Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
GH: August Discussion
Topic Started: Jul 31 2012, 03:53 PM (3,917 Views)
DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Duke!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Crazygirl
Member Avatar

Wow, Duke is back!!! Nice surprise.

Lucky
Member Avatar
Rafe proves EJ is a little bitch

Very happy I got to see Ian as Duke. I've heard great things about the character for years, really excited to see what story GH has planned for him.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

Kudos to GH for keeping this under wraps. I was so shocked when they showed up.

MojoMissy
Member Avatar

I'm thrilled that GH picked up Ian! I'm excited about GH these days. Is it perfect? No, but it's a whole lot better than it was.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

I know Duke is a character from the past, but from a time I watched GH. Can anyone give me a brief biography?

Nate
Member Avatar
#BitchIsBack

@Cubsgirl: From wikipedia.

The character's first scene was at the Port Charles Police Department's charity ball, where co-police chief Anna Devane dropped her scarf and Duke retrieved it and returned it to her.
There was an instant attraction between British Anna and Scottish Duke. A courtship swiftly ensued, though Anna remained suspicious of Duke to a degree. Duke owned the eponymous Duke's Club, an art-deco nightclub. Duke had an office above the club, and lived in a penthouse above the office.
What Anna didn't know is that Duke Lavery was working for the mob, which used his club to launder their dirty money. More importantly, Duke was ordered to romance Anna, to keep the co-chief of police preoccupied and monitored while the mob stepped up its plans to take over Port Charles.
Duke quickly realized he developed genuine feelings for Anna, and, recognizing his true love for her, he turned to mob boss Angus McKay for a way out. A fellow Scotsman, Angus promised Duke he could leave the mob with clean hands to marry Anna and begin his new life as soon as "the organization" completed its goal of infiltrating Port Charles. This didn't go over well with others in the organization, including hot-headed Damon, who continually threatened Duke with Anna and her daughter Robin's lives if Duke didn't stay in line and cooperate.
Things spiraled out of control after Damon ordered Anna's house bombed as a warning to Duke. The bombing of Anna's house brought her ex-husband Robert Scorpio back to town. Not merely a protective ex-husband and father (of Robin), Scorpio was (like Anna), an ex-WSB agent and the previous police commissioner of Port Charles.
Scorpio made it his mission to bring whomever was responsible for the bombing to justice, and, smelling a rat with Duke, correctly surmised that the bombing had something to do with Duke and his rumored ties to organized crime.
What Robert, Anna, and Duke didn't know was that "Mr. B.," the local head of the mob, was none other than Burt Ramsey--Anna's co-chief of police, and Robert's longtime right-hand man in the police department.
When it became evident that Angus and Mr. B. had no intention of ever letting Duke leave the mob in one piece, Duke confessed all to a devastated Anna, and helped Anna and Robert bring down the mob in a clever plot that Robert engineered. Unfortunately, Duke got caught in the crossfire of a mob assassin, and took a bullet meant for Robert. The shooting left Duke paralyzed.
Duke rebounded from his paralysis and received a light prison sentence for his mob activities. In early 1987, it was revealed that the imprisoned Angus McKay was Duke's father! In early January, a young beautiful nun, Sister Camellia, arrived in Port Charles. The troubled Camillia was the daughter of Angus and the half-sister of Duke! In earlier years, she had met and fallen in love with Duke, unaware they were related. The mystery deepened when it became apparent that Sister Camellia was deeply troubled by a night in her past which she could not remember. It was a night she spent in Canada in a town called L'Orleans.
Angus McKay, elderly and imprisoned, desperately wanted to end the vendetta between the warring McKay and Jerome families. To call a halt to the mob war, Angus made the ultimate sacrifice - he drank poison and died! With his dying breath, Angus begged Duke to look after Camellia. Soon after, Duke was paroled. A free man, he returned to the club and set out to raise the necessary funds to pay his heavy fine. When his debt was repaid, Duke would be free to marry the love of his life, Anna Devane.
Accompanying Duke to L'Orleans for Angus' funeral, Anna's intuition went into overdrive. She began to realize that there may have been far more in Duke and Camellia's past than just a sibling rivalry. Though Duke vehemently denied it, the truth that he was Camellia's brother and drove her to commit a murder she couldn't remember! Now, four years later, Camellia was determined to find out what happened on that fateful night -- although Duke warned her that it could destroy both their lives!
Camellia discovered that Angus was not her real father after all -- nor was Duke her brother! Sister Camellia abandoned the sisterhood and schemed to win back Duke by contacting a sleazy investigative reporter, Mark Carlin. Digging into Duke and Camellia's past, Carlin unearthed that Duke had covered up a murder in L'Orleans.
On Duke and Anna's wedding day, Mark exposed Duke's secret. Mid-ceremony, reporters crashed the wedding. Camelia's memories came back and she realized she killed Evan Jerome. When she was acquitted in Canada, Camelia realized she could never win Duke's love, and left Port Charles. Eventually, Anna broke up with Duke and started her own PI agency. She was delighted to have her ex-husband Robert Scorpio return to Port Charles to be her partner. Robert came back with sad news: Holly had died in a plane crash.
Robert to win back his former love, Anna, but she chose to reunite with Duke. A forlorn Robert Scorpio quietly observed Duke and Anna's rekindled bliss. He watched with a broken heart as they married in a glorious Scottish wedding.
To find Anna, Duke desperately turned to underworld crime boss Victor Jerome! Putting together the clues, both Duke and Robert independently tracked down Grant in the Adirondack Mountains. In a final snowmobile chase, Robert caught up to Grant. In a heart-stopping climax, he rescued the evil killer just as he was about to plummet from a cliff. After subduing Grant, Robert turned to Anna, who raced into his comforting arms, her ordeal finally over! Just then, Duke arrived on the scene and stood in stunned silence as he witnessed the sight of his wife in her ex-husband's arms.
Duke Lavery struggled to keep his underworld involvement under wraps. When Victor Jerome's son, Julian, took a bullet meant for Duke, he made a deathbed request of Duke to help his father legitimize the mob. Back in Port Charles, a grieving Victor intended to hold Duke to his promise! Meanwhile, Victor's brassy blonde daughter, Olivia, showed a strong attraction to Duke. Secretly, Olivia was obsessed with ruling the mob. Only a select few knew that it was Olivia who ruthlessly ordered the hit on her brother, Julian.
When Olivia Jerome realized she couldn't lure Duke from his pregnant wife Anna, she decided to kill him. But Anna became her unintended victim when she was caught in an elevator rigged to crash! Anna was rushed to General Hospital, where the fall cost her the life of her unborn baby. Later, Olivia was gunned down in her hotel suite. When the police arrived, they discovered Anna, holding a gun, standing over Olivia's fallen body! While Olivia lay comatose in General Hospital, Anna was charged with attempted murder. The real killer turned out to be Olivia's one-time henchman, Dino, who was also revealed to be Victor Jerome's illegitimate son. Olivia was shipped to a mental institution.
A triumphant Anna watched with glee as Olivia Jerome was found guilty and shipped to a mental institution. Though she would escape on several occasions, Olivia Jerome's long reign of terror against Anna was finally over! But so was Anna's marriage. After Duke testified against the mob, his life -- and that of his loved ones -- was in danger. Fearing that Anna and Robin were in danger, Duke sacrificed himself. He faked his own death in a warehouse explosion. Resigned to his fate, Duke secretly entered the Witness Relocation program. Later, learning of Victor Jerome's death, Duke believed it was now safe for him to live in the outside world. He left the Witness Protection Program. Unbeknownst to him, Victor's son Julian was hell-bent on revenge.
The Jerome crime family, weakened by Victor's death, regrouped under his son Julian, who had two objectives: to neutralize his dangerous sister Olivia and to see Duke Lavery truly dead. Julian planned to kill Duke (who had undergone plastic surgery and had a new face) and frame Olivia for the crime! Duke Lavery finally returned to Port Charles...with a new face, a new name, and no Scottish accent. As art dealer Jonathan Paget, he handled Sean Donely's purchase of some rare Chinese porcelain, the Wellington Collection. Duke wanted to go right to his beloved wife Anna, but he knew Julian Jerome was on his tail. Julian shot and killed his sister, Olivia, who clued Anna in on the fact that Duke was alive. Before they could be reunited, Duke was gunned down by his bitter enemy, Julian Jerome, and he died in Anna's arms.

Nate
Member Avatar
#BitchIsBack

GH is great! Love it right now!

happy
Member Avatar

I read on DC that Duke is back?! Where can I read a daily recap?! Damn it. I will have to put this back on my DVR again. Even though I think the poisoned water thing is stupid. And I guess I'm the only person in the world who is NOT a fan of Jerry Jax. I think SR is seriously over rated. I liked the metro hostage story, but they shouldn't have made him Jerry Jax. I just don't think SR is capable of playing levels or colors. He is just always smarmy. I never buy that he actually loves anyone or is ever torn. Boring.

But wow! Good for GH for keeping IB's return a secret!!! Soaps never are able to surprise people like this anymore! I wonder if TR will be back as well?

As for Duke lavery's history - he was before my time. I had to catch up via google and YouTube. He and Anna Devans were a super couple. He was a gangster and she was the police commissioner. They fell in love. He gave up the mob and was killed. He then came back as another actor (plastic surgery after the explosion I think?). And he was killed off again.

The scenes I saw on YouTube - he had a brooding, intense quality. He and Anna had a very Intense, romantic, sexy vibe. Whereas Anna and Robert were lighter - funny banter between best friends with underlying sexual tension. But the sexual tension between Anna and Duke was palpable and undeniable. From the first moment they met.

Wow!! I can't wait to see Anna and Duke together.

Edited by happy, Aug 27 2012, 09:57 PM.

Crazygirl
Member Avatar

There has to be a reason that Duke is keeping Robin a prisoner. I think he is actually helping her in some way. No way he would hurt Anna and Robin like this if it wasn't for a good reason.

I may be in the minority but I always preferred Anna and Duke to Anna and Robert. I loved them together. Kudos to GH for actually keeping his return under wraps. With the internet these days nothing is kept a secret but they managed it!! I can't wait until Anna finds out that he's alive and he has Robin.

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

Thanks for the biography Nate. Don't know why I didn't think about going to Wikipedia.

I do give GH a lot of credit for keeping this under wraps. While I love good spoilers, sometimes there are too many spoilers that I am not even surprised anymore.

happy
Member Avatar

Ok. I just caught today's episode on YouTube! ITA, Crazygirl. Duke is helping Robin. Or maybe he is under mind control as well? I loved the shot of IB as Duke. He didn't say a word - but there was so much in his expression! I saw pain and anguish. Anyone else?

And I liked seeing Tracey with someone besides Luke. Seems silly that this other mobster would suddenly grow a heart. But I will take it if it means Luke finally has to compete for Tracy.

Anna's scenes with faux Robin were heartbreaking! FH is soooo good. Cannot wait to see FH and IB in scenes together!!! :cheer:

And I loved seeing Patrick save Elizabeth. Love their friendship.

I hate the water story. It's like watching a Batman villain story line. And I hate that Jason is working with John. Jason is NOT a hero. I bought it for the first few years. But it's gotten old. Jason is a hit man. He is a goon by choice. I want McBain to take him and Sonny down.

But I'm excited that Duke's return was kept secret. And I can't wait for the scrubs reunion. So GH is on my TiVo! I hope Mac comes out of retirement to help. And I hope Robert comes back. It would be fun to watch Robert and Jax - invasion of the Aussie heroes. LOL.

Finally, if Jerry has an antidote - why doesnt he take it? Looks like he is sick himself! So glad we are not spoiled. Hope the ratings go up in September!!!
Edited by happy, Aug 27 2012, 10:08 PM.

JWTEDDY

I have been a watcher of all three abc soaps for years. My favorite was One life to live. I LOVE General Hospital and the way it is being written lately it is very exciting and lots happening. everyday is a MUST SEE. One thing i am completly annoyed with is Carly. What makes her SOOO special that she a married women has to have not one but three men on her doorstep. Jax is her husband i can see that but johnny is a nice looking guy who can get any women why hook up with Carly! Then there is Todd Manning my all time favorite soap character. His relationship with carly makes me the most annoyed. When abc announced the oltl people were going to gh they promised THE MANNINGS. That includes Todd BLAIR, Starr, son JACK son SAM. So far all we got is Todd and Blair on for a short time twice. Plus the gh writers are throwing a carly todd hookup down our throats. I never liked carly if she should be with anyone it is Jax or Sonny. I dont mind a friendship between carly and todd but further then that i would not want to see. What Todd needs is Blair back soon. I heard FrankValentini say she will be back in the fall for a longer period of time and im glad cant wait. Carly needs some competition in port charles and todd needs the love of his life back with him. :makeout:

bstreis
Member Avatar
No matter what you think, I DO love you.

Oh this show, I just love it so. You never know on what given day you're going to get a shocker or a surprise. It's a Monday and they reveal Duke. Like really? Awesome.

And I like the poison water story. It'll give the hospital some drama and I like seeing Jax back.

Go figure, the 2 people I wouldn't have minded being poisoned and soon to be dead (Kristina and Trey) are safe in Vegas :eyeroll:

Joe Jr and Tracy, I could dig that. As long as it doesn't turn out to be him just using her to get her money.

Anna and Luke still skeeve me out when they're all lovey and when they kiss :puke:

Anna realizing the girl wasn't Robin was heartbreaking. And I like the Swedish doctor.

Could Steve be anymore boring?

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

Getting caught up on the week of episodes. Few thoughts:
1. Love seeing John McBain taking charge at the PCPD. Just nice to see it isn't the mob guys as the only heroes in town.

2. Michael and Starr are really growing on me. I started seeing it in the scenes between the two in the hotel after Michael beat up Trey.

3. Need to have Carly dump Johnny and lets get a Todd/Carly/Jax triangle going on. There is still a part of me that would rather see Carly/Todd as friends, but saw something when Jax was back in the picture.

4. Still not feeling Luke and Anna.

talbab1994
Member Avatar

A.J. Quartermaine helping Jerry Jax? Hey, that's interesting!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply