Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Spoilers for the week of November 19th; *updated 11/13*
Topic Started: Nov 2 2012, 12:19 PM (32,335 Views)
esp13
Member Avatar

Dreamer
Nov 13 2012, 11:08 AM
Since Nicole's baby died... I guess nobody cares about the paternity switching results....not even Salem University Hospital... seems like they too are turning a blind eye... on the good doctor and Nicole as they duped the real father out of knowing it was his baby. Forgive and forget.....goes a long way in soapland. How does Daniel come out of this smelling like a rose? Should he not be reprimanded for his actions or behaviour?
University Hospital doesn't know about the switch. They might know that the results were wrong, but they don't know how that happened. EJ agreed not to bring any kind of charges against Daniel. As far as I know, Jen hasn't told anybody about Daniel switching the results of the paternity test. So, he comes out smelling like a rose for the same reason Nicole doesn't go to jail. Somebody decided not to report them/press charges.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MissLola
Member Avatar

esp13
Nov 13 2012, 11:17 AM
MissLola
Nov 13 2012, 11:11 AM
esp13
Nov 13 2012, 11:03 AM
Sweeps don't have to be about big events and shouldn't always be about them. When you make every sweeps about some big bombshell, it weakens the story because everything is geared towards creating that big, explosive event. GH did this for years and the while the sweeps ratings would be okay, the show would plummet in the off months because there was no actual story being told -- just transitions from one event to another.

This sweeps, we have the big reveal of Nicole's lies, Bo and Caroline's exit, and now Eric's return. We've also had Kristen's manipulations (leading to her reveal), Sonny and Will getting together, and the reveal of Gabi's pregnancy. People may not like those stories/reveals, but it's actually quite a bit of stuff happening.
While I respect your opinions, I don't agree. We obviously have very different ideas of what type of entertainment we enjoy watching. I am enjoying GH right now and that is exactly the type of thing that keeps me interested and coming back for more. While a lot is happening on Days now, not very much is interesting to me and has been a disappointment. While I am happy for you that you are enjoying the show, I am not.
Just to be clear, I wasn't talking about GH now. I was referring to how GH operating for years until the regime change. They actually seem to have figured out the balance for the moment. Days isn't there yet, but I do think there was a lot more going on for sweeps than people give credit for. JMO.
Again, I respect your opinions but I still don't agree with most of them.

Deleted User
Deleted User

MissLola
Nov 13 2012, 11:11 AM
esp13
Sweeps don't have to be about big events and shouldn't always be about them. When you make every sweeps about some big bombshell, it weakens the story because everything is geared towards creating that big, explosive event. GH did this for years and the while the sweeps ratings would be okay, the show would plummet in the off months because there was no actual story being told -- just transitions from one event to another.

This sweeps, we have the big reveal of Nicole's lies, Bo and Caroline's exit, and now Eric's return. We've also had Kristen's manipulations (leading to her reveal), Sonny and Will getting together, and the reveal of Gabi's pregnancy. People may not like those stories/reveals, but it's actually quite a bit of stuff happening.
While I respect your opinions, I don't agree. We obviously have very different ideas of what type of entertainment we enjoy watching. I am enjoying GH right now and that is exactly the type of thing that keeps me interested and coming back for more. While a lot is happening on Days now, not very much is interesting to me and has been a disappointment. While I am happy for you that you are enjoying the show, I am not.
This is pretty much how I feel. Days thinks they can bring back characters without writing a good story to go along with it and they just expect people to care. If this is the best they can do then this is just sad. I'm supposed to be compelled to watch, none of this leaves me wanting more, instead it just leaves me wanting for this show to be put out if its misery. :shame:
Quote Post Goto Top

Safensane

Dreamer
Since Nicole's baby died... I guess nobody cares about the paternity switching results....not even Salem University Hospital... seems like they too are turning a blind eye... on the good doctor and Nicole as they duped the real father out of knowing it was his baby. Forgive and forget.....goes a long way in soapland. How does Daniel come out of this smelling like a rose? Should he not be reprimanded for his actions or behaviour?
Seems like there's always a lot of forgiving and forgetting on all sides here.....more forgetting than anything else. Seems like the worst ones slide by with no reprimands at all..... just another day in Salem! :shrug: :drunk:

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

esp13
We've also had Kristen's manipulations (leading to her reveal)
Did I miss a Kristen reveal?

I just...can't, with the rest of this shit, sit through an entire episode. Even if it's only 30 minutes. I've been watching GH promos with people ripping off masks and reappearing from the dead dramatically and whatnot and I'm jealous. And I don't even know those characters.

Did something kick-ass happen with Kristen?

Lil
Member Avatar

lysie
Nov 13 2012, 08:28 AM
Doesn't sound that bad at all to me.
Me neither, actually. Surprisingly.

While Brady admits to his dad that Kristen may not be so bad after all, the DiMera gets Marlena alone and tells her how bad she really is.

This part especially :-)

Lil
Member Avatar

I'd also like to add...I hope this little reveal gives me a delicious Kristen "Mar-LAYYYY-Nuh!" finally LOL

michelle
Member Avatar

rpmaluki
Nov 13 2012, 07:09 AM
I am still trying to figure out where this Jarlena/Bristen thing is going.
to hell in a handbasket?

michelle
Member Avatar

For me the problem is this, though I LIKE the John/Marlena/Kristen story (kind of), Marlena DOES have the right to act crazy/paranoid about Kristen because of their past. And JOHN should be more understanding of this. CAUSE THE DUMMY WAS THERE! Change shmange, Marlena has the right to hate and not forgive/not accept Kristen for the rest of her freaking life.

WilSon story is fine.

Gabi and Nick and pregnancy. I just don't give a fuck. I have tried. But I hate the character of Gabi with the fire of 100 billion republicans, I mean suns. I HATE that this is going to be Will's kid. I HATE that this will tie Gabi to Will forever. If I could fall to the ground and throw a tantrum over this stupid, predictable, story, I would.

Jen forgiving Nicole and Nicole being pathetic/crazy. I HATE JENNIFER/DANIEL/NICOLE TOGETHER.

Brady and Kristen? Ugh. Not what I had in mind.

Where is my EJ????? Good lord, can't their be a happy medium on this damn show? There is STILL no balance.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

michelle
Nov 13 2012, 12:53 PM
For me the problem is this, though I LIKE the John/Marlena/Kristen story (kind of), Marlena DOES have the right to act crazy/paranoid about Kristen because of their past. And JOHN should be more understanding of this. CAUSE THE DUMMY WAS THERE! Change shmange, Marlena has the right to hate and not forgive/not accept Kristen for the rest of her freaking life.
Exactly. It's not just that John is acting stupid, but this is out of character, because John has ALWAYS been quick to believe Marlena's word above all (Hello, Possession much?).

Tammy
Member Avatar

Why do I get the feeling we are going to see flashbacks of Kristen actually setting these things up that Marlena has accused her of? Such as Kristen stealing Marlena's phone, Kristen paying that kid or her mom to have the bike accident, Kristen stalking John.

I just want a good ole Kristen and Marlena FIGHT!!! :fight:

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Lil
Nov 13 2012, 12:05 PM
I'd also like to add...I hope this little reveal gives me a delicious Kristen "Mar-LAYYYY-Nuh!" finally LOL
Word!

Tammy, I hope so, because it'd be classic Kritter :)

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

esp13

Along this same line, I realized that the sweeps preview wasn't really a preview for the sweeps' month like it has been in the past. Most of the stuff covered in the preview is actually winter storylines that happen to be kicking off the final two weeks of sweeps. So sweeps this year is really more launching of storylines than the conclusion of them.

lysie
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Nov 13 2012, 02:17 PM
esp13

Along this same line, I realized that the sweeps preview wasn't really a preview for the sweeps' month like it has been in the past. Most of the stuff covered in the preview is actually winter storylines that happen to be kicking off the final two weeks of sweeps. So sweeps this year is really more launching of storylines than the conclusion of them.
I'm not hating the show right now, though "enjoying" isn't really correct either, but I think this was probably a good decision this year. Between the election, storms, and regime change, this wasn't the time to do yet another big stunt. Especially since there have been at least 3 big stunts in the last year.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

lysie
Nov 13 2012, 02:21 PM
tomsawyer
Nov 13 2012, 02:17 PM
esp13

I'm not hating the show right now, though "enjoying" isn't really correct either, but I think this was probably a good decision this year. Between the election, storms, and regime change, this wasn't the time to do yet another big stunt. Especially since there have been at least 3 big stunts in the last year.
and amazingly the show is holding it's ratings and actually improving the last two weeks over last years numbers. It proves that during sweeps you really don't need much of anything to have success and you don't need huge stunts to get fans to watch. We got back to 'events' over 'story lines'..you write a good storyline and viewers will tune in..you write an event, they might tune in for that event, but it's very unlikely they will stay too long after the event is over.

NicoleLVR

This is by far one of the worst November sweeps ever for DAYS. I mean for some reason DAYS has just been a mess this year with all of their sweeps. All three of them have been nothing but let downs, but then again DAYS has been a let-down all year so I can't seem surprised that they would somehow manage to get anything on track for atleast a month.

concerned
Member Avatar

esp13
Nov 13 2012, 11:19 AM
Dreamer
University Hospital doesn't know about the switch. They might know that the results were wrong, but they don't know how that happened. EJ agreed not to bring any kind of charges against Daniel. As far as I know, Jen hasn't told anybody about Daniel switching the results of the paternity test. So, he comes out smelling like a rose for the same reason Nicole doesn't go to jail. Somebody decided not to report them/press charges.
Well I wonder what Nurse Maxine will have to say about it when the truth comes out.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

concerned
Nov 13 2012, 05:52 PM
esp13
Dreamer
Well I wonder what Nurse Maxine will have to say about it when the truth comes out.
I'm pretty sure the truth is as out as it is going to be. And it has nothing to do with Maxine being angry at Jennifer because of Nicole framing her.

Dreamer
Gone, But Not Forgotten!

concerned
Nov 13 2012, 05:52 PM
esp13
Dreamer
I bet she already knows..... Daniel's probably done her 'favors' just to make sure she keeps her mouth shut.

annie21

esp13

I agree that sweeps don't have to be about spectacle. But they are about increasing ratings and boosting advertiser rates. That means sweeps should be about capturing the attention of new viewers and luring back former viewers. GH seems to be getting that now and they're seeing results. However, other than the highly touted blip of an increase last week -- mostly attributable to the one-day bump for PR's departure episode, Days hasn't done much. And they don't give me a sense that they're even trying that hard.

As a former dedicated viewer who would like to be able to enjoy the show again, I feel this writing regime hasn't done anything this month to pull me back in. It's not that there aren't things happening. But the writing is so shallow and weak. Emotional beats are skipped or rushed. The POV and focal points of the story are off. Missed opportunities abound.

Maybe after the overly-hyped reboot last year, the show has decided to be low-key and downplay sweeps. But whatever their so-called strategy, assuming they have one, it's not producing markedly better results. Imo, a tenth of a percentage point here or there is not worth issuing press releases about. And it only shows how low the bar is for TPTB. They've basically given up on drawing in viewers in large numbers. To me, these lacklustre spoilers mean that it's all about running out whatever clock they've got left . The show's lack of effort to try for anything more reveals that.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply