Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2012 London Olympics
Topic Started: Jul 25 2012, 03:00 AM (3,645 Views)
Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I thought it was representative of GB. It was nice narrative story. Soaps in England are super popular, so referencing them was probably a no brainer. The Mr. Bean skit was funny. I always like the part of the show where they light the caldron. I liked the whole petal effect. It was cool. I liked Mac at the end playing Hey Jude.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I'm watching it on my DVR now and just got to the caldron but now. Great design. And most importantly .... it worked :lol:

Ally
Member Avatar
The Royal Princess

Drew
Jul 28 2012, 07:20 AM
darraholic
Jul 27 2012, 10:23 PM
To me nothing beats the Gold Medal Hockey Game. Olympics don't get any better than that.
This!

And especially when Team USA is tasting Silver :D
And how we won on home ice.. As well as American Ice.

Just thought I throw that out there ;)

darraholic
Member Avatar
Ikagoddess <3

Ally
Jul 28 2012, 02:08 PM
Drew
Jul 28 2012, 07:20 AM
darraholic
Jul 27 2012, 10:23 PM
To me nothing beats the Gold Medal Hockey Game. Olympics don't get any better than that.
This!

And especially when Team USA is tasting Silver :D
And how we won on home ice.. As well as American Ice.

Just thought I throw that out there ;)
x2. Can't forget about the ladies either.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I forgot how boring I find the summer games. There's not a single thing airing right now I care enough about to watch.

Give me the winter games any day.

Natalia
Member Avatar

I love the Olympics!Both the summer and winter ones.I have to admit that during the Olympics I watch sports I normally wouldn't watch.Loved the opening except Paul McCartney's performance since he was singing off key.I don't have any favourites I live in The Netherlands and I have the Dutch nationality but only since 2006 and I don't even know who's competing and in what sports.So far I saw swimming,cycling and some gymnastics and I loved all of them.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

It was well done from the bits and pieces I saw, but a political narrative definitely underscored the whole thing with class warfare commentary and the NHS. These type of events should be politically neutral in my opinion.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I don't agree.

The NHS is a major achievement of the brits, and just because they have one shouldn't threaten others (unless they known deep down it's the right thing to do :P )

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Drew
Jul 29 2012, 07:13 AM
I don't agree.

The NHS is a major achievement of the brits, and just because they have one shouldn't threaten others (unless they known deep down it's the right thing to do :P )
I don't dispute that but the NHS has little to nothing to do with the Olympics. And by including it, it allows British politicians to grandstand off it (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19025518) and thereby turning a non-political event into a political one.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

But the point of the opening ceremony is to celebrate the country hosting the games and the industrial revolution, the NHS, and the rest are all huge to that country and their influence on the world. Western civilization in particular.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

Is that the point of the opening? I honestly don't know. I always thought it was to celebrate all the nations of the world coming together for a sporting event with a cultural overlay of the host country.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

The OC is filtered through the lens of Danny Boyle and he decide to include what he considers a great accomplishment in the history of Britain. Its obvious Brits are proud of their health care system. I have several friends that always ask me how we can't have the same....I just SMH and tell them, "believe me, I know."

Oh, shame on the USA for cutting out the segment on British fallen heros.

As for the games, I really hate the coverage. NBC promises hundreds of hours and online blah, blah, blah but I dont get why you can't see any event online, only certain selected one. I also wish NBC didnt wait so long to broadcast the Phelps v Lochte race. I was trying to not find results, but you click on certain sites and they show the winners in bold on their front page. At least the morning stuff is live.
Edited by Liz<3Days, Jul 29 2012, 09:47 AM.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Liz<3Days
Jul 29 2012, 09:45 AM
The OC is filtered through the lens of Danny Boyle and he decide to include what he considers a great accomplishment in the history of Britain. Its obvious Brits are proud of their health care system. I have several friends that always ask me how we can't have the same....I just SMH and tell them, "believe me, I know."

Oh, shame on the USA for cutting out the segment on British fallen heros.

As for the games, I really hate the coverage. NBC promises hundreds of hours and online blah, blah, blah but I dont get why you can't see any event online, only certain selected one. I also wish NBC didnt wait so long to broadcast the Phelps v Lochte race. I was trying to not find results, but you click on certain sites and they show the winners in bold on their front page. At least the morning stuff is live.
As a fan of Danny Boyle I was not disapointed. Love love love his work.

NBC cut out the Memory wall? Oh wow. And I thought CTV did a shitty job with that as well - if its a moment of silence for the fallen then shut the fuck up commentators! The in stadium announcer said what it was, the video played and our commentators blathered on throught the whole thing repeating what the stadium announcer had just said 2 seconds before.

I'd really love to just get a version of it with no one speaking. The BBC was also too talkative at times, but atleast they were commercial free.

darraholic
Member Avatar
Ikagoddess <3

One of my favorite events Diving begins. It's nice to know that I can actually do something just as good as the Olympians can ;)

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

WOW...crazy soccer game between Spain and Honduras!

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

Now I know how people on the west coast feel when live events are broadcast on east coast time. Saw results I didn't want to just going on Yahoo! Really hate that NBC can't put events live. Especially medal events or things they know are popular. Finally downloaded the Olympics app and set a reminder on some live events hoping to see them that way.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

cubsgirl
Jul 29 2012, 04:35 PM
Now I know how people on the west coast feel when live events are broadcast on east coast time. Saw results I didn't want to just going on Yahoo! Really hate that NBC can't put events live. Especially medal events or things they know are popular. Finally downloaded the Olympics app and set a reminder on some live events hoping to see them that way.
I set reminds too and they early morning events are the only ones where you'll wont be spoiled in other places posting the results, but some events are on mute. I watched Men's Volleyball online and there were no commentators (which could be good.)

Yep West Coast peeps know the drill.

WTGH
Member Avatar
Bitch!

I love the Morgan Freeman VISA Olympic commercials!

Alin89
Member Avatar

im getting very adicted to this yrs olympics for some odd reason.

ScorpioQueen
Member Avatar

NBC coverage absolutely sucks. They show the good stuff after it's happened and everyone know who won. They should just do everything live and can the commentary. Thank goodness I downloaded the app on my iPad so I can stream some of te swimming events live and not be spoiled.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply