Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Gary Tomlin Discussion; History in the Business
Topic Started: Jul 30 2012, 12:18 PM (365 Views)
somersetfan
Member Avatar

Not really sure where to post this so I will post it here.

Gary has had every job in this business including actor. Really, I think we should discuss his writing history since that's what he is doing at Days right now.

Last week, I read Search for Tomorrow synopsis from the NBC years which Gary wrote a large marjority of. It actually seemed interesting. Reading that and knowing his history at Days, Sunset Beach and OLTL I was just curious what people really thought about him.

He certainly wrote alot of big umbrella stories.

On Search he wrote a story where lead heroine Jo was kidnapped and tortured for months. The story apparently "shocked" the nation and brought a rise in ratings.

He created the McCleary family. He wrote Sunny's rape and trial where the culprit was found not guilty. He's also responsible for the "Women to Watch" murders and for the "infamous" Henderson flood in 86.

While these weren't Shakespeare they certainly were interesting.

On Days he of course produced the "Baby Switch" and the "Sydnapping." He wrote Jessica Horton's DID, Sister Marie and Alex Marshall's love affair, Doug and Julie's second wedding and Marlena's rape by Kellam.

He of course did some bad. He is the reason Days is shooting so damn far ahead and of course for the casting changes in 09 and 12. Also, the botched returns of Vivian and Carly.

What's your thoughts on him? I think he did more good then bad.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Renee Dimera
Member Avatar

Somersetfan... this is quite the appropriate question for me to be asking, but didn't he create Renee Dumonde along with Pat Falkin-Smith?

somersetfan
Member Avatar

Renee started in early 81 so I am sure he did create her. He also brought back David. Pat Falkin-Smith would of course marry David and Renee later and create Tony who became a spoiler for them.

I also forgot to mention Gary's Another World history in my first post. He wrote for that show during his off years at Search with Richard Culliton. They created Jake, Vicky, Marly, Kathleen and Wallingford. Also, they were responsible for all of 84 and most of 85 which IMO was one the greatest periods of AW in its history.
Edited by somersetfan, Jul 30 2012, 03:59 PM.

somersetfan
Member Avatar

A few promos from Gary's head writing stint on Days in 1981.

This includes the whole NBC soap Line-up

Same as the one above

Edited by somersetfan, Aug 21 2012, 09:21 AM.

KMan101
Member Avatar

I like that he's bringing Jessica back to Days and brought on her son Nick back in the day (though Higley was there, I credit Tomlin for a lot of her last run). I hope he remembers Marie (who was actually brought back under him, for Alice's memorial month). His time at DAYS in the 80s interests me a lot, actually. I think he's fairly underrated but he has had some clunkers. I don't totally blame him for Vivian and Carly's botched returns. They weren't bad at first. It also felt like the Bo/Hope/Carly triangle was gutted.

He gets family interactions right and seems to delve into the past in his regimes on all the soaps. He brought back Al and Gabrielle on OLTL. Can't remember who else. He also got OLTL their Emmy win.

It's sad when in a few days of his returning to DAYS we have all the right people interacting. Families remember each other and interact (even if it is because of an unnecessary death). Unlike MarDar who after a few months seemed to isolate everyone into their own little bubbles. He does like big umbrella storylines. I think he's sort of the right person for DAYS at the moment. He gets the past but can run the show as it needs to be in the present. He's far from perfect but I see a lot more good qualities than bad. It's too bad he seemed to have pissed off Thaao Penghlis and Stephen Nichols. This is the perfect time for both actors to come back. I hated how they killed Tony and rushed Anna off the canvas. Anyway ...
Edited by KMan101, Aug 21 2012, 02:13 PM.

somersetfan
Member Avatar

I totally agree. He really knows how to write family. His first two episodes back at Days show that. It is really sad. MarDar said they wanted to write a show about family and yet the only real close family relationship was Will and Marlena.

I want Marie back desperately. She was Days first true heroine. As Marie Cheatham once said "Poor Marie has had everything happen to her." Marriage, Divorce, Miscarriage, Incest, Suicide attempts, Losing her faith/then becoming a nun. The only thing Marie escaped was rape. She could be a great sounding board for many characters.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

somersetfan
Aug 21 2012, 02:46 PM
The only thing Marie escaped was rape. She could be a great sounding board for many characters.
Yes, but she did have some naughty, naught sex with Alex while all drugged up. Lest we forget! :biggrin:

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
WANDERING Minstrel!

KMan101
Aug 21 2012, 02:12 PM
I like that he's bringing Jessica back to Days and brought on her son Nick back in the day (though Higley was there, I credit Tomlin for a lot of her last run). I hope he remembers Marie (who was actually brought back under him, for Alice's memorial month). His time at DAYS in the 80s interests me a lot, actually. I think he's fairly underrated but he has had some clunkers. I don't totally blame him for Vivian and Carly's botched returns. They weren't bad at first. It also felt like the Bo/Hope/Carly triangle was gutted.

He gets family interactions right and seems to delve into the past in his regimes on all the soaps. He brought back Al and Gabrielle on OLTL. Can't remember who else. He also got OLTL their Emmy win.

It's sad when in a few days of his returning to DAYS we have all the right people interacting. Families remember each other and interact (even if it is because of an unnecessary death). Unlike MarDar who after a few months seemed to isolate everyone into their own little bubbles. He does like big umbrella storylines. I think he's sort of the right person for DAYS at the moment. He gets the past but can run the show as it needs to be in the present. He's far from perfect but I see a lot more good qualities than bad. It's too bad he seemed to have pissed off Thaao Penghlis and Stephen Nichols. This is the perfect time for both actors to come back. I hated how they killed Tony and rushed Anna off the canvas. Anyway ...
I would LOVE to see my Anna come back!

somersetfan
Member Avatar

Grandpa Hughes
Aug 21 2012, 05:18 PM
I would LOVE to see my Anna come back!
I so wish Anna had stayed after her return in 2010. It would've been great to have her around after Carrie returned. And, I still say she would be a great spoiler for Adrienne and Justin. Anjelica part two!

What does everyone think so far of Tomsell's work? I know this is an unpopular opinion on this board but I am loving it. Apart from Daniel and Rafe I am enjoying watching every other character on the show. I love that they have pitted Jennifer and Nicole against each other. I wish Jack was the 3rd wheel in this instead of Daniel but :shrug:

I am liking Gabi and Nick. I really wish they would bring back Chelsea (played by Rachel Melvin of course). I loved Nick and Chelsea and think Gabi/Nick/Chelsea could be a great triangle. But with Billie and Bo leaving I doubt that will happen.

The other thing I will give Tomsell is they are writing Salem as a community. You feel Salem is a real town with the character interactions going on. Maggie/Caroline Caroline/Nick Sami/Kate vs Adrienne Lucas/Adrienne. It's just so real and natural. And they are actually writing for Caroline. She's not just a babysitter anymore LOL

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · Soap Opera History & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply