Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ratings Report Week of July 23-27 2012; Days got good numbers
Topic Started: Aug 3 2012, 07:08 PM (3,576 Views)
michelle
Member Avatar

My hubs used to work for ABC and he says that tv shows do not have to pay networks to advertise their programming. Networks set aside a certain amount of time for promotional spots for advertisements and "eat" the costs for those time slots because they know that by promoting their shows, it should increase ratings for those shows and they in turn can charge advertisers more money.

Primetime shows bring in WAY more advertising dollars than daytime shows do, so primetime advertisements get the majority (if not all) of those "free" slots.

Lastly, at best the promo slots themselves are 15 seconds, 30 seconds max. The great DAYSASTER promo is 1 minute, 38 seconds. This is WAY WAY WAY more time then the networks would ever allow any show to use for a "free" promo, thus, they can only show the super sized DAYSASTER promo online.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

michelle
Aug 8 2012, 02:33 PM
My hubs used to work for ABC and he says that tv shows do not have to pay networks to advertise their programming. Networks set aside a certain amount of time for promotional spots for advertisements and "eat" the costs for those time slots because they know that by promoting their shows, it should increase ratings for those shows and they in turn can charge advertisers more money.

Primetime shows bring in WAY more advertising dollars than daytime shows do, so primetime advertisements get the majority (if not all) of those "free" slots.

Lastly, at best the promo slots themselves are 15 seconds, 30 seconds max. The great DAYSASTER promo is 1 minute, 38 seconds. This is WAY WAY WAY more time then the networks would ever allow any show to use for a "free" promo, thus, they can only show the super sized DAYSASTER promo online.
This is all totally true...which you don't need me to say. But its exactly everything that I've ever heard. They don't really eat the cost, because the cost isn't truly there. They set the market for the cost so they're not losing anything...they just aren't gaining the money they could be in that spot. Also with the price of Olympic spots right now because of the super high ratings they would never run a promo that long. And running it once almost seems not worth it. I would expect them to make a 15-18 second promo with saying go to nbc.com/days (whatever the DAYS official website is) for an extended look. I think they should run that once a night at least during the Olympics, but they don't care about DAYS enough and that network needs every penny they can get.

reagon

Ok there may not be an outright charge for the time but those costs are built into budgets and such for NBC and for the shows that are promoted. Example being NBC has so many spots available for Tier5 shows assuming Days is a tier 5 show during various timeslots and allocates those timeslots accordingly. And if Days uses one of those timeslots then in effect it debits its count. I dont believe any network just hands over a zillion promotion slots for a show without some return. Its possible the Olympics, due to the high advertising rate it now demands, may have had no slots for a tier 5 show. I'm still gonna bet that a Days promo is run possibly during the day either today or tomorrow. Evenings are obviously prime tier 1 slots. But heck they could even run the promo on MSNBC or Bravo, both are airing Olympic coverage during the day and on weekends along with NBC.

I honestlt really dont think it matters much anyway. NBC promoted shows like The Event, Parenthood that it expected to do well and neither show lived up to any of the promotion given. They need something new and fresh to take hold and catch on much like The Cosby Show did for them in the early 80's.

OliveAnn

michelle
Aren't Corday and company partly to blame? Maybe they should have made a 30 second promo instead of that really long one? At least that one would possibly have aired and maybe attracted viewers.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

I'm sure they knew they weren't getting a promo spot. I don't think they screwed up and made the promo too long. If they'd gotten a spot during the Olympics, they'd have made a shorter promo.

michelle
Member Avatar

OliveAnn
Aug 9 2012, 11:11 AM
michelle
Aren't Corday and company partly to blame? Maybe they should have made a 30 second promo instead of that really long one? At least that one would possibly have aired and maybe attracted viewers.
I believe this promo was for the fans of the show they have already, not to attract new ones.

It was something for us to look forward to once the Olympics were over, since we all have been waiting with baited breath since the cliff hanger.

michelle
Member Avatar

lysie
Aug 9 2012, 11:16 AM
I'm sure they knew they weren't getting a promo spot. I don't think they screwed up and made the promo too long. If they'd gotten a spot during the Olympics, they'd have made a shorter promo.
They totally knew it.

michelle
Member Avatar

DiMeraFan67
Aug 8 2012, 11:04 PM
michelle

This is all totally true...which you don't need me to say. But its exactly everything that I've ever heard. They don't really eat the cost, because the cost isn't truly there. They set the market for the cost so they're not losing anything...they just aren't gaining the money they could be in that spot. Also with the price of Olympic spots right now because of the super high ratings they would never run a promo that long. And running it once almost seems not worth it. I would expect them to make a 15-18 second promo with saying go to nbc.com/days (whatever the DAYS official website is) for an extended look. I think they should run that once a night at least during the Olympics, but they don't care about DAYS enough and that network needs every penny they can get.
You put that better than I did. I should have said "eat" the potential profits they could have made on those slots.

I question how much more profit the show could make if their ratings went up a point or two higher. I still don't think the concern (at NBC) is daytime tv right now. I think NBC is bleeding profusely from loss of viewers/ratings/dollars in Primetime (before the Olympics) and that is their primary focus, period. Once they get their ducks in a row on that front, they may start to care more about daytime ratings. I could be totally wrong, however.

lysie
Member Avatar

michelle
Aug 9 2012, 02:01 PM
OliveAnn
Aug 9 2012, 11:11 AM
michelle
I believe this promo was for the fans of the show they have already, not to attract new ones.

It was something for us to look forward to once the Olympics were over, since we all have been waiting with baited breath since the cliff hanger.

All of us haven't been.

michelle
Member Avatar

If you couldn't detect sarcasm in this post, I question if you know me at all.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply