Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Best Soap Operas Of All Time: ABC and People Magazine Reveal Top 5
Topic Started: Sep 19 2012, 08:03 AM (3,308 Views)
Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Marvel sucks, which is why they would team with Guiding Light?

Harley the super hero was an abomination.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

If we're going for Quality:

1. The Young and the Restless
2. As The World Turns
3. Another World
4. Santa Barbara
5. All My Children

If we're going for Iconic:

1. General Hospital
2. Days of our Lives
3. All My Children
4. The Young and the Restless
5. Dark Shadows

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

juniorz1
Sep 19 2012, 09:58 PM

2. As The World Turns
3. Another World
4. Santa Barbara
5. All My Children
Anyone that doesn't have The Edge of Night as number one for quality is wrong.

Dorothy595
Member Avatar

taylore
Sep 19 2012, 09:52 AM
The Bold and The Beautiful is the best known soap,then comes Y&R.GH doesn't deserve the number one spot.
But it said of all time and GH was really, really good in it's heyday with the Scorpios, Sean and Tiff, and all the spy storylines. Way back when it was one of the best if not THE best on the air.

Then came Days and I switched. ;)

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

somersetfan
Sep 19 2012, 11:50 AM
Mitchapalooza
Sep 19 2012, 11:18 AM
Y&R and DAYS are heads and tails the most popular soaps in Canada, and always have been.
Both Another World and Texas were immensely popular as well. During the L&L heyday it was Iris Cory Wheeler not the Ice Princess Canadians wanted to watch. AW was popular right up till the end.

A little novelty song that always makes me LOL

This is very true...AW was VERY popular here (I am not sure about TEXAS though, never heard that before).

ATWT also was high up there....PASSIONS was also very popular.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

juniorz1

2. As The World Turns
3. Another World
4. Santa Barbara
5. All My Children

1. General Hospital
2. Days of our Lives
3. All My Children
5. Dark Shadows
That really is more of a question of what people define as "quality"...cause I certainly do not agree with your Top 5.

Also Dark Shadows was not iconic IMO...had Tim Burton not made a movie about it...there is not a chance in hell it would have made the list.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

I'm a die hard Days fan. But with Luke and Laura alone, GH deserves the top spot. Also, AMC deserves it over OLTL with Erica Kane alone..Minus Dark Shadows, I think it's a good list.

Drew
Member Avatar
#bbuk

Tim Burton was not the only person to make a Dark Shadows movie.

Dreamy
Member Avatar

IMO - GH doesn't deserve #1. I mean its popular, but for sure not #1.

WTGH
Member Avatar
Bitch!

ATWT 4 EVER!!!

Queen B
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Sep 19 2012, 11:18 AM
OliveAnn
Sep 19 2012, 10:29 AM
taylore
Sep 19 2012, 09:52 AM
The Bold and The Beautiful is the best known soap,then comes Y&R.GH doesn't deserve the number one spot.
B&B is the best known soap outside of the USA. But, in the US, Y&R, Days, AMC and GH are more known.
Not in Canada...B&B is one of the least popular soaps and always has been (except in Quebec, where the french-dubbed show Top Modeles is pretty popular). OLTL and AMC also were never popular and were always two of the lowest rated shows in daytime up here (along with B&B). All 3 soaps have come and gone off the air (on CDN networks) a few times here due to low ratings.

Y&R and DAYS are heads and tails the most popular soaps in Canada, and always have been.
Funny, becausei i'm Canadian and the only two soaps i've ever watched has always been DOOL and Y&R :laugh: then ofcourse theres Passions, and I watched the whole run of that show from 1999-2008 but I wouldn't count that.

Dreamy
Member Avatar

Yep, DAYS & Y&R are on top here in Canada!

Manny
Member Avatar

B&B is the most popular soap outside of North American continent. I know it was huge in Germany (I used to watch it on a German TV channel) and in Italy. I think I read that it's also popular in Australia...

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

Bright Eyes
Sep 19 2012, 10:03 PM
juniorz1

2. As The World Turns
3. Another World
4. Santa Barbara
5. All My Children
Anyone that doesn't have The Edge of Night as number one for quality is wrong.
I was speaking from the point of view of someone who started watching in 1982 and even then, I only watched DAYS, Another World, and Texas.

In my lifetime, the 5 shows I listed gave me the highest quality entertainment. I LOVED DAYS in the 80s, 90s, and even some of the 00s, but the other 5 shows were better and more consistent imo.

My mom was a HUGE Edge of Night fan and The Doctors fan. Her list would probably look more like this (and she watched since '66):

1. Days of our Lives
2. Another World
3. The Doctors
4. Edge of Night
5. Santa Barbara

Edge of Night (and to a lesser degree, All My Children and General Hospital) was the only non-NBC soap she ever watched. I did almost get her hooked on B&B after SB went off the air, but she lost interest when I was back in school.

juniorz1
Member Avatar
The Royal Stoner

Mitchapalooza
Sep 20 2012, 01:15 AM
juniorz1

2. As The World Turns
3. Another World
4. Santa Barbara
5. All My Children

1. General Hospital
2. Days of our Lives
3. All My Children
5. Dark Shadows
That really is more of a question of what people define as "quality"...cause I certainly do not agree with your Top 5.

Also Dark Shadows was not iconic IMO...had Tim Burton not made a movie about it...there is not a chance in hell it would have made the list.
I was speaking as a matter of personal taste- soaps, like most things, are subjective. My list may look differently had I been alive and watched in the 60s and 70s. I have a feeling I would have been into Search For Tomorrow, Another World and As The World Turns A LOT more had I watched in the 70s. And certainly my list would look differently had I watched the CBS or ABC soaps in the 80s (I watched a little bit of GH & OLTL in the mid to late 80s).

I disagree with you about Dark Shadows though. It's always had a substantial cult following and was the first soap to be re-aired I believe. It's an iconic show and would have been in the top 5 with or without Tim Burton imo.

Vetting4fun

I'm buying Dark Shadows now, pretty hokey and poor acting but a classic. I agree.

Vetting4fun

The movie by Tim Burton was a rip off of Dark Shadows. It was like the spoof movies of soaps

darraholic
Member Avatar
Pennsatucky

Never under estimate the Dark Shadows fan base. It is huge!

I wonder how this list would change if British/Australian soaps were included.

OliveAnn

darraholic
Sep 23 2012, 11:41 AM
Never under estimate the Dark Shadows fan base. It is huge!

I wonder how this list would change if British/Australian soaps were included.
Only Americans could vote, so it wouldn't change. Now, if it had been a worldwide vote with all the world's soaps included, then things would be different.

Kevin_Buchanan
Member Avatar

BULLSHIT! One Life To Live should be at least #2!!! As The World Turns also should be in there as well. GH should NOT be #1 thanks to the last 15 years!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply