Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Latest Ratings - July 9 to 13
Topic Started: Jul 20 2012, 05:01 PM (4,112 Views)
reagon

This is a soap opera and like it or not what's worse than being bad is apathy. The show has felt so anemic since the reset. The first few months featured almost every couple playing kissy face with 2 events, the reset day and the EJami sexcapabe, neither of which had any real payoff. As bad as Higley was, viewers didn't seem Apathetic which is the worst for a soap opera. I mean the Kardashians are trash TV right but people still watch the train wreck it is. People brag about how great GH is now but that show is garbage full of cliches and gimmicks and bad acting. But it's like a trainwreck you can't take your eyes from. Also this idea of resetting stories every 3 months has been poorly executed than ever, because viewers are just expected to forget the stories told in the prior 3 months. I frankly don't care if the new writers are just all plot. That's all GH is. Provided the show is actually telling stories not moments.

But ratings do have factors other than quality that play into them. In fact I'd say quality if the last factor.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Since nobody watches DAYS on Fridays, I question the wisdom of the cliffhanger being on a friday.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Southofsoap
Jul 21 2012, 11:34 AM
Since nobody watches DAYS on Fridays, I question the wisdom of the cliffhanger being on a friday.
I agree. And to px's point I have seen very little promotion of it. Really - make that none at all. Other than the SOD cover (which is only going to reach the people who are probably regular viewers anyway) there has been virtually nothing. :shame:

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

I've got a question..

Are the ratings worse now than they were under Higley/Tomlin round one?

dc cubs
Member Avatar

SoapGal1
Jul 21 2012, 12:59 PM
I've got a question..

Are the ratings worse now than they were under Higley/Tomlin round one?
The HH ratings are about the same. It is the key 18-49 demo which is down considerably under Mardar. They keep hitting or tying new lows in the 18-49 demo. That is the big problem and the reason NBC wants the show to go younger.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

These new-- well old-- well something in between-- writers for Days have an uphill battle. I know that NBC wants the show to go younger but they're bringing in people from the past--not that I'm complaining because I'm not-- at all. I still contend that you have the core families on the show, why not expand with the "kids" of the "parents" who are on the show currently? I see B & B doing that-- the hot storyline is with the core family's kids but the parents are still involved in all of this too. It's such a basic storyline but one that seems to be hitting right now.

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

lovinsafe
Jul 20 2012, 05:59 PM
Until they put the Ej/Sami/Lucas show on the back burner itís not going to change we watched this entire BS in 07-08! But actually I love it because people think that these three will save DAYS! The show is standing in quick-sand and sinking very fastÖ
lucas did not have same airtime like ej and sami even rafe have more airtime than him i not get the why is add up and in last few weeks most time he was on his character was trash in order to pimp team ej to sami and will

outrageous
Member Avatar

Not any different than the ratings in the past couple of years, no matter which couples/characters have been on the front burner. It doesn't look like any of the returns made any difference either.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

I haven't seen it promoted at all, but no one watches NBC so even if they did promote it I don't know who they would be promoting it to. Pretty sorry situation. I don't expect big numbers for the cliffhanger. I expect a 1.7 maybe, which will be a nice boost from the 1.5, but still well below where they have to be hoping. Fridays do suck, ratings wise and a cliffhanger isn't going to fix that. The return ratings on a Monday are what will really tell the story.

Dee-anne

outrageous
Jul 21 2012, 05:06 PM
Not any different than the ratings in the past couple of years, no matter which couples/characters have been on the front burner. It doesn't look like any of the returns made any difference either.
It has been EJ/Sami/Rafe from 2010 to present day.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ Thanks to Reese for the Avi♥

Partnersincrime
Jul 21 2012, 04:01 PM
lovinsafe
Until they put the Ej/Sami/Lucas show on the back burner itís not going to change we watched this entire BS in 07-08! But actually I love it because people think that these three will save DAYS! The show is standing in quick-sand and sinking very fastÖ
lucas did not have same airtime like ej and sami even rafe have more airtime than him i not get the why is add up and in last few weeks most time he was on his character was trash in order to pimp team ej to sami and will
Yeah, I don't see anyone saying these three are going to save the show, the majority seem to be saying rest Ej and Sami and shift Lucas away from this mess and I have to agree and that is painful as a diehard Lumi but I'll deal with a Lucas story if it means he doesn't have to be in the middle of the other two.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

outrageous
Member Avatar

Dee-anne
Jul 21 2012, 05:59 PM
outrageous
EJ/Sami/Rafe/Nicole - from 2010 to present day. No combination worked, and the return of Lumi isn't cutting it either.

People have stopped watching soaps, it's the only explanation that I can think of.

outrageous
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Jul 21 2012, 06:50 PM
Partnersincrime
Jul 21 2012, 04:01 PM
lovinsafe
Yeah, I don't see anyone saying these three are going to save the show, the majority seem to be saying rest Ej and Sami and shift Lucas away from this mess and I have to agree and that is painful as a diehard Lumi but I'll deal with a Lucas story if it means he doesn't have to be in the middle of the other two.
Who's the majority? It all depends which site you visit.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar

outrageous
When the returns aren't given story how can they make a difference really? The Days of Marlena returning and seeing John on the pier are over....not because one return can't be amazing and raise ratings if written right but when Days doesn't even give thought to the returns then we have a problem....why did Jack have to fall into the cake? Why couldn't we continue with the PTSD storyline? Why did Lucas return at record speed to virtually just play a fool in the Ej and Sami 3 ring circus....who knows but really? Why couldn't they bring Jack back and enhance HIS story while continuing the Dannifer pairing and having Jennifer realize her love for him. Why couldn't they bring back Lucas as Sami's friend but in love with someone else and in a committed relationship with that person (which we WOULD SEE)...then have his feelings slowly return for Sami only to have HIM torn over what he has and what he thinks he might have with Sami again.....it's really not that hard....both stories have never been done before but Days would rather go back to not writing shit for Jack and going back to Ejami/Lumi which drove hundreds of thousands of viewers away the first time......but like Lucas says on Monday...the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over again and expecting different results....it's really that simple...Days PTB are just insane.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar

outrageous
Jul 21 2012, 06:55 PM
Dee-anne
Jul 21 2012, 05:59 PM
outrageous
EJ/Sami/Rafe/Nicole - from 2010 to present day. No combination worked, and the return of Lumi isn't cutting it either.

People have stopped watching soaps, it's the only explanation that I can think of.
but scripted dramas (which is what Days is in the end) are really attracting viewers left and right...problem is it's the scripted dramas with 'good stories' that attract viewers.....revenge, Dallas, true blood just to name a few are successful because they leave us wanting more, not because they write the same stories over and over.....I know it's different...soaps are on every day but I don't have to question who I should root for in these weekly shows i mentioned.....the formula works if they use it...it's when they try to tell me i should be rooting for something that makes no fucking sense is when I have issues and I lose interest, I bet I'm not the only one.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

I haven't stopped watching soaps-- I just think that, in Days case, there has to be balance. I have to tell you and I know this is not a popular opinion for some-- I'm so tired of Sami, EJ, Rafe and Nicole that I honestly don't even want to watch the show or even if I do, I don't want to see anything remotely about them-- which is most of the show. I'm tired of the back and forth with these characters and I'm tired of this show being about them all of the time. I like Lucas, I really do and I want him away from these four badly! I think there's so much more to the character of Lucas besides being with Sami. I think that there's more to any of these characters than being involved in this mess. I'm tired of the fanbases and that even turns me off too. It sometimes appears that just about every discussion goes back to them in some form or another. Maybe soaps are dying, at this point, I want to enjoy the ride and I WANT to see more than these 4.

Yeah, I know, I'll get a bunch of dislikes.... sorry....

lysie
Member Avatar

talbab1994
Jul 21 2012, 07:07 PM
I haven't stopped watching soaps-- I just think that, in Days case, there has to be balance. I have to tell you and I know this is not a popular opinion for some-- I'm so tired of Sami, EJ, Rafe and Nicole that I honestly don't even want to watch the show or even if I do, I don't want to see anything remotely about them-- which is most of the show. I'm tired of the back and forth with these characters and I'm tired of this show being about them all of the time. I like Lucas, I really do and I want him away from these four badly! I think there's so much more to the character of Lucas besides being with Sami. I think that there's more to any of these characters than being involved in this mess. I'm tired of the fanbases and that even turns me off too. It sometimes appears that just about every discussion goes back to them in some form or another. Maybe soaps are dying, at this point, I want to enjoy the ride and I WANT to see more than these 4.

Well, you get a major LOVE from me.

outrageous
Member Avatar

I for one don't want to watch Lucas and Sami as a pair again, or Sami and Rafe. Now Lucas with his supposed fiancee, a good story for Rafe, maybe looking into his past a bit, would probably interest me. Jack should have been in a good storyline, I agree. The ingredients were all there.

I don't think the current storylines are that bad, and some of the spoilers look good. I'm really looking forward to John exploring his Dimera heritage, and Kristin coming back for instance. But that's just me, and my preferences.

As for EJ, Sami, Lucas and Nicole, I like them all. I don't want any of them back burned, because I like all of their characters for different reasons separately, not because they're involved with one another, whatever combination. Rafe can go for all I care if he doens't get a decent storyline that would actually make me care about him even for an iota.

The trend I see is that no matter what couples they put together, or what storylines, people just don't watch. The ratings have been the same for years, so the only conclusion I can come to is that the GA simply doesn't care and have stopped watching long time ago.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

lysie
Jul 21 2012, 07:09 PM
talbab1994
Jul 21 2012, 07:07 PM

Well, you get a major LOVE from me.
Thanks Lysie! I appreciate that. :wave:

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

IMO it doesn't matter who is on screen. If the writing isn't there, if the stories aren't compelling and the characters are lackluster, it doesn't matter who or what characters or couples are featured. Let's face it, Days has brought on vets and newbies, shuffled couples and built new sets and still the ratings are in the toilet. I am hoping TomSell can give us some good writing and turn things around.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply