Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
TVLine: Jonathan Jackson talks Nashville and General Hospital
Topic Started: Aug 2 2012, 08:37 PM (524 Views)
Daytime
Member Avatar

Jonathan Jackson on Making Music in Nashville and Remaining Open to a General Hospital†Return
By Megan Masters

Jonathan Jackson may be moving on from soaps with a co-starring role in one of fallís buzziest new series, ABCís Nashville, but that doesnít mean heís closing the door on General Hospital for good. Here, the five-time Daytime Emmy-winning actor previews for TVLine his role on the country music-tinged drama and discusses why heíll never say never when it comes to the sudser that is ďa huge part of my heart.Ē

TVLINE | Talk a little about the transition from daytime TV to a full-time primetime series.

They are very different. Itís not a strange transition in an awkward way; itís just interesting. Iíve been doing films since I was pretty young, so I know the pace. But Iíd been doing the soap-opera pace for the last couple years, and to get a script now with the amount of dialogue compared to what I was doing is just incredible. This is a very unique show. Iíve been doing music pretty seriously for seven to eight years with [my band] Enation, and to have a show like this where I get to act and sing and explore those things is pretty amazing.

TVLINE | Will you have the chance to incorporate any of your own music into Nashville?

Sure, yeah. The producers are encouraging us to bring our original music in. I havenít found the time yet to get into a studio and demo some of that, but I will.

TVLINE | Does that mean youíll to veer into country music territory at all?

No. My character Avery is more avant-garde musically, so I think the audience will get to see that side of the Nashville music scene through him. I wouldnít say heís very country at all, really. Heís really more Americana. [Recording artist] Elvis Costello is a good example, I guess. He does a lot of different genres and uses a lot of different voices. His lyrical content is very broad and deep, so weíre excited to explore the more indie music scene in Nashville.

TVLINE | We donít get to know your character very well in the pilot, so what can you tell us about him?

Avery has given his heart and soul to his music, but at the same time the music that he loves isnít easily acceptable to a broad range of people; itís not mainstream. Thatís a very strange place to be when you want your music to be heard and it doesnít fit a mold. Heís very ambitious artistically, and I think he carries all of the complexities and contradictions that [many] artists do; they tend to be very insecure people and yet also confident ó which you have to be to get up on stage.

TVLINE | It would be an understatement to say that youíre missed on General Hospital. But I have to tell you that I think storylines are a bit lighter under new showrunner Frank Valentini than what was happening near the end of your run.

I havenít been able to really watch it, but Iíve been hearing positive things, which is cool. I was also excited to hear that [former General Hospital executive producer] Jill [Farren Phelps] went to Y&R. I was excited for her.

TVLINE | Given that so much of your career took place on General Hospital, what are your thoughts on the show celebrating its 50th anniversary next season?

Itís been a trying time for daytime. Itís interesting to me that a lot of people have been calling Nashville a primetime soap opera because I think there is recognition that thereís something about the soap opera that people like. So much on television today is focused on CGI and action, but at the heart of it, people want to watch relationships and human drama and choices. And [series boss] Callie [Khouri] is amazing at that. She writes for characters. I donít know how I got there for that question. [Laughs] Anyway, Iím really happy for everybody that General Hospital is continuing. There are so many people there that I love, not just the cast but the crew, and Iím really grateful they get to keep going. Everybody works so hard.

TVLINE | Fans are certainly hoping Nashville does well, but thereís always some hope that youíll return to General Hospital† Do you ever see yourself heading back to daytime? Or is that door closed?

You know, years ago when I was younger I probably would have made some decisions like that. Nowadays Iíve learned to not plan or strategize as much. Life happens, and you just never know. So for me, everythingís sort of open. I would be open to doing more on General Hospital. I love the people there and I love working with Anthony Geary and Rebecca Herbst and Steve [Burton] and Maurice [Benard] and everybody. GH has a huge part of my heart. Over the years when people leave daytime and they go to primetime or film or whatever, thereís always this sense of [not returning]Ö I donít feel that way about it. General Hospital has an incredible group of actors, just amazing. Iíve learned so much working there, so I feel like Iíll always be open to doing that.

http://tvline.com/2012/08/02/jonathan-jackson-general-hospital-nashville/#more-350343

Edited by Daytime, Aug 2 2012, 08:39 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · GH: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply