Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Classic Days of Our Lives Discussion
Topic Started: Dec 16 2009, 07:59 PM (62,600 Views)
AdrianRennie

There's a site on YouTube that has rebroadcasted the whole 1984 Island storyline. I was suppose to work on editing this weekend and got so distracted by watching these episodes!! Those WERE the days !!! haha!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Oak Alley
Member Avatar
I'll always love you. Always

AdrianRennie
Nov 19 2012, 07:40 PM
There's a site on YouTube that has rebroadcasted the whole 1984 Island storyline. I was suppose to work on editing this weekend and got so distracted by watching these episodes!! Those WERE the days !!! haha!
Yes, the channel is Spiesoftheheart2. She has uploaded whole episodes, Bo & Hope from the beginning :wub: Roman & Marlena, Tony & Anna, Liz & Neil...

I watched The Island storyline on her channel one evening- at least I thought so, turned out I watched it from late night to early morning :D. So addiccting!!

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Thanks Andreas!

I could seriously not detest Roman Brady more. And Bo's so cute: "It's for Marlena. She's special." I love the real Bo & real Marlena's relationship :)

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Few things cross my mind while watching that list...

- The guy playing Pete Jannings is a REALLY bad actor. I've not seen much of him before, but oh boy! He's awful!

- I really cannot stand Roman Brady. Sorry, Wayne. He's a jerk to everybody, and I really feel for Bo.

- Holy crap, Kristian Alfonso was gorgeous in the 80s!

dragonflies
Member Avatar

Ugh I hated Roark's version of Mike, very sanctimonious and made Carrie intolerable

DocandJohn4ever
Member Avatar

anyone want to take a trip down memory lane?? I just came across this really awesome days tribute and thought I'd share it here :)

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

The Room Stops
Nov 18 2012, 12:31 PM
I uploaded some classic/old school episodes of DAYS to my domain, maybe some of you wanna see them again :) Please right click on the link and choose 'save to target', it saves my bandwidth.

1965 The First & Second Episode
Where it all began.
1st & 2nd

Frankie's Graduation 1987
Download

Cruise Of Deception 1990
Two episodes from one of DAYS most remembered, classic storylines. Jack and Jennifer fans, there's cave stuff in this, I believe!
Download Part 1 & Download Part 2

Jack & Jennifer's Wedding 1991
Jack and Jennifer's dramatic first wedding. Shot on location.

'One Stormy Night' 1992
The first (?) DAYS special Primetime episode.
Download

Night Sins 1993
The second DAYS special Primetime episode. John/Marlena's affair is featured as they try to resist temptation.

John Finds Answers To His Past 1994
Download

The Devil & John 1995 (Possession)
Download

The Devil Dies 1995
The beginning of the end of The Possession storyline.
Download

Secret Room 1997
Download

John / Susan's Wedding 1997
Susan is posing as Kristen as she prepares to marry John.
Download
The Room Stops the episodes you posted are great :D the only problem is it make me greedy :P and want to see more old epiosdes
especially if you compare the old ones to what is current now airing

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Ha, isn't that true! Thank goodness for youtube!

DoolMT

It does seem like NBC could just start showing old episodes of Days of our Lives starting over and probably achieve higher ratings than producing new shows. I, for one, would watch more readily than I do now. I keep up basically because of fond memories, but I have NO attachment to the current show now that Jack is off. Let's just start it over again in say, 1980, and go from there.

And, by the way, I was born in '79 and not watching until late 80s, but still..........I know it had to have been better.
Edited by DoolMT, Dec 9 2012, 06:31 PM.

peaches179

DoolMT
Dec 9 2012, 06:30 PM
I keep up basically because of fond memories, but I have NO attachment to the current show now that Jack is off. Let's just start it over again in say, 1980, and go from there.

I miss Jack so much. :(

CarlD2

So I was watching a moment where Faith confesses her love to Marcus, and...wow, they had good chemistry. I mean, intense, really strong chemistry. And then he basically had to respond in a way which was "I love you but not in that way," but felt like, "That's not going to happen, no way the show will put me with a white woman." :(

CarlD2

Watching some 1989 and, although I haven't seen enough to totally judge, the woman who played April doesn't seem to be able to act. I will say she has some chemistry with Nick. Watching some of this I can see why he stayed around as long as he did. The actor is very, very good.

It looked like they were setting Jack up as the interloper between Emilio and Jennifer. I wonder when they decided to just go with Jennifer and Jack.

She and Jack really did have effortless chemistry here (although her hair being flat-ironed to an inch of its life is distracting).

I wish they'd let Kimberly have a few happy stories. The whole thing with Shane's death and Cal hovering, it's so depressing. Then Eve tells her she's the reason Shane died. At least the avoided the cliche fake slap scene.

Were Kim and Calliope close friends?
Edited by CarlD2, Dec 15 2012, 04:17 PM.

Titus Andronicus
Member Avatar

CarlD2
Dec 15 2012, 04:14 PM
I wish they'd let Kimberly have a few happy stories. The whole thing with Shane's death and Cal hovering, it's so depressing. Then Eve tells her she's the reason Shane died. At least the avoided the cliche fake slap scene.

Kim invited a down-on-her-luck Calliope to live with them in 1988. Calliope had been living with Tom and Alice, but Tom put his foot down when she began filling the house with her stuff.

jwsel
Member Avatar

CarlD2
Dec 13 2012, 04:16 AM
So I was watching a moment where Faith confesses her love to Marcus, and...wow, they had good chemistry. I mean, intense, really strong chemistry. And then he basically had to respond in a way which was "I love you but not in that way," but felt like, "That's not going to happen, no way the show will put me with a white woman." :(
It could be that the show was still gun-shy about an interracial relationship after the controversy over Valerie/David a decade earlier, but I think the main obstacle to Marcus and Faith was that she was supposed to be extremely young and immature. Her "love" for Marcus was really more like a teenage crush. Maybe that isn't apparent from just a few scenes, but coming after the entire revival camp storyline, the age and maturity difference would have made an actual relationship between Marcus and Faith seem rather squicky to me.

(I will add that I didn't really see much chemistry. Melinda Clarke was not much of an actress at the time time and didn't really work as the naive, virginal Faith. And Richard Biggs, who I liked a lot as Marcus and in other roles, just never seemed to have chemistry with anyone.)
Edited by jwsel, Dec 15 2012, 10:14 PM.

jwsel
Member Avatar

CarlD2
Dec 15 2012, 04:14 PM

Kim falling for Cal was really horrible. He was so stalker-ish that I never understood how Kim could be deceived like that. On the other hand, I did like the Shane's death storyline for a few reasons. First, it was nice to get Shane out of Salem for a while. He had been stuck in a bunch of dull domestic storylines since 1987 while Steve and RoJohn were playing the action heroes. So the amnesiac "Sam" was kind of fun to see (though a little less of Rebecca's whining would have improved the storyline a lot). Second, I thought Patsy Pease and Charlotte Ross played the immediate aftermath of Shane's death incredibly well. That was some of their best work. Third, the initial amnesia storyline when Shane returns to Salem is great. It just goes off the rails toward the end and winds up not making sense, most likely because the writers had to rewrite the storyline when Patsy Pease refused to play the intended storyline in 1990. Instead, the conclusion seems rushed so that Shane and Kim can reunite just before Patsy is replaced.

I do agree that the show really did go overboard in giving Shane and Kim depressing stories. I suspect TPTB liked when Patsy played up the heavy emotional scenes, but it did seem to get to the point that any sign of them being happy meant another traumatic event was just around the corner.

CarlD2

Thanks, both of you, for answering my questions. I'll admit I've only seen a little of the Faith/Marcus story so can't really give a full opinion there.

It's too bad they didn't use Calliope to give Kim some more lighthearted times. Was this still when she thought Eugene was gone for good? I thought it was, but then she said something which implied otherwise.

I loved Wortham Krimmer on OLTL but you can just see the sleaze of Cal here, even when they're trying to hide it. I think he later said he was not happy with the role, although I might just be assuming that since it was recast.

jwsel
Member Avatar

CarlD2
Dec 16 2012, 05:01 AM
Thanks, both of you, for answering my questions. I'll admit I've only seen a little of the Faith/Marcus story so can't really give a full opinion there.

It's too bad they didn't use Calliope to give Kim some more lighthearted times. Was this still when she thought Eugene was gone for good? I thought it was, but then she said something which implied otherwise.

I loved Wortham Krimmer on OLTL but you can just see the sleaze of Cal here, even when they're trying to hide it. I think he later said he was not happy with the role, although I might just be assuming that since it was recast.
I'm trying to remember exactly how the Calliope/Eugene storyline went. He was gone, but returned while Shane was captured by Jericho, so I guess Calliope had moved in before then. For awhile, Eugene lived at Kim's house, because he built a Calliope robot. However, Eugene and Calliope were back together at the time of Shane's "death" because they attended the memorial together.

As for Cal, I think part of the problem was that he probably was intended to serve a very different role than he wound up playing. He came in as Diana's ex-husband, who had been held as a POW since Vietnam, but then Genie Francis left the show. I don't think the writers really knew what to do with him when that happened, so they had him become Kim's patient and move into the house while Shane was missing, but the way he constantly hovered over Kim gave him a obsessive, stalker-ish vibe. Unfortunately, the writers at the time tended to rely on crazy obsessive types like Adam, Cal, and Marina as threats to the main couples.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I've started a new blog to post scans from my Soap Opera Digest collection.

DAYS Synopsis (March 1976 issue)

DAYS Synopsis (April 1976 issue)

DAYS Synopsis (May 1976 issue)

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Full Episode -- March 19, 1979

The day after Stephanie Woodruff burns her hands (to remove her fingerprints) with the skillet (complete with flashback to the act)

Characters appearing: Stephanie Woodruff, Bill Horton, David Banning, Bob Anderson, Mary Anderson, Chris Kositchek, Laura Horton, Alice Horton, Amanda Peters, and Doug Williams.

CarlD2

It was nice to see more of Rosemary Forsyth as Laura (I actually thought she was very good - I'm sorry they let her go). To have her believe her mother was recovering and then her mother kills herself is just so unbelievably depressing. Then she nearly has the same fate. I wonder how many viewers this story drove away.

Seeing more of the Brooke/Stephanie story was the highlight. I wish I could see more. Did people at the time see the end (Stephanie being killed in a car accident) as a cheat?

Great to see some of Mary Frann as Amanda. Until this I didn't realize she was even still on by this time. They seemed to be teasing Doug/Amanda.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply