Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Classic Days of Our Lives Discussion
Topic Started: Dec 16 2009, 07:59 PM (65,040 Views)
granolagirl
Member Avatar
Not here for St. Jack of the Immaculate Redemption

Sindacco
Nov 2 2013, 04:44 PM
Orpheus was a great villain. Very underrated, since he's usually forgotten when people talk about the villains that's been on the show over the years.

Was his last name ever revealed?
I thought it was an ISA code name... and very appropriate since in a way he never stopped looking for his dead wife. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orpheus#Death_of_Eurydice
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Titus Andronicus
Member Avatar

Back to Marlena during that period, Days had a storyline at the end of 1988 where it was teased she was alive. It was revealed to the viewers first that it was a Stefano mindgame, but the payoff was Roman accepting her death and realizing he could fully move on with Diana. I think it was not long after that that Roman was willing to declare Marlena legally dead so he could propose...

... Until Genie Francis's contract was up.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Titus Andronicus
Nov 2 2013, 08:14 PM
Back to Marlena during that period, Days had a storyline at the end of 1988 where it was teased she was alive. It was revealed to the viewers first that it was a Stefano mindgame, but the payoff was Roman accepting her death and realizing he could fully move on with Diana. I think it was not long after that that Roman was willing to declare Marlena legally dead so he could propose...

... Until Genie Francis's contract was up.
You know, if you watch her return in 91 there was an opportunity to tie that in. John has to choose between Marlena and Diana's doors or something. He chooses Diana believing that Marlena being alive is a mind game. But then when Marlena returns she talks about hearing his voice. We later find out it was the real Roman, but what a missed opportunity. What if it had been him and he chose wrong and could have saved her much sooner?

Kriss4

Ha ha!

Wack. I must "keep" that one! Saw it somewhere in discussion. Fun!

Kriss4

granolagirl...GH. Watched to mid-week.

Back on topic: Wack.

Yes, it made an impression.

six
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Nov 2 2013, 04:09 PM
Well, the writers in 2006 didn't really let viewers who didn't know Steve and Kayla already get to know them as individual characters. They were denied the chance to get to know each other again, fall in love as the characters they'd become during their 16 year forced separation. I love them, and liked their story more after Crazy Steve, but I can see why newer viewers would have a little trouble getting acquainted.

But, you know, Kayla is still Kayla. She's basically a good person, with a good heart, a core of compassion, and basic good sense. I love her, and I hope one day I get to see her happy, with Steve, or without him, if Stephen doesn't want to come back.

So, did you stop watching? And if so, where'd you end up?
The last part I saw was Marlena's memorial service.

Kriss4

Are you gonna watch some today or have you got other things...life, football..errands, whatever...going on?

six
Member Avatar

I'm planning to watch a few more later tonight. :)

esp13
Member Avatar

six
Nov 3 2013, 02:53 PM
I'm planning to watch a few more later tonight. :)
Good. There is a really good one right after the memorial service. Plus, I want to know what you thought of the morning after Marlena "died."

six
Member Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTVJwid0wVk&list=PLC75E6564024B972C&index=1

Playlist Link: CLICK HERE

This is the playlist we're discussing if anyone wants to join in. Clip 165 and beyond.

I last watched the Christmas Eve episode, where Steve goes to the Cheatin' Heart after playing Santa to the children who were outside, in the middle of a December night, unsupervised, hanging out on what were possibly the Stairs of Death (is that supposed to be the same pier Tony died on?)

Anyway, Kayla had a couple of really good speeches. I enjoyed the scene where she told Caroline off and made it clear that she wanted Steve whether anyone else liked it or not. From what I've seen so far, the writers are doing a good job with creating setbacks that make sense. And I liked the way they had Steve and Kayla argue about Steve taking Max to the bar right after that scene, because it illustrate the point Steve had been making about their differing outlooks.

I also liked the push and pull of the entire scene in the park and the scene in the apartment where Kayla asks Steve to stay, but he won't spend the night with her, because he knows he'd never be able to leave.

Other random things -
I also looked at their first scene with Steve ransacking Kayla's apartment. That was Emma who hired him to do it, right? Why?

Did Kayla get her apartment from Bo?

These might be long shots, but does anyone know why Alex was endowing a chair in Marlena's memory (causing Emma to say the line below), or why Jennifer suddenly left the memorial after Abe's speech about Marlena being a risk taker?

I had to laugh at Kayla just telling Steve she was the best thing that ever happened to him. She was pretty sure of herself.

LOL at Steve's sad Charlie Brown tree and at Emma's line "If Marlena wasn't in so many pieces right now, she'd be rolling over in her grave."

ETA - IDK why the playlist isn't showing up.

Edited by Miss Rhi, Nov 4 2013, 11:37 AM.

Kriss4

Did you get to the Christmas present yet?

Kriss4

Oh how 'bout the pool cue gift?

esp13
Member Avatar

Wow, that's a lot to respond to, but here goes.

I love the scenes the day/morning after Marlena death because they touch on so many themes. First, the fact the Kayla never really cares what anybody thinks about Steve, but her. She doesn't really defend him too much to others but also doesn't care what they think. It's like she knows they have reason to feel how they feel, but it doesn't affect what she thinks. Second, the conflict over Max is good for highlighting the differences between how Steve sees things and how Kayla sees things. Namely that Steve sees their differences as a big gulf and Kayla sees them as things that can always be dealt with. Third, it shows that while Steve can't quite stay away, every thing disagreement threatens to send him running for the hills. Because he doesn't really believe they can work and it's only Kayla's persistence and his inner desire to believe that keeps him there now. But it's always a fragile thing and it means Kayla has to believe enough for both of most of the time.

The scene with the pool cue is a great one. And I live that the big tough guy is the one putting on the brakes. He's the inner romantic who can't pretend this a casual thing and I love the contrast with the good girl who wants to have sex and isn't begging for a commitment. Not that it would be casual, but it's also very straightforward lust.

On to random things.

Emma hired Steve to scare Kayla out if Cleveland because she worked for the doctor that Emma was going to sell baby Andrew too. So she needed Kayla out of the way to carry out her kidnapping plan. But Steve didn't know that. He just knew that Kayla was Bo's sister and he was mad at Bo so he figured this was a way to get back at him a little.

Kayla did inherit the loft from Bo who had moved into Victor's house. After Steve and Kayla it went to Jennifer, then Isabella, then John.

Don't know the one about Alex and Emma.

I always thought Kayla's line was a little OOC, but I loved it. I mean she was really frustrated and she was also pretty much right. :)

Phew, that's a lot to do on my phone. Please forgive the typos.

six
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Nov 3 2013, 09:19 PM

The one for Max? If that's what you mean, I saw him drop it off, but no one opened it yet.
Kriss4
Nov 3 2013, 09:21 PM

Yep, I saw the pool cue. :)

esp, I'm impressed you wrote all that on your phone. Oh, so Steve is (unknowingly) mixed up in Andrew's kidnapping? I love that. I saw the scenes where he's so excited that Kim got the baby back. He's going to find out he played a role in what happened, right?
Edited by six, Nov 3 2013, 09:37 PM.

esp13
Member Avatar

six
Nov 3 2013, 09:33 PM
Kriss4

The one for Max? If that's what you mean, I saw him drop it off, but no one opened it yet.
Kriss4

esp, I'm impressed you wrote all that on your phone. Oh, so Steve is (unknowingly) mixed up in Andrew's kidnapping? I love that. I saw the scenes where he's so excited that Kim got the baby back. He's going to find out he played a role in what happened, right?
That's why you need to go back to the beginning. Steve does figure it out and does try to help in a very Steve way. Of course it doesn't quite work, although it's not entirely his fault. And the best part is that he doesn't just do the right thing. He's not redeemed overnight. But he is trying to help which gives a glimpse at a different side of him.

six
Member Avatar

esp13
Nov 3 2013, 09:42 PM
six
Nov 3 2013, 09:33 PM
Kriss4

Kriss4

That's why you need to go back to the beginning. Steve does figure it out and does try to help in a very Steve way. Of course it doesn't quite work, although it's not entirely his fault. And the best part is that he doesn't just do the right thing. He's not redeemed overnight. But he is trying to help which gives a glimpse at a different side of him.
Okay, I didn't realize he'd find out so soon. Yeah, I'm all over the place with these clips, because I didn't go into this planning to watch Steve and Kayla's story, but here we are, lol.

Kriss4, what did you think about the pool cue scene?
Edited by six, Nov 3 2013, 09:49 PM.

Kriss4

No telling!

Kriss4

I love that scene. Steve doesn't like surprises, but really, he's never gotten anything
for no reason. I mean, he was raised in an orphanage, and before Jo gave him up, toys were rare. He does have the toy train he must've gotten from Jo before he had to leave, but he doesn't have memories of special Christmases or presents "just because." Kayla just gave him something because she wanted him to have it...knew he'd like it. No ulterior motive. No expectation of anything in return.

For Steve, it's completely unexpected.
Edited by Kriss4, Nov 3 2013, 10:07 PM.

MissFancyFace
Member Avatar
Someone's been a good girl this year. ;-)

Are we allowed to post gifs and vids from DAYS' 80's in this thread?

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

MissFancyFace
Nov 4 2013, 08:21 AM
Are we allowed to post gifs and vids from DAYS' 80's in this thread?
At least videos :)

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply