, who rely very heavily on young viewers. I know B&B going "younger" has helped them but even B&B lost viewers as the week went on so those younger viewers began to tune out or switch to later DVR viewing as the week progressed, which is understandable given that is around when people begin to take off for summer vacations and everyone begins to be in summer mode. I think B&B will find itself experiencing the same issues the other soaps will this summer, even with the great year they've had. The audience just isn't there in summer.

What B&B has done this year does support what NBC wants Days to do though. B&B built around it's younger set and saw gains. Days did that in 2009 and had sustained gains too until they destroyed everything they built in 2010-2011. Days really needs to bring back some viable younger characters and keep on the most important vets and use them to support the young characters. It's the only direction in recent years that has seemed to work for soaps.
I may be proven wrong but I am betting B&B continues to maintain such as OLTL did last summer.

I also think unlike Days, B&B has a strong younger cast that clicks and is able to carry story, something I have not seen on Days or any other soap in a very very long time. The younger cast is not simply the young storyline, it is the storyline on B&B while Brooke and Ridge have been thankfully moved into supporting roles. Liam, Steffy, Hope and if they ever use him I'll throw Rick in there also. The cross dressing arc with Caroline, Rick, and Amber was also kind of cute and comic relief. I haven't seen the level of talent on Days in their younger cast in many years along with believable chemistry.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

lysie
Jul 9 2012, 07:21 AM
Days wasn't focused on a younger set in 2009. It was focused then on the same people it's focused on now.
Yeah, it was.

They made Arianna/Brady/Nicole/EJ/Sami/Rafe the center of the show and then formed a really good potential quad in Nathan/Stephanie/Philip/Melanie. They also had Lucas/Chloe/Dan and were building something with Will/Mia/Chad. The show was skewing younger. The vets were no longer being represented as the top tier group. True, Bo/hope/John/Marlena/Steve/Kayla had been backburnered alot in recent years but they were still being touted as the A players. They were no longer being represented as such as 4 of them were fired and the two leftover were pushed to the backburner. Hence, the show went in a younger direction. True, the Sami/Rafe/Nicole/EJ grouping isn't exactly very young but it's younger than the vet grouping of Bo/Hope/Marlena/John and being represented as such.

It doesn't matter anyway. It's all about the STORY. It doesn't matter who is on every day or who keeps getting the same material. If the story is good, it will work. If the story blows chunks, it won't.

lysie
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jul 9 2012, 10:32 AM
lysie
Jul 9 2012, 07:21 AM
Yeah, it was.

They made Arianna/Brady/Nicole/EJ/Sami/Rafe the center of the show and then formed a really good potential quad in Nathan/Stephanie/Philip/Melanie. They also had Lucas/Chloe/Dan and were building something with Will/Mia/Chad. The show was skewing younger. The vets were no longer being represented as the top tier group. True, Bo/hope/John/Marlena/Steve/Kayla had been backburnered alot in recent years but they were still being touted as the A players. They were no longer being represented as such as 4 of them were fired and the two leftover were pushed to the backburner. Hence, the show went in a younger direction. True, the Sami/Rafe/Nicole/EJ grouping isn't exactly very young but it's younger than the vet grouping of Bo/Hope/Marlena/John and being represented as such.

It doesn't matter anyway. It's all about the STORY. It doesn't matter who is on every day or who keeps getting the same material. If the story is good, it will work. If the story blows chunks, it won't.
I don't see how the age of the cast is any different now except that the "young" people have aged. I agree that it's the story that makes a difference, but trying to say the show was skewin younger then is false, IMO. The show is still focusing on the same characters only they've swapped one twenty something group for an even crappier twenty something group. And the vets weren't getting a whole heck of a lot of focus prior to 2009 anyway. That focus dropped around 2005-2006.
Edited by lysie, Jul 9 2012, 10:39 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply