Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Daytime Royalty Interview with Chandler Massey
Topic Started: Aug 3 2012, 03:40 PM (4,939 Views)
lysie
Member Avatar

Earlier today DR staff had the opportunity to talk to Chandler Massey. See what he has to say about WilSon, how he was hired at Days, and Twitter.

Did anything change at the show after your Emmy win?
No.† Everythingís the same.† I didnít expect any differently.† Weíve had quite a few Emmy winners in the cast.

Has the change in writers affected your character?
Yeah.† It definitely has.† I think every time a new headwriter takes over they sometimes have a different vision for the character than the previous writers.† Thereís definitely been a change.

Have you been working with the same people, or will there be a change?
I think I will be working with different people.† Younger.† Iíll be going younger.

Can you tell us anything about Gary Tomlin and Chris Whitesellís vision for Will?
Um.† I guess I can say that Gary is the one who first created the coming out story for Will, so now that heís back youíll be able to see more of that.† I wish I could be more specific.

Why have things been so secretive recently?
I thought it was kind of always that way, but I guess especially when thereís a regime change and they have all these great ideas for how to bring up ratings and tell stories and they donít want it be spoiled I guess.†

Tell us about your Twitter clarification earlier this week.
The Frontiers magazine interview I did, there was a question about if Will would ever find romance basically. And I said that well, basically itís a soap so thereís always going to be romance.† But in terms of me and Freddie that could very well happen and I said that Iíve always been a fan of their friendship, their platonic relationship.† But whatever direction they take the story, Iím going to play it the best that I can.† I guess some people interpreted that as me not wanting a relationship between Will and Sonny.† Which is not true.† The point I was trying to make was that regardlessÖfirst of all, I am a Wilson fan. Definitely.† But regardless of my personal feelings, I was trying to make the point that it doesnít matter what my feelings are, itís my job to take what they give me and make it come to life.† That was what the clarification on Twiter was.† Iím actually really excited about the possibility, and I canít spoil anything but Iím speculating that somewhere down the line I could see that happening., and Iím looking forward to it.†

Do you read the feedback online?
Sometimes I do.† I always check my twitter, but Iím discouraged from going on and checking the online things.† Iím sure thereís a lot of stuff.† You know if youíre going to believe the good, you have to believe the bad.† Iím sure thereís a good amount of both out there.† I definitely do keep up with my twitter.† People are very positive on there, so thatís great.

Thereís been a recent online controversy involving a tweet from Melissa Reeves in support of Chick-fil-A.† Have you seen that?
No.† I didnít see it.† I really donít want to get involved.† I think my thoughts on civil rights and human equality have been pretty clear, so I guess you can gather from that.†

Youíve gotten a lot of attention this year for working with some of the big names on the show.
Definitely.† I am soÖI feel like each time I get to work with James or Deidre or any one of the vets or the stars of the show itís a blessing and a privilege because I get to learn something from those people.† I really enjoy it.† But then again, I enjoy working with everyone.† I havenít not enjoyed working with someone on the show.

James Scott has given several interviews where heís discussed how he plays his scenes with you.† How do you play those scenes?
Well, as far as the sexual chemistry goes, I play and Iíve always played as long as Iíve been doing the scenes with JamesÖWill is gay.† And EJ is like JamesÖa very handsome man.† Rich, powerful, charismatic.†† How can you not be taken in by that somewhat?† So thereís that element.† But Iíve also played the fact that Will is always trying to get EJ to like him and respect him.† And that seems to be a hard enough task in most scenes, because respect is not something that EJ gives out generously.†

Weíve heard a lot about your work† with James Scott and Deidre Hall.† Tell us about working with your onscreen parents Bryan Datillo and Alison Sweeney.
Well, first of all Bryan isÖI always tell him heís the funniest guy.† He really is.† Heís the nicest guy.† Heís the funniest guy.† Our scenes together are so much fun.† Sometimes theyíre not supposed to be because weíre supposed to be fighting or whatever, but heís just such a great person and so much fun to work with.† And Ali of course as well.† I always cherich the opportunity to work with her.† She is amazing as well.

Do you think Chill (Chad/Will) will ever get a chance?
No.† I donít think so.† I mean, heís the only straight single guy, and they need at least one of those.

Do you have a favorite moment working on Days?
I would have to sayÖI donít know.† You got me there.† Iíll think about it for the rest of the interview.

Has there been anything youíve done on Days that you didnít like?
No.† Not yet.† Iíve pretty much liked everything theyíve given me.

Tell us how you were cast as Will.
Well, I came out to LA in late September 2009 and auditioned for it in November.† It was just the role of Matt.† It was just †like a basic scene between a boy and a girl.† I went through three rounds of auditioning, and I didnít know what role I was auditioning for until I got it.† And I wasnít allowed to say until, like, February.† After I got it, they told me I was going to be playing Will, and I was like ďThatís weird.† Thereís already a Will.Ē

How would you summarize your character?
You know actually, this is a great question.† And Iíve been thinking about it, because I think this has kind of changed over time for me.† In the past, I played Will as just kind of this good kid who was kind of this rock of his family.† He was more mature than his mom was, and they story backed that up.† He was making the right decisions and being the voice of reason, and recently I guess thatís kind of changed.† Willís kind of made some bad decisions and heís been a little bit of a prick, and I think Iíve been playing Will as someone tries to get what he wants, and heís not afraid to hurt any feelings.† Heís less of a good guy now.† Iíve been playing Will as someone who many of the viewers might not like as much.

Is there anything else youíd like to say to the fans?
I just want to say to the fans that have been hoping for or looking forward to a gay romance on the show, Iím right there with them, and I will do my absolute best to make the story compelling, and Iím sure Freddie will obviously do the same.†
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Quote:

Have you been working with the same people, or will there be a change?
I think I will be working with different people. Younger. Iíll be going younger.

GOOD! Its about time there's some interaction with the younger group.

Quote:

Thereís been a recent online controversy involving a tweet from Melissa Reeves in support of Chick-fil-A. Have you seen that?
No. I didnít see it. I really donít want to get involved. I think my thoughts on civil rights and human equality have been pretty clear, so I guess you can gather from that.

A. He says he always checks his twitter, at least one person RT that to him, so he probably did see it. B. He's smart to not get involved!

TFP

OliveAnn

lysie
Aug 3 2012, 03:40 PM
No.† Everythingís the same.† I didnít expect any differently.† Weíve had quite a few Emmy winners in the cast.

Such as...?

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

OliveAnn
Aug 3 2012, 03:54 PM
lysie

Such as...?
Of those that are currently on the show:

Suzanne Rogers (Maggie), Peggy McCay (Caroline, but it wasn't for her Days role), Judi Evans (Adrienne, but it wasn't for her Days role).

With Massey included, only two current Days actors have won for their work on the show. Pretty sad.

OliveAnn

Bright Eyes
Aug 3 2012, 03:58 PM
OliveAnn
Aug 3 2012, 03:54 PM
lysie

Such as...?
Of those that are currently on the show:

Suzanne Rogers (Maggie), Peggy McCay (Caroline, but it wasn't for her Days role), Judi Evans (Adrienne, but it wasn't for her Days role).

With Massey included, only two current Days actors have won for their work on the show. Pretty sad.
Sad indeed, and very far from "quite a few", even when McCay and Evans are included.

michr544125

Awesome interview!!! Thank you so much for asking the direct questions that fans want the answers to!

So excited about Will finally back into the younger scene and what sounds like out of the EJ scene. I do want the younger once to interact with the adults and hope they aren't completely segregated from them but the younger crowd needs to be brought back together again and reestablished because it's a hot mess right now.

Sounds like there is a lot more coming with the gay story and romance but he said he can't say anything. Eileen kind of spoiled it though any way :wub: . Wow, we might actually see a real gay storyline instead of it being treated as almost non existent.

Edited by michr544125, Aug 3 2012, 04:19 PM.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

I was hoping you would ask him about his obnoxious smirking. I'm glad to hear he will be working with the younger crowd now. MarDar really botched things there by mostly removing him from scenes with characters his own age.

six
Member Avatar

Good interview. At least he kind of said something. I don't mind Will going younger, but I hope that doesn't mean all the age groups will be segregated.

yourstar

AWESOME interview! Love the fact that you guys ask questions that your readers really want the answers to. No fluff. Love it!

sonwill
Member Avatar

Quote:

Is there anything else youíd like to say to the fans?
I just want to say to the fans that have been hoping for or looking forward to a gay romance on the show, Iím right there with them, and I will do my absolute best to make the story compelling, and Iím sure Freddie will obviously do the same.

Love it (this bit in particular) And the other Wilson bit that I can't be bother to quote but Thanks so much for this interview! Awesome

LonePirate
Member Avatar

Thanks for the interview!

He seems so genuine and appreciative of his role and his work which is very refreshing. I just might have to start liking his character again now.

michr544125

LonePirate
Aug 3 2012, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the interview!

He seems so genuine and appreciative of his role and his work which is very refreshing. I just might have to start liking his character again now.
Agree with that. I know I'm going to enjoy Will more because he's entering back into the younger scene with what seems major focus on the gay storyline.

I think this is one of my favorite Chandler interviews. Of course I could be a biased WilSon fan talking because I liked his answers. I appreciate him clarifying once again what he meant. HIs other interviews were very ambiguous and truly made me believe the opposite of what he just said.

I don't buy that he didn't know about MR's tweet. Sounded like he did know but just wanted to stay out of it.
Edited by michr544125, Aug 3 2012, 04:42 PM.

peaches179

lysie
But regardless of my personal feelings, I was trying to make the point that it doesn't matter what my feelings are, it's my job to take what they give me and make it come to life.

Hmmm...........

Thanks for posting!

peaches179

dc cubs
Aug 3 2012, 04:13 PM
I was hoping you would ask him about his obnoxious smirking.

I know! Thats what I was hoping! He seem to do it worst when he's around EJ. :eyeroll:
Edited by peaches179, Aug 3 2012, 04:36 PM.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Aw, he got me by saying that Will is a little bit of a prick. No over-rationalizing behavior, no acting like we're all supposed to love the character (or love-to-hate). Just: he's a bit of a prick. And not a lot of trying to explain why/whether it's OK for him to be that way. I appreciate that.

Thanks for the interview. Once again, y'all just charge in there directly.

Aldo
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting. I've been waiting for so long to see DR interviewing Chandler. So happy to see that it could be done.

Quote:

Is there anything else you'd like to say to the fans?
I just want to say to the fans that have been hoping for or looking forward to a gay romance on the show, I'm right there with them, and I will do my absolute best to make the story compelling, and I'm sure Freddie will obviously do the same.

Thanks for re-confirming WilSon once again, Chandler... :wub: :wub:

I want to see those kisses Eileen was talking about. :rockon: :rockon:

JamaicanBeauty7
Member Avatar

six
Aug 3 2012, 04:18 PM
Good interview. At least he kind of said something. I don't mind Will going younger, but I hope that doesn't mean all the age groups will be segregated.
I agree. He needs to be more involved with his age group but not just them like they have done with Mel and Co. for the most part. I loved his interactions with EJ and hopes he still talks to him from time to time.

badaddiction
Member Avatar

JamaicanBeauty7
Aug 3 2012, 06:29 PM
six
Aug 3 2012, 04:18 PM
I agree. He needs to be more involved with his age group but not just them like they have done with Mel and Co. for the most part. I loved his interactions with EJ and hopes he still talks to him from time to time.
That's my hope as well. I've never liked the younger/teen set, even when I was a younger/teen. So, I'll be catching him on the rare occasion that he - hopefully - share scenes with EJ.

Ireland98

Great interview! Love Chandler :wub:

Of course I'm VERY disappointed about ending the EJILL dynamic. Everything between EJ, Sami, & Will has been SO enjoyable to watch. I was really excited about the idea of Will being grey character. Will's been such an interesting character so far this year and I worry that he may go back to being boring.

But, I'll keep my hopes up that everything coming up with Will and a WilSon romance will be good!

michr544125

Aldo
Aug 3 2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks for posting. I've been waiting for so long to see DR interviewing Chandler. So happy to see that it could be done.

Quote:

Is there anything else you'd like to say to the fans?
I just want to say to the fans that have been hoping for or looking forward to a gay romance on the show, I'm right there with them, and I will do my absolute best to make the story compelling, and I'm sure Freddie will obviously do the same.

Thanks for re-confirming WilSon once again, Chandler... :wub: :wub:

I want to see those kisses Eileen was talking about. :rockon: :rockon:
Finally some WilSon romance is coming. I know we already knew but still love hearing it from Chandler :cheers: . I only hope the writing allows them to make it as compelling as fans want it to be.
Edited by michr544125, Aug 3 2012, 06:56 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply