Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
From These Roots Discussion
Topic Started: Jul 29 2012, 12:55 PM (258 Views)
Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

This is a thread to discuss From These Roots which ran from June 30, 1958 to December 29, 1961 on NBC.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I wish there was some surviving material of this somewhere because this has always been one of those "forgotten" soaps that has always interested me. From everything I've read, the series was VERY good and a cut FAR above the standard soap opera fare.

RutherfordBHayes

I agree with you, Matt. About the only thing I knew about it was the fact that Ann Flood (Nancy Pollack Karr on 'The Edge of Night' 1962-1984) appeared in it.

Being, somewhat of a soap historian, I just received an inquiry about it.
The writer said how upset he and his grandmother were when the show was cancelled in Dec 1961.

Before my illness, basically, incapicitated me, I was a member of the Paley Center in NYC. I'd love to know if they have any clips from this show. They're closed on Monday and Tuesday, so I'll call them on Wednesday.
If they do, perhaps, if the weather and my health both cooperate, maybe I'll be able to view a clip, if they have any. I'm very anxious to learn more about the show.

somersetfan
Member Avatar

There seems to be one episode available
http://www.paleycenter.org/collection/item/?q=from+these+roots&f=all&c=all&advanced=1&p=1&item=B:02159
It is dated June 30 1958. That would be the shows first episode.

Some facts about the show.

It was owned and produced by Proctor and Gamble who sold the show to NBC not long before they cancelled it.

Joe Mascolo and Millette Alexander(GL and Edge) both appeared on it.

Barbara Berjer(GL and AW) played an alcoholic actress named Lynn Franklin. From all recollections online she was absolutely astounding in the part.

Susan Brown(Gail on GH) subbed for Ann Flood while she was on maternity leave.

According to an article that was in SOD years ago an actress (Julie Bovasso) quit her role minutes before the show was to go on the air (live) so they got someone in the crew to stand in for her.

John Pickard and Frank Provo the shows creators quit the show a year before its cancellation after a disagreement with NBC. It has also been said they were "fired" because P&G discovered they were gay. They also created the short-lived soap Concerning Miss Marlowe which aired on NBC from 1954-1955 (and sounded just as interesting as FTR).

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Soap Opera History & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply