Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Classic Days of Our Lives Discussion
Topic Started: Dec 16 2009, 07:59 PM (64,982 Views)
somuchwhatever
Member Avatar
Brotherly Love

six
Oct 31 2013, 06:49 PM
Kriss4
Oct 28 2013, 08:33 PM
six
Oct 28 2013, 09:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUEu0wqgYOA

I watched a ridiculous amount of Steve/Kayla scenes yesterday and this one really shocked me. I knew from the description that Adrienne was going to get burned, but I thought it was going to be a minor thing, or if it was major, it would all take place off screen. But no, Days actually set someone on fire! It's so different than having stuntmen who just fight or having someone smack herself in the head with a plate.
Where are you in your clip watching, six?

Still on the guilty plea?

The scene you put up is from before Steve knows who Adrienne is.
Technically yes, because I backtracked and started watching from the point that Adrienne first comes to town. So, I last saw the part where Steve and Kayla have their lobster date and Duke breaks into Adrienne's apartment.

And Soapgal1 has gotten me into simultaneously watching the story where Harper poisons Kayla. In that one, I'm at the part where Jack wants to take Kayla on a honeymoon.
Hee! My favorite part of that storyline, for reasons that will become obvious.

Part of me wants to go watch Mike & April now since we're all discussing this time range, but I remember my heart breaking at the end of that and I'm not sure if my inner middle schooler will hate me for it. But it would be a good way to get both peripheral S&K and, later, J&J.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

six
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Oct 31 2013, 09:54 PM
I'm about to watch a few clips now, starting with this one, if anyone wants to join me.

six
Member Avatar

Kriss4, I see that you're in the thread. Is the clip you linked to part of the Lady and the Tramp playlist you told me about? ETA, NM, Kriss, I just saw that you said it is. :)

Also - Kayla corrected Mike when she called Steve "Patch" was Steve uncomfortable with the nickname, or did she just not like it. I'm guessing Steve doesn't like it, since he still thinks of himself without the patch, but I figured one of you would know.
Edited by six, Nov 2 2013, 10:07 AM.

esp13
Member Avatar

At this point, it's really Kayla's issue. She hated it when people called him Patch. He at least pretended like he didn't care that much, although I think he did. If you go farther back to the Britta storyline, there is a fight where he asks her why she doesn't call him Patch like everybody else. She is angry and a little afraid of him (she thinks he might have killed Britta) but she still says it's because it's just not right. It was one of the little things that showed that Kayla was different in how she saw him than anyone else. And there are little moments where someone will call him Patch where we see it bugs Steve, but he never tried to correct anyone.
Edited by esp13, Nov 2 2013, 10:16 AM.

six
Member Avatar

Since it's 1986 and Carrie is waiting on Roman and Marlena to come pick her up, I'm guessing the "Terrible News" is that Marlena has been killed in the plane crash. I wonder if nobody is being specific about what happened because the audience already knows it, or because the writers are keeping everyone in suspense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErOZ8dFpZlY&list=PLC75E6564024B972C
Edited by six, Nov 2 2013, 10:44 AM.

esp13
Member Avatar

Actually, this is when Marlena was killed in the house explosion, I think. Lysie can correct me, but I think the plane crash is a month or two later.

six
Member Avatar

I wasn't aware that there was a house explosion. Wow, she just couldn't stay alive back then, could she?

For those interested, I stopped after watching the clip where Kayla leaves the fish market and finds out Steve waited for her.
Edited by six, Nov 2 2013, 11:30 AM.

esp13
Member Avatar

No,she died two or three times in that stretch. And the clip after you stopped is a really good one so don't be gone for too long. :)

Kriss4

I was in the thread...wanted to hop in, too...but thought maybe I shouldn't embark on clip watching before my shower, LOL! You can get involved and look up to find that an hour's passed, and you just want one more clip, and then one more...

I didn't "meet" Marlena til she returned in 1991, and I started watching Days in May, 1987, so I saw these scenes on videotape in the late 90s for the first time thanks to a fellow Steve and Kayla fan who'd kept their story and copied it for us whenever anyone was interested. I loved the "beer with an egg in it" scene and the pool game, as well as the loft scene afterward, but felt that the Marlena stuff, while great in some ways (family interaction is always good and a family tragedy is always terrific on a soap...drama, you know?) interrupted Steve and Kayla. If I'd known Marlena at that time, I'm sure it would have touched me more.
Edited by Kriss4, Nov 2 2013, 12:05 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

esp13
Nov 2 2013, 11:02 AM
Actually, this is when Marlena was killed in the house explosion, I think. Lysie can correct me, but I think the plane crash is a month or two later.
Yeah. The plane crash was later. It was all very weird, mostly due to a breakdown in contract negotiations. She disappeared multiple times in order to keep her on Days and work around her other show's filming schedule. Where six is watching is where it stopped working.

But yes. The house explosion was first. Supposedly Orpheus got her out in time and took her to the island to raise his kids. Then there was the plane crash where supposedly Stefano got a hold of her and had her carry Roman/Kate's kids, lol.
Edited by lysie, Nov 2 2013, 12:15 PM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I always refer to that as the Our House Conundrum Period

six
Member Avatar

Oh, I always thought Marlena went to raise Orpheus' kids after the crash and that the viewers always knew she was alive.

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Nov 2 2013, 03:27 PM
Oh, I always thought Marlena went to raise Orpheus' kids after the crash and that the viewers always knew she was alive.
Nope. The plane crash was when Orpheus realized RoJohn had found them. She was put on the plane to be taken off the island. I obviously wasn't watching live back then, but it's always seemed to me like one of the worst endings, lol. It's so rushed and there's not a payoff. Except that after she died, they threw in a dream scene for the two of them. But like, basically he didn't get to her in time and that was the end of that.

six
Member Avatar

I'm glad I brought this up, because I was watching that scene wondering why in the world Roman was still covered in soot - like he couldn't have showered at some point before going back to Salem. :$

IDK, Kriss, there was part of me that thought Marlena's tragic death called for some comforting ejami-style. I still can't believe how much I like this story. The Steve and Kayla who returned in 2005 or 2006 were not my favorite people.

Kriss4

Well, the writers in 2006 didn't really let viewers who didn't know Steve and Kayla already get to know them as individual characters. They were denied the chance to get to know each other again, fall in love as the characters they'd become during their 16 year forced separation. I love them, and liked their story more after Crazy Steve, but I can see why newer viewers would have a little trouble getting acquainted.

But, you know, Kayla is still Kayla. She's basically a good person, with a good heart, a core of compassion, and basic good sense. I love her, and I hope one day I get to see her happy, with Steve, or without him, if Stephen doesn't want to come back.

So, did you stop watching? And if so, where'd you end up?
Edited by Kriss4, Nov 2 2013, 04:11 PM.

six
Member Avatar

Yeah, I've realized for me, the problem wasn't the characters, it was the stories.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Orpheus was a great villain. Very underrated, since he's usually forgotten when people talk about the villains that's been on the show over the years.

Was his last name ever revealed?

Kriss4

Yeah, Orpheus was excellent. I don't know if I ever knew his last name, though.

pagraves
Member Avatar

I loved Orpheus. He was all hotness and menace, and he had layers to him. He wasn't just a mustache-twirler.

That whole three-knives story was compelling, if occasionally absurd, and created a great umbrella story that sucked in a lot of different couples at different points in their romantic relationships...RoJohn & Marlena, recently reunited and remarried; Kim and Shane, recently broken-up and emotionally shattered; Bo & Hope, caught up in a maelstrom of conflict that was threatening their young marriage, and Steve and Kayla, who were only just dancing around the idea of a romantic attachment at the time the threat became clear. And they all had clear reasons to be part of the story; they weren't just thrown into the thing for the heck of it.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

six
Nov 2 2013, 03:54 PM
I'm glad I brought this up, because I was watching that scene wondering why in the world Roman was still covered in soot - like he couldn't have showered at some point before going back to Salem. :$

IDK, Kriss, there was part of me that thought Marlena's tragic death called for some comforting ejami-style. I still can't believe how much I like this story. The Steve and Kayla who returned in 2005 or 2006 were not my favorite people.
Aww, six. You just make my heart burst with joy when you say things like this. :)

I know there are exceptions, but I do understand why viewers who knew nothing about Steve and Kayla would have difficulty connecting with them when they returned. Their return was messed up by the change in writing teams and by Scheffer's need to either drag out stories or end then with no payoff or, you know, logic. Such a wasted opportunity.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply