Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
September 10-14 2012 Ratings; All Soaps Down
Topic Started: Sep 21 2012, 05:40 PM (4,419 Views)
soccerandtvgirl

These ratings just prove Days needs to stop playing music chairs and get some more solid stories. Is it so hard just for one good solid A story for a while that isn't about solidly about people breaking up, which couple will make it, getting together, lame angst for two people blah blah.

Right now, it's Daniel/Jen getting together eventually and nicole making drama.

Rafe/Sami vs EJ/Sami. enough said. Don't even get into that debate. Not worth it.

Sonny and Will (which is actually a half decent couple story minus gabi's small part in it so i'll forgive that in the couple story area. it's actually not just music chairs)

Then the Abby and Cam stuff. Same thing. Will they make it or not etc.

The only semi non couple story about making or breaking is Nick and the aftermath gabi stuff. Which is related to Mel/Chad as a couple and getting married anyway.

Then we got the Nicole baby story and the lie thing, but that's pretty low key stuff that's still related back to couples anyway.

Bo and Hope's stuff about the new direction for Bo etc, is so minor I can't even count it.

Then Lucas and Billie and the other characters just pop up to pimp a couple really or give hints about the couple stories.

No wonder Days is such a mess.

Honestly a fan of the show, I'll be happy if the couples I want to get together, but if it's just about if they get together or not, it gets far too easy not to even care because it's all just fixed/teased/building couples and then damaged then back and repeat.

The reason Days used to be good is because it had lots of different stories that crossed and you never felt like it was just about if your couple got together or not. Instead it was about a journey, a story and lots of things happening. Growth in stories and connecting them together, not just plot point to plot point to get certain couples. As much as I hated sometimes the Salem Stalker and JER's writing for example, at least it wasn't just about if so and so got together, then let's please this fanbase and get these two together. Same with the John and Marlena affair. It wasn't about just if they got together: it was about how their previous story got them to the point of cheating. How the baby complicated things. How it affected other characters and their relationships with other people and themselves and the aftermath it caused. Why did the characters to what they did, why did certain characters act that way to the affair. etc. It was very complex and affected a LOT of ppl. Sure it got them together in the end and sure it was basically about a couple, but it never felt like ohh will Marlena be with Roman or John...stay tuned. :ermm:

So with that reason for the rating being explained, in my opinion (I went off on a huge tangent, sorry about that). I'm hoping the new characters coming back/ returning can spice this up and bring back some actual story.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
LUMI

^^That's because the show and JER didn't bother writing for the 'fan bases' they wrote the story that made the most sense and if the couple had chemistry they build up the story so that the audience wouldn't be scratching their head saying WTF just happened. This is exactly what I have been doing since about about May or so (scratching my head saying WTF is happening). They didn't slowly build up Ejami AT ALL, they quickly turned them from hating one another to being friendly while drinking wine and talking good sex. Two people that had so much toxicity at that time to at least spend a few MONTHS talking about what they had done to one another since 2010, and trying to get past it, but they didn't have those conversations, they just started making out one day, so it just seemed forced and contrived whatever they tried to do with them. Jump ahead now to what is taking place now. Here we are with Safe now taking the place of Ejami with some fans complaining that this just came out of nowhere, that they haven't even discussed how he seemed way too attracted to Carrie back then to even try to make his relationship with Sami work, but here they are all of a sudden tripping over one another and kissing each other, trying to see if there is something there.

Someone else said this a while back, that when you write contrived bullshit for any pairing it doesn't do any justice for the show, and that might work fine if it's your couple getting that writing but sooner or later the pairing that you don't like is going to get the same type of contrived bullshit writing too. So it does no one any favors, it hurts the show. PERIOD.

You can't measure ratings on a week or two spike, ratings are measured over time, you look for a trend, moderate gains over time. If the show is able to hold the audience a month or so after a big spike in the ratings then the show is doing something right.

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

TOTALLY deserved!

trojangal
Member Avatar

Maybe the ratings for Days stink because some feel like I do
Lately I find myself FF a lot of the show or not really caring if I see it or not
Why?
I am no longer invested in or care about
what happens to the characters or couples. Things happen that make no sense to advance the plot
and each new EP or writer seems to think the audience has amnesia . The lack of continuity is ridiculous
and makes me nuts.
If the show doesn't care about the characters & the storylines why should the audience?

samixxx
Member Avatar

Totals down but demos up. Interesting.

Beth
Member Avatar

I haven't watched since the change because nothing has interested me. I haven't quit watching DOOL regularly since the Marlena possession storyline.

Kara700

cool :P

Dreamer
Gone, But Not Forgotten!

What did NBCDAYS expect when they rehired the recycled skills of old men TomSell? They deserve crappy ratings for the crap they are are dishing out to fans, trying to call themselves a soap opera, go figure! I think a 'three ring circus' accurately describes the show, enough with the damn triangles!

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Beth
Sep 25 2012, 03:26 PM
I haven't watched since the change because nothing has interested me. I haven't quit watching DOOL regularly since the Marlena possession storyline.
I have watched 2 episodes (thats start to finish, not including 5 mintue check outs everyday only to turn the show off in disgust) since the DAYSaster week ended.

The change from DAYSaster to after has IMO been VERY dramatic, and not for the positive.

Cerulean
Member Avatar

Mitchapalooza
Sep 26 2012, 06:04 PM
Beth
I have watched 2 episodes (thats start to finish, not including 5 mintue check outs everyday only to turn the show off in disgust) since the DAYSaster week ended.

The change from DAYSaster to after has IMO been VERY dramatic, and not for the positive.
I've never seen a soap go careening downhill so fast. Not only did TomSell learn nothing from their time in the unemployment line, they clearly believe their only weakness was not pimping their pets harder. :(

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

Cerulean
Sep 27 2012, 08:48 AM
Mitchapalooza
Sep 26 2012, 06:04 PM
Beth

I've never seen a soap go careening downhill so fast. Not only did TomSell learn nothing from their time in the unemployment line, they clearly believe their only weakness was not pimping their pets harder. :(
OMG I know...its almost like they KNOW this is torturing us viewers and they are doing it because so many of us celebrated their firings before..haha

LOL - I know that is not true, but when a fan feels like the material onscreen is being made to INTENTIONALLY disgust/bore/piss them off...you got serious viewership problems.....as DAYS ratings indicate :)
Edited by Mitchapalooza, Sep 27 2012, 11:41 AM.

happy
Member Avatar

I wonder if NBC will cancel DOOL and give AS her own talk show to fill the slot?

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Register for Free
« Previous Topic · General Daytime News · Next Topic »
Add Reply