Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The 25 Most Powerful Shows of the last 25 Years: Days makes #22
Topic Started: Oct 13 2012, 10:50 AM (1,051 Views)
parisa

"Days: The show that slowed down the Supreme Court".

The 25 Most Powerful TV Shows of the Last 25 Years
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MissLola
Member Avatar

Where is this article from and how did the show slow down the supreme court?

lysie
Member Avatar

MissLola
Oct 13 2012, 10:59 AM
Where is this article from and how did the show slow down the supreme court?
It's at the link.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MissLola
Member Avatar

That link doesnt work for me. Maybe it's my phone.

lysie
Member Avatar

It works for me. But here's the text.
Quote:

For years before his 1991 retirement, Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall slipped away from deliberations each day to watch Days of Our Lives. The show wasn’t just a guilty pleasure; it helped shape the justice’s understanding of the world. As Marshall once told Justice William Brennan, soaps teach viewers valuable lessons about life.

And there's a recentish picture of Stefano looking confused.

Supergirlx2
Member Avatar
"I don't live by a set diet. It's not about pounds. It's really about how I feel." ~ KA

This sounds like one person's opinion, not something that was thoroughly investigated and researched. (especially since Venice is mentioned, and no offense to Days, but Days was the only soap mentioned.)

not to mention that i've never heard of this supposed magazine.
Edited by Supergirlx2, Oct 13 2012, 11:55 AM.

lysie
Member Avatar

Supergirlx2
Oct 13 2012, 11:55 AM
This sounds like one person's opinion, not something that was thoroughly investigated and researched. (especially since Venice is mentioned, and no offense to Days, but Days was the only soap mentioned.)

not to mention that i've never heard of this supposed magazine.
I've read similar articles from there. They don't really mean anything, but they are interesting. And yeah, the inclusion of Venice made me take it a lot less seriously, since I have never in my life heard anything about Venice outside of soap boards.

jam6242
Member Avatar

The Thurgood Marshall information was discussed in the 1976 Time Magazine article about soaps so I don't get how it relates to the show's impact over the last 25 years.

annie21

Well, that's interesting since this article claims Marshall made the statement in 1991 (fifteen years after the Time article.) Whether he said it in the 70s or as late as 1991, I would agree with him that soaps had a social value in helping average Americans deal with complex and taboo subjects like divorce, rape, abortion, miscarriages, infidelity, and so on -- that's the same role their counterparts are now playing in other countries around the world. But soaps in the US, and especially Days, became pretty much a laughing stock in the 90s, so his statement really no longer holds and hasn't for a really long time. Too bad.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply