Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ratings for Week of September 3-7, 2012
Topic Started: Sep 14 2012, 05:28 PM (4,050 Views)
bomber
Member Avatar

reagon
Sep 16 2012, 12:17 PM
Evan
Sep 16 2012, 08:27 AM
A lot is riding on the returns of Kristen & Eric - will those two actors bring over their fanbases from their previous soaps?
That I think is the acid test for whether or not Tomlin & the other guy remain as headwriters past early 2013.
And hey, I'm happy to blame Rafe and Daniel for the decline in ratings - I dislike both characters, and it's beyond me why NBC thinks those two are the greatest things since sliced bread, ditto for Ali Sweeney too.
There isn't any actor out there thats going to matter. Y&R spent the last 3 years bringing in named soap vet one after the other with what result? And if Greg Vaughn has 10,000 fans(I love the guy) and they all by chance start watching Days what difference will it make. This show brought back Marlena, John, and Jack and it didn't make a difference in the long run in terms of ratings. Shows need to stop casting names with the idea they are going to themselves bump up ratings. They won't. James Franco, a popular actor, actually had a negative impact on GH. And they threw him into a story with their so called most popular character.

I don't get the big deal with Rafe or Daniel or Sami but I also don't get the big deal with EJ, Nicole or Will or Melanie or Jennifer. There isn't anyone in this cast who is must see TV, although I'll probably tune in to watch Peter Reckell only because I don't believe I'll ever see Bo again.
But if these big name actors got a well written story from start to finish the ratings might improve. Days brought back those vets but kept the story focussed on Sami's never ending dramas. If Marlena and John had been given a major s/l and Jack's PTSD had been properly explored, instead of dropped because he was making Jen/Dan look bad then they might have made a difference. Basically you need actors and writers. At least it sounds like they might actually have a storyline figured out for ED and the DH's so who knows? It just remains to be seen how many fans are left to bother watching, especially if the next three weeks are going to be more of the Safe, Dannifer, Melanie show.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ElvisDiMera
Member Avatar

Square pegs/round holes.

Very simple really.

More writers trying to force what just doesn't work over and over again.

No thanks is what the viewers say over and over again.

Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

reagon

bomber
Sep 16 2012, 02:13 PM
reagon
Sep 16 2012, 12:17 PM
Evan
A lot is riding on the returns of Kristen & Eric - will those two actors bring over their fanbases from their previous soaps?
That I think is the acid test for whether or not Tomlin & the other guy remain as headwriters past early 2013.
And hey, I'm happy to blame Rafe and Daniel for the decline in ratings - I dislike both characters, and it's beyond me why NBC thinks those two are the greatest things since sliced bread, ditto for Ali Sweeney too.
There isn't any actor out there thats going to matter. Y&R spent the last 3 years bringing in named soap vet one after the other with what result? And if Greg Vaughn has 10,000 fans(I love the guy) and they all by chance start watching Days what difference will it make. This show brought back Marlena, John, and Jack and it didn't make a difference in the long run in terms of ratings. Shows need to stop casting names with the idea they are going to themselves bump up ratings. They won't. James Franco, a popular actor, actually had a negative impact on GH. And they threw him into a story with their so called most popular character.

I don't get the big deal with Rafe or Daniel or Sami but I also don't get the big deal with EJ, Nicole or Will or Melanie or Jennifer. There isn't anyone in this cast who is must see TV, although I'll probably tune in to watch Peter Reckell only because I don't believe I'll ever see Bo again.
But if these big name actors got a well written story from start to finish the ratings might improve. Days brought back those vets but kept the story focussed on Sami's never ending dramas. If Marlena and John had been given a major s/l and Jack's PTSD had been properly explored, instead of dropped because he was making Jen/Dan look bad then they might have made a difference. Basically you need actors and writers. At least it sounds like they might actually have a storyline figured out for ED and the DH's so who knows? It just remains to be seen how many fans are left to bother watching, especially if the next three weeks are going to be more of the Safe, Dannifer, Melanie show.
Marlena and John came back to a front burner story last year. Jacks return was
Promoted. For me it all comes back to the same thing writing. Why didn't the ratings drop last time John and Marlena left? Becuase the show was building up a couple of stories the audience was interested in. know most on this board hate Melanie and Daniel but the Parker paternity stuff Nd Phillips cheating was at least built up and had some plateaus throughout the story to keep people interested. Im just down on returns or bringining in names because none of the shows really expend any effort on story and tend to rely on the name to bring interest not the story.

Evan
Member Avatar

I've got zero confidence that Tomlin will write anything decent for ED, other than Kristen competing with Marlena for John(which I doubt would spark the ratings).
I guess with Greg Vaughan, we'll see a lot of him with his shirt off LOL

The problem with DAYS is the return to Safe and Dannifer - both suck.

Cerulean
Member Avatar

AHM
Sep 15 2012, 06:19 PM
magicsteacher
Sep 15 2012, 04:15 PM
lysie
Sep 15 2012, 10:27 AM
I don't like Daniel and I don't like Rafe, but I don't think they're the problem. When something actually happens, Days' ratings almost always respond by going up. Once the stunt is over, we go back to this. That's true regardless of what characters are involved.
Thank you. That is what I was trying to say; you said it better and it is absolutely the truth.
I think it's a combination, but I think substance-free/generic characters having so much focus is a big part of it, and I absolutely think Rafe and Dan do hurt this show by being placed in lead spots. If I don't care about the characters, I don't care about the story either---not with soap opera's five days a week, hour long format anyway. With a movie, I can go for a story, even if the characters are weak, but I won't hang on with serialized drama if I don't care about the characters. I can only speak for myself, though I imagine I'm not alone there. But I think the most detrimental thing to Days is the cheap, shallow romance. Romance matters, and it needs to be romance that gets the audience invested. Days has got too much crap romance (and the shallow characters contribute to that). I think the show could have really dug and done something great with what was there for Jack and Jennifer, but the show opted for Dan/Jen. I think they could really take EJ/Sami somewhere, but I think five years of waffling there is going to hurt no matter what from here on out, and it seems they will keep trying to play all of Sami's fanbases, rather than just choose a guy (Lucas or EJ---I'd say Rafe is a loss, even if they do just choose) and write a romance, a good one, with internal conflict and obstacles. They've pulled insta-love on almost every current romance on the show. Maybe they'll play the Eric/Nicole thing smart. I have little hope on the Nick/Gabi front, but at least there's potential. Abby still has potential for a good romance, but I don't think so if the romance involves Chad or Cameron. They need to build some characters and build some romances. The problem is, the show needs strong characters in strong stories to hold viewers while new characters are built so that they can move into good romances. But there's nothing strong on Days and not a single good love story, and I think it's pretty hard to wring a good love story out of characters who have already been passed around again and again from shoddy romance to shoddy romance. Sadly, even Nicole's in that boat, but I think she could still manage something, as they've never tried to sell any of her romances as great loves, and she's always been a loser in love.
Totally agree with your post. As haphazard as MarDar's writing was, I had stuck with it because I was recognizing and enjoying Salem again. I even sat through couples that bored me silly like Safe because the dynamic was new and character-based. Now it's the exact same shit as 2010, told in the exact same way. I had been trying to hang onto until GV's arrival, but last few weeks plus spoilers have undermined that ambition, and with TomSell's cookie cutter writing, the likelihood of Eric's story rising above is anorexic at best. :drunk:

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

Evan
It's doesn't matter who they bring back, if the writing is crap, the ratings will reflect that. I have zero faith that Tomlin will write anything remotely decent for Kristin or Eric.

3WishGenie
Member Avatar

I'm interested to see how the ratings will fare with GH's new timeslot over time. they seem to be doing better after the switch...

RorysRainfall

:omg:
Edited by RorysRainfall, Sep 22 2012, 05:37 PM.

Dee-anne

Evan
I blame Sami. it has now become the Sami show. Sami and her three men.

They should put her in a coma for a year.

They feature the terrible trinagle EJ/Sami/Rafe too much. This triangle has a cobination of things wrong with it. bad acting and terrible writing.
Edited by Dee-anne, Sep 22 2012, 06:57 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply