Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Caroline's health crisis; Airs week of Oct 8th
Topic Started: Oct 4 2012, 01:14 PM (3,291 Views)
Ellie

This week's Soap Opera Digest features an article about Caroline and her health issues.

Bo tells Caroline that he's quitting his job to sail with Hope and Ciara. Caroline is disappointed, but then she becomes forgetful. Bo notices and when he mentions it, Caroline becomes agitated and mistakes him for Shawn Sr. Bo wants Caroline to go see Kayla for medical help. Mary Beth Evans shares that Kayla has to figure out what's wrong medically "and take some risks" and also be strong for the family. As Caroline admits she could have Alzheimer's, Kayla does blood tests on her and the family waits for news...

Pick up the latest Digest for details!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

six
Member Avatar

I really don't like the idea of this story. Partially because Days just doesn't do this kind of thing well. They really should have given Caroline a mysterious disease, then given her a cure for when she miraculously recovered in time to raise the town's children. My other issue is that it's a waste of Caroline. Not that they were utilizing her anyway, but the show lacks matriarchs now and if PM is healthy and willing to work, it makes no sense to box her character in like this.

Ellie

six
Oct 4 2012, 01:39 PM
I really don't like the idea of this story. Partially because Days just doesn't do this kind of thing well. They really should have given Caroline a mysterious disease, then given her a cure for when she miraculously recovered in time to raise the town's children. My other issue is that it's a waste of Caroline. Not that they were utilizing her anyway, but the show lacks matriarchs now and if PM is healthy and willing to work, it makes no sense to box her character in like this.
I agree with every word of your post... the biggest issue for me is that it's the end of Caroline as a character, if she does have Alzheimer's or a permanent memory issue. Yes, sadly this does happen in real life, but as you're saying, Days is terrible at that sort of thing. Why sacrifice such a long-term character for a short-term plot point like Bo's exit?

GatesRhiannon
Member Avatar

Depressing and heartbreaking though the subject may be, I have no problem with them telling this story.But (and clearly that's a BIG BUT) if they are going to tell it, they need to do it correctly. They need to do their research. They need to dedicate themselves to giving the story airtime even if it is "depressing" and focused on all the wrong demographic. There are real people dealing with dementia. This is not a subject to be taken on lightly or haphazardly. If there is any actress on Days that could pull this story off it is Peggy McCay. She would shine in the dying of the light. But this is not a subject to be trotted out once a month with a series half-hearted stereotypes until 6 months later when the show decides to pull the plug. Tell the story correctly with all the anguish and heartbreak, complete with small triumphs and devastating losses or don't tell the story at all. Telling this story wrong would make me angrier than having any unpopular character imaginable crammed down my throat and would upset more than the character assassination even my most beloved favorites. Do it right or don't do it at all.
Edited by GatesRhiannon, Oct 4 2012, 01:51 PM.

veteranfan

I do not like the idea of this story at all. As I have said before they need a veteran character like Caroline and Ms. McCay is an excellant actress when given the material. I agree with Six if P M is able and willing to work why would a show box her character in with a health issue like this. I am holding out that for some other health issue Tomlin was the writer when Caroline had a stroke.

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

IA with what's been posted so far. I'll throw in, though, that it'd be more interesting for me if it were Victor or Maggie. That added romance layer, the heartbreak if they call each other by the name of a past spouse...it would involve Daniel if it were V/M which would suck, but I still feel like it'd be a stronger story that way.

Hopefully we at least see reactions from other family members and people like Maggie. This could have an interesting broad impact.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

^If they don't bring Victor into this at some point, I'll feel a little cheated.

Definitely mixed feelings, but I'm looking forward to it anyway.

concerned
Member Avatar

You can't diagnose if you have Alzheimers from blood tests. These better be being used just to rule out other possiblities.

Ellie

concerned
Oct 4 2012, 02:31 PM
You can't diagnose if you have Alzheimers from blood tests. These better be being used just to rule out other possiblities.
Yes - the article says that Kayla explains that it might not be Alzheimer's, and she does blood tests.

JamaicanBeauty7
Member Avatar

six
Oct 4 2012, 01:39 PM
ITA with you about this but I have to wonder if Peggy no longer wants to be on the show anymore (for whatever reason). I remember her being excited about her upcoming s/l so I figure this was what she was talking about. She must have known by then what it was going to entail. I'm not saying that she's happy to be out the door, but maybe the reason why she was happy was because she wanted to leave and they gave her a s/l on her way out.
Edited by JamaicanBeauty7, Oct 4 2012, 02:38 PM.

Lil
Member Avatar

Is PMc planning on leaving or retiring any time soon? this seems like it would/should me more of a story for Caroline's exit, not Bo's.

Also very weird that Bo is around to find this out about his Mom but just bails after anyway. I'm not opposed to the story...just the timing is all kinds of weird to me.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Sigh. This could be a storyline that hits home for nearly everyone in the audience, but like most have said...this show SUCKS at this type of writing and the only route they would go is to have Caroline dead in a month. If this would have started 9-12 months ago and she was really deteriorating this could be great.

Why is Bo leaving again? We just saw video of Deidre Hall talking to Peggy McKay at the 12,000th episode. Bo is gone...I don't get it. Would Bo leave his mother when she had Alzheimer's? Or really anything else life threatening? No. It was already ridiculous that he would leave Hope and Ciara to go off on some mid-life crisis adventure, but this gives him even MORE reason to stay. I will say there are ways to salvage this, but the show isn't going to do it.

If Bo thinks Caroline might soon forget everything and wants her to enjoy what could be her last days in sound mind and takes her sailing around the world or to go visit Ireland to feel closer to Shawn Sr. while she still remembers him. This could be highly emotionally and great story. If while they're gone Bo disappears because he's also taking the opportunity to dig around about the DiMeras this would explain Caroline being back and Bo being gone. It would explain Bo ditching his family and cover almost all of the bases. It would leave Hope/Kristian Alfonso in a bind, but I'm sure they would go the Jack route and have Stefano or someone send Hope an email saying Bo didn't want to come home and is on a sail-about. Whatever, something stupid. Best case would be a video of Bo "dying" that didn't involve the DiMeras so Hope can have a life.

But even that scenario if Caroline is really going through this don't we all want to see her with Bo, Kayla, Kimberly, and even bozo Roman? It just doesn't make sense to do this unless Caroline is going to die and apparently she is not.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

I wonder if TomSell will use this to un-eggbaby Daniel? If they do, then I will never say a bad word against them, no matter what.
Edited by Bright Eyes, Oct 4 2012, 02:46 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Ellie

DiMeraFan67
Oct 4 2012, 02:42 PM
Sigh. This could be a storyline that hits home for nearly everyone in the audience, but like most have said...this show SUCKS at this type of writing and the only route they would go is to have Caroline dead in a month. If this would have started 9-12 months ago and she was really deteriorating this could be great.

Why is Bo leaving again? We just saw video of Deidre Hall talking to Peggy McKay at the 12,000th episode. Bo is gone...I don't get it. Would Bo leave his mother when she had Alzheimer's? Or really anything else life threatening? No. It was already ridiculous that he would leave Hope and Ciara to go off on some mid-life crisis adventure, but this gives him even MORE reason to stay. I will say there are ways to salvage this, but the show isn't going to do it.

If Bo thinks Caroline might soon forget everything and wants her to enjoy what could be her last days in sound mind and takes her sailing around the world or to go visit Ireland to feel closer to Shawn Sr. while she still remembers him. This could be highly emotionally and great story. If while they're gone Bo disappears because he's also taking the opportunity to dig around about the DiMeras this would explain Caroline being back and Bo being gone. It would explain Bo ditching his family and cover almost all of the bases. It would leave Hope/Kristian Alfonso in a bind, but I'm sure they would go the Jack route and have Stefano or someone send Hope an email saying Bo didn't want to come home and is on a sail-about. Whatever, something stupid. Best case would be a video of Bo "dying" that didn't involve the DiMeras so Hope can have a life.

But even that scenario if Caroline is really going through this don't we all want to see her with Bo, Kayla, Kimberly, and even bozo Roman? It just doesn't make sense to do this unless Caroline is going to die and apparently she is not.
It could be that he's off (to the jungle lol) to find some mystery cure for her. That would go along with the SOD fall preview spoiler that he's there for her when she needs him. Idk...

GatesRhiannon
Member Avatar

Confusion and memory loss can be tied to so many different things. I had an uncle die last February, since that time its been heartbreaking to watch my grandmother's memory has slipped away. She went from paying his bills and her bills too, to feeling like someone needed to watch over her finances within a few months time. Someday now she can't remember phone numbers she's dialed for 20 years. She's left stove on unattended; she can't remember what she ate last night or if she ate. Two weeks ago she couldn't remember how to check her blood sugar, something she's had to do for longer than I can remember. My family was terrified that when the diagnosis finally came back it would be Alzheimer's. It's depression. When the antidepressants are working, she's the same sweet loving woman she's always been--calling people by the wrong name and occasionally repeating herself, just like normal. I suppose she would be considered a lucky one, but my point is that memory loss & Alzheimer's are not synonymous. This story can be told without it being about Alzheimer's. A big part of me that knows Days history with these kinds of stories really, really, really hopes that it's not. That doesn't mean it's not a story worth telling though. And still I welcome the chance for Peggy to shine.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Ellie
Oct 4 2012, 02:53 PM
DiMeraFan67
Oct 4 2012, 02:42 PM

It could be that he's off (to the jungle lol) to find some mystery cure for her. That would go along with the SOD fall preview spoiler that he's there for her when she needs him. Idk...
Okay, as far as Bo being gone this works with me. But this REALLY kills Hope. If she ever even flirts with another guy while Bo is in a jungle (lol) trying to save his Mom's life...I mean c'mon. That would be hitting Jennifer levels of trashness.

DrewHamilton
Member Avatar

I like the decision to go this route, but I wish it wasn't Caroline they were using. And if it has to be her, I want it to be because McCay can't work as much and they're doing this to explain why Caroline won't be seen much. But from what we've heard recently, McCay is back in good health and we've seen her working on the set thanks to various cast tweets.

They should've had another doctor run the test on Caroline. It kind of takes away the emotional impact for Kayla to have to play doctor, as well as daughter. It also could've set up a great scene for Kayla and said doctor to discuss what doctors go through when a family member falls ill.

LucasHortonFan
Please write 4 Bryan Dattilo, Give him a love interest.

They better handle this correctly. My mother is dealing with this and she lives with me. She's been a Days fan for many years practically since its conception. She wont even watch anymore. She just shrugs and says Days has changed to much for her to even recognize it. I tend to agree with her.

Snowing Fan
Member Avatar

My grandmother died in 2001 from Alzheimer's,so if Carloine does have it they better do if correctly and not screw it up like they do everything else.
Edited by Snowing Fan, Oct 4 2012, 06:00 PM.

Tammy
Member Avatar

Coming from a person who cares for someone with Alzheimer's... they better not fuck up this story. I don't want them diagnosing Caroline with Alzheimer's then, months down the road she get a miraculous cure! If this is what her illness is they better do it right... which mean she will have the illness the remainder of her time on the show and it will get progressively worse!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply