Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Jason47's From the Vault: August 1 Release!; Treasure trove of "Days" tidbits from the show's history
Topic Started: Aug 1 2012, 11:33 PM (1,179 Views)
Jason47
Member Avatar

As the two-week Olympics hiatus continues, delve into this treasure trove of random "Days" tidbits from the show's history. Read how passionate head writer Bill Bell was during his first year with the show, see the paperwork of sitcom actress Christina Applegate's debut as an actress (as a baby boy), see the parking clearance of Steve & Kayla's baby daughter Stephanie's birth episode, and find out whose return to "Days" was cloaked in secrecy and listed by an alternate name (David) in the scripts! All that and more at http://www.jason47.com
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nickyj12345
Member Avatar

May God rest his soul...

...but the late Mr. Bell sounds like a first-class d-bag.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Pretty cool info Jason!

Sindacco
Member Avatar

nickyj12345
Aug 1 2012, 11:35 PM
May God rest his soul...

I think he sounds very passionate about his work. Maybe Days wouldn't be in such a mess if the writers of today were more like him.

Jason47
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Aug 1 2012, 11:45 PM
nickyj12345
Aug 1 2012, 11:35 PM
May God rest his soul...

I think he sounds very passionate about his work. Maybe Days wouldn't be in such a mess if the writers of today were more like him.
As he mentioned, he was taught from two of the best (Irna & Ted)!! I don't think he was being rude about the others, he was just saying that they (the cast & directors) were all pretty new to the daytime drama business.
Edited by Jason47, Aug 1 2012, 11:49 PM.

AHM

I really like Bill Bell's letter. Makes me wish he were writing for the show. I liked this and miss this kind of writing:

"Reality. Believability. Characters to be motivated."

See. I don't know what motivates any of the thirty-somethings. I don't know whom they love or why or why not they do or don't, but it changes weekly anyway. I don't know why they act one way one day and another the next. I don't know what motivated Jennifer to dump on Jack, the love of her life, after he'd been tortured for a year or why she was hung up on Dan. I don't get why bland Gabi would suddenly go psycho over Chad. These are problems with the show, I think.

Kansa
Member Avatar

I didn't know that about Christina Applegate! How cool!

Interesting info all around - thanks for posting, Jason!

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

AHM
Aug 2 2012, 12:14 AM
I really like Bill Bell's letter. Makes me wish he were writing for the show. I liked this and miss this kind of writing:

"Reality. Believability. Characters to be motivated."

See. I don't know what motivates any of the thirty-somethings. I don't know whom they love or why or why not they do or don't, but it changes weekly anyway. I don't know why they act one way one day and another the next. I don't know what motivated Jennifer to dump on Jack, the love of her life, after he'd been tortured for a year or why she was hung up on Dan. I don't get why bland Gabi would suddenly go psycho over Chad. These are problems with the show, I think.
Aaron Sorkin's said something about that. That there's no point in writing a scene if the audience doesn't know what the character wants. It doesn't matter so much WHAT he wants, as his reasons for it need to make sense to the audience. Then they'll follow you.

DaysForever
Member Avatar

Look at that. DAYS used to tape roughly 2 weeks in advance (tape date: Feb. 24; air date: Mar. 7).

Awesome stuff, Jason.

Jason47
Member Avatar

DaysForever
Aug 2 2012, 02:05 PM
Look at that. DAYS used to tape roughly 2 weeks in advance (tape date: Feb. 24; air date: Mar. 7).

Awesome stuff, Jason.
Even closer to airdate back in the earliest days. They were set to tape the November 8, 1965 pilot just one week prior on November 1, but ended up doing it the Friday before (October 29). But again, the 1960s and early 1970s were when the show needed NO editing, so that's why they could tape 1 week-2 weeks in advance. Plus they were only 24 minutes (without the 6 minutes of commercials) from 1965-1975, so that helped too. They would shoot the show exactly in order from start to finish and they couldn't stop in the middle of the scene, since they had no editing capabilities. So they would average 4-5 scenes per episode and tape everything without stopping tape (only if they made a really big error). They would then insert two minutes of black (for the commercials), and then tape the next scene. They had to tape the entire half hour like that, including the commercials, since they didn't edit at all, other than having NBC add in the commercials over the 2-minutes black screens once they sent the tape to NBC.
Edited by Jason47, Aug 2 2012, 03:49 PM.

bohope80s
Member Avatar

Bo Hope Pulling all the strings

If you watch some of the old clips you can catch the little mistakes, but they probably thought they were too small to edit out. For example in 1983 and 84 Bo and Hope had alot of mistakes but they kept going. One I can think of right now would be in 1984 when Bo and Hope were sneaking around, they were hiding out in Bo's apartment and Hope should've yelled Bo's name during an argument but instead yelled Dad and then said Bo...Love those old clips!

Sorry but I still have trouble embedding the video.
Edited by bohope80s, Aug 2 2012, 03:58 PM.

Jason47
Member Avatar

bohope80s
Aug 2 2012, 03:57 PM
If you watch some of the old clips you can catch the little mistakes, but they probably thought they were too small to edit out. For example in 1983 and 84 Bo and Hope had alot of mistakes but they kept going.
That's not the time frame I was referring to though. The "non-edit" days were in the 1960s and 1970s. By the 1980s, they started taping the shows out of order (from start to finish) and instead started taping them by sets (Horton Living Room, Kiriakis Mansion, etc...) That's when the blooper reels start popping up, around 1980, a lot of which aired on Dick Clark's bloopers show. There were no "outtakes" prior to 1980 or so, since they did the show from start to finish and would rewind the tape (and thus tape over any bloopers) back then. But around 1980 (at the latest) is when they could easily stop tape and tape a scene over again, since the show now had editors. But, as you mentioned, they would still keep taping and keep minor errors in, since they had so many pages (over 80 plus) to tape in one day.

trojangal
Member Avatar

Jason47
Aug 1 2012, 11:33 PM
As the two-week Olympics hiatus continues, delve into this treasure trove of random "Days" tidbits from the show's history. Read how passionate head writer Bill Bell was during his first year with the show, see the paperwork of sitcom actress Christina Applegate's debut as an actress (as a baby boy), see the parking clearance of Steve & Kayla's baby daughter Stephanie's birth episode, and find out whose return to "Days" was cloaked in secrecy and listed by an alternate name (David) in the scripts! All that and more at http://www.jason47.com
Thanks for all of the info !!

I think Bill Bell was still living in Chicago in those days wasn't he ?
I know his wife Lee Phillip Bell was on tv in Chicago & at some point they
moved to LA perhaps when Y & R got started.
BTW Genoa City is a town close to Lake Geneva, WI a popular
area for many in Chicago owning 2nd homes/lake houses.

Also was the Richard Marx listed as a juror in the 1990 scene
the singer?

Jason47
Member Avatar

trojangal
Aug 3 2012, 08:28 PM

the singer?
Yes. The Bells lived in Chicago until the early 1980's perhaps? I noticed that name too as a juror. I think the singer Richard Marx would have been a little bit busy with his own career to have stopped by and did a non-speaking role at "Days" though!

trojangal
Member Avatar

Jason47
Aug 4 2012, 01:34 PM
trojangal
Aug 3 2012, 08:28 PM

the singer?
Yes. The Bells lived in Chicago until the early 1980's perhaps? I noticed that name too as a juror. I think the singer Richard Marx would have been a little bit busy with his own career to have stopped by and did a non-speaking role at "Days" though!
Thanks for the info Jason!

specialcases
Member Avatar

cool stuff! thanks!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply