Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
September 10-14 2012 Ratings; All Soaps Down
Topic Started: Sep 21 2012, 05:40 PM (4,530 Views)
Chelsea
Member Avatar

I don't want to see Days get cancelled, I want to see it get better. The only good thing Days has going for it is Sonny and Wilson the rest of the show blows. Wish tptb would stop focusing on characters and storylines a lot of people care nothing about, sadly with Tomlin there I don't see that happening.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Queen B
Member Avatar

Y&R and DOOL absolutely deserve these ratings. I don't feel sad at all, infact I think its hilarious.

Y&R still has a chance to win back some viewers and recover from MAB's awful writing when these new writers come in and take charge but DOOL is skrewed. I'm sure we'll hear about its cancellation by early next year, and I wouldn't care less. Lost all faith in that show

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

DAYS ratings decline is as predictable a Tomlin's biases and storytelling. Go figure.

Fafokahw
Member Avatar

I tuned out after Daysaster as I suspect many did what I did once we realized Tomlin was going to take this show straight to gutter ratings wise. I think the last show I cared about was Jack's horridly written memorial. I've watched edits of clips from that point on. The Days of our Rafe show is a ratings bomb, and with my favorite supercouple about to be split in four weeks, I'm thisclose to no longer watching. If Ari Z and Kristian were gone I'd be gone right along with them they are probably the only reason I'm hanging in there. The show doesn't bother to show my other faves like Dee, Drake enough and I'm afraid even Eileen and Greg can't save this piece of garbage.
Edited by Fafokahw, Sep 22 2012, 09:30 PM.

gailwinters
Member Avatar

The show really has become The Days of Rafe......everyone who thought EJ was featured too much can now rest easy, because Rafe has taken his place. He's in a story with Sami, he's in a story with Nicole, he has a story with Gabi, he has a story with EJ, he's had scenes with Lucas, Brady, Kate. He's been on almost every day.......and the more he's on, the more viewers tune out. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

gailwinters
Sep 23 2012, 06:42 AM
The show really has become The Days of Rafe......everyone who thought EJ was featured too much can now rest easy, because Rafe has taken his place. He's in a story with Sami, he's in a story with Nicole, he has a story with Gabi, he has a story with EJ, he's had scenes with Lucas, Brady, Kate. He's been on almost every day.......and the more he's on, the more viewers tune out. Coincidence? I don't think so.
not really if it rafe show it still ej more ej show
ej was that week feature the most he was everyday in that week

and they stuff about rafe apply to ej too He's in a story with Sami, he's in a story with Nicole, he will have story with Gabi since will have blackmail rafe of what gabi did , he has a story with rafe he's had scenes with Lucas, , Kate,chad ,mealnie hope and
he was been in will story that his own father lucas
with Jennifer ,and Billie that they both sisters of lucas and since he came back to town he did not have scenes alone with them at all

nobody took ej place at best rafe sharing the spot with him

its more ejrafesami show than anything although ej still feature more than sami and rafe

gailwinters
Member Avatar

Partnersincrime
Sep 23 2012, 07:51 AM
gailwinters

and they stuff about rafe apply to ej too He's in a story with Sami, he's in a story with Nicole, he will have story with Gabi since will have blackmail rafe of what gabi did , he has a story with rafe he's had scenes with Lucas, , Kate,chad ,mealnie hope and
with Jennifer ,and Billie that they both sisters of lucas and since he came back to town he did not have scenes alone with them at all

its more ejrafesami show than anything although ej still feature more than sami and rafe
How many scenes has EJ had with Nicole? He may be tangentially involved in her story, but he's not talking to her....Rafe has the scenes. How many scenes do you think EJ will have with Gabi? I predict zero. Again, he may be in the story, but I'll bet he won't be physically present. Meanwhile, Rafe is everywhere.

Just to clarify, I am talking about the scenes since the CH.

Cerulean
Member Avatar

Can someone explain to me how flipping the calendar back to Safe is going to help Days earn a renewal, because when I looked up the numbers I became even further confused? :drunk:

Thanksgiving week 2010 (Safe's wedding, interrupted by EJole taking custody of Johnny & Sidney) - HHs: 1.8 - 18-49: 0.9 - 18-34: 0.7

Thanksgiving week 2011 (EJami grief sex) - HHs: 1.9; 18-49: 1.1; 18-34: 0.8

A month later, during the week after Christmas (which is traditionally highest rated of year and included Safe renewing their wedding vows at HTS), 18-49 had fallen 0.2 to 0.9, and 18-34 had plunged 0.3 to a dismal 0.5.

If TomSell are dead set against EJami, that's one thing, but this unbending determination to play it Safe is another. Where are Sony and NBC in all of this? They cannot be pleased with how quickly the new/old team squandered all the momentum gained by the Olympic cliffhanger. :badmood:

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Cerulean
Sep 23 2012, 09:13 AM
Can someone explain to me how flipping the calendar back to Safe is going to help Days earn a renewal, because when I looked up the numbers I became even further confused? :drunk:

Thanksgiving week 2010 (Safe's wedding, interrupted by EJole taking custody of Johnny & Sidney) - HHs: 1.8 - 18-49: 0.9 - 18-34: 0.7

A month later, during the week after Christmas (which is traditionally highest rated of year and included Safe renewing their wedding vows at HTS), 18-49 had fallen 0.2 to 0.9, and 18-34 had plunged 0.3 to a dismal 0.5.

If TomSell are dead set against EJami, that's one thing, but this unbending determination to play it Safe is another. Where are Sony and NBC in all of this? They cannot be pleased with how quickly the new/old team squandered all the momentum gained by the Olympic cliffhanger. :badmood:
Why didnt you go back another year to 09? Safe was on back then too?

I found it:

NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEK OF NOVEMBER 23-NOVEMBER 27, 2009
3. Days of Our Lives NBC 2.2/07

DAYS has been getting 1.7s- 1.9 all last year. Beastsex wasnt a watershed event. DAYS did get 1.9 before it happen:

NIELSEN RATINGS: WEEK OF SEPTEMBER 26-SEPTEMBER 30, 2011
3. Days of Our Lives NBC 1.9/06

I dont care for SAFE and at this point I barely care for DAYS, but if you're going to say that EJ and Sami being together was some kind of ratings juggernaut, then the proof is not there. How about this past Spring and Summer? They were heavily featured, was it all 1.9s then?

(I checked that too...1.7s-1.9s...and a 1.6)

http://www.jason47.com/days/ratings2012.html

The ratings will fluctuate between those numbers because at this point, I dont think no one couple, event, return, is going to have a sustaining ratings impact. In fact the only year consistently at 2.0s was 2009 (and it wasnt a EJ and Sami year.) ;)

Cerulean
Member Avatar

Liz<3Days
Sep 23 2012, 09:39 AM
Cerulean

I found it:

DAYS has been getting 1.7s- 1.9 all last year. Beastsex wasnt a watershed event. DAYS did get 1.9 before it happen:

I dont care for SAFE and at this point I barely care for DAYS, but if you're going to say that EJ and Sami being together was some kind of ratings juggernaut, then the proof is not there. How about this past Spring and Summer? They were heavily featured, was it all 1.9s then?

The ratings will fluctuate between those numbers because at this point, I dont think no one couple, event, return, is going to have a sustaining ratings impact. In fact the only year consistently at 2.0s was 2009 (and it wasnt a EJ and Sami year.) ;)

Because EJ and Sami were in play too, along with Safe and EJole. EJ wasn't shown to be the Sydnapper until January 2010. Until then, anyone with any familiarity with soaps would assume that the parents would be reunited when their child was found. :shrug: EJami weren't heavily featured until July. I've seen lots of EJole avis and banners of all their sex scenes last year, and as an EJami fan, I wish they had seen at least a few of those in 2012. ;)

Edited by Cerulean, Sep 23 2012, 09:54 AM.

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

gailwinters
Sep 23 2012, 08:21 AM
Partnersincrime
Sep 23 2012, 07:51 AM
gailwinters

How many scenes has EJ had with Nicole? He may be tangentially involved in her story, but he's not talking to her....Rafe has the scenes. How many scenes do you think EJ will have with Gabi? I predict zero. Again, he may be in the story, but I'll bet he won't be physically present. Meanwhile, Rafe is everywhere.

Just to clarify, I am talking about the scenes since the CH.

first all what it ch?

is it since tomlin came back

nicole barly have scenes with ej while have tons with rafe its was mardr that way it will be easier to push on ej and sami

nicole been more on daniel orbit tha rafe since tomlin took over despite right now it seem rafe bit more than ej but seem tomlin slowly downsize them and while slowly grow more scenes with ej and nicole

and ej everywhere too just like rafe

ej in almost every stoy too

chad mealnie nick-ej advice to chad what to do with nick which seem to help chad lose it
sami-despite sami favor rafe over him it very much in the story and not going anytime soon
nicole-he not share lot scenes with nicole yet but he is pretty much is story and i still think down the line he have more scenes with nicole

rafe
nicole -share scenes with nicole but it seem the slowly downsize scenes with nicole
i sure with tomlin in charge rafe lot less scenes with nicole because its does not want to remind the viewers it fault nicole it that mess he said he the father of nicole baby and nicole did not asking him to do that to make nicole the bad gut that took advantage of generosity of rafe to her while he reunited with sami
sami -he very much in sami story
he may share 3 0r 4 scenes with gabi since tomlin came but most them all about rafe still love sami crap nothing about gabi story he proably will on gabi later but so does ej ej will be in kristen story too

ej is also blame just as rafe share scenes with characters that should share their scences with other characters before rafe or ej and be more in the storyline than ej or rafe
both ej and rafe sucks the airtime the storyline and life from the show while so many characters on show does not have storyline or barly have airtime

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

Cerulean
Sep 23 2012, 09:51 AM
Liz<3Days
Cerulean

I found it:

Because EJ and Sami were in play too, along with Safe and EJole. EJ wasn't shown to be the Sydnapper until January 2010. Until then, anyone with any familiarity with soaps would assume that the parents would be reunited when their child was found. :shrug:
and anyone with any familiarity with soaps would assume that ej will pay of bad stuff he done instead reward for it
just saying

Cerulean
Member Avatar

Partnersincrime
Sep 23 2012, 09:56 AM
Cerulean
Liz<3Days
Cerulean

I found it:

Because EJ and Sami were in play too, along with Safe and EJole. EJ wasn't shown to be the Sydnapper until January 2010. Until then, anyone with any familiarity with soaps would assume that the parents would be reunited when their child was found. :shrug:
and anyone with any familiarity with soaps would assume that ej will pay of bad stuff he done instead reward for it
just saying
Sami matches EJ tit for tat, so why are EJ and Nicole continually punished for their misdeeds, while Sami's are glossed over? :hmmph: I say this as viewer who likes all three. They're the reason I watch, or at least why I did watch.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Cerulean
Liz<3Days
Cerulean

I found it:

I disagree. EJole were the couple in love, SAFE were the couple in love. But it was a STORY...beginning, middle and end. People watched because it was entertaining. DAYS hasnt been entertaining in a long time.

If you want to go with familiarity, then no, soaps dont usually reunite a rapist with his victim. EJ and Sami didnt even like each other after they got Syd and right away their was suspicion surrounding EJ being the sydnapper.

You can say SAFE is boring, but at this point any couple is boring. Its all interchangeable. I few handshakes there, a couple of dresses and the "small purse" here, and presto, there you have the couple of the moment.

Cerulean
Member Avatar

Liz<3Days
Sep 23 2012, 10:03 AM
Cerulean
Liz<3Days
Cerulean

I found it:

I disagree. EJole were the couple in love, SAFE were the couple in love. But it was a STORY...beginning, middle and end. People watched because it was entertaining. DAYS hasnt been entertaining in a long time.

If you want to go with familiarity, then no, soaps dont usually reunite a rapist with his victim.
Days has many times. My mom was a huge fan of the Bill/Laura/Mickey triangle, and Sami and Austin have been reunited as lovers several times in my lifetime. Besides, if the audience was offended by EJ & Sami, the demos wouldn't jump up when they finally share screen time as romantic interests. :rolleyes:
Edited by Cerulean, Sep 23 2012, 10:30 AM.

Liz<3Days
Member Avatar

Cerulean
Sep 23 2012, 10:28 AM
Liz<3Days
Cerulean
Liz<3Days

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepNIELSEN RATINGS: WEEK OF NOVEMBER 23-NOVEMBER 27, 2009

If you want to go with familiarity, then no, soaps dont usually reunite a rapist with his victim.
Days has many times. My mom was a huge fan of the Bill/Laura/Mickey triangle, and Sami and Austin have been reunited as lovers several times in my lifetime. Besides, if the audience was offended by EJ & Sami, the demos wouldn't jump up when they finally share screen time as romantic interests. :rolleyes:
Thats twice, not "many times." Also, both those times had good stories. With the Bill/Laura SL, it was so well written and Bill suffered through a lot of turmoil all those years. I'm watching the old clips and I see why lots of people were/are fans...it was a good story written by one of the masters of soap writing, William Bell.

With Austin and Sami, she never got him. In the end, Carrie won out as how it should be. Sami was the villain in that trio and she never would win Austin. His heart will always be Carrie's.

The ZZZ EJ and Sami saga is written on toilet paper and has more holes then swiss cheese. No depth, no remorse, no growth, actually, it got worse after the rape, not better.

These redeemer/victim sl work when a writer takes care to craft a good story where not just the uberfans are going to like it. Most of the audience have to think its believable. That hasnt happened in a long time.

As for the ratings argument you make again, I have proven to you that no, EJ and Sami dont bring in consistent ratings, but you can think of however you want to think about the pairing you like. I just showed you the numbers. Agree to disagree...

Cerulean
Member Avatar

Liz<3Days
Sep 23 2012, 10:43 AM
Cerulean
Sep 23 2012, 10:28 AM
Liz<3Days
Cerulean

Quoting limited to 4 levels deepNIELSEN RATINGS: WEEK OF NOVEMBER 23-NOVEMBER 27, 2009

Thats twice, not "many times." Also, both those times had good stories. With the Bill/Laura SL, it was so well written and Bill suffered through a lot of turmoil all those years. I'm watching the old clips and I see why lots of people were/are fans...it was a good story written by one of the masters of soap writing, William Bell.

With Austin and Sami, she never got him. In the end, Carrie won out as how it should be. Sami was the villain in that trio and she never would win Austin. His heart will always be Carrie's.

The ZZZ EJ and Sami saga is written on toilet paper and has more holes then swiss cheese. No depth, no remorse, no growth, actually, it got worse after the rape, not better.

These redeemer/victim sl work when a writer takes care to craft a good story where not just the uberfans are going to like it. Most of the audience have to think its believable. That hasnt happened in a long time.

As for the ratings argument you make again, I have proven to you that no, EJ and Sami dont bring in consistent ratings, but you can think of however you want to think about the pairing you like. I just showed you the numbers. Agree to disagree...
What numbers am I missing? EJ and Sami had a handful of episodes together this year before July, nothing that comes close to all the romantic moments and numerous sex scenes that Safe and EJole in past year. I do agree that story matters, and I believe that's what has hurt EJole. However, Safe has had one "create a supercouple" storyline after another - hiding from an assassin, Grace's death, Rafe's mysteriously dead fiance, the baby switch, Sidney kidnapped two more times, Sidney's fake death, Sami tries to murder her ex, Johnny's cancer, Rafe's kidnapped and cloned, etc., etc., etc.

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

Can we please not turn this thread into a Safe vs Ejami argument? The ratings are bad because the writing is crap. That's been the common denominator for years now.

The Scorpion
Member Avatar

Days is plain and simple boring, moreover the writing is on the wall and it's dull couples same old crap stories, it's pretty obvious that viewers don't tune in for this! Days big problem is that they are not updated to what is selling today in terms characters, stories, couples, and I can guarantee that it's not dull characters that viewers want to see! addition the writers don't write for the couples with the best chemistry instead they let their bias control their storytelling and just there it's a major fail! I think Days will continue to lose viewers if they don't shape up and start to look at their characters and storytelling!

lysie
Member Avatar

For every argument that a couple hurts the ratings, you can find an equally valid argument that the couple helps the ratings. I hated the show in 2009, but you know what? It did well (though, for what it's worth, I have plenty familiarity with how soaps work and at no point did I think that particular story was going to end with Ejami reunited. At no point did that story follow any standard soap formula). The thing is, they didn't go back to 2009. They went back to 2010-11. Which just seems moronic. If the stories were any good, any crappy couple could still be a part of a show with good ratings.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply