Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Bryan Dattillo on Days 'Gay' Story
Topic Started: Oct 25 2012, 02:08 PM (5,932 Views)
Honeybees
Member Avatar

Even though I think it's a bit of a tone switch from earlier, I agree. Lucas was promiscuous as a teen, and that resulted in Will's existence. It's not a stretch to believe that he would worry about Will and not want Will to make the same mistakes, and his conflicted feelings about Will's sexuality would only amplify this. Even when he accepted Will's coming out, Lucas expressed worry about Will's life being harder and more complicated because of his sexuality, which was honest and fair.

I still find it peculiar that he's changed so radically on Sonny, since Sonny has done nothing wrong and has sincere feelings for Will. But I can buy that seeing his son act on being gay is probably harder than accepting it as a concept.

I still find Nick's objections to be an out-of-character plot point, and Tad's reaction was just cartoonish, though I'm glad he's come around.

In any case, I think BD can pull this off if the writers aren't bent on making him the bad guy.
Offline Profile Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

I find Nick's reaction interesting. I agree that it doesn't fit the character as we knew him and the vague, flimsy "I pay more attention to right and wrong now" isn't enough to explain that difference. But, I find it intriguing that the show has apparently decided to try and show somebody who doesn't agree with the "gay lifestyle" but also claims not to hate/dislike/condemn Will or Sonny.

I have always a hard time with this position in theory, but at the same time have seen several people actually seem to pull it off. They love the people in their life that are gay, but at the same time feel very strongly about gay marriage and other issues that, to me, seem discriminatory and often hateful. I've never really understood how they can reconcile those two things but somehow they do. So, what Nick said seems very realistic to me. Yet, at the same time, it also rings so false in some ways.

I guess the complexity/confusion on the issue makes me give the show a little credit for finding someone to portray that view. And having it be a young, generally good, guy increases that complexity. It would be too easy to dismiss it if it were Caroline or somebody else who was older and/or overtly religious. In any case, I am interested to see where they go with this down the road.
Offline Profile Goto Top

jb1183

I wouldn't be so worked up about this storyline if someone besides Tomlin was writing it. He has such a strong bias against Lucas and I don't trust him to build the character back up again. The storyline seems designed with the sole intention of making Lucas look as bad as possible and to destoy his previously close relationship with his son.

And it doesn't fit the character, as others have eloquently expressed. It does fit Sami, though. In fact, most of the words coming out of Lucas' mouth this week would make much more sense if SAMI was saying them. Much more sense. I would actually rather watch Sami play the villian for Wilson than jump back and forth between her endless parade of men.
Edited by jb1183, Nov 1 2012, 05:14 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Aliaron
Member Avatar

jb1183
Nov 1 2012, 05:11 PM
I wouldn't be so worked up about this storyline if someone besides Tomlin was writing it. He has such a strong bias against Lucas and I don't trust him to build the character back up again. The storyline seems designed with the sole intention of making Lucas look as bad as possible and to destoy his previously close relationship with his son.

And it doesn't fit the character, as others have eloquently expressed. It does fit Sami, though. In fact, most of the words coming out of Lucas' mouth this week would make much more sense if SAMI was saying them. Much more sense. I would actually rather watch Sami play the villian for Wilson than jump back and forth between her endless parade of men.
Sami was made to play Kate to Will. Talk about poetic justice. Having Lucas in that role makes no sense. Lucas should be scheming to pull a hostile take over of Basic Black.
Edited by Aliaron, Nov 1 2012, 05:46 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lumifan4life

Aliaron
Nov 1 2012, 05:45 PM
jb1183
Nov 1 2012, 05:11 PM

Sami was made to play Kate to Will. Talk about poetic justice. Having Lucas in that role makes no sense. Lucas should be scheming to pull a hostile take over of Basic Black.
I don't know, I think it makes perfect sense. Lucas is Kate's son. She's always meddling in his life so now Lucas is always meddling in Will's life. Sami not paying attention to Will's life makes sense to me since she was never as close to Will as Lucas was. She used him as a pawn mainly as he grew up while Lucas wanted to be a dad and cherished it. So him butting his nose in Will's business while Sami continues to be self absorbed with her own man issues makes perfect sense to me.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Aliaron
Member Avatar

Lucas was never the control type with Will. This is a recent development. So how all of a sudden now this makes sense? Because his mom is Kate? If he all of a sudden wanted to become a doctor would that make sense because he's a Horton? Lucas was never like Kate. And he shouldn't be.

I absolutely hate these stories. Joss whedon had the sense not to do this crap with Willow which is why she was such an awesome character. No one had to be ruined to make her gay.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Harmony233

While I think out of all of kates kids lucas is probally the most like her which isn't a suprise since she raised him and he didn't grow up with a father.Even though he doesn't do it anymore lying and scheming came easy to him.I'm just not sure I buy the meddling he used to get mad at kate for not just eddling in his life but in his brothers and sister too.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lumifan4life

Aliaron
Nov 1 2012, 10:18 PM
Lucas was never the control type with Will. This is a recent development. So how all of a sudden now this makes sense? Because his mom is Kate? If he all of a sudden wanted to become a doctor would that make sense because he's a Horton? Lucas was never like Kate. And he shouldn't be.

I absolutely hate these stories. Joss whedon had the sense not to do this crap with Willow which is why she was such an awesome character. No one had to be ruined to make her gay.
Actually it makes sense because of how close Kate and Lucas always were. I think most would agree that he's her favorite son which explains why she meddles in his life more than she does her other children. I don't think anyone would ever question the depth of Kate's love for Lucas and I would say she would do absolutely anything for him. And everything she does she thinks is for his "happiness", lol. I can't say the same when it comes to Sami and Will. I just do not see their relationship to be as close as Lucas and Will were for most of Will's life. Only now there is tension there but when Lucas was young, he too felt suffocated by his mother, just as I'm sure Will feels now by his dad.

So that is why it makes perfect sense to me that Lucas is now in the "Kate" role when it comes to Will. It's not just because Kate is Lucas's mom but it more has to do with the nature of Lucas & Will's relationship over the years compared to Sami and Will. I see more similarities between Lucas's love and devotion to Will and Kate's exact same love and devotion to Lucas all his life. I do not see that same type of bond between Sami and Will no matter how swimmingly they get along now. Sami was never capable of being the devoted parent to Will that she might have wanted to be. She always depended on Lucas to take on that role. Also, it's hard to say that Lucas was not controlling with Will before now because there was no reason to be. Now that Will is all grown up and has a love life of his own, we are finally able to see how Lucas is handling that aspect of his son's life...just as we saw how Kate handled Lucas's love life from age 18 and up.

I just see the Kate/Lucas and Lucas/Will dynamic to be so similar that I just cannot see Sami in this same overprotective, bordering on obsessive parental role when it comes to Will. She just doesn't have it in her to care that much because history has proven that she never really has.
Edited by lumifan4life, Nov 1 2012, 10:40 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

King
Member Avatar

Honeybees
Oct 31 2012, 07:41 AM
King
Oct 30 2012, 10:49 PM
I think Adrienne and Sami should get a little feisty with each other too.

Victor hated Sami at one point.

Bring that back! I want drama. I do not want to see Wilson so happy. It's so boring.
This is why I'm a bit upset at the reset of Will's character by TomSell, back to the fall of 2011. Chandler didn't win his Emmy for nice guy Will. He won it for the tormented, closeted weasel that happily worked for EJ (at times seemingly just to stir shit) and was always in his mother's face. Will still loved his siblings and Grandma and wasn't totally bad, but he was acting like Sami's son for the first time. If Will still had some moral ambiguity to him, there would be natural tension between Wilson. The baby storyline might work, but it's outside tension, not from within.
I am totally with you on that.

Will should never be a boy scout. Ever.

I am so annoyed with all of TomSell's resets.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ljay
Member Avatar

Kenny
Oct 25 2012, 02:08 PM
Lucas purposely interrupts an intimate moment between Sonny and Will this week when he beats down Sonny's door with the excuse that he wants Will to say goodbye to his grandma Caroline. Does this mean Lucas can't handle his son being intimate with another guy?

"It's not that simple," says Dattilo. "Lucas doesn't want to see Will get hurt. He just wants to make sure Sonny doesn't take advantage of Will when he's in a vulnerable state."

Dattilo admits that Lucas was taken aback when he saw Will being affectionate with Sonny a few weeks ago and he's trying to get used to being okay with it. "There's a shift in attitude that he has to make," says Dattilo.

Dattilo goes on to talk about Lucas and Sami's relationship, saying Lucas was hurt when Sami picked EJ over him last summer but he would drop everything in a heartbeat to be with her. Shares the actor, "He loves her."

Pick up the latest Digest for details!
I think Lucas needs to find himself a woman and leave his kid alone. Let Will be happy, hes not gonna learn anything if he doesn't face things for himself. Thats why they call it "Falling" in love, you may get hurt and then again you may not.

I love Lucas but I think the litte feller is turning into his mother (Kate)

Maybe Lucas can hit Sami up and knock some off, LOL (Kidding LUMI fans, no offense) :wink:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

lumifan4life
Nov 1 2012, 10:34 PM
Aliaron
Nov 1 2012, 10:18 PM

Actually it makes sense because of how close Kate and Lucas always were. I think most would agree that he's her favorite son which explains why she meddles in his life more than she does her other children. I don't think anyone would ever question the depth of Kate's love for Lucas and I would say she would do absolutely anything for him. And everything she does she thinks is for his "happiness", lol. I can't say the same when it comes to Sami and Will. I just do not see their relationship to be as close as Lucas and Will were for most of Will's life. Only now there is tension there but when Lucas was young, he too felt suffocated by his mother, just as I'm sure Will feels now by his dad.

So that is why it makes perfect sense to me that Lucas is now in the "Kate" role when it comes to Will. It's not just because Kate is Lucas's mom but it more has to do with the nature of Lucas & Will's relationship over the years compared to Sami and Will. I see more similarities between Lucas's love and devotion to Will and Kate's exact same love and devotion to Lucas all his life. I do not see that same type of bond between Sami and Will no matter how swimmingly they get along now. Sami was never capable of being the devoted parent to Will that she might have wanted to be. She always depended on Lucas to take on that role. Also, it's hard to say that Lucas was not controlling with Will before now because there was no reason to be. Now that Will is all grown up and has a love life of his own, we are finally able to see how Lucas is handling that aspect of his son's life...just as we saw how Kate handled Lucas's love life from age 18 and up.

I just see the Kate/Lucas and Lucas/Will dynamic to be so similar that I just cannot see Sami in this same overprotective, bordering on obsessive parental role when it comes to Will. She just doesn't have it in her to care that much because history has proven that she never really has.
even if lucas turn in to kate ,kate still have reasons of what she do what lucas reason oh wait i know what the reason wilson need angst and they want bad guy in story why not lucas new viewers will not know the history and old viewer have short memroy they already screw him before and later lame reasons to be offscreen they want to do it again already
Online Profile Goto Top

elci525
Member Avatar

I can see Lucas maybe adopting some of Kate's overbearing tendencies to a degree. But as I said, I think he would stop himself before getting too far down that meddling road, knowing first hand what lovely effects Kate's antics had on his life. And it would also be a nice opportunity to remind audiences and die-hard fans such as myself that Kate had somewhat of a significant hand in ruining things for Lumi or making Lumi difficult. And that Lucas wouldn't want to be guilty of the same thing re: his son's life or happiness sounds about right to me. So that is why I am saying I hope this kind of writing doesn't continue for Lucas for too long. Starting this way but then stopping himself given his history makes so much more sense. T'would be nice if the writers saw it the same way. But I highly doubt it.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Harmony233

elci525
Nov 2 2012, 07:22 AM
I can see Lucas maybe adopting some of Kate's overbearing tendencies to a degree. But as I said, I think he would stop himself before getting too far down that meddling road, knowing first hand what lovely effects Kate's antics had on his life. And it would also be a nice opportunity to remind audiences and die-hard fans such as myself that Kate had somewhat of a significant hand in ruining things for Lumi or making Lumi difficult. And that Lucas wouldn't want to be guilty of the same thing re: his son's life or happiness sounds about right to me. So that is why I am saying I hope this kind of writing doesn't continue for Lucas for too long. Starting this way but then stopping himself given his history makes so much more sense. T'would be nice if the writers saw it the same way. But I highly doubt it.
IA and Tomlin writing this makes me nervous hes not the biggest lucas fan
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ljay
Member Avatar

Harmony233
Nov 2 2012, 07:24 AM
elci525
The way they are writing Lucas now he has adopted Kate's overbearing ways. I mean come on! The way Lucas was beating on the door when Sonny and Will were on the other side doing what was best, LOL . Lucas like to have beat the damn door off the hinges. Lucas was determined to stop whatever was goin on behind that door.

I dont want them to turn Lucas into something that he was never like before where the character is unrecognizable. I dont want Lucas wasted on a couple we all know isnt gonna work. Lucas need someone new if they arent gonna write Sami in his orbit anymore. But I dont want to see one of my favorites like he is written now.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Harmony233

Ljay
Nov 2 2012, 07:32 AM
Harmony233
Nov 2 2012, 07:24 AM
elci525
The way they are writing Lucas now he has adopted Kate's overbearing ways. I mean come on! The way Lucas was beating on the door when Sonny and Will were on the other side doing what was best, LOL . Lucas like to have beat the damn door off the hinges. Lucas was determined to stop whatever was goin on behind that door.

I dont want them to turn Lucas into something that he was never like before where the character is unrecognizable. I dont want Lucas wasted on a couple we all know isnt gonna work. Lucas need someone new if they arent gonna write Sami in his orbit anymore. But I dont want to see one of my favorites like he is written now.
I'd perfer LUcas to move on too I don't need to see him pining for sami for the rest of his life or at least go back to being a player lol hell even EJ has had women who loved him besides sami pretty sad when a recurring character like T can get a girlfriend but lucas can't
Offline Profile Goto Top

lumifan4life

I think Lucas's whole attitude regarding Will and everything right now is in part due to what BD said in last week's SOD article: he's walking around with a huge chip on his shoulder. He has no life. He's still in love with Sami but knows he can't be with her and he hates it. So he's going to set out to make his own son's life miserable because he's bored and needs something to do. Part of it is because he's an overprotective dad but part if it is also because he's lonely and miserable himself. I really think that's what it comes down to. So Lucas needs to start making some decisions here. Either start dating again, no matter how hard that is or tell Sami how he still feels and get it out of his system. I know the latter is probably not going to happen so as long as Lucas keeps his feelings bottled up inside and remains bitter for god knows how long, he's going to become more and more like Kate in Will's life.

I do see this particular storyline shifting though because CM did say that even Lucas comes to accept him and Sonny together after the boys make love and are officially a couple to all of Salem. Gabi's pregnancy storyline is going to be the main focus from then on.
Edited by lumifan4life, Nov 2 2012, 08:35 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Partnersincrime
Member Avatar

you give the writers way too much credit
Online Profile Goto Top

appleblossom

elci525
True she and Evagaline did set Sami and Brandon up to destroy LUMI's first wedding, then she and Nicole exposed Sami as Stan , and who could forget about that picture of her and EJ at the last wedding. Considering Sami saved Lucas's life a few times, that is dirty and unexcusable. Chloe saved her life with a plasma donation, look where that got her.
Offline Profile Goto Top

appleblossom

Ljay
Nov 2 2012, 06:53 AM
Kenny
Lucas purposely interrupts an intimate moment between Sonny and Will this week when he beats down Sonny's door with the excuse that he wants Will to say goodbye to his grandma Caroline. Does this mean Lucas can't handle his son being intimate with another guy?

"It's not that simple," says Dattilo. "Lucas doesn't want to see Will get hurt. He just wants to make sure Sonny doesn't take advantage of Will when he's in a vulnerable state."

Dattilo admits that Lucas was taken aback when he saw Will being affectionate with Sonny a few weeks ago and he's trying to get used to being okay with it. "There's a shift in attitude that he has to make," says Dattilo.

Dattilo goes on to talk about Lucas and Sami's relationship, saying Lucas was hurt when Sami picked EJ over him last summer but he would drop everything in a heartbeat to be with her. Shares the actor, "He loves her."

I think Lucas needs to find himself a woman and leave his kid alone. Let Will be happy, hes not gonna learn anything if he doesn't face things for himself. Thats why they call it "Falling" in love, you may get hurt and then again you may not.

Maybe Lucas can hit Sami up and knock some off, LOL (Kidding LUMI fans, no offense) :wink:
That is funny, considering Sami hasn't had sex in awhile, I don't see her objecting to Lucas's advances, unless she doesn't want to use him anymore. Poor EJ, Sami may desire him , but the poor guy can't get her into bed.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Helpless Romantic

appleblossom
Nov 2 2012, 09:27 AM
Ljay
Nov 2 2012, 06:53 AM
Kenny

That is funny, considering Sami hasn't had sex in awhile, I don't see her objecting to Lucas's advances, unless she doesn't want to use him anymore. Poor EJ, Sami may desire him , but the poor guy can't get her into bed.
Maybe if Elvis wasn't such an asshole or maybe if he stopped forcing "love" on Sami he wouldn't have had any trouble. I feel no sympathy for EJ he threw away a woman who loved and accepted him with her whole heart for a woman he is obssessed with. So anything that happens or doesn't at this point is on him. It's the choices he intially made that have the women in his life weary of him. As for Lucas he does need something to do besides being the angst to Wilson and Sami's sounding board. It still seems they casted no new females apart from T's new girlfriend.
Edited by Helpless Romantic, Nov 2 2012, 09:52 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic