Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ratings for Week of September 3-7, 2012
Topic Started: Sep 14 2012, 05:28 PM (3,922 Views)
Fafokahw
Member Avatar

Days deserves these atrocious ratings, I basically only watch edits because the show as a whole is a travesty now. It's not worth me watching even on nbc.com anymore. Since Tomlin only cares about his darling pets this show is gone in 2 years mark my words.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Sonny_BrendaFan
Member Avatar
SnB Fan

I don't think it's a coincidence that since Rafe and Dan have been feature pretty much EVERY FUCKING DAY the ratings have tank. I have a right to my opinion and I'm sticking to this. The constant pimping of both these useless characters have push me to my limit. Days just lost another viewer -113,001...
Edited by Sonny_BrendaFan, Sep 15 2012, 10:17 AM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

I don't like Daniel and I don't like Rafe, but I don't think they're the problem. When something actually happens, Days' ratings almost always respond by going up. Once the stunt is over, we go back to this. That's true regardless of what characters are involved.

Sonny_BrendaFan
Member Avatar
SnB Fan

lysie
Sep 15 2012, 10:27 AM
I don't like Daniel and I don't like Rafe, but I don't think they're the problem. When something actually happens, Days' ratings almost always respond by going up. Once the stunt is over, we go back to this. That's true regardless of what characters are involved.
I can agree with this. Days dosent stand a chance then. I don't even watch for my two favorites anymore.

Cupcake06

Ej_SamiFF
Sep 14 2012, 05:52 PM
Ha ha ha ha that's what the Rafe show gets ya days....
TFP
Ratings were considered good when Rafe was one of the idiots front and center or whatever years ago though.Same for Carly and Melanie. They were also right there when ratings have sucked. So.....

That isn't it.

crazy4sc

magicsteacher
Sep 15 2012, 09:06 AM
Ej_SamiFF
TFP
Oh for fuck sakes-not the old one character/ one couple is ruining the show argument again. For the gazillionth time, one actor or couple does not make or break a show no matter how you hate or love them.
Well for me it is true.....I have flip-flopped for over 30 yrs between Gh & Days by who was front & center. I only watch character & couples not story. I will not watch when a character I hate is focused all the time. :shrug: I have even watched a soap I new nothing about when both Gh & Days had ones on I don't watch. I watch to enjoy a soap & if not I find something I do . I will be sad if soaps go but if they don't rotate the charters it's on them. People get tried of the same ole. :shame:

lysie
Member Avatar

Actually, with the demos being this low maybe we'll get a new regime sooner rather than later!

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

magicsteacher
Sep 15 2012, 09:06 AM
Oh for fuck sakes-not the old one character/ one couple is ruining the show argument again. For the gazillionth time, one actor or couple does not make or break a show no matter how you hate or love them.
Word.

At the same time, I think it would be awesome if people jumped in to claim responsibility for a ratings decrease the same way they jump in to claim credit for an increase.

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

Cupcake06
Sep 15 2012, 11:17 AM
Ej_SamiFF
TFP
Ratings were considered good when Rafe was one of the idiots front and center or whatever years ago though.Same for Carly and Melanie. They were also right there when ratings have sucked. So.....

That isn't it.

To me it's a combination of piss poor writing and overuse of certain characters. It also doesn't help when fan favorites are fired and universally hated couples are put back together despite fans' wishes. I frankly don't care how low the ratings get. If the low ratings help Tomlin to get shit-canned for a second time than all the better.

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

lysie
Thank you. That is what I was trying to say; you said it better and it is absolutely the truth.

AHM

magicsteacher
Sep 15 2012, 04:15 PM
lysie
Thank you. That is what I was trying to say; you said it better and it is absolutely the truth.
I think it's a combination, but I think substance-free/generic characters having so much focus is a big part of it, and I absolutely think Rafe and Dan do hurt this show by being placed in lead spots. If I don't care about the characters, I don't care about the story either---not with soap opera's five days a week, hour long format anyway. With a movie, I can go for a story, even if the characters are weak, but I won't hang on with serialized drama if I don't care about the characters. I can only speak for myself, though I imagine I'm not alone there. But I think the most detrimental thing to Days is the cheap, shallow romance. Romance matters, and it needs to be romance that gets the audience invested. Days has got too much crap romance (and the shallow characters contribute to that). I think the show could have really dug and done something great with what was there for Jack and Jennifer, but the show opted for Dan/Jen. I think they could really take EJ/Sami somewhere, but I think five years of waffling there is going to hurt no matter what from here on out, and it seems they will keep trying to play all of Sami's fanbases, rather than just choose a guy (Lucas or EJ---I'd say Rafe is a loss, even if they do just choose) and write a romance, a good one, with internal conflict and obstacles. They've pulled insta-love on almost every current romance on the show. Maybe they'll play the Eric/Nicole thing smart. I have little hope on the Nick/Gabi front, but at least there's potential. Abby still has potential for a good romance, but I don't think so if the romance involves Chad or Cameron. They need to build some characters and build some romances. The problem is, the show needs strong characters in strong stories to hold viewers while new characters are built so that they can move into good romances. But there's nothing strong on Days and not a single good love story, and I think it's pretty hard to wring a good love story out of characters who have already been passed around again and again from shoddy romance to shoddy romance. Sadly, even Nicole's in that boat, but I think she could still manage something, as they've never tried to sell any of her romances as great loves, and she's always been a loser in love.

reagon

LanaluvsBroe
Sep 15 2012, 01:41 PM
Cupcake06
Ej_SamiFF
TFP

That isn't it.

To me it's a combination of piss poor writing and overuse of certain characters. It also doesn't help when fan favorites are fired and universally hated couples are put back together despite fans' wishes. I frankly don't care how low the ratings get. If the low ratings help Tomlin to get shit-canned for a second time than all the better.

Except no one seems to blame characters that are liked on this board who are also overexposed like EJ and Nicole. Listen I hate Sami with a passion and I think the character is a bore now and needs at least a 1 year vacation but I wont blame her for the crappy ratings. Ratings were in the toilet early in the year with John, Hope in that awful story and they are faves and were in the toilet with Will and EJ front and center and they are claimed to be loved also. I think people want good story first and secondary is featuring characters they are interested in and frankly a good writer can make mediocre actors and flat characters more interesting. Douglas Marland and Bill Bell both made many actors better than they were with good material.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

I would totally and completely blame SAMI BRADY! Since 07 most of the focus has been on her life. If AS wants 3 men for Sami and wants to be the focus, then she should be held accountable for the ratings. Sure the writings not great, but everyone has to deal with the writing.

lysie
Member Avatar

reagon
Sep 15 2012, 07:21 PM
LanaluvsBroe
Cupcake06
Ej_SamiFF
TFP

That isn't it.

Except no one seems to blame characters that are liked on this board who are also overexposed like EJ and Nicole. Listen I hate Sami with a passion and I think the character is a bore now and needs at least a 1 year vacation but I wont blame her for the crappy ratings. Ratings were in the toilet early in the year with John, Hope in that awful story and they are faves and were in the toilet with Will and EJ front and center and they are claimed to be loved also. I think people want good story first and secondary is featuring characters they are interested in and frankly a good writer can make mediocre actors and flat characters more interesting. Douglas Marland and Bill Bell both made many actors better than they were with good material.
I've definitely done my share of complaining about EJ, and I'm starting to complain about Nicole. There were complaints about John and Hope earlier in the year, too, but it's a little difficult to complain about their overexposure, since that was just one story, and one of them had been offscreen for almost three years.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

I absolutely agree that no one character or pairing will make or break the ratings - but the overexposure of some (and I include my favorites in that) has a negative impact unless the writing/story is solid. As much as I hated Dena Higley I did stay engaged throughout the 2008/2009 baby switch storyline because it was compelling. There were definite dead spaces in there but for the most part the story built at a pace that made sense and the combination of some good writing and some really good performances worked. And the ratings reflected it.

But what we have now appears to be an almost instantaneous return to stories that Tomlin oversaw and overplayed just 2 years ago - and those ratings were shit. Yet...here we are again. The break neck speed at which he threw the brakes on basically everything that had been building or was already in place to revert back to what are clearly his preferences is both jarring and frustrating. And it would seem the plunge in the ratings is reflecting that, too.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

AHM

reagon
Sep 15 2012, 07:21 PM
LanaluvsBroe
Cupcake06
Ej_SamiFF
TFP

That isn't it.

I think you have to have both good characters and a good story. Personally though, I'll usually watch a character I love, even if the story is sub par, unless the character is no longer much like the character I once loved (as with podJennifer). Oh, and I have no attachment to EJ or Sami, but I think they're probably a big selling point to what's left of the audience, though If the show hadn't hung almost everything on the characters of Sami and EJ, maybe there would be more of what's left of the audience. Even Nicole I could take or leave. I think she's better than most of the current characters on the canvas, but I don't think, when comparing her to a similar type character, that she holds a candle to Eve Donovan.
Edited by AHM, Sep 16 2012, 01:35 AM.

Evan
Member Avatar

A lot is riding on the returns of Kristen & Eric - will those two actors bring over their fanbases from their previous soaps?
That I think is the acid test for whether or not Tomlin & the other guy remain as headwriters past early 2013.
And hey, I'm happy to blame Rafe and Daniel for the decline in ratings - I dislike both characters, and it's beyond me why NBC thinks those two are the greatest things since sliced bread, ditto for Ali Sweeney too.

Kali
Member Avatar

Has this article been discussed? I found it interesting, especially as an Ejami fan who's ditched Days after this most recent bait and switch (scroll down to "Why Won’t “Days of Our Lives” Give EJami a Chance?"):

http://xfinity.comcast.net/blogs/tv/2012/09/14/deep-soap-genie-francis-marcy-rylan-fired-from-yr/

lysie
Member Avatar

We don't normally discuss articles like that here, but if y'all can do it without fighting, you're free to.

reagon

Evan
Sep 16 2012, 08:27 AM
A lot is riding on the returns of Kristen & Eric - will those two actors bring over their fanbases from their previous soaps?
That I think is the acid test for whether or not Tomlin & the other guy remain as headwriters past early 2013.
And hey, I'm happy to blame Rafe and Daniel for the decline in ratings - I dislike both characters, and it's beyond me why NBC thinks those two are the greatest things since sliced bread, ditto for Ali Sweeney too.
There isn't any actor out there thats going to matter. Y&R spent the last 3 years bringing in named soap vet one after the other with what result? And if Greg Vaughn has 10,000 fans(I love the guy) and they all by chance start watching Days what difference will it make. This show brought back Marlena, John, and Jack and it didn't make a difference in the long run in terms of ratings. Shows need to stop casting names with the idea they are going to themselves bump up ratings. They won't. James Franco, a popular actor, actually had a negative impact on GH. And they threw him into a story with their so called most popular character.

I don't get the big deal with Rafe or Daniel or Sami but I also don't get the big deal with EJ, Nicole or Will or Melanie or Jennifer. There isn't anyone in this cast who is must see TV, although I'll probably tune in to watch Peter Reckell only because I don't believe I'll ever see Bo again.
Edited by reagon, Sep 16 2012, 12:21 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply