Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Steel Magnolias Remake; Queen Latifah, Jill Scott. Alfre Woodard
Topic Started: Sep 27 2012, 08:59 PM (1,346 Views)
lightandday
Member Avatar
HBD-Nesta Robert Marley,February 6, 1945 BitchesBrew

Who's Watching?.. ;)

BEVERLY HILLS — Jill Scott wanted to remake “Steel Magnolias” even before she was offered a role.

“I would have worked in catering,” said the actress/singer this week at the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles. Scott was joined by her costars, Alfre Woodard and Queen Latifah, who also executive produced the made-for-TV movie.

Scott plays Truvy, the beauty salon owner who was portrayed in the 1989 film by Dolly Parton.”Steel Magnolias” revolves around a group of Louisiana women who use the salon as their place of refuge from the ups and downs of their daily lives. The 1989 movie co-starred Sally Field, Shirley MacLaine, Daryl Hannah, Olympia Dukakis, and Julia Roberts.

The decision to remake the film came from Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, the lead executive producers who may take the film one step further and create a television series. Zadan said it “seems like a natural thing,” but also said there was nothing concrete as of Tuesday. The duo are slated to produce the Academy Awards next year.

Zadan and Meron looked to an African American cast for the reboot, which also features updated dialogue (with references to an iPhone and Michelle Obama) and different health issues for Shelby, the central character.

“We wanted to let the material live,” said Meron, who referred several times to the script as “timeless.”

The 18-day shoot was filmed on location in Louisiana. Latifah told the Journal that her decision to both act in and executive produce the film happened simultaneously.

Latifah is no stranger to the producing world.

Since 1999 when she produced “Queen Latifah Show,” the actress has lent a hand behind the scenes in over 20 titles. For “Steel Magnolias,” Latifah said she was all too happy to be first on the call sheet. Latifah has also signed on to heavily promote the remake.

“There’s nothing I hate more than girls tearing each other apart,” Latifah said, and was quickly backed up by Scott.

The made for TV movie airs Oct. 7 on Lifetime.

WSJ SpeakEasy

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Virgo Twins
Member Avatar

I am so excited. I cannot wait to see this movie. I will be watching. I saw the first Steel Magnolias ( I liked it) and now I cannot wait to see this version. I Love Queen Latifah and Jill Scott. I am super-excited.

lightandday
Member Avatar
HBD-Nesta Robert Marley,February 6, 1945 BitchesBrew

So am I Virgo T. :D here is some behind the scene shots.
http://www.mylifetime.com/movies/steel-magnolias/photos/behind-the-scenes-gallery#id=1

Virgo Twins
Member Avatar

lightandday
Sep 29 2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks for those. Now I am even more excited to see the movie. Queen Latifah looks beautiful. I know it is going to be a good movie.

LPS
Member Avatar

I don't think this will end well. I'll keep an open mind and watch it.

LPS
Member Avatar

Quote:

The woman who produced the disgustingly sappy tearjerker, "Steel Magnolias" ... is suing over the upcoming Lifetime TV remake of the film -- claiming she's not getting the credit or the cash she deserves.

Victoria L. White -- executive producer of the 1989 film starring Julia Roberts, Dolly Parton, and Shirley MacLaine -- filed suit today against Sony Pictures and Lifetime Television ... producers of the new TV movie starring Queen Latifah and Phylicia Rashad.

In the documents, White claims she has a "Television agreement" that entitles her to a co-producer or co-executive producer credit on any TV project based on her hit film.

According to the suit, White also says she's entitled to some cash for the Lifetime remake -- including a $15,000 fee, plus up to 3.75% of net profits from the movie.

White further alleges Sony is fully aware of her TV deal ... because it gave her a co-producer credit and compensation the first time this happened. For those who don't remember (as in all of us), there was already a 1992 CBS TV movie based on "Steel Magnolias."

White is suing for compensation on the Lifetime remake -- and she wants an injunction to stop the film from airing ... unless she gets her on-screen credit. The movie is scheduled to air Oct. 7.

Here's what we can't figure ... why does this movie have to be remade over and over?

23-year spoiler alert: the chick with diabetes dies.

link

LMAO@ the spoiler alert

This is stupid, but I loved it! lol

Edited by LPS, Oct 1 2012, 09:14 PM.

lysie
Member Avatar

LPS
Oct 1 2012, 08:35 PM
I don't think this will end well. I'll keep an open mind and watch it.
The previews make it look identical to the first. That makes sense because it's based on a play, but that just furthers the fact that it's stupid to do a remake.

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

I'll always like the original best but I'll give this one a chance. I don't understand why they remade it though.

Keisha
Member Avatar
♥ Sabrina & Patrick ♥

Miss Rhi
Oct 1 2012, 10:35 PM
I'll always like the original best but I'll give this one a chance. I don't understand why they remade it though.
me too.

Bremol
Member Avatar

Quote:

Zadan and Meron looked to an African American cast for the reboot, which also features updated dialogue (with references to an iPhone and Michelle Obama) and different health issues for Shelby, the central character.

Wrong. The health issues are exactly the same. She even has the fast and quick attack at Truvy's.

I don't see why they remade it because all they did was update the year and have them sit around talking about things going on now.

Virgo Twins
Member Avatar

I liked the remake myself. I have been a fan of Queen Latifah and Jill Scott for years and Ireally liked the remake of the movie.

peaches179

The remake was really bad. And Queen Latifah was awful!!!

LPS
Member Avatar

Sh*t! That was a DISASTER! The actresses were just stuttering throughout their dialogue. They sounded like they were reading cue cards. No one had any chemistry. Truvy didn't have any charisma, Anelle wasn't weird enough, Queen Latifa wasn't overbearing (more like blah), Ousier wasn't funny or b*tchy. I could go on. The only half-way decent casting decision was Clarice. Lifetime has produced better films ("Return to Blue Lagoon" or "A Mother's Nightmare"-the film were a girl drugs her boyfriend and he has no spine).

Tammy
Member Avatar

Really did not care for the remake. The only one I really enjoyed was Phylicia Rashad... which is to bad because I normally love Queen Latifa in everything!

cubsgirl
Member Avatar

LPS
Oct 8 2012, 12:57 AM
Sh*t! That was a DISASTER! The actresses were just stuttering throughout their dialogue. They sounded like they were reading cue cards. No one had any chemistry. Truvy didn't have any charisma, Anelle wasn't weird enough, Queen Latifa wasn't overbearing (more like blah), Ousier wasn't funny or b*tchy. I could go on. The only half-way decent casting decision was Clarice. Lifetime has produced better films ("Return to Blue Lagoon" or "A Mother's Nightmare"-the film were a girl drugs her boyfriend and he has no spine).
I completely agree. It completely lack chemistry and the emotions I have gotten from the original movie. I have seen that version a dozen times and still get emotional during it. Part of me thought maybe it was because I was so familiar with the original. But in scenes that weren't in the original movie I still didn't feel any emotion.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

Didn't watch.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Miss Rhi
Member Avatar
"If Sami can't find happiness with a Martian, then she can't find happiness with anyone."

BalscoFan5
Oct 8 2012, 02:22 PM
Didn't watch.
Me either. Kinda glad I didn't after reading what people thought of it.

Bremol
Member Avatar

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I usually love Queen Latifah, but dang did she suck in this. I agree about Clarice, PR was wonderful. I don't know. It just didn't ... gel ... I guess is the word I'm looking for. There were a couple of moments that I liked but overall the movie was a waste. And the actress that played Shelby, well...ugh. She couldn't act.

LPS
Member Avatar

Part of the problem for me was I kept on comparing it to the original which is so iconic. None of the actresses had any comedic talents (with the exception of PR), and it showed because the zingers sucked. I'd figured QL would be good, but she was phoning it in. If they wanted to save the film, they should have made PR play M'lynn.

Another problem was just bad casting. I would not have put AW in the cast. She's more of a silent type.

The scene where Clarice offered Ousier as a punching bag was just PAINFUL. It was fake and came across as a scene from a high school play.
Edited by LPS, Oct 8 2012, 08:38 PM.

peaches179

cubsgirl
Oct 8 2012, 01:08 PM
LPS
Oct 8 2012, 12:57 AM
I completely agree. It completely lack chemistry and the emotions I have gotten from the original movie. I have seen that version a dozen times and still get emotional during it. Part of me thought maybe it was because I was so familiar with the original. But in scenes that weren't in the original movie I still didn't feel any emotion.

I agree. The way Sally Fields played those scenes at the cemetary still gives me the chills!!! Thats what you call emotion!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Primetime Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply