Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ratings for July 16-20, 2012
Topic Started: Jul 27 2012, 06:14 PM (2,777 Views)
ChampagneRiver
Member Avatar

(SoapOperaNetwork.com) - Ratings Report for the Week of July 16-20, 2012

Numbers are based on Live+Same Day ratings

(Compared to Last Week/Compared to Last Year)

Total Viewers
1. Y&R 4,389,000 (-13,000/-420,000)
2. B&B 3,140,000 (+75,000/+114,000)
3. GH 2,445,000 (+127,000/-177,000)
4. DAYS 2,378,000 (+148,000/+37,000)

Households
1. Y&R 3.2/10 (same/-.2)
2. B&B 2.3/7 (same/+.2)
3. GH 1.8/5 (+.1/-.1)
4. DAYS 1.7/5 (same/same)

Women 18-49 Viewers
1. Y&R 852,000 (+5,000/-149,000)
2. B&B 630,000 (+4,000/-36,000)
3. GH 547,000 (-10,000/-186,000)
4. DAYS 453,000 (+30,000/-173,000)

Women 18-49 Rating
1. Y&R 1.3/9 (same/-.2)
2. B&B 1.0/6 (same/same)
3. GH 0.9/5 (same/-.2)
4. DAYS 0.7/5 (same/-.2) <-------- ties low (5th straight week)

http://www.soapoperanetwork.com/news/ratings-bbghdays-up-in-total-viewers
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Checkers
Member Avatar

That's why MAB was fired.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

Ah- another banner week for Days- Not. Sure hope TomSell has a good plan in mind for Days.

michelle
Member Avatar

150,000 new viewers last week sounds like a good start to me!

Hopefully, this week will be even better even without much promotion.

lysie
Member Avatar

This year's ratings have been so weird. They've gone up as much as they've gone down. Meanwhile, the target demo seems to go up and down between 30 and 50,000 viewers every week. The show has a pretty decent audience. They just can't keep them all the time.

michelle
Member Avatar

lysie
Jul 27 2012, 08:19 PM
This year's ratings have been so weird. They've gone up as much as they've gone down. Meanwhile, the target demo seems to go up and down between 30 and 50,000 viewers every week. The show has a pretty decent audience. They just can't keep them all the time.
Yeah, what does it all mean anyway. It's a mystery.

lysie
Member Avatar

michelle
Jul 27 2012, 09:27 PM
lysie
Jul 27 2012, 08:19 PM
Yeah, what does it all mean anyway. It's a mystery.
It means their stories are boring, but people want to like the show so they keep trying. That's what I think, lol.

Manny
Member Avatar

Yo, Maria! What's with those numbers you mentioned in your little public breakdown?

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

The challenge for Tomsell is not only recapture the 175,000 women 18-49 who tuned out over the last year, but to also recapture the 250,000 who tuned out the year before. Thats a big ask - essentially to double up the current W18-49. They have to be firing on all cylinders when they return from the break.

reagon

Southofsoap
Jul 28 2012, 07:28 AM
The challenge for Tomsell is not only recapture the 175,000 women 18-49 who tuned out over the last year, but to also recapture the 250,000 who tuned out the year before. Thats a big ask - essentially to double up the current W18-49. They have to be firing on all cylinders when they return from the break.
I think the demos for the most part are a lost cause. And that's for any soap. All it shows is that perhaps they along with GH haven't lost a ton of viewers from a year ago but the audience is aging. Soaps have gotten away from the concept of multi generational viewing. I started watching AMC because my older sister did at the time.

You also have to look at the HH number not the viewing numbers. Days for example is still a 1.7 even though they gained so many viewers why? Because more people were watching TV at that time than the previous week and Days gained proportionately to the other shows airing at that time.

I'm more a believer that long term trends reflect show and story interest while a boost or drop from one week to the next reflects more on external factors influencing those increases or decreases.

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

reagon
Jul 28 2012, 07:39 AM
Southofsoap
I think the demos for the most part are a lost cause. And that's for any soap. All it shows is that perhaps they along with GH haven't lost a ton of viewers from a year ago but the audience is aging. Soaps have gotten away from the concept of multi generational viewing. I started watching AMC because my older sister did at the time.

You also have to look at the HH number not the viewing numbers. Days for example is still a 1.7 even though they gained so many viewers why? Because more people were watching TV at that time than the previous week and Days gained proportionately to the other shows airing at that time.

I'm more a believer that long term trends reflect show and story interest while a boost or drop from one week to the next reflects more on external factors influencing those increases or decreases.
If the demos are a lost cause, then the show is toast because thats all the advertisers and hence NBC care about. I think it can be done, but it requires a really good show that is consistent. B&B has shown it can be done. Tomsell showed it could be done in 2009, so its not totally without hope.

reagon

Southofsoap
Jul 28 2012, 07:57 AM
reagon
Southofsoap

If the demos are a lost cause, then the show is toast because thats all the advertisers and hence NBC care about. I think it can be done, but it requires a really good show that is consistent. B&B has shown it can be done. Tomsell showed it could be done in 2009, so its not totally without hope.
B&B did it with a very strong younger cast they invested in and a compelling triangle. They actually have some other younger cast members they are using more who are also decent, Kristolyn Lloyd for one. It's launched fresh story and relationships that viewers haven't seen for the last so many years. Sami and EJ and Rafe and Nicole are no longer fresh new or strong IMO. I think they have just exhausted so much story for them. It's how I feel about Sam Jason Sonnt Carly on GH and Nick, Sharon, and Phyllis on Y&R.

somersetfan
Member Avatar

I think Tomsell can bring the audience back. They did in 09/10. They just need to tell well paced and outlined stories with beginnings middles and ends. The baby switch had that. Every story they tell from now on needs to be written the same way.

I think the 18-49 demo is the most important thing to everyone involved. If the show can start getting around 1.0-1.2 again I am sure NBC/Sony would be more then happy. NBC especially considering half the shows on their primetime lineup were barely pulling that rating last year.
Edited by somersetfan, Jul 28 2012, 09:16 AM.

Cupcake06

Southofsoap
Jul 28 2012, 07:57 AM
reagon
Southofsoap

I don't think it's a lost cause. I remember BB was doing horribly not too long ago. But I agree with reagon that EJ/Rafe/Sami/Nicole suck so much ass as a foursome, I really can't say it enough. I worry that they will go right back to that crappola.

Shick
Member Avatar
My reaction to current Y&R ...

Hey MAB. Ratings for Y&R are going down, not up...

lightandday
Member Avatar
HBD-Nesta Robert Marley,February 6, 1945 BitchesBrew

Manny
Jul 28 2012, 03:54 AM
Yo, Maria! What's with those numbers you mentioned in your little public breakdown?
Manny you saw that shit too :lol: deluded hollyweird heffah.

KMan101
Member Avatar

I agree. Around mid 2009 Days shifted. I'm reading recaps from June 2009 (Philip and Stephanie in the morgue, Brady/Mel bonding over his dead mother, Kate/Daniel/Chloe/Lucas, Sami/Rafe, Nicole/EJ) and honestly, I'm much more invested in that than I am right now. I hope Tomsell return to whatever they were doing in mid 2009 to mid 2010 (after Alice's memorial month, it all went to hell again). The vets were sparse, of course, but used accordingly, IMO, and I think the right people mixed it up and shared scenes. And it was during that period that Maggie and Caroline both started becoming more prominent supporting players again (instead of cameo appearances). I even liked they had Roman (alebit probably briefly) share scenes with Stephanie over her marrying into the Kiriakis family (I loved Philip and Stephanie. Hell, Jay has had chemistry with everyone but Molly Burnett). I really hate Stephanie and Philip were dropped and we had to suffer through Melanie and Philip. Sigh. I really wonder what happened there? It seems like the plans were to pair Brady and Mel and keep going with Philip and Stephanie but then it all went to hell LOL. I never minded Brady/Mel.

outrageous
Member Avatar

KMan101
Jul 28 2012, 07:40 PM
I agree. Around mid 2009 Days shifted. I'm reading recaps from June 2009 (Philip and Stephanie in the morgue, Brady/Mel bonding over his dead mother, Kate/Daniel/Chloe/Lucas, Sami/Rafe, Nicole/EJ) and honestly, I'm much more invested in that than I am right now. I hope Tomsell return to whatever they were doing in mid 2009 to mid 2010 (after Alice's memorial month, it all went to hell again). The vets were sparse, of course, but used accordingly, IMO, and I think the right people mixed it up and shared scenes. And it was during that period that Maggie and Caroline both started becoming more prominent supporting players again (instead of cameo appearances). I even liked they had Roman (alebit probably briefly) share scenes with Stephanie over her marrying into the Kiriakis family (I loved Philip and Stephanie. Hell, Jay has had chemistry with everyone but Molly Burnett). I really hate Stephanie and Philip were dropped and we had to suffer through Melanie and Philip. Sigh. I really wonder what happened there? It seems like the plans were to pair Brady and Mel and keep going with Philip and Stephanie but then it all went to hell LOL. I never minded Brady/Mel.
On the Sami/Rafe and EJ/Nicole part, they've been on after 2010 continuously until now, and the ratings went straight in the crapper.

Interesting storylines for all the characters is where it's at.

samixxx
Member Avatar

When were days 18-49 demos good/better?

Manny
Member Avatar

lightandday
Jul 28 2012, 04:02 PM
Manny
Jul 28 2012, 03:54 AM
Manny you saw that shit too :lol: deluded hollyweird heffah.
Of course! I started to laugh when I read it. I have NO IDEA what that woman was talking about.. The numbers are right here...

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply