Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Best Soap Operas Of All Time: ABC and People Magazine Reveal Top 5
Topic Started: Sep 19 2012, 08:03 AM (3,401 Views)
WillFan
Member Avatar

5. DARK SHADOWS
4. THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS
3. DAYS OF OUR LIVES
2. ALL MY CHILDREN
1. GENERAL HOSPITAL

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2012/09/best-soap-operas-of-all-time-abc-and.html#more
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Manny
Member Avatar

Dark Shadows?!

Why no GL?

blueskies
Member Avatar

I just gonna say it, where the heck is Passions on this list? Lol (okay so I know it's not #1 for everyone else).

And could someone explain GH as #1? Perhaps I just don't understand because I've never watched more than an eppi.

somersetfan
Member Avatar

No surprise. Pop culture wise these are the best known soaps. Still, it does my heart good to see that after 41 years of being off the air Dark Shadows still makes the list. Julia Hoffman FOREVER :wub2:

Tash
Member Avatar

Guiding Light should be on there for sure!

darraholic
Member Avatar

I think this is more based on pop culture than actual writing/acting etc...

GH/AMC/DAYS/Y&R were always the big four. They got most of the magazine front covers and got the most media attention outside of Daytime. And Dark Shadows is without a doubt the most remembered canceled soap opera.

taylore
Member Avatar

The Bold and The Beautiful is the best known soap,then comes Y&R.GH doesn't deserve the number one spot.

OliveAnn

taylore
Sep 19 2012, 09:52 AM
The Bold and The Beautiful is the best known soap,then comes Y&R.GH doesn't deserve the number one spot.
B&B is the best known soap outside of the USA. But, in the US, Y&R, Days, AMC and GH are more known.

EJ_SamiFF
Member Avatar

Glad to see GH as #1. That's the only soap I grew up watching with my mom and grandmom. Best soap IMO follow by AMC and OLTL.

Lucky
Member Avatar
Rafe proves EJ is a little bitch

I think GH deserves the #1 spot as well.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

OliveAnn
Sep 19 2012, 10:29 AM
taylore
Sep 19 2012, 09:52 AM
B&B is the best known soap outside of the USA. But, in the US, Y&R, Days, AMC and GH are more known.
Not in Canada...B&B is one of the least popular soaps and always has been (except in Quebec, where the french-dubbed show Top Modeles is pretty popular). OLTL and AMC also were never popular and were always two of the lowest rated shows in daytime up here (along with B&B). All 3 soaps have come and gone off the air (on CDN networks) a few times here due to low ratings.

Y&R and DAYS are heads and tails the most popular soaps in Canada, and always have been.
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Sep 19 2012, 11:22 AM.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Oh and I am just gonna say it...but Dark Shadows being in the Top 5 is BULLSHIT

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

somersetfan
Sep 19 2012, 09:30 AM
No surprise. Pop culture wise these are the best known soaps. Still, it does my heart good to see that after 41 years of being off the air Dark Shadows still makes the list. Julia Hoffman FOREVER :wub2:
Except, it's ANGELIQUE forever! :jedi:

Checkers
Member Avatar

Pop Culture wise this list makes the most sense.

Edited by Checkers, Sep 19 2012, 11:45 AM.

somersetfan
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Sep 19 2012, 11:18 AM
Y&R and DAYS are heads and tails the most popular soaps in Canada, and always have been.
Both Another World and Texas were immensely popular as well. During the L&L heyday it was Iris Cory Wheeler not the Ice Princess Canadians wanted to watch. AW was popular right up till the end.

A little novelty song that always makes me LOL

Manny
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Sep 19 2012, 11:23 AM
I agree. I bet if Tim Burton hadn't done the movie this year, it wouldn't have been on this list.

Nate
Member Avatar

I was watching this a little before I went to bed last night cuz my parents were watching it and I was wondering if they had soaps. Congrats to GH!!!!! :D

Tammy
Member Avatar

Sorry, but, IMO OLTL was waaay better then AMC!

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Manny
Sep 19 2012, 12:00 PM
Mitchapalooza
I agree. I bet if Tim Burton hadn't done the movie this year, it wouldn't have been on this list.
I'm trying to find Guiding Light's remakes, movies, comics, audio dramas, toys, and conventions but all I could find was a TV movie of the week. :P
Edited by Drew, Sep 19 2012, 08:26 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Drew
Sep 19 2012, 08:22 PM
Manny
Sep 19 2012, 12:00 PM
Mitchapalooza
I'm trying to find Guiding Light's remakes, movies, comics, audio dramas, toys, and conventions but all I could find was a TV movie of the week. :P
How could you forget Harley the superhero? Automatically beats anything Dark Shadows ever did. And no, I won't buy you a box of tissues for your tears of shame! :shame:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply