Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Episode # 8067 (6/24/97) will air on Friday 11/23!; UPDATE: 3 minutes CUT from Friday's airing (for 3 more minutes of ads)
Topic Started: Nov 6 2012, 11:02 PM (7,154 Views)
Sparrow

TPTB are making a huge mistake in showing us how fun and entertaining this show used to be. OMG... the costumes! It's so depressing. Poor, poor show.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Kenny
Member Avatar

Sparrow
Nov 15 2012, 02:02 PM
TPTB are making a huge mistake in showing us how fun and entertaining this show used to be.
I think the mistake is not picking an episode in which Kristen and Marlena are awake, LoL. This episode, while entertaining, doesn't give us the meat and potatoes of the story. It's more of a setup for the real climax that happened in the following episodes -- after Kristen and Marlena woke up.

lysie
Member Avatar

Kenny
Nov 15 2012, 02:06 PM
Sparrow
TPTB are making a huge mistake in showing us how fun and entertaining this show used to be.
I think the mistake is not picking an episode in which Kristen and Marlena are awake, LoL. This episode, while entertaining, doesn't give us the meat and potatoes of the story. It's more of a setup for the real climax that happened in the following episodes -- after Kristen and Marlena woke up.
I think I'd prefer the actual fight/John sleeps with Susan.

Mean, Mean, Mean!
Member Avatar

I'm wondering if they are showing this ep, the setup, because of not having hockey of 1/1/13, and on that day they will show us the actual climax. That's what I'm hoping anyway. Also hoping so much that they keep the whole theme!

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Kenny
Sparrow
Seriously. John tells Kristen he wants to believe that she couldn't do something like that... but that Marlena would never lie and that if she says that's the truth, then he believes her... It would even relate to the story now. AND it would end with a cliffhanger (Kristen pulling the gun on J&M), which could maybe get people excited for the show.

Jason47
Member Avatar

Nielsen Ratings charts, interviews, recaps & more now available...Get caught up with what was happening in Salem back in June 1997!

http://www.jason47.com/days/classicdays1123.html

Sparrow

Kenny
Sparrow
I am grateful, then. If they were showing one of those really, really great episodes you mentioned, I might have to jump out a window or something. Still, watching that clip reminded me just how much fun this show used to be to watch. During this era, I was fresh out of high school, just starting college, and working at Sears. The lady in the electronics department used to put Days on every day on one of the huge big screens (as big a screen as they had at the time), and most of the ladies would gather around to watch. There was a meaty story complete with twists and turns, just the right amount of camp (having enough of a sense of humor to playfully poke fun of itself goes a long, long way in this genre in my book). TV has just changed so much in the past decade and a half that we might never see that kind of daytime again. And that is really sad, but c'est la vie. *sigh* I might have to go find that window now after all.

am103
Member Avatar

I can't wait to see this! Susan's teeth landing in Vivian's glass is one of my favorite Days moments ever!

Jason47
Member Avatar

Episode # 8067:
Original Timings for June 24, 1997 Broadcast:

TEASER ACT (7:25)
OPENING TITLE (:32)
ACT ONE (4:15)
ACT TWO (3:29)
ACT THREE (7:13)
HOURGLASS INSERT (:14)
ACT FOUR (3:54)
ACT FIVE (3:48)
ACT SIX (3:32)
ACT SEVEN (5:23)
END CREDITS (:30)
PRODUCTION LOGO TAG (:3)
END TAG (:5)

COMMERCIAL/PROMO CONTENT:
POSITION # 1: 2:30
POSITION # 2: 3:00
POSITION # 3: 2:00
POSITION # 4: 2:24
POSITION # 5: 3:03
POSITION # 6: 2:30
POSITION # 7: 2:30

TOTAL ACTS CONTENT: 38:59
TITLE/HOURGLASS/CREDITS/LOGO/END TAG: 1:24
"DAYS" CONTENT TOTAL: 40:23
COMMERCIAL/PROMO CONTENT TOTAL: 17:57

CURRENT TIMINGS FOR 2012 EPISODES:

TOTAL ACTS CONTENT: 36:22
TITLE/CREDITS/LOGOS: :52
"DAYS" CONTENT TOTAL: 37:14
COMMERCIAL/PROMO CONTENT TOTAL: 21:12

1997 VS. 2012...WHICH TIMINGS WILL WIN OUT ON FRIDAY 11/23???
36:22 nowadays for each episode vs. 38:59 (not including the "extras" of title/credits/etc)... Will NBC let "Days" air an extra 2 minutes, 37 seconds on Friday 11/23....that's a lot of commercials lost. Or will they edit out around 2 minutes 30 seconds so they air their normal amount of commercials??

Jason47
Member Avatar

Forgot to add...

The script writer for this episode is Dorothy Ann Purser.

Dorothy Ann Purser was the script editor for "Days" from October 1992-February 1997. From February 1997-September 2001, Purser was a breakdown writer for the show. During this time span, she also wrote some scripts herself, this being one of them.

Edited by Jason47, Nov 15 2012, 05:05 PM.

ohgreatone22
Member Avatar

Thanks for the info Jason. Seeing those Nielsen ratings made me sad because there were 11 soaps back then, and now there are only 4. Plus they got ratings of 5's, 6's and 7's, TV shows these days (daytime and primetime) don't even get that anymore.

annie21

Thanks, Jason. Hey, I have a question for you. You've mentioned several times about the Marty Davich era pre-1993. I gather that his music was copyrighted, and thus they'd have to pay him royalties for showing episodes from that time. Does that apply to clips too, or just full episodes? Also, is it really that much more expensive that it would never be an option for the show to broadcast pre-1993 episodes? Or is it more the case that perhaps there is bad blood between Corday and Davich? After all, Corday quickly installed himself as part of the music team around that same time. Just wondering what's the scoop.

CoronaDays
Member Avatar

Thanks for all the info and stats Jason.

I'm really looking forward to watching this episode, especially on my HD TV, lol. Fortunately I do have every episode from May 1997-December 1997 but the quality isn't the best. 1997 is my favourite "Days" year. I

Jason47
Member Avatar

annie21
Nov 15 2012, 07:36 PM
Thanks, Jason. Hey, I have a question for you. You've mentioned several times about the Marty Davich era pre-1993. I gather that his music was copyrighted, and thus they'd have to pay him royalties for showing episodes from that time. Does that apply to clips too, or just full episodes? Also, is it really that much more expensive that it would never be an option for the show to broadcast pre-1993 episodes? Or is it more the case that perhaps there is bad blood between Corday and Davich? After all, Corday quickly installed himself as part of the music team around that same time. Just wondering what's the scoop.

There's no bad blood, just a lack of money. Music union does pretty well with their royalties, so it's hard to air older episodes. Definitely not any episode with non-Days music, back when they would use popular songs of the day, Holding Out for a Hero for Bo, etc... Corday didn't insert himself. He was hired by Linda Line, the music director at the time. That was his first paying role with the show. Before that he was an intern who would get coffee, etc...

This is extra money not scheduled in the budget, since this episode only became necessary once the Presidential News Conference did not preempt the show yesterday. They were probably hoping it would preempt it, that's why they probably didn't announce the details of the episode until late last night, after the preemption didn't happen. Now it's more budget to spend for this "extra" episode which didn't exist until yesterday.

JtSmarts
Member Avatar

Thanks for the wealth of information Jason. Wow at that Riley interview, the man knew how to structure a story and deliver an amazing payoff. The lack of raised stakes is definitely a huge problem for Dool at the moment.

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Matt
Nov 15 2012, 11:38 AM
Personally, I would've liked to have seen something even more vintage. Like Mickey losing his mind & shooting Bill. Or the uber-classic Bo saving Hope from her wedding to Larry Welch (complete with Howie Hoffstedder under the wedding veil). Hell, I would've LOVE some Cruise of Deception. But this will do.
Yeah I would love to have seen something from 1965-1980 as I feel those years are always neglected whenever it comes to clips and stuff like that on NBC and Sony's sites. Alot of the 80s to present time can be found on Youtube or tape trading sites. I'm not complaing or anything, the episode from 1997 is a great one and it will be nice to see it in good quality but still.

Also about the music thing. When they show flashbacks we can still hear Marty's music, so why can't they show older episodes if they can show older flashbacks? And didn't Marty start as music composer in 1979 or something? So episodes before that shouldn't have that problem, no?

Jason47
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Nov 15 2012, 11:49 PM
Also about the music thing. When they show flashbacks we can still hear Marty's music, so why can't they show older episodes if they can show older flashbacks? And didn't Marty start as music composer in 1979 or something? So episodes before that shouldn't have that problem, no?
And for those small clips they have to pay Marty, who knows how much. Imagine that not just for a 10-second clip, but for an entire 40-minute episode!

I was just using Marty as an example, if it's pre-1979, then the other composers would come into play. They pretty much only used Albertine/Boyce/Hart/Mann music which was composed back in the 1960's for everything through 1978 or so. I'm not a "music clearance" expert, so I don't know how much these things cost. I can only use as an example the figure of $50,000 that they wanted to use for Alice's funeral, just to use one verse of "Always", that's why it wasn't played at her funeral in 2010. They had planned a really nice flashback tribute to "Always" for her last goodbye, but instead inserted some different clips and used an instrumental music theme playing over them. They finally came through when they had that "big budget" week in September 2011 reboot and let Bill & Susan Hayes sing not one, but several verses of "Always", so that could have cost $100,000 for that alone!
Edited by Jason47, Nov 16 2012, 01:14 AM.

annie21

Jason47
Nov 15 2012, 10:12 PM
annie21
Nov 15 2012, 07:36 PM

There's no bad blood, just a lack of money. Music union does pretty well with their royalties, so it's hard to air older episodes. Definitely not any episode with non-Days music, back when they would use popular songs of the day, Holding Out for a Hero for Bo, etc... Corday didn't insert himself. He was hired by Linda Line, the music director at the time. That was his first paying role with the show. Before that he was an intern who would get coffee, etc...

This is extra money not scheduled in the budget, since this episode only became necessary once the Presidential News Conference did not preempt the show yesterday. They were probably hoping it would preempt it, that's why they probably didn't announce the details of the episode until late last night, after the preemption didn't happen. Now it's more budget to spend for this "extra" episode which didn't exist until yesterday.

Thanks, Jason. I wasn't referring to when KC first got started, but was talking specifically about 1993 when Davich left. By then, Corday had been producer since 1982 and Executive Producer since 1985. He is listed as having won a daytime emmy for Musical Composition and Direction in 1990 -- an honor he shared with Davich and one other. So what I meant was that Corday was involving himself more and more in the music side of things. I've always felt that either Davich himself didn't like the situation or he was told to leave.

But, hey, Davich went on to much bigger and better things, so good for him.

Jason47
Member Avatar

annie21
Nov 16 2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks, Jason. I wasn't referring to when KC first got started, but was talking specifically about 1993 when Davich left. By then, Corday had been producer since 1982 and Executive Producer since 1985. He is listed as having won a daytime emmy for Musical Composition and Direction in 1990 -- an honor he shared with Davich and one other. So what I meant was that Corday was involving himself more and more in the music side of things. I've always felt that either Davich himself didn't like the situation or he was told to leave.
Corday was always heavily involved with the music, that's his first love. He's been a composer at "Days" since they first started using new music cues in the late 1970's. That's what Linda Line hired him for, to write new background music for the show. They didn't have much of a music department until Corday joined the show. They would use just popular music once in awhile and for background music it was all the music cues written back in the 1960's by Charles Albertine and Barry Mann. Marty started just around the same time in 1977 as the on-camera piano player, but he wasn't listed as a music composer until 1982.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

The true irony is now they use TOO much background music. lol

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply