Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2012 London Olympics
Topic Started: Jul 25 2012, 03:00 AM (3,709 Views)
Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

i find the summer olympics to be mind numbingly boring...bring on the winter olympics baby...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Olympic ceremonies usually have popular musical acts from that country so no shock who showed up,I would have liked an Elton John appearance,but ok,I thought this was much better than the opening,the opening was HOURS of watching people walking in with their flags of their countries and fireworks,the fireworks were cool,Paul Mcartny was great,but the rest was dull.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Liz<3Days
Aug 12 2012, 09:38 PM
I did like the Spice Girl reunion.
Damn, so they did reunite. I will totally have to watch that later.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Bright Eyes
Aug 12 2012, 10:51 PM
Liz<3Days
Aug 12 2012, 09:38 PM
I did like the Spice Girl reunion.
Damn, so they did reunite. I will totally have to watch that later.
Someone probably already has it up on YT.

Kevin_Buchanan
Member Avatar

Disappointed the Who wasn't a part of the Closing Ceremony even thought they advertised it. Hmm, wonder what happened. Enjoyed the Spice Girls, Queen, and a lot of the other acts, George Michael! David Bowie, Duran Duran, Adele, Sting, & especially Elton John should have been a part of this! Jessie J held her own with Queen, but I'd rather had a guy singing with them, maybe George Michael, or Adam Lambert, although not British, probably why he wasn't with them.

:mellow: NEVER MIND,...... The Who is now on, after the local news. WEIRD! :shrug:
Edited by Kevin_Buchanan, Aug 12 2012, 11:01 PM.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

They had The Who after the local news? WOW....its THE WHO???

I thought the Brazil part was too long. And really...they bring out that model and she doesnt even dance?

I dont get why they kept repeating the same songs during the athletes coming into the stadium. And as a huge 80s Brit fan....Madness and Pet Shop Boys....really...they werent as huge as Culture Club, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode. Maybe those acts were more US popular then UK popular?

Nate
Member Avatar

The Brazil part SUCKED.

I already miss the Olympics....... :(

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

I liked the Rio bit so much more than whatever Russia was pulling at the Winter closing.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Liz<3Days
Aug 12 2012, 11:07 PM
They had The Who after the local news? WOW....its THE WHO???

I thought the Brazil part was too long. And really...they bring out that model and she doesnt even dance?

I dont get why they kept repeating the same songs during the athletes coming into the stadium. And as a huge 80s Brit fan....Madness and Pet Shop Boys....really...they werent as huge as Culture Club, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode. Maybe those acts were more US popular then UK popular?
I think it had more to do with the international broadcast rights for the music. They repeated acts who already performed during the ceremony, so it was easy.

They did feature some of their greats, but also alot of big current acts. Ed Sheeran is huge right now. Jessie J, Emilie Sande, Tao Cruz are also big over there right now too. I loved Annie Lennox, and Brian May with Jessie J was also pretty good. Could have done without One Direction and Take That though.

Did anyone else know Russell Brand could sing? (It still seems weird how he's blown up from his days as a Big Brother UK spinoff host)
Edited by Drew, Aug 12 2012, 11:33 PM.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Take That was huge in the 90s. (Was that Robbie Williams singing...I thought he was in that band?)

Did Russell Brand star in a movie where he sang? Was he in Rock of Ages w/Tom Cruise? I personally dont see the popularity of him. He always looks like he needs a shower.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

Liz<3Days
Aug 12 2012, 11:49 PM
Take That was huge in the 90s. (Was that Robbie Williams singing...I thought he was in that band?)

Did Russell Brand star in a movie where he sang? Was he in Rock of Ages w/Tom Cruise? I personally dont see the popularity of him. He always looks like he needs a shower.
Robbie Williams was in Take That but didn't perform with them. I know he left the group but thought they got back together but maybe it was just for a small European tour. Take That is huge in England. Boy bands are big there and never really went away like they come and go here in the states.

Don't get the appeal of Russell Brand either. He was in Rock of Ages and worked in that movie. Other than that I don't get it.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

The Take That appearance was a HUGE deal tonight because Gary Barlow's (a member of Take That who's also a judge on UK's X-Factor) wife gave birth to a still born baby this past week. There was some speculation that he or even they would pull out of performing (and justifiably so, IMO).
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Alin89
Member Avatar

The closing was better than the opening for the olympics.

Cupcake06

Brazil!

I would love to go to those games.

Alin89
Member Avatar

same here.

Alin89
Member Avatar

here comes world cup and winter olympics!!!

Cupcake06

Not even 10 mins into this Animal Practice show and it's making me miss the Olympics badly already.

Obnoxious.

Crazygirl
Member Avatar

Posh is still my favorite spice girl.

OliveAnn

I really liked the closing ceremony. I LOVED Annie Lennox. If Kate Bush had been there in person, my life would have been complete. Bryan May is still a divinity. The Who were awesome and Kaiser Chiefs did a good job with Pinball Wizard. I never particularly liked Spice Girls, but they put some of today's girl bands to shame. I agree that some really important acts were missing, though. I can understand why Adele wasn't there, pregnancy and all, but where were Sting, Elton John and Duran Duran? And just how did One Direction, Tayo Cruz and Tinie Timpah deserve to be there, but not Florence + The Machine? And can we please discuss Jessie J singing "it's not about money" while driving around in a ROLLS ROYCE?

Alin89
Member Avatar

we didnt see Muse either or the medal cermony of the men's marathon. I hate nbc's coverage. We still have them till 2020 ugh.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply