Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Daytime Royalty Interview with Peggy McCay!
Topic Started: Oct 5 2012, 01:23 PM (3,365 Views)
Ellie

Daytime Royalty: We havenít seen you for a while... we've been worried about you.
Peggy McCay: Oh, I know. I certainly donít enjoy that. However - Iím not in control of it. And you know, Iím just happy to be doing things now and to be an integral part of the show. Iím very happy for that.

Weíre happy too! How are you feeling about your upcoming Alzheimerís storyline? Could this mean the end of Caroline as a character?
They were very reassuring to me to say that this is not going to end me. What I love is how the latest storyís handled, that theyíre giving Caroline Brady, in the midst of all this, a sense of humor and a survival instinct. And I think to people in real life who are actually dealing with this, itís an encouraging story. Sheís still a functioning person, but she forgets things and she misplaces things. But they donít represent this yet as an advanced case.

Regarding a different storyline, when Victor and Maggie got involved, many were hoping Caroline would be in the mix. Was that discussed?
They havenít dealt with my reaction. Iíve been rather cool to her though. I had a scene where I speak to EJ, and I say, ďWell, it appears Victorís finally changed his lifeĒ, but I donít think Caroline can ever really be happy [without him]. Now heís changed his ďgangsterismĒ and he could have married her if heíd done that before, but he hadnít. So I donít think she can be that happy about that. They havenít dwelt on it, but as a character, I am a little distant to Maggie and to him as well. I donít see how you fall out of love with someone youíve loved for all your life. I just donít know about that. They donít deal with that part of the story at all. They never go near it.

Nadiaís coming back, and you were involved with the paternity switch originallyÖ
Yes I was, and I committed a crime! I switched the petrÖ whatever you call the dishes, the DNA, and now it seems that I was too stupid to get that right! Iím not used to committing crimes Ė Iím not good at it! (laughs)

I know you were just honored in conjunction with the Andy Griffith show. Can you tell me about that?
I was astonished. I did one episode of Andy Griffith out of the eight years it was on the air, and my episode turns out to be one of the favorite ones of all, because I played Andy's high school sweetheart. I was the only love interest who came into the show with Andy Griffith. And we even start to fall in love again in a scene. It worked out though that Iím a big city person and heís small town.

The fans loved the show so much, and now they watch reruns, and they even knew my lines! They watch the show so much. They told me that they thought it was one of the most real and beautiful episodes for Andy with anyone, which was lovely to hear, and they gave me the key to the city of Mount Airy, North Carolina. The mayor, who happens to be a woman, and a beautiful woman at that, and all the town was there, and Iím very honored. It was extraordinary Ė from one appearance!

The thing I take away from it is, there were thousands of people, and they love Andy Griffith, and the show, I happened to know the producer of the show, Aaron Ruben, he was a friend and a wonderful man, and their enthusiasm and expressions of appreciation and all of that reminds me as an actress that the audience out there, who we donít hear and see, loves us as performers, and that is a reward. Besides the key to the city Ė you canít beat that! But what I took away is the love of these sweet people, who have a great sense of humor themselves. It was just a lovely revelation of the support of an audience for their favorite actors and show.

And they love Days of Our Lives, thatís another thing! That was wonderful, to know how many people love the show and love my character. Iíve got to tell our executives that they really love Days of Our Lives! Theyíre just as happy and just as devoted to Days as they are to the Andy Griffith Show. It was very rewarding and a great joy! I did a rap song for them about Caroline Brady and I wrote a poem about Andy Griffith and myself, and they loved that.

Thank you for sharing that with us - that sounds wonderful! Congratulations! Facebook and Twitter gives some of the actors a sense of what you're saying, how many people are out there and how they feel about the show. Have you thought of setting up a Twitter account?
After this trip, I certainly want to do that, because I always have loved meeting people and signing autographs. I enjoy that, and I would like to extend that through social media. I think itís part of my job, and I think itís a joy. I do have a website and I answer questions, but I think I should expand what I do. http://www.PeggyMccay.com. People write in to the website and I answer the questions.

One more question, this one more historical. You were on the show in the early 80ís, then left, then came back on a permanent basis. What happened there?
Al Rabin, who was a great friend of mine, I will miss him so much, he was a lovely person and excellent director... he put me on the show, and when I appeared it was for three episodes, and I had no contract and no lines. And I said Al, I appreciate your asking me here, donít think I donít, but I know how hard these shows are to do because Iíve done two others for a short time. I canít do it without a contract. So he said, I understand, and thatís why I left in three days. So then some years went by, and then they decided to have a big storyline for the character Caroline Brady, and thatís when I came back, and thatís when John Aniston came in, and they put [Caroline and Victorís] love story into the show.

Can we hope to see you on a regular basis now? I know the show is taping into January at the moment.
I hope so. I really love it.

Photos: (Click to view):
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa320/ellie029/peggymccayatandytribute_zpsdb0da693.jpg
Peggy McCay and Leroy McNees at the Andy Griffith Celebration in Mount Airy, NC

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa320/ellie029/peggymccaykeytocity_zpsa0f402f8.jpg
Peggy gets the key to the city from Mount Airy mayor Deborah Cochran.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Did she just admit that the Parker paternity switch was botched by Caroline, implying that her really IS Daniel's?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Courtneya6688
Member Avatar

I do believe we just got conforma that parker is daniels son

gailwinters
Member Avatar

^^^ That's what I got.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

Matt
Oct 5 2012, 01:32 PM
Did she just admit that the Parker paternity switch was botched by Caroline, implying that her really IS Daniel's?
Yep....she did...

^o) Parker Jonas ^o)

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

Matt
That's certainly what I got from it. :teehee:

Another great interview, DR! She sounds so full of life and enthusiastic. And she certainly didn't mince words.

Loved this part:

Quote:

Regarding a different storyline, when Victor and Maggie got involved, many were hoping Caroline would be in the mix. Was that discussed?
They havenít dealt with my reaction. Iíve been rather cool to her though. I had a scene where I speak to EJ, and I say, ďWell, it appears Victorís finally changed his lifeĒ, but I donít think Caroline can ever really be happy [without him]. Now heís changed his ďgangsterismĒ and he could have married her if heíd done that before, but he hadnít. So I donít think she can be that happy about that. They havenít dwelt on it, but as a character, I am a little distant to Maggie and to him as well. I donít see how you fall out of love with someone youíve loved for all your life. I just donít know about that. They donít deal with that part of the story at all. They never go near it.

Preach it, Peggy! Drives me bat sh#t crazy. :angry:

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Matt
Yep. lol I already assumed either that was going to happen or it would be a double switch where one of the other people just switched it again after Caroline did. I don't think she really blew a shockingly twist. Anyone on here already assumed it.

Nice interview though. I love Caroline, even if they tried to butcher her with the whole paternity thing and making ehr seem like a shrew. Caroline is meant to be fiery and fiesty, but she was always a good person. I hope we do see more of her. And I'm happy that she made it clear this wasn't an advanced case of Alzheimer's so hopefully the show won't totally botch such a serious issue. I wouldn't mind seeing Caroline slowly losing it, but if she just loses it over night then it would be a joke. This gave me some hope for what we might see.

A little surprised at no Peter Reckell/Bo exit question though. I thought she would at least bring it up when talking about Caroline's future. I'm glad Victor came up though, I can't think of Caroline without thinking of that relationship and how they have basically shoved it to the side. That has to piss her off a little bit.

lene
Member Avatar

hot damn. sucks for Philip.

SoapGal1
Member Avatar

Matt
Yep. I was trying to post this very thing when someone walked in my office!

Also, the reference she made about talking to EJ regarding Victor changing his life makes me wonder if EJ's trying to stay away from Stefano/Kristen?

We could actually have been given a couple of good nuggets/

DR needs to do more interviews!!!

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

It's just... they had to go and take the connection between Phillip and Chloe, and give it to fucking Daniel Jonas.

It was just... Broe got married, Phloe had a baby. It wasn't perfect for either fanbase, but at least Phillip and Chloe fans had something. And they had to take it away.

dc cubs
Member Avatar

The only way I am OK with changing Parker's paternity again is if it leads to Dan leaving Salem with Chloe to raise Parker. How many stories does Dan need to be involved in?

Ellie

dc cubs
Oct 5 2012, 02:02 PM
The only way I am OK with changing Parker's paternity again is if it leads to Dan leaving Salem with Chloe to raise Parker. How many stories does Dan need to be involved in?
It's probably a replacement for Melanie. You know, the man can't be without a child in Salem. Barf.

Ellie

Ugh and then he would be Maggie's grandson... ewwwww

Grandpa Hughes
Member Avatar
"Dedicated to the brotherhood of healing. "

Great interview. I remember that very moving episode of The Andy Griffith Show. It was one of my favorites.

DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

Ellie
Oct 5 2012, 02:06 PM
And I'm sure he's soon to be Abigail's new dad. Maybe they will bring JJ in. Dan can have a whole nest of new kids.
Edited by DiMeraFan67, Oct 5 2012, 02:18 PM.

Anita

Ellie
Oct 5 2012, 02:06 PM
Oh gag! I hope Chloe ushers Daniel out of town permanently.

six
Member Avatar

Oops, hope she doesn't get in trouble for spilling the Parker story. I wonder if NB is just back to have Chloe drop Parker off for Dannifer, or if Danloe's going to get their happy ending. Poor Philip. They really shouldn't do this story without him.

Nice interview. I really enjoyed hearing what she had to say and am pulling for her to get a real story. I wish we'd gotten a henderline shout out, though. ;)

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

six
Oct 5 2012, 02:24 PM
Oops, hope she doesn't get in trouble for spilling the Parker story. I wonder if NB is just back to have Chloe drop Parker off for Dannifer, or if Danloe's going to get their happy ending. Poor Philip. They really shouldn't do this story without him.

Nice interview. I really enjoyed hearing what she had to say and am pulling for her to get a real story. I wish we'd gotten a henderline shout out, though. ;)

It is weird for them to do the story without Philip but it'll probably play out this way....

(At Dannifer's wedding at St. Lukes with Father Eric officiating )

Eric:.....and if there is anyone here today that has any reason for this man and this woman to not be joined in holy matrimony speak now or forever hold your peace.....

(pause....intense music starts playing....doors to St. Lukes open and there is Chloe holding Parker)

jennifer: Chl..Chloe?

Daniel: what is Chloe doing here?

Chloe: Daniel, there is something you should know.....before you marry Jennifer, you must know this
(Chloe approaches the altar slowly).....I have something to tell you. Philip and I found out while they were running tests on Parker, he's been very sick...Philip is devastated but I need to tell you.....it's only fair for you and Jennifer to know this now...

Jennifer: What is this? Daniel were you aware she was returning to Salem?

Daniel: No Jennifer, I had no idea.

Eric: Folks, we need to see what Chloe has to say....Chloe please

Chloe: Daniel....Parker is....he's your son.

JDeveraux_91
Member Avatar

So Parker will end up being Orange Dong's?? :flipoff: You know, I'm starting to take this shit personally. They destroy JnJ and Jennifer for Daniel JonASS, now they break the Phloe connection and give the little boy to Daniel. Gary Tomlin is the worst writer ever! I know Phillip won't be around, but I seriously feel sorry for him. Parker was born about a week before my youngest son. My son will turn 2 right before Thanksgiving so with Parker being the same age, he would already know his daddy and would have bonded with Phillip. Now that's all flushed down the crapper for Daniel the Destroyer of all Couples and Characters Jonas. :angry: :censored:

gailwinters
Member Avatar

Grandpa Hughes
Oct 5 2012, 02:16 PM
Great interview. I remember that very moving episode of The Andy Griffith Show. It was one of my favorites.
Apropos of nothing, my dad was born and raised in Mt. Airy, NC.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply