Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member suffering succotash in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Classic Days of Our Lives Discussion
Topic Started: Dec 16 2009, 07:59 PM (517,148 Views)
Kenny
Member Avatar

Just in time for Halloween!

Spoiler: click to toggle
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

nickyj12345
Oct 8 2012, 09:29 PM
With our beloved Kristen making a grand return this week, what Kristen storylines and moments should I relive on YouTube?
Here are a few!

Spoiler: click to toggle

DocandJohn4ever
Member Avatar

27 years ago today :D

FF to 1:54 to bypass the Pete and Melissa stuff

"We got to plan how were going to spring Bo from the Prison"

"Spring him?"

"Theodore I'm a pro at this kind of thing :lol:

god I miss Alice :frownie:

six
Member Avatar

Here's a random clip from 2001. I'm watching it for the parts where Jen thinks she killed JT, but I'm sharing it here, because of Lexie's crazy dream that starts at 2:30 and again at 7:00. What in the world were these writers thinking? It's almost as bad as the Garden of Eden scenes.
Edited by six, Oct 11 2012, 10:13 PM.

six
Member Avatar

I asked this in another thread, but I'll probably have a better chance of getting an answer, here.

What was John's connection with the woman in white/Rachel Blake?

This is probably a long shot but, does anyone know whether the music they used yesterday for the scene where Nicole was unraveling has been used before? It had vintage-soap sort of style, imo, but I didn't recognize it.

DocandJohn4ever
Member Avatar

six
Oct 12 2012, 09:33 AM
I asked this in another thread, but I'll probably have a better chance of getting an answer, here.

What was John's connection with the woman in white/Rachel Blake?

This is probably a long shot but, does anyone know whether the music they used yesterday for the scene where Nicole was unraveling has been used before? It had vintage-soap sort of style, imo, but I didn't recognize it.
This scene will probably explain it better than I can, but basically she was the key to helping John discover his past and she revealed why Stefano brainwashed him :)

six
Member Avatar

Thanks. She knew him as Johnny, so I assumed she knew him at some point after he lost his memory, but apparently not.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

John Black's backstory is nothing but a hot mess dipped in WTFery. Don't think about it too hard (or how it lines up in any sort of logical timeline) or it'll make your head hurt.

lysie

Matt
Oct 13 2012, 01:06 PM
John Black's backstory is nothing but a hot mess dipped in WTFery. Don't think about it too hard (or how it lines up in any sort of logical timeline) or it'll make your head hurt.
I wish they'd do like they did with Stefano/Ian, and just come in and say it was ALL a lie.

nickyj12345
Member Avatar

lysie
Oct 13 2012, 01:17 PM
Matt
I wish they'd do like they did with Stefano/Ian, and just come in and say it was ALL a lie.
I've been watching the Maison Blanche storyline for most of the evening (I'd never actually sat down to watch it before)... and the backstory presented in that plot vs. what we know of John Black now is just... :shame:

I mean, I am perfectly happy with shirtless John and Doc in lingerie running around a New Orleans mansion - but the writing! The writing is mesmerizing! Doc seducing Stefano. John and Marlena working together, and constantly teetering between romance and friendship. Stefano f'ng with e'rrybody. Celeste pining for Stefano. The woman in the robe upstairs wandering around.

James Reilly, come back to us!

Titus Andronicus
Member Avatar

nickyj12345
Oct 14 2012, 11:46 PM
lysie
Matt
I've been watching the Maison Blanche storyline for most of the evening (I'd never actually sat down to watch it before)... and the backstory presented in that plot vs. what we know of John Black now is just... :shame:

I mean, I am perfectly happy with shirtless John and Doc in lingerie running around a New Orleans mansion - but the writing! The writing is mesmerizing! Doc seducing Stefano. John and Marlena working together, and constantly teetering between romance and friendship. Stefano f'ng with e'rrybody. Celeste pining for Stefano. The woman in the robe upstairs wandering around.

It may be surprising to know that Drake Hogestyn complained at the time.

There's the scene where he discovers 'Johnny Black 1984' on the wall and there's another flashback of him being tortured by Stefano. Hogestyn's problem was that it directly contradicted a very established part of his history, that he chose the name John Black off a war memorial plaque in 1986.

Compared to now, that's barely a blip on the radar.

JTClassicSoaps
Member Avatar
J&M and Family Fanatic!

lysie
Matt
I would be fine with going back to John simply being Forrest Alamain.

nickyj12345
Member Avatar

Titus Andronicus
Oct 15 2012, 08:17 PM
nickyj12345
Oct 14 2012, 11:46 PM
lysie
Matt

It may be surprising to know that Drake Hogestyn complained at the time.

There's the scene where he discovers 'Johnny Black 1984' on the wall and there's another flashback of him being tortured by Stefano. Hogestyn's problem was that it directly contradicted a very established part of his history, that he chose the name John Black off a war memorial plaque in 1986.

Compared to now, that's barely a blip on the radar.
I understand that Drake also had issues with the random shaving he had to undergo - in storyline, because of some big dinner party or something (?), but in plot, because he had the host the Soap Opera Digest Awards.

I look at today's plots where John's backstory has become such a clusterfuck, and I miss the simpler times, where we knew John was Forrest Alamain. That's it.

I never understood why the writers had the fuck with who he was (Forrest Alamain, Daphne's illegitimate son, Ryan Brady DiMera). They could have screwed with the details of what he did during that time, but not who he was.

DocandJohn4ever
Member Avatar

20 years ago today :'(

( I know the beginning of the clip says November 92 but I double checked it's today :) )

here's the song that they originally used for the dance, the person who uploaded the clip had to switch out the audio otherwise youtube would have blocked the video due to copyright claims

Guinevere
Member Avatar
Bring back Jack!

Isabella's actual death scene aired on 19 October 1992. It was the same day (and time) Abby was born and her birthday (before they changed it to April for no reason) is the 19th. Though I'm sure the first part of the video did air on this date 20 years ago:)

DocandJohn4ever
Member Avatar

Guinevere
Oct 16 2012, 01:35 PM
Isabella's actual death scene aired on 19 October 1992. It was the same day (and time) Abby was born and her birthday (before they changed it to April for no reason) is the 19th. Though I'm sure the first part of the video did air on this date 20 years ago:)
I guess it must have been a Friday episode that carried over into Monday, I double checked Jason's website to make sure it was right before I posted it, because I saw it on another website first, he had it listed as today's date as well

http://jason47.com/days/45tribute9.html

Guinevere
Member Avatar
Bring back Jack!

^ My apologies..you're right. I just double checked my own tapes and Isabella's death does play out on the Friday episode (10/16) and some of the lead up to Abby's birth (Jennifer in labor). But Abby's birth took place on the Monday after Isabella had died. It has been a while since I watched this but I had always thought they took place during the same episode. There are still some scenes of John/Isabella in the Monday episode..after she has died though. :(

DocandJohn4ever
Member Avatar

Guinevere
Oct 16 2012, 02:31 PM
^ My apologies..you're right. I just double checked my own tapes and Isabella's death does play out on the Friday episode (10/16) and some of the lead up to Abby's birth (Jennifer in labor). But Abby's birth took place on the Monday after Isabella had died. It has been a while since I watched this but I had always thought they took place during the same episode. There are still some scenes of John/Isabella in the Monday episode..after she has died though. :(
it's ok you don't have to apologize :)

I do like the parallels of all of that though one life was being lost and another's was just beginning, the writing was so much more moving back then, I wish we could get that kind of writing back. Isabella's storyline had me crying from the moment she was first diagnosed to the moment she died, when they did Lexie's death I cried at some scenes but it just seemed like there was something missing from them :-/

lysie

I asked this on twitter, but no one responded so I'm going to try here. I'd like to see clips, or at the very least some episode descriptions, of Marlena choosing Carrie over Sami. Not from this last regime. While I don't agree that she did that with the last regime either, I at least know what others are talking about when they reference that. I want to see what people are referring to when they say "always." I can't even think of more than one time when she even had to make a choice between the two, and the time I'm thinking of isn't a great example either (and she chose Sami).

nickyj12345
Member Avatar

lysie
Oct 16 2012, 07:01 PM
I asked this on twitter, but no one responded so I'm going to try here. I'd like to see clips, or at the very least some episode descriptions, of Marlena choosing Carrie over Sami. Not from this last regime. While I don't agree that she did that with the last regime either, I at least know what others are talking about when they reference that. I want to see what people are referring to when they say "always." I can't even think of more than one time when she even had to make a choice between the two, and the time I'm thinking of isn't a great example either (and she chose Sami).
I've been thinking about this since I read this at work today (obviously, my job is very stressful and allows me time to think about Days of our Lives)...

1) Marlena asked Carrie to be her maid of honor at her aborted attempt to marry John in 1997. Carrie then proceeded, as an afterthought, to get permission from Marlena to ask Sami to be in the wedding - in order to test whether Sami legitimately had amnesia.

2) Marlena told Sami to go home after Austin and Carrie's 1997 wedding (including the slap heard 'round the world after Sami uttered to John, "You aren't my father... even if you ARE sleeping with my mother.")

...That's all I got.

If you asked to name the times when Marlena has chosen John over Sami, I could name plenty.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply