Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Classic Days of Our Lives Discussion
Topic Started: Dec 16 2009, 07:59 PM (58,562 Views)
SoapGal1
Member Avatar

six
Oct 13 2013, 02:33 PM
SoapGal1
Oct 12 2013, 09:15 PM
esp13
Oct 12 2013, 08:44 PM
six
Oct 12 2013, 05:51 PM
I like that daydream Steve has two eyes.
I always loved that as well. I thought it was a great touch that in his fantasies, he saw himself as "whole" because it's a great way of showing that the loss of his eye never really stopped affecting him. I also loved that Steve's fantasies were romantic while Kayla's were very sexual. Just another way of keeping the characters from being stereotypes.
I especially loved the Lady In Red fantasy. :wub2:
This just happened. If you could see me, I'd look at you like this ^o)
Bear in mind, I was 18 I think when this was happening, so I ate it up with a spoon.

And I'm still nostalgic.

If I was seeing it for the first time now, I'd probably be a little more critical.

Maybe... B-)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kriss4

I liked some of their fantasies, but the Lady in Red fantasy isn't my favorite.

I like the one where she has her first dream of Steve, because it shows her thoughts are shifting toward him, and he's not one dimensional in her mind anymore...Sure, he can still be a pain in the neck, kind of scary and intimidating, and a guy with a smart mouth that she wants to slap now and then because he's so darn annoying...but he also has some kindness in him that he makes light of and shrugs off as nothing.

If you watch them from 1986, you'll see exactly what I'm talkin' about.

pagraves
Member Avatar

Kayla's first Steve fantasy is hands down my favorite, mostly because it's the first time we know for sure that he intrigues her in a sexual way as well as a human one. We can see, building up to that moment, that she's looking at him differently, but is it just friendly? Is she really letting herself think of him as a man and not a guy in need that the tender-hearted Riverfront clinic nurse can help.

Oh, that was a delicious fantasy. So very sexy.

Another fantasy I liked, although it was so emotionally tangled that it doesn't quite count as a true fantasy, was the time he's just had an encounter with Britta, who at that point is still able to knot him up inside, and he's suffered an emotional loss after finding his friend shot to death on the pier. (Loved that pier). He's picturing Britta touching his bare chest, and her face starts flashing back and forth with Kayla's until he finally settles on Kayla as the woman whose touch he really needs. That's the point, I believe, that things with Britta truly end for him, even though they have one more sexual encounter after that. And I think that flashback was deliberately pieced together the way it was to provide viewers with that visual clue. Steve and Britta are done. Steve and Kayla have begun.

There's very little about that storyline prior to their first kiss that wasn't darned near perfectly conceived and executed. For the daytime medium, its consistency and continuity was remarkable, at least for those first six months.

Kriss4

Geez, now you're making me want to go back to 1986, LOL! And I'm in 1987 right now with the Johnson family stuff...and loving THAT! But 1986 is a real winner as well. The angst between Bo/Hope, Steve and Kayla meeting, Little Vic...man, Bo wanted to beat up Steve for that!

Hee. Well, I can go back and forth. Thankyou, you know who at youtube!

Kriss4

Hey, P...did you watch Days last week and see the Kayla stuff? I was wondering...and did you read Mary Beth's interview by DR? She got recurring in a new series that has yet to air on abcfamily!

somuchwhatever
Member Avatar
Brotherly Love

Hey! Where are you guys now? I'll jump in, too.

(I JUST finished these clips and I'm ready for another go. How's that for good stuff?)

Kriss4

The Guilty Plea #18

esp13
Member Avatar

somuchwhatever
Oct 13 2013, 07:53 PM

(I JUST finished these clips and I'm ready for another go. How's that for good stuff?)
Have you seen all of this before?

Kriss4

But I'm thinking to go back to the aborted date. You know the one? That one's all kinds of good, for different reasons.

Kriss4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v651yVfatBY&list=PLFF506AA3C23DBE39

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0fXWgoi7GE&list=PLC75E6564024B972C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh_OyQR43Iw&list=PLC75E6564024B972C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWd50kkrCOM&list=PLC75E6564024B972C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrxLufH9CFQ&list=PLC75E6564024B972C&index=128

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QB9ARPQYOcg&list=PLC75E6564024B972C
Edited by Kriss4, Oct 13 2013, 10:54 PM.

concerned
Member Avatar

Hope someone somewhere is taking notes.

somuchwhatever
Member Avatar
Brotherly Love

esp13
Oct 13 2013, 07:58 PM
somuchwhatever

About three weeks ago, I mainlined the Steve/Kayla/Jack storyline in its entirety with bradyclanfan's clips, so yeah, I've seen it before. I had seen a lot of it first-run but since I was, oh, I don't know, 13 or so at the time, a lot of it was like watching it for the first time.

I forgot to check back so right now, I'm watching some JnJ COD for about the 80 millionth time. I was in the mood for romantic and not so angsty, it would seem.

Kriss4

Yeah, I guess I had the same idea with the clips I posted. Some troubling conflict. Definite angst, but some great moments, too.

esp13
Member Avatar

somuchwhatever
Oct 13 2013, 10:14 PM
esp13
Oct 13 2013, 07:58 PM
somuchwhatever

About three weeks ago, I mainlined the Steve/Kayla/Jack storyline in its entirety with bradyclanfan's clips, so yeah, I've seen it before. I had seen a lot of it first-run but since I was, oh, I don't know, 13 or so at the time, a lot of it was like watching it for the first time.

I forgot to check back so right now, I'm watching some JnJ COD for about the 80 millionth time. I was in the mood for romantic and not so angsty, it would seem.
Thanks. I'm always curious if people are watching for the first time or just rewatching. I love to get reactions from first-time watchers.

The Steve/Kayla/Jack storyline was 3-4 years of greatness. I love all of the complexities along the way. And I really appreciate that they are all equal parts of that story.

somuchwhatever
Member Avatar
Brotherly Love

I'm actually just taking a break from watching some of the later JnJ years right now. Cleansing the palate, if you will. Some of the later stuff is just completely nuts (Melaswan, anyone?).

six
Member Avatar

SoapGal1
Oct 13 2013, 05:21 PM
six
Oct 13 2013, 02:33 PM
SoapGal1
Oct 12 2013, 09:15 PM
esp13
Oct 12 2013, 08:44 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
I especially loved the Lady In Red fantasy. :wub2:
This just happened. If you could see me, I'd look at you like this ^o)
Bear in mind, I was 18 I think when this was happening, so I ate it up with a spoon.

And I'm still nostalgic.

If I was seeing it for the first time now, I'd probably be a little more critical.

Maybe... B-)
Okay. :) My couple from when I was that age (phloe) had its share of cheesy scenes too and I loved them, so I can relate. Plus we'll always have ejami.

somuchwhatever
Member Avatar
Brotherly Love

OK, so I'm watching the clips from Christmas 1990 now and just got to where Kayla is opening the present from Steve. "A hundred years from now, our love will be a legend, too."

Well, they're almost 25 years in. 75 more to go.

LuLu2102

I watched all of this when it first aired. In fact, my usual routine after school was to watch the entire episode through, then just the Steve/Kayla scenes again, at least 3 or 4 more times. But my memory is still hazy about the timeline when I watch clips out of order.

I am loving this discussion, though! I remember so well the frustration of knowing that these two were so into each other, but not being able to admit it: either Steve got cold feet, or someone reminded him he was "no good for Kayla", or the phone rang with life-changing news. And maybe I was too young, but it never seemed repetitive to me. Every obstacle, whether character-based or plot-based, seemed organic to me.

Just watching the scenes of Steve and Kayla individually getting ready for the date that he ended up bailing on, I was reminded of how important small scenes like that were. We're able to see Kayla's excitement and optimism turned to worry and then disappointment, and Steve's struggle between his doubts and insecurity, and his hope that he really could love and be loved by someone like Kayla.

Anyway, in my confusion over timeline, I googled Steve and Kayla's Story and found this little article that does a good job of articulating what I used to love about the couples of the 80s, and I feel is missing in the ones today:

http://www.paulagraves.com/craftingpowerfulromance.htm
Edited by LuLu2102, Oct 15 2013, 06:00 AM.

pagraves
Member Avatar

Hah, LuLu! That's my article on Steve and Kayla on my website. :) I wrote that way back, before I even published my first book, I think. Steve and Kayla taught me a lot about the elements of a successful fictional romance, and I've never forgotten those lessons.

somuchwhatever
Member Avatar
Brotherly Love

There had been some questions in our original episode discussion thread about Jo's motivation for giving up Steve and Jack. I stumbled across this clip again today and thought I'd post it for those interested.

Jo explains to Jack why she gave up him and Steve. This was in the midst of the Baby Hannah storyline, where Jennifer tries to help a homeless girl who robs a store to go to jail so she doesn't have to have the baby on the streets. (This is the same storyline that original chem tests Jack and Jennifer when he's just really starting his redemption arc.) Social services has just come to take the baby from her in the hospital and Jack is feeling the effects of watching a child being separated from its mother. He and Jennifer argue at the hospital about why he doesn't take a stand editorially about the baby being taken away considering what happened with him, and Jo overhears him say that the situations aren't the same because Jo gave him up voluntarily. She comes to his office to tell her side of the story.

Joy Garrett was really underrated as an actress. She's so good as Jo.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply