Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ratings for July 16-20, 2012
Topic Started: Jul 27 2012, 06:14 PM (2,787 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

samixxx
Jul 29 2012, 12:48 AM
When were days 18-49 demos good/better?

Well...at the beginning of 2008 they were double what they are now. They've been slowly draining for a while. It looks like 2006 was the last year that they really outperformed most other shows. With a few exceptions around Februaru they most were 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in demos all year.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

six
Member Avatar

I think it's really impossible to compare ratings from various years because there are so many more ways to watch the show now than there were just a couple of years ago. The people behind the scenes recognize that. IDK if a ratings system overhaul will happen soon enough to save these shows, but I hope so.

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Jul 29 2012, 09:54 AM
I think it's really impossible to compare ratings from various years because there are so many more ways to watch the show now than there were just a couple of years ago. The people behind the scenes recognize that. IDK if a ratings system overhaul will happen soon enough to save these shows, but I hope so.
The people at the show recognize it but advertisers either don't recognize it or don't care. I do think the ranking in demos is comparable though. Days went from being close to the top to constantly at the bottom.

six
Member Avatar

I'm sure the advertisers recognize it. It's going to be up to the networks to demand that the system be fixed, because they're the ones who are losing money.

I don't think rankings tell us much at all when we have four shows that aren't even competing in the same time slot for the most part. Days is in the same spot it's been in a lot over the years - fighting with GH for #3.
Edited by six, Jul 29 2012, 12:36 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Jul 29 2012, 12:34 PM
I'm sure the advertisers recognize it. It's going to be up to the networks to demand that the system be fixed, because they're the ones who are losing money.

I don't think rankings tell us much at all when we have four shows that aren't even competing in the same time slot for the most part. Days is in the same spot it's been in a lot over the years - fighting with GH for #3.
It definitely shouldn't matter but we keep hearing that it does matter to advertisers. My point about the rankings was that Days went from being closer to top to being on bottom a long time ago. There's only four shows now so it's all relative anyway, but the target demo has been in decline for a long time.

six
Member Avatar

I've never heard that advertisers cared about that. It makes sense to me that they would, but only as a whole - comparing all of Daytime, not just focusing on the soaps. The target demos have been in decline across the board for years, even in prime time IIRC. Like I said before, I don't think the ratings in these threads tell us much about whether Days is close to the top or close to the bottom. Spot 3/4 is still spot 3/4. There was a time Days was 6/7, which is probably comparable to where they are right now. We'd have to look at the expanded rankings for all of daytime to get a better picture of how far Days has slipped in comparison to the other shows. There's definitely some viewer erosion. That's definitely not in question. I just doubt it's as drastic as it can appear to be at first glance.

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Jul 29 2012, 01:22 PM
I've never heard that advertisers cared about that. It makes sense to me that they would, but only as a whole - comparing all of Daytime, not just focusing on the soaps. The target demos have been in decline across the board for years, even in prime time IIRC. Like I said before, I don't think the ratings in these threads tell us much about whether Days is close to the top or close to the bottom. Spot 3/4 is still spot 3/4. There was a time Days was 6/7, which is probably comparable to where they are right now. We'd have to look at the expanded rankings for all of daytime to get a better picture of how far Days has slipped in comparison to the other shows. There's definitely some viewer erosion. That's definitely not in question. I just doubt it's as drastic as it can appear to be at first glance.
I don't understand what we're arguing about, lol. But really...when there were 9 shows, Days was 1 or 2. Now there are four shows and Days is 4th. I don't get how that doesn't look significant. I also don't truly care. There's nothing we can do about it, and they're going to interpret them however they want.

six
Member Avatar

I think we're talking about different periods. When was the last time Days was consistently 1 or 2 - JER 1, right?

Anyway, I don't really care either. There's a reason I don't usually participate in these threads lol.

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Jul 29 2012, 02:24 PM
I think we're talking about different periods. When was the last time Days was consistently 1 or 2 - JER 1, right?

Anyway, I don't really care either. There's a reason I don't usually participate in these threads lol.
JER 2, actually. That was the point of my earlier post. In 2006 they were usually 1,2, or 3 in the demos. The show sucked, IMO, but the demos weren't terrible then. They've been bleeding out ever since. Obviously, this is true for every show, but Days lost its advantage at some point after 2006. They also were 1st in demos several times in 2005. I don't have spreadsheets on the other years, but the next time I take a sick day, I probably will, lol.

six
Member Avatar

Okay yea, we're talking different times. I'm thinking about the last five years or so.

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Jul 29 2012, 02:45 PM
Okay yea, we're talking different times. I'm thinking about the last five years or so.
Then we're talking about the same time, lol. We need to stop communicating. We suck at it.

six
Member Avatar

lysie
Jul 29 2012, 02:47 PM
six
Then we're talking about the same time, lol. We need to stop communicating. We suck at it.
I know we should let this drop, but I feel the need to clarify that we're talking about different times because you're looking at the period before the fall (which apparently the JER 2 years), and I'm looking at things starting in 2007 after the decline already happened (I chose that year because it was around that point that so many more options to watch Days were available). A lot of time could have been saved if we'd just thrown some time frames out there in the beginning.

lysie
Member Avatar

six
Jul 29 2012, 10:11 PM
lysie
Jul 29 2012, 02:47 PM
six
I know we should let this drop, but I feel the need to clarify that we're talking about different times because you're looking at the period before the fall (which apparently the JER 2 years), and I'm looking at things starting in 2007 after the decline already happened (I chose that year because it was around that point that so many more options to watch Days were available). A lot of time could have been saved if we'd just thrown some time frames out there in the beginning.
We can't drop things with each other, lol. It's too late for me, though, because I'm still confused. Going back to the beginning, I was originally answering the question about when Days' demos had ever been good, and the last time I can find when they looked good is 2006. And I'm talking about ranking, not amount, because I think demos is one place where ranking is a little more significant.

six
Member Avatar

We originally started talking about the rankings because you said you thought they could be compared. I was saying for the last few years, Days had been in spot 6 or 7 a lot, and now they're in spot 3 or 4, which is basically the exact same spot, now that five shows are gone. So, really, I think we agree that the decline occurred. The question is apparently whether them being at the bottom really tells us anything, when they're only at the bottom because the bottom is what used to be the middle a few years back. IDK, let's just agree.

outrageous
Member Avatar

lysie
Jul 29 2012, 09:06 AM
samixxx

Well...at the beginning of 2008 they were double what they are now. They've been slowly draining for a while. It looks like 2006 was the last year that they really outperformed most other shows. With a few exceptions around Februaru they most were 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in demos all year.
There were also a heck of a lot more soaps back in 2006. Days was probably never last on the list.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

outrageous
Jul 30 2012, 10:41 PM
lysie
Jul 29 2012, 09:06 AM
samixxx

There were also a heck of a lot more soaps back in 2006. Days was probably never last on the list.
Demos have been draining though since 2006 regardless of how many soaps there were. Days would maintain the #3 spot consistently in total viewers when there were about 7 soaps but the demos were not that predictable....they have been consistently losing that race for at least 5 years now.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply