Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ratings for the Week of June 25-29, 2012
Topic Started: Jul 6 2012, 08:09 PM (3,543 Views)
PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

reagon
Jul 9 2012, 06:33 PM
Ok well I don't get that logic. First it's younger people don't just tune in for younger characters therefore B&B will tank. Now it's that B&B are featuring the same characters in the summer they have all year and it's an issue. I can't keep track. Oh well I remain optimistic.
Let me clarify...

B&B's resurgence has been built on focusing the show on younger characters. Clearly, they attracted a good amount of younger fans judging by how well they've done in demos during this resurgence. Therefore, because summer usually doesn't bode well for soap ratings, especially those relying heavily on younger viewers, I'm fearful of what that could mean for B&B and for all soaps, in general. That is why I pointed out the daily numbers because B&B was already losing viewers later in the week last week and that was right about the time people began to take off for vacations and summer seemed to enter into full swing. You saw lower numbers across the board for soaps later in the week. I really hope I'm wrong and I really hope they break the trend. I hope all the soaps will. I don't want you to think I'm taking anything away from B&B or that I don't want them to do well. I really enjoy the show and I really like that they went in this direction and embraced it. I hope more soaps do it. It's just that going in that direction has a disadvantage and that is summer. Hopefully, younger fans are so hooked on B&B that they will keep watching and, if they keep watching, hopefully they watch live or watch on their DVR the same day it airs so that the numbers don't fall off. Soaps need a success story and the better B&B does, the more likely it is other soaps take notice and follow their formula.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jul 9 2012, 06:12 PM
lysie
Jul 9 2012, 05:23 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jul 9 2012, 04:40 PM
lysie
Jul 9 2012, 11:58 AM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
Your right but the show felt like it was being held back by the vets. 2009 was the first time the show went in a younger, fresh direction in terms of who was at the center of the show and who was dominating the major stories and stuck with it for a long period of time. I think it needs that again BUT it can't make Rafe/Sami/EJ/Nicole what it was in 2009. They can still be frontburner but it's time to start thinking of them the same way Bo/Hope/John/Marlena were thought of in the early 2000's because they can't keep being central to every major story. What Eric83 said is a good point. If they could bring back the Last Blast crew and maybe throw in the returns of characters like Stephanie, Chelsea, and maybe a new legacy male character like Andrew Donovan that would be ideal. You would then have a good young core and wouldn't have to rely on the Sami/Rafe/Nicole/EJ group to dominate.
I don't understand how you can say I'm right and then immediately follow it up with a sentence that completely contradicts what I'm saying.
I said you were right that the show had been focusing on Sami/EJ/Nicole prior to that. Where I disagreed was that it was different once 2009 came on. Yes, those three still got major focus but there was no safety net of the vets. They weren't there. John and Marlena were gone. Bo and Hope were appearing a few times a month. The show basically handed the spotlight over to those three, Rafe,and a host of younger characters and committed to it. They committed to it because there was no safety net in the form of Bo/Hope and John/Marlena. The show made it evident that they were moving on and that had never happened before.
The vets were only not there as a cushion in the early parts of 09. When the ratings really surged, Bope and Kate and Stefano were being heavily featured and then they brought in Carly and Vivian.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

lysie
Jul 9 2012, 06:49 PM
PhoenixRising05
lysie
PhoenixRising05
Jul 9 2012, 04:40 PM

I don't understand how you can say I'm right and then immediately follow it up with a sentence that completely contradicts what I'm saying.
I said you were right that the show had been focusing on Sami/EJ/Nicole prior to that. Where I disagreed was that it was different once 2009 came on. Yes, those three still got major focus but there was no safety net of the vets. They weren't there. John and Marlena were gone. Bo and Hope were appearing a few times a month. The show basically handed the spotlight over to those three, Rafe,and a host of younger characters and committed to it. They committed to it because there was no safety net in the form of Bo/Hope and John/Marlena. The show made it evident that they were moving on and that had never happened before.
The vets were only not there as a cushion in the early parts of 09. When the ratings really surged, Bope and Kate and Stefano were being heavily featured and then they brought in Carly and Vivian.
Stefano, Kate, Vivian, and Carly weren't the vets that the show built around for nearly 3 decades. You could sort of say Srefano was but he was on and off so I don't count him.

I'm talking about the big 4 (John/Marlena/Bo/Hope). They carried the show for a LONG time and pushing them aside and even axing two of them made a statement that the show was moving on.

lysie
Member Avatar

PhoenixRising05
Jul 9 2012, 06:53 PM
lysie
PhoenixRising05
lysie

Stefano, Kate, Vivian, and Carly weren't the vets that the show built around for nearly 3 decades. You could sort of say Srefano was but he was on and off so I don't count him.

I'm talking about the big 4 (John/Marlena/Bo/Hope). They carried the show for a LONG time and pushing them aside and even axing two of them made a statement that the show was moving on.
Except it didn't take, lol. And it doesn't matter if those were the vets they'd relied on in the past. We were talking about age demographics. The show wasn't skewing younger in 2009. There are a billion other legitimate arguments for why the show did well for a little while, but skewing younger isn't one of them. That time period was 8 years after the show focused on a bunch of high schoolers. Young is not something the show has done for a long time.

DJsMommy
Member Avatar
❤Nikki

Eric83
Jul 9 2012, 03:45 PM
This show needs to drop the Sami/EJ crew and bring back The Last Blast Crew. It is an age group that is sorely missed. They are the ones that should be driving the show IMO.
Yep. And if Shawn D was around, maybe it wouldn't feel like Days soul is getting ripped out so much when Bo leaves. I can only imagine how much more interesting the Kate/Ian/Madison business story would've been with Philip in the mix also.
Edited by DJsMommy, Jul 9 2012, 10:04 PM.

PhoenixRising05
Member Avatar
GET EM STEPH!!

lysie
Jul 9 2012, 07:07 PM
PhoenixRising05
Jul 9 2012, 06:53 PM
lysie
PhoenixRising05

Except it didn't take, lol. And it doesn't matter if those were the vets they'd relied on in the past. We were talking about age demographics. The show wasn't skewing younger in 2009. There are a billion other legitimate arguments for why the show did well for a little while, but skewing younger isn't one of them. That time period was 8 years after the show focused on a bunch of high schoolers. Young is not something the show has done for a long time.
You don't have to focus on high schoolers to go younger.

I guess we will just agree to disagree on this. I still think the show skewed younger. I will agree with you, though, on the point that it wasn't tops on the list of why the show did well. There were much bigger reasons, most notably the stories, but I think it was one of the reasons.

demilyftw3
Member Avatar

wow not good for gh all 1.7 O_O

Evan
Member Avatar

I doubt that the ratings for DAYS will improve in any way after the latest reboot begins.
B&B is kicking ass - that Hope/Liam/Steffy thing is working well for them, although there'll come a point when Brad Bell has to settle the battle for dufus Liam, once and for all.

lovinsafe
Member Avatar

blueskies
Jul 9 2012, 11:42 AM
True, the average age of the cast has gone up, but the main issue is that the story lines are dull as dirt. There's nothing happening in Salem except Will's gay.
And donít forget the rape/romance story line! I donít know any rape victim that wants to have a romance with their rapist. This is the most insensitive story line too viewers on soaps today!

blueskies
Member Avatar

lovinsafe
Jul 12 2012, 04:47 PM
blueskies
Jul 9 2012, 11:42 AM
True, the average age of the cast has gone up, but the main issue is that the story lines are dull as dirt. There's nothing happening in Salem except Will's gay.
And donít forget the rape/romance story line! I donít know any rape victim that wants to have a romance with their rapist. This is the most insensitive story line too viewers on soaps today!
I would agree with you if we were back in 2007-2008, but I don't consider Ejami a couple now.

darraholic
Member Avatar
Pennsatucky

Jesus Christ. Must the word "Rape" come up in every DAYS thread? It was 5 fucking years ago. And this is coming from someone that could freaking care less about Sami and her men.

Sonny_BrendaFan
Member Avatar
Brenda: "Let the fireworks begin." Sonny: "With you and me, Brenda, it's guaranteed."

darraholic
Jul 14 2012, 01:03 PM
Jesus Christ. Must the word "Rape" come up in every DAYS thread? It was 5 fucking years ago. And this is coming from someone that could freaking care less about Sami and her men.
THANK YOU :hail: And I hate when couples are to blame for ratings. Nope I see it as a writing issue. Have compelling sl then you have interested viewers
Edited by Sonny_BrendaFan, Jul 14 2012, 01:14 PM.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

darraholic
Actually Fake Rafe, the one hired by EJ and Stefano did rape Sami. That was last year...another summer of suck! (And I wish I didnt have to care about Beast's life, but that's what DAYS has been about since 07.)

darraholic
Member Avatar
Pennsatucky

Liz<3Days
Jul 14 2012, 01:21 PM
darraholic
Actually Fake Rafe, the one hired by EJ and Stefano did rape Sami. That was last year...another summer of suck! (And I wish I didnt have to care about Beast's life, but that's what DAYS has been about since 07.)
My eyes have been raped having to watch Sami and her countless change of men for the last 5 years. I am just sick and tired of the word "Rape" being brought up by every fanbase as some leverage to pimp their coupling.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply