Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Historical Clip Discussion #3: Phelle Wedding
Topic Started: Jul 31 2012, 12:43 PM (1,788 Views)
EJamandBread
Member Avatar

Anyone care to fill me in on what was going on on the peripheries? Where was Marlena? Were John and Kate a couple? Why did Sami want to stop the wedding?

Thanks for sharing!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

concerned
Member Avatar

Is there some sort of pre marital counselling session we can send Salem women to which involves a chapter on don't agree to marry the guy if he's not the one you want.

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

EJamandBread
Jul 31 2012, 05:56 PM
Anyone care to fill me in on what was going on on the peripheries? Where was Marlena? Were John and Kate a couple? Why did Sami want to stop the wedding?

Thanks for sharing!
Marlena was locked in a castle with Roman, Cassie, Jack, Caroline, and Victor (probably more, but I don't remember).

John and Kate were together. I also think John was a junkie at this point or on his way to being one, lol.

I have no clue why Sami wanted to stop the wedding! Hmmm....

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Spencer Hastings
Jul 31 2012, 06:39 PM
EJamandBread

Thanks for sharing!
Marlena was locked in a castle with Roman, Cassie, Jack, Caroline, and Victor (probably more, but I don't remember).

John and Kate were together. I also think John was a junkie at this point or on his way to being one, lol.

He was a junkie, and they were not together.

anya
Member Avatar

EJamandBread
Why did Sami want to stop the wedding?
Sami & Lucas were engaged at the time and she was ticked because she wanted to get married before Belle to show Salem that she & Lucas were in love and had the real thing. I don't remember... was Phillip going to be shipped out so they had to move up the wedding?

BTW, Mimi looks like an Oompa Loompa.

Spencer Hastings
Member Avatar

The Room Stops
Jul 31 2012, 07:05 PM
Spencer Hastings
EJamandBread

Thanks for sharing!

Did they get together really soon after this then? My memory is hazy because I was heading off to college at that point and didn't have a tv so the video clips all ran together.
Edited by Spencer Hastings, Jul 31 2012, 07:30 PM.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

Belle took sami and Lucas wedding date and that made Sami pissed. I think belle and Philip rushed the wedding because he was being shipped out to Iraq

lysie
Member Avatar

Spencer Hastings
Jul 31 2012, 07:29 PM
The Room Stops
Spencer Hastings
EJamandBread

Thanks for sharing!

Did they get together really soon after this then? My memory is hazy because I was heading off to college at that point and didn't have a tv so the video clips all ran together.
The way I remember it (and it's not like I go back and watch this time period a lot, lol) it's kind of hard to pinpoint their relationship's beginning. They had sex in March, but she had been living with him as his caretaker since December. This is the beginning of John being a junkie. He got those first drugs from an old ISA contact so that he could walk Belle down the aisle.

EJ_SamiFF
Member Avatar

Why was John on drugs? What happen?

lysie
Member Avatar

Ej_SamiFF
Jul 31 2012, 08:34 PM
He had a bad back injury at Melaswen from a sword fight with Tandre...in the escape from Melaswen after the volcano (for the love of Pete...that story...) John and Marlena were one the couples that had to use a raft rather than a boat. When the waves got bad, Marlena strapped him to the raft because he couldn't swim, and she was the one swept away. So when he got back to Salem he couldn't even walk. The drugs were for the pain, and he got hooked on them.

AngelOB
Member Avatar
Life is awesome

You know this is an old clip when St. Luke's makes an actual appearance. This whole storyline was so weird to me, I was still getting used to Martha in the role and KB was never Philip for me. I still can't believe they had Shawn crash through the stained glass window on a motorcycle. WTF Shawn? :laugh:

I did love Phelle when JKJ came back though, those two were hot together!

lysie
Member Avatar

While what Shawn did was incredibly stupid, I think this is the kind of thing this generation should have been doing. Someone, I think Julie, later mentions that Shawn grew up hearing about his dad kidnapping his mom from her wedding on his motorcycle, and this was kind of his way of trying to copy what he'd heard...and obviously he royally screws it up. That's how I've always thought this generation should be. They grew up hearing these OTT adventure stories and OTT love stories, and what I wish the writers would have done was have them constantly trying to emulate that, and constantly falling on their faces and struggling to really get what they want. That's kind of what they did with both Sami and Shawn, but they focused so little on why their perceptions of things are so skewed that it really has taken that layer out of the characters.

Meanwhile, I always struggled with Phelle. I hated that Philip, and it drove me crazy that they got married this soon. They went on one date. I've always felt that all of the insta love stories started around this time. Does that sound right to anyone else or have I just made it that time in my head?

Kyrai

The Room Stops
Spencer Hastings
EJamandBread

Thanks for sharing!

I had thought they were together here too. I hated him being an addict, but I liked Kate and Brady helping him eventually. I was looking forward to a reunion with Doc, but I always felt bad the way things ended between him and Kate. For the first time, I actually liked her. It seemed like they would stay friends the way the relationship evolved, but then that amazingly awful Dr. North story happened, so I think I've blocked a lot out around this time.

am103
Member Avatar

I happened to LOVE this story on Days! Between the dumb plots of Jan Spears locking Shawn in her "love cage" (that happened before Phelle's wedding, right?) and the Belle/Philip insta-love, I was looking for something to spice things up. I thought it was very dramatic and I wish Days would add a little crazy to the canvas right now. The "Daysaster" is good, but I want more.

I miss the St. Luke's set. I wish Days would use the set more for weddings and funerals. I think the last time we saw it was Parker's baptism. Is it that expensive to use? It really irritated me when Maggie and Victor's wedding was at the Kiriakis mansion instead of the church, and there was NO family there.

Also, let it be known that I really miss Tanya Boyd's Celeste :( Is TB doing well health-wise?

UltimateScami

It feels just like yesterday I was watching this episode.I wanted Shawn and Belle to get back together. However, the more and more Shawn screwed up, I was willing to give Belle and Philip a chance.

I actually miss real weddings on Days now. All we get are Bo an Hope renewing their vows what it seems every 3 months and weddings mashed with charity events.

supercool74
Member Avatar

I couldn't stand this Philip. He was boring and just...stiff? What's weird is that the actor himself is actually quite funny. I read some of his blogs on-line years ago after he left the show and I thought he was great. But either his acting just isn't good, or the way they wanted him to portray the character just sucked. I agree JKJ is much better. Wasn't crazy about this era. I was watching but I don't remember really watching it with all my attention. I remember being bored through most of it.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

supercool74
Aug 1 2012, 12:48 AM
I couldn't stand this Philip. He was boring and just...stiff?
This might sound weird and shallow, but I think it was partly his body that made him seem stiff. He has that big head into a thick neck, he's very upright and kinda...block-like.

Manny
Member Avatar

lysie
Jul 31 2012, 08:37 PM
Ej_SamiFF
He had a bad back injury at Melaswen from a sword fight with Tandre...in the escape from Melaswen after the volcano (for the love of Pete...that story...) John and Marlena were one the couples that had to use a raft rather than a boat. When the waves got bad, Marlena strapped him to the raft because he couldn't swim, and she was the one swept away. So when he got back to Salem he couldn't even walk. The drugs were for the pain, and he got hooked on them.
Wasn't Tek also somehow involved with John's drug issue? Didn't Tek sneak into John's hospital room and drug him? I think I remember something like that happening back then.. It was eventually dropped though and then Tek was killed off..

I hated Phelle. I am probably one of the only people, but I never liked them. I am and will always be a Shelle fan. That said, I actually really warmed up to Kyle Brandt as Philip. I like JKJ, but I ended up really liking Brandt. I was sad to see him go.

I also never warmed up to Beemer and Martha as Shawn and Belle. Had nothing against them as actors. They were better than Cook and Storms, but I just hated how much they aged Shelle. HATE IT! Especially since Martha looks like she's older than Alison Sweeney, which was so wrong.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

lysie
Ej_SamiFF
And then Sami didn't help :)

He was mourning Marlena, he was in pain and that explains the drugs. Then Sami/Stan kept feeding him drugs once he was truly hooked.

Manny
Member Avatar

Manny
Aug 1 2012, 04:41 AM
lysie
Ej_SamiFF
Wasn't Tek also somehow involved with John's drug issue? Didn't Tek sneak into John's hospital room and drug him? I think I remember something like that happening back then.. It was eventually dropped though and then Tek was killed off..

I hated Phelle. I am probably one of the only people, but I never liked them. I am and will always be a Shelle fan. That said, I actually really warmed up to Kyle Brandt as Philip. I like JKJ, but I ended up really liking Brandt. I was sad to see him go.

I also never warmed up to Beemer and Martha as Shawn and Belle. Had nothing against them as actors. They were better than Cook and Storms, but I just hated how much they aged Shelle. HATE IT! Especially since Martha looks like she's older than Alison Sweeney, which was so wrong.

Oh it was Stan! I knew someone was involved in John's drug issue.
But wasn't there a moment where they implied that Tek was evil (doing something bad) which was later dropped?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums with no limits on posts or members.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply