Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Classic Days of Our Lives Discussion
Topic Started: Dec 16 2009, 07:59 PM (64,991 Views)
esp13
Member Avatar

^^I find it interesting what Jo leaves out of that story. When Steve tells Kayla about it, it's clear that Jo's decision to give up the boys came only after Steve tried to kill Duke. I think it comes up again when Jo tells Steve why she tried to find Billy and not him (she thought Duke might not be angry with Billy like he was with Steve). I'm not saying that she didn't want the boys to grow up in the abusive household, but the precipitating event wasn't her selflessness, it was Steve trying to save her by killing Duke.

I think Steve grew up believing that Jo choose Duke over him and his brother and, more than that, that being given to the orphanage was his punishment for what he had done. And I believe that part of Steve's inability to let "Billy" go and cut off ties with Jack, no matter what Jack did, is because he believed that the reason Billy was given away was because of what Steve did. He believed Billy was punished for his crime. So, all that love is tied up with a whole lot of guilt (which only gets worse when Steve decides to play God with Jack's life).

None of this was ever expressly discussed, but it's all there in the performances and it's what makes Steve's constant love and inability to cut Jack out of his life understandable, rather than enraging. It's why Kayla put her own feelings aside - because she understood Steve so well.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

somuchwhatever
Member Avatar
Brotherly Love

It'd be interesting to cull all of the Jo/Jack, Jo/Steve and Jo/Adrienne scenes together. There's a larger picture here that gets missed piecemeal. Regardless, it's all fascinating and extremely soapy family dynamics.

Love those Johnsons so much.

DesignatedShelley
Member Avatar

One thing I loved about Jo Johnson was how flawed and human she was, and more so, flawed as a mother. Her choices were interesting and understandable and at the same time very very consequential. Joy Garrett infused her with the inescapably compelling humanness inherent in the character's situation.

On television, and in other forms of fiction, people have an inability to look in the face the possibility that parents, especially mothers, are not perfect, were never perfect and will never be perfect, but they are still human beings with incredibly interesting stories. People require perfection from mothers, and anything short supposedly justifiably merits unilateral condemnation. Jo Johnson forced you to look at a mother who was very sympathetic and very imperfect at the same time. She could be biased, make overly emotional decisions, etc, but Joy played her with such desperate love that it was hard not to feel for her. I miss Joy.
Edited by DesignatedShelley, Oct 19 2013, 09:32 PM.

Jason47
Member Avatar

DesignatedShelley
Oct 19 2013, 09:01 PM
Joy played her with such desperate love that it was hard not to feel for her. I miss Joy.
In case anyone missed it earlier this year, here's the long-belated tribute I did for Joy on the 20th anniversary of her passing:

http://www.jason47.com/days/joygarretttribute.html
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

somuchwhatever
Member Avatar
Brotherly Love

And don't forget her alcoholism. That added even an extra layer in there that gave her more complexity and depth.

esp13
Member Avatar

Yes, Jo Johnson was very flawed. As a Steve and Kayla fan, it grated to no end how much she favored Jack and always put him before Steve (and especially before Kayla's feelings). Yet, I couldn't hate her for it, just feel sorry at the rejection she got for a long time. That's largely because Joy played the character so wide open that you couldn't fault her for her feelings, just shake your head at the choices.

Kriss4

Yeah, and at the family dinner, she's so very oblivious to Kayla's discomfort at Jack's presence. So is Adrienne. She and Jo are practically vibrating with cheer. There's no sensitivity on their parts for what Kayla might be feeling. Yes, Kayla's trying, because Jack has changed, and Kayla knows it, but you can see that it's hard for her. You'd never know it in Jo's gaze or in Adrienne's.

The writing acknowledged it on one front, but they could have done more.

Edited by Kriss4, Oct 20 2013, 09:54 AM.

esp13
Member Avatar

But I think that was kind of the point. It was completely in character that Jo had no concept of Kayla's discomfort and not out of character that Adrienne's enthusiasm about her brother overrode any thoughts of Kayla. Yet both Steve and Jack are acutely aware. It creates a much more interesting family dynamic that way.

Kriss4

Adrienne, as a victim of rape herself, should have been more aware of Kayla's feelings.

To this day, I still feel a little cheated that Kayla and Adrienne never had a conversation about it.

Last week, we were watching clips, and Kayla was there after Adrienne's rape. She kind of took care of her...was very careful of her, and very sympathetic.

Adrienne wasn't there for Kayla in the same way...was never there for her at all. Part of that was that Kayla kept it a secret for awhile, but even when it was common knowledge, Adrienne was not there for her.

It makes me sad now when I think about it. They never spoke of it, and they probably never will. If they didn't last week, it probably isn't even in the writers' thoughts at all.

I understand that the reveal was all about JJ. I knew that when I read the spoiler. But I was hoping since it was such a huge event in Kayla's life that she'd get a little more mileage out of it, as the original victim. I would love a scene this coming week that shows that Kayla's off a bit...still preoccupied and upset. Maybe fighting it, but still affected.

Edited by Kriss4, Oct 20 2013, 05:59 PM.

somuchwhatever
Member Avatar
Brotherly Love

Kriss4
Oct 20 2013, 09:52 AM
Yeah, and at the family dinner, she's so very oblivious to Kayla's discomfort at Jack's presence. So is Adrienne. She and Jo are practically vibrating with cheer. There's no sensitivity on their parts for what Kayla might be feeling. Yes, Kayla's trying, because Jack has changed, and Kayla knows it, but you can see that it's hard for her. You'd never know it in Jo's gaze or in Adrienne's.

The writing acknowledged it on one front, but they could have done more.

Agreed, and yet still totally in character for Jo. I've been watching the Nick's murder scenes and just got to the reveal scene with Jack. And here she's gone completely the opposite direction, setting aside her own moral judgments about revealing the truth, and all for Steve. It's almost like she sets aside everything good and right because she feels like she failed her oldest baby.

She spends a good amount of time during the course of the show dodging and weaving around telling the truth before Jack confronts her. It's definitely not heroic, but it is very Jo.

I wish it was out there in YT land (I picked it up from the fabulous D2D library). It's a pretty amazing scene, and it makes you realize just how underrated all the supporting cast at Days was (George Jenesky was a powerhouse in this scene with Joy Garrett, too).

jam6242
Member Avatar

I believe these clips are from early 1981. The first clip is interesting because there is a bit of a flashback of Joshua Fallon confronting Kellam Chandler about the death of Joshua's mother, Sunny. Other characters shown are Marlena, Johnny (the boy Marlena took in), Maggie, Trish, Jessica, Alex, Marie, Tom, Alice, Tod Chandler, and Mary Anderson. This seems to be shortly after Alex and Marie were in a plane crash together. Jessica doesn't yet know Alex and Marie are her biological parents. She calls Alex "dad" because he adopted her (which was strange to me until it was revealed her was her real father, although I don't think he knew he was when he adopted her).

six
Member Avatar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUEu0wqgYOA

I watched a ridiculous amount of Steve/Kayla scenes yesterday and this one really shocked me. I knew from the description that Adrienne was going to get burned, but I thought it was going to be a minor thing, or if it was major, it would all take place off screen. But no, Days actually set someone on fire! It's so different than having stuntmen who just fight or having someone smack herself in the head with a plate.
Edited by six, Oct 28 2013, 09:14 AM.

juniperberry

I made a separate post about Jensen Ackles/Eric Brady but I guess he belongs in the classic Days discussion lol.

I was hoping to enlist any fans from the old days to help Jensen win a People's Choice Award for Sci-Fi and to write him in as Dramatic TV actor, if you're a fans please spare a few minutes, can vote as many times as you like until Nov 1st, thanks.

DRAMATIC TV ACTOR

SCI-FI STAR
Edited by juniperberry, Oct 28 2013, 11:36 AM.

esp13
Member Avatar

six
Oct 28 2013, 09:13 AM

I watched a ridiculous amount of Steve/Kayla scenes yesterday and this one really shocked me. I knew from the description that Adrienne was going to get burned, but I thought it was going to be a minor thing, or if it was major, it would all take place off screen. But no, Days actually set someone on fire! It's so different than having stuntmen who just fight or having someone smack herself in the head with a plate.
Yeah, it was actually done pretty well - except for the fact that Adrienne's shirt must have been made from lighter fluid and Kayla's stove must have massive flames shooting out to cause that much fire that fast. ;)

But, I love how they use that scene to spark Steve's flashback to the fire when he was a child.

Kriss4

six

Where are you in your clip watching, six?

Still on the guilty plea?

The scene you put up is from before Steve knows who Adrienne is.

granolagirl
Member Avatar
Not here for St. Jack of the Immaculate Redemption

Stunt!kimono!

Jane, I desperately want to see the whole Marie and Alex plane crash story. Actually, more like all of 1981-3 when I start thinking about these stories! I would love it if Josh and Jessica could return (to some other fantasy version of the show...).

six
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Oct 28 2013, 08:33 PM
six

Where are you in your clip watching, six?

Still on the guilty plea?

The scene you put up is from before Steve knows who Adrienne is.
Technically yes, because I backtracked and started watching from the point that Adrienne first comes to town. So, I last saw the part where Steve and Kayla have their lobster date and Duke breaks into Adrienne's apartment.

And Soapgal1 has gotten me into simultaneously watching the story where Harper poisons Kayla. In that one, I'm at the part where Jack wants to take Kayla on a honeymoon.
Edited by six, Oct 31 2013, 06:51 PM.

Kriss4

Oh. You've got some good stuff coming!

Larry and Lucy Lobster, eh? Kayla's refusal to eat lobster is fun, given that her Pop's a fisherman. It makes me chuckle when Steve asks her if she eats hamburger and she insists that's different...

Kriss4

Six, you might think about backtracking just a bit one more time. December 1986. Something important happens there that'll be significant later.

Kriss4

Maybe here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q0Oflced_c&list=PLC75E6564024B972C

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply