Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Classic Days of Our Lives Discussion
Topic Started: Dec 16 2009, 07:59 PM (53,096 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

nickyj12345
Oct 17 2012, 12:59 AM
lysie
Oct 16 2012, 07:01 PM
I asked this on twitter, but no one responded so I'm going to try here. I'd like to see clips, or at the very least some episode descriptions, of Marlena choosing Carrie over Sami. Not from this last regime. While I don't agree that she did that with the last regime either, I at least know what others are talking about when they reference that. I want to see what people are referring to when they say "always." I can't even think of more than one time when she even had to make a choice between the two, and the time I'm thinking of isn't a great example either (and she chose Sami).
I've been thinking about this since I read this at work today (obviously, my job is very stressful and allows me time to think about Days of our Lives)...

1) Marlena asked Carrie to be her maid of honor at her aborted attempt to marry John in 1997. Carrie then proceeded, as an afterthought, to get permission from Marlena to ask Sami to be in the wedding - in order to test whether Sami legitimately had amnesia.

2) Marlena told Sami to go home after Austin and Carrie's 1997 wedding (including the slap heard 'round the world after Sami uttered to John, "You aren't my father... even if you ARE sleeping with my mother.")

...That's all I got.

If you asked to name the times when Marlena has chosen John over Sami, I could name plenty.
I'll have to go back and watch that first one but I don't see how that second one is "choosing" one over the other. That's how I feel about everything this last year too. They weren't in either/or positions. That being said, I also don't see why it's a big deal. I can think of plenty of times Marlena "chose" or showed a preference to Sami over both Carrie and John (every single time she was kidnapped, every single time Sami was scheming and she chose to believe Sami's innocent act). Just because Sami has been whining about it for years doesn't mean it's true. I posted a clip in here a while back from 1999 where Carrie and Marlena are fighting and Carrie says something about Marlena always choosing Sami. Same thing applies. Just because Carrie said it doesn't mean it's true, but it does mean it's not as definite as Sami has made it out to be.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

And it also has to be considered that they are two VERY different relationships. Carrie grew up with Marlena as a friend at first, then Marlena quickly became the stable figure in her life, sort of accidentally became her mother (and again, Anna loved Carrie enough to realize that Marlena was a better parent FOR her) because they were very, very close. They never had big rifts, they never fought consistently (or in the case of Sami/Marlena, one side wants to ruin the other, the other strives to hold onto them). So Marlena choosing Carrie to be her maid of honor was very organic, because Carrie was, as much as she was a daughter, a very close friend. Carrie was also very protective of Marlena and of John, and their relationship, Sami loathed all of it. So that's not a choice between Sami and Carrie, because Sami was never an option.

A choice means there is an either or situation. It's what makes Sami/EJ in the car rape and not a choice to have sex with him. There was no viable, REAL alternative. Lucas dies or she's raped? That is not a choice. So it has to be either or, and I can't remember Marlena being in a situation like that and choosing Carrie over Sami.

Choosing to believe Carrie's side (also known as truth, more than "Carrie's side of things") of Sami's is something else, and it happened very rarely, and ALWAYS after giving Sami the benefit of the doubt (for a long time) first.
Edited by The Room Stops, Oct 17 2012, 10:16 AM.

Harmony233

I'm not sure hell back in the day lucas whined about kate favoring austin too that one i never got in a million years lol but most of the time marlena got pissed at sami because of some scheme she did

GatesRhiannon
Member Avatar

nickyj12345
Oct 17 2012, 12:59 AM
If you asked to name the times when Marlena has chosen John over Sami, I could name plenty.
Maybe it's because of the way I was raised, I was taught to revere my elders (even those I have little or no use for), and so I would beg to differ on that account. There is a big difference between putting the needs of a spouse over the needs of a child and refusing to put up with the blatant disrespect of one's spouse.

Due to poor writing there have been a few instances of Marlena having tunnel vision and so it appears that she is favoring John. Although this was more often than not more a case of a writing staff sticking characters on the proverbial island and minimizing cast interaction. People are always saying Marlena wasn't there for Sami when she was pregnant with Wil...forgetting that she was missing for a portion of that time and wanting nothing to do with her mother in the remaining time.

There have also been instances of Marlena showing her backbone and not tolerating Sami's often insane, cruel, hateful ramblings toward John. The 2nd example you provided of Marlena slapping Sami is in my opinion a better example of a poorly written (It seemed overly harsh, blatantly soapy & out of character for Marlena to strike anyone, much less one of her own children.) defense of John's honor than any attempt to favor Carrie.

Finally for every example that you can provide of Marlena favoring Carrie or John and/or even providing a disparaging reaction in regards to Sami's disrespectful rants toward John & Carrie...I assure you I could come up with at least 3 instances where Marlena sat there like a whipped dog and just absorbed Sami's anger and hate. Never mind all the the times that she actually made excuses for Sami and took responsibility for her vile words and actions because of one mistake, albeit a big one, made almost 20 years ago now. Coincidentally, Marlena still does that from time to time. She did it not so long ago when defending Sami to Wil. I think I hate that reaction most of all...How can Marlena ever expect her daughter to grow up to be a respectable, responsible, loving, independent person if she is perpetually enabling Sami's victim status?

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

Harmony233
Oct 17 2012, 12:44 PM
I'm not sure hell back in the day lucas whined about kate favoring austin too that one i never got in a million years lol but most of the time marlena got pissed at sami because of some scheme she did
during the first kate lucas spend lot time in broading school
so he left it it seem finally his time with kate so when austin and bille show up as her children and he already hate austin and kate try to get close with austin not so much with bille and when kate favor carrie to be with austin and seem to willing to tell austin bad stuff that happen like what vivan did to her[viv carries phillp]and refuse to tell him he felt she favor austin over him
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Okay my other question. I constantly read that Sami is always trying to please her family. Aside from the vendetta, when on earth did this ever happen?

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

lysie
Oct 17 2012, 04:39 PM
Okay my other question. I constantly read that Sami is always trying to please her family. Aside from the vendetta, when on earth did this ever happen?
never
its just myth

Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Jarlena4Eva
Member Avatar
Drake's Back!!

Five years ago today John Black died. :'( I know he came back to life, but ignoring that fact the scenes that lead up to John's death and eventually his death were just heartbreaking. Drake did a fantastic job and Deidre, just whoa...I still don't understand why she didn't win the Emmy for those scenes because she should have. Everything just seemed so final and real, and at the time it was.

Edited by Jarlena4Eva, Oct 17 2012, 07:24 PM.

esp13
Member Avatar

Those were some really great scenes. I know some feel differently, but I loved that Steve, Kayla, Bo, and Hope were all there. I thought it added a lot of different emotions and aspects to the scenes. It was all done so well by everybody. Dee did a great job, as did Martha. And Mary Beth totally went for the ugly cry. ;)

Jarlena4Eva
Member Avatar
Drake's Back!!

esp13
Oct 17 2012, 07:28 PM
Those were some really great scenes. I know some feel differently, but I loved that Steve, Kayla, Bo, and Hope were all there. I thought it added a lot of different emotions and aspects to the scenes. It was all done so well by everybody. Dee did a great job, as did Martha. And Mary Beth totally went for the ugly cry. ;)
I completely agree. It showed the effect John's death had on everyone, not just Marlena and Belle. The person that wrote these scenes along with his funeral scenes did a fantastic job. Especially, when Marlena went in their bedroom and saw the coffee cup and book on the bedside table. Ah...brings tears to my eyes just thinking of it.

nickyj12345
Member Avatar

Jarlena4Eva
Oct 17 2012, 08:33 PM
esp13
Oct 17 2012, 07:28 PM
I completely agree. It showed the effect John's death had on everyone, not just Marlena and Belle. The person that wrote these scenes along with his funeral scenes did a fantastic job. Especially, when Marlena went in their bedroom and saw the coffee cup and book on the bedside table. Ah...brings tears to my eyes just thinking of it.
I didn't watch Days for about 11 years between 2000 and the 2011 reboot. I have gone back and reviewed most, if not all J&M storylines during that period.

...I still can't bring myself to watch these scenes. I've watched, like, the first 30 seconds on YouTube, and then they get closeups of Drake/John and I start sobbing.

I. Just. Can't. Do. It.

DocandJohn4ever
Member Avatar

28 years ago today :)
I love the dialogue between Marlena and Roman here :wub2:

and since it was brought up before, 20 years ago today :)

Guinevere
Member Avatar
Salem needs Jack Deveraux. Bring Back Matthew Ashford.

Jack & Abby - My little Girl (2012 version)

bomber
Member Avatar

Guinevere
Oct 21 2012, 04:31 PM
Jack & Abby - My little Girl (2012 version)

Thanks for making me cry! So sad to think Jack and Abby will never get to have a father/daughter bridal dance.

Edited by bomber, Oct 22 2012, 03:02 AM.

Guinevere
Member Avatar
Salem needs Jack Deveraux. Bring Back Matthew Ashford.

^Not to worry I'm sure Jack's replacement will do a perfect job and she'll not miss Jack at all. :sarcasm:

Sorry for making you cry LOL. Made myself cry when I was making it..the thought of no more of these scenes between them (unless a back from the dead miracle occurs) :(

six
Member Avatar

6/19/79 - The Hortons and their friends react to Jennifer going missing.

Jason47
Member Avatar

six
Oct 25 2012, 09:35 PM

6/19/79 - The Hortons and their friends react to Jennifer going missing.
Nice find, plus it has the end credits! I only had credits for January and December 1979, so this helps confirm some contract info for June 1979.

nananana7

Fascinating.
I thought the teenaged brunette at the beginning looked vaguely familiar!
Thanks to the credits ... I see that's Tracey Bregman (Lauren Fenmore of Y&R).
I never knew she was on Days.

She spells her name now as Tracey
but the credits on that clip say "Tracy".

Edit to add:
IMDB says that "She added an 'e' to her name professionally in the early 1980s after an astrologist suggested it would help her with her career. A month later, she landed the role of Lauren on The Young and the Restless."
Edited by nananana7, Oct 26 2012, 01:50 AM.

six
Member Avatar

Glad it helped, Jason.

Jason47
Member Avatar

six
Oct 26 2012, 12:59 PM
Glad it helped, Jason.
Yes, very much so.

There were a few new things learned from this. With only the January 1979 and December 1979 credits available so far, the June 1979 credits show a few new pieces of info. Barbara Stanger was still on contract as of June 1979 (this limits the period to when she was taken off contract and placed on recurring to somewhere between July and December 1979). Also, with Laura's mother, Carrie, listed before George McDaniel (Jordan), this proves he started out as a recurring character, even though when I had emailed George years ago and asked him if he was on contract the entire time he was on "Days", he had told me yes. I had thought that odd, since most people had to work on the show for a few months back in the 1960s and 1970s before they would be considered for a contract. So, thanks to Carrie Spencer being listed before him, we now know he was on a recurring trial before being signed to a contract sometime probably in July or August 1979. He didn't last long anyway since he was written off with most of the cast in the spring of 1980.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply