Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Y&R: Scott Hamner Steps Down
Topic Started: Jul 25 2012, 12:33 PM (1,546 Views)
Daytime
Member Avatar

Temporarily.... that is.. According to Soap Opera Digest..

EXCLUSIVE! Y&R Scribe Stepping Down

By SOD • Posted: Jul 25, 2012

Digest has learned that Scott Hamner, Y&R's co-head writer, is taking a temporary leave of absence. "I had decided to let my contract expire but Maria [Arena Bell, executive producer/head writer] asked if we could call it a sabbatical instead," explains Hamner. "She really didn't want me to leave, so I agreed to take a few months off. She has been so gracious and generous about my need to take a break and I appreciate that." In what could be viewed as a lateral move to help Bell focus on writing duties during Hamner's absence, Daytime Confidential is reporting that Jill Faren Phelps, who is the current executive producer for HOLLYWOOD HEIGHTS and served in the same capacity for GENERAL HOSPITAL, GUIDING LIGHT and ANOTHER WORLD, is in talks to take over the EP reins at Y&R. So far, there is no comment from the show.

SOD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LPS
Member Avatar

Holy sheesh....my guess on Josh Griffith was right!

MAB's gonna be pissed if she has to work with him. She had JG fired! LOVE it. Maybe the rumors of Sony trying to oust MAB were true.

JG's reign of Y&R was 10 times better. YAY! He's a little flakey but good.

It was time for SH to step down. He worked with LML and it was a disaster then, too. Time for Sheffer.

Mason
Member Avatar

Shame it's only temporary. Everyone who's had a major hand in the last few years of this show just needs to go.

Daytime
Member Avatar

Update by Jamey at Daytime Confidential

"I tweeted earlier that I was hearing Scott Hamner, one of Maria Arena Bell's two co-head writers, had quit The Young and the Restless.
"Scott [Hamner] quit, so maybe Josh [Griffith] is meant to replace him?" said an insider. "I hear he got tired of doing it."
<

Soap Opera Digest has published an article on their website confirming Hamner stepping down from the CBS serial. Said Hamner:

"I had decided to let my contract expire but Maria [Arena Bell, executive producer/head writer] asked if we could call it a sabbatical instead," explains Hamner. "She really didn't want me to leave, so I agreed to take a few months off. She has been so gracious and generous about my need to take a break and I appreciate that."

According to my sources, these moves are a decided effort on the part of Sony TV to seize creative and financial control of The Young and the Restless. Keep checking back with Daytime Confidential as this story develops!"

DC

3WishGenie
Member Avatar

Ooooh, this might be good news!

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Did he even really do anything? No big loss there.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Can we just get Jack Smith back? Teamed with Kay Alden again.

LPS
Member Avatar

^Alden is on B&B and she would be stupid to get off that pot. B&B has the Dream Team, IMO. Melody's husband, Alden, and most of Y&R's writers pre-LML.

Hammer did a lot. He was the one who did all the interviews describing the storylines.

Shick
Member Avatar
My reaction to current Y&R ...

Daytime
Jul 25 2012, 12:49 PM
"I hear he got tired of doing it."
He got tired of writing for this soap, and it showed in his work. The writing has been a freaking mess, especially over the last two years.

darraholic
Member Avatar

At least SONY is finally doing something to stop the bleeding. Sadly, MAB and her goons have killed this show beyond belief.

Checkers
Member Avatar

He better stay gone.

queenmoe06
Member Avatar

DrewHamilton
Jul 25 2012, 12:57 PM
Can we just get Jack Smith back? Teamed with Kay Alden again.
:cheer: BOTH of them were like the DREAM TEAM!! I'm SOOOO NOT going to miss SH! GOOD REDDENS TO BAD RUBBISH!!!! :flipoff:

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

LPS
Jul 25 2012, 12:59 PM
Hammer did a lot. He was the one who did all the interviews describing the storylines.
So he was nothing more than the show's spokesperson, who got a credit as "Co-Head Writer." What did he contribute to the stories is what I want to know. In fact, I want to know what Sheffer contributes as well because I was a huge supporter of him on DAYS, and I liked clips from his time at ATWT. Nothing I see on Y&R reminds me of his work.

LPS
Member Avatar

^I took it SH wrote all the boring storylines. I'm pretty sure he wrote the gaslight storyline and Phyllis shredding Sharon's panties.

Sheffer wrote crazy Jana, easy Sharon with the three-way daddy race, Ethan back from the dead, and the silver chipmunk storyline. I believe he also did a lot of the Patty cakes stuff.
Edited by LPS, Jul 25 2012, 01:55 PM.

lightandday
Member Avatar
HBD-Nesta Robert Marley,February 6, 1945 BitchesBrew

This is a start but not good enough the disastrous Paul Rauch left his stamp w/MAB who said Y&R "benefited tremendously" from so as long as her and that sick pill Hogan Sheffer are around then it's still a problem.

Renegade_Killerbee
Member Avatar

My overall gripe with Young and the Restless is the writing.

And I don't mean the overall storyline directions and such but the general day-to-day dialogue. I have been watching soaps for about 35 of my 41-years and I never stop and say to myself did ______ just say that? as I do with Young and the Restless on an almost daily basis.

I remember a few years ago (this could go back to 2005 or 2006 so it would be going back to Lynn Marie Latham's reign of terror), Daniel saying to either Kevin or somebody, Are you asking my woman to do your dirty work for you? That dialogue stays with me to today.

And speaking of today, I heard either Devon or NuKyle say something that was just jarring. I just turned it off 30 minutes into the show and went out and laid in the sun to read my Kindle.

It's like the writers are trying to "keep it real" and use language today's youth use but in doing so, they make an epic fail.

Sammie Jo
Member Avatar

Mason
Jul 25 2012, 12:47 PM
Shame it's only temporary. Everyone who's had a major hand in the last few years of this show just needs to go.
I bet it's not temporary at all, I don't believe he'll be back, just like I don't believe Jill will be back.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

soapflake02

That's ok because until it stops being the Phyllis constantly getting her way show and nick being a freaking fool I'm not watching. And the Sharon character could use some work also.

ChampagneRiver
Member Avatar

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Bye and don't come back. :wave:

One down, two to go.

Peridott
Member Avatar

Great news and I don't think he's coming back. Hogan Sheffer needs to go too. The dark, depraved tone of this show is cause of him.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply