Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Celeste Holm Dead at 95; Appeared on ATWT, Loving, and Falcon Crest
Topic Started: Jul 15 2012, 11:24 AM (660 Views)
dc cubs
Member Avatar

Quote:

Celeste Holm Dead at 95

Academy Award winner Celeste Holm has died at age 95, according to a report on TV's NY1.

Holm's soap opera credits include roles as Lydia Woodhouse (guest appearance in 1986) and Isabella Alden In LOVING (1991-1992), Lauren Roberts In AS THE WORLD TURNS (1981) , Anna Rossini In FALCON CREST (1985). She earned an Emmy nomination for her guest appearance in LOVING in 1987. She taped her last appearance on the show 20 years ago today.

Holm appeared in over two dozen Broadway shows, including her debut in 1938 in Gloriana, and including Oklahoma, in which she originated the role of Ado Annie, Bloomer Girl, The King and I, Mame, Candida, and her most recent Broadway appearance in 1991's I Hate Hamlet. In 1964, she received an Obie Award for her work in an Off-Broadway production of A Month in the Country.

Holm earned an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her work in the film, Gentlemen's Agreement, and received Oscar nominations for Come to the Stable and All About Eve. Her other films included The Tender Trap, High Society, and Three Little Girls in Blue.

In addition to her Daytime Emmy nomination for LOVING, she earned Emmy Award nominations for Insight and Backstairs at the White House. Holm appeared as the FAIRY GODMOTHER in the 1965 television version of Cinderella and in numerous television series, including NANCY, ARCHIE BUNKER'S PLACE, THE BEAT and PROMISED LAND.

She is survived by her third husband, Frank Basile, and her sons.

Source: We Love Soaps
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Totally thought Matt would post this as I saw it on his Twitter. Either way, thanks for posting.

Luise Rainer outlives another one.

Bremol
Member Avatar

Sigh. Another one of the greats. I always loved her acting and her singing. RIP Miss Holm.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I remember her from Loving.

RIP

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Ms. Holm was also the widow of Wesley Addy who (in addition to a wealth of other soap roles) is best known as Cabot Alden on Loving.

There was quite the scathing newspaper article about Ms.Holm and her husband (who is SIGNIFICANTLY younger -- something like 40-50 years) and her long estrangement from her sons that didn't really pain anyone involved in a particularly good light (IMO).

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply