Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Wednesday, November 14th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Nov 13 2012, 03:00 PM (7,884 Views)
bomber
Member Avatar

nolagirl
Nov 14 2012, 12:32 PM
LuvingLumi
Nov 14 2012, 12:05 PM
nolagirl
Nov 14 2012, 11:48 AM
LucasHortonFan
Nov 13 2012, 10:21 PM
cant some priests marry these days? What is the big deal? Its a soap. Haven't priests fallen before? Just don't make him fall for nothing, that would get me really mad!
Minister's can marry not priest - the Catholic Religion does not allow it. As a Catholic I find this whole premise insulting, to have Eric give up his belief's so he can have a relationship with Nicole is low, they are again setting Nicole up as the manipulating bitch to mock. If they had chosen a religion where he as a minister is allowed marriage it would have been fine. But as usual they think it's not a big deal, having a priest shirtless and in a sexual situation. Well sorry not all of us want to see this kind of story depicted, pick on another religion and see the out cry. If they truly wanted Eric and Nicole as a couple they shouldn't have made him a priest.
You know there have been real cases of Catholic priests that have had relationships (and even children) with women (here is one example: http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/05/28/us-usa-priest-idUSTRE54R70020090528) , who then went on to convert and they were able to marry in their new religion and continue to serve God.

If Eric was shown not to love Nicole EVER then I can see what you were saying and even then, priests are human, they commit sins like everyone else, they CAN fall in love and have. IMHO it's a very good story to tell, very soapy and something that can touch on realism. My preference would be that they tell this story as Eric after years of feeling empty and not finding anyone who he can love as much as Nicole decided to embrace God. It gave him comfort and helped him move on with his life. Now he's back and realizes he never stopped loving Nicole and seeking God was only a way to have him forget her and it never worked. He then has to deal with not only the re-emergence of his feelings for Nicole but also his betrayal of God and the church.
Likie I said pick another religion, Catholic's are always USED for this kind of story. So in your soapy story he has to give up his TRUE religion and chose another so he can screw Nicole. Sorry again as a Catholic I find it repulsive, I don't appreciate my religion being used like this. But then again I guess some find it all soapy and want to tune in for it obviously, but then that's a topic for a whole other board - there is an old saying NEVER talk Politics or Religion it can be a very touchy subject. So if as a Catholic I don't appreciate my religion being used excuse me. :shame:
I do get your point nolagirl but, to be honest, it's not that unusual for a young to join the priesthood and then fall in love with a woman and struggle to decide between the two. I personally know three guys who have left the priesthood to get married. Of course, because it takes about six years to train, they usually work out their woman issues during their seinary training years, which brings up another point. An important part of priest training is spending time with family and friends and working through past issues to make sure you are not just running away from your problems. How did Eric become a priest without returning to Salem and discussing it with his family?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nolagirl
Member Avatar

esp13
Nov 14 2012, 12:38 PM
nolagirl
LuvingLumi
nolagirl

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
You know there have been real cases of Catholic priests that have had relationships (and even children) with women (here is one example: http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/05/28/us-usa-priest-idUSTRE54R70020090528) , who then went on to convert and they were able to marry in their new religion and continue to serve God.

If Eric was shown not to love Nicole EVER then I can see what you were saying and even then, priests are human, they commit sins like everyone else, they CAN fall in love and have. IMHO it's a very good story to tell, very soapy and something that can touch on realism. My preference would be that they tell this story as Eric after years of feeling empty and not finding anyone who he can love as much as Nicole decided to embrace God. It gave him comfort and helped him move on with his life. Now he's back and realizes he never stopped loving Nicole and seeking God was only a way to have him forget her and it never worked. He then has to deal with not only the re-emergence of his feelings for Nicole but also his betrayal of God and the church.
Likie I said pick another religion, Catholic's are always USED for this kind of story. So in your soapy story he has to give up his TRUE religion and chose another so he can screw Nicole. Sorry again as a Catholic I find it repulsive, I don't appreciate my religion being used like this. But then again I guess some find it all soapy and want to tune in for it obviously, but then that's a topic for a whole other board - there is an old saying NEVER talk Politics or Religion it can be a very touchy subject. So if as a Catholic I don't appreciate my religion being used excuse me. :shame:
He doesn't have to give up his religion. He would have to give up the priesthood, but he wouldn't have to stop being Catholic to be involved with Nicole.
Yes he can stay Catholic and give up his preisthood, BUT in turn Nicole turns into the woman who manipulated a priest by the good people of Salem. Sorry not a storyline I find appealing but then I really haven't had one that did fall into that catergory for about 5 years now.

nolagirl
Member Avatar

bomber
Nov 14 2012, 01:04 PM
nolagirl
LuvingLumi
nolagirl

I do get your point nolagirl but, to be honest, it's not that unusual for a young to join the priesthood and then fall in love with a woman and struggle to decide between the two. I personally know three guys who have left the priesthood to get married. Of course, because it takes about six years to train, they usually work out their woman issues during their seinary training years, which brings up another point. An important part of priest training is spending time with family and friends and working through past issues to make sure you are not just running away from your problems. How did Eric become a priest without returning to Salem and discussing it with his family?
I'm sure they'll gloss over that and make it as they've stayed in touch or somehow the family went to him Sami probably jetted over for a few session's while we were watching her the past years. I just think that for me personally touching on religion especially in these times should be taboo.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

nolagirl
LucasHortonFan
cant some priests marry these days? What is the big deal? Its a soap. Haven't priests fallen before? Just don't make him fall for nothing, that would get me really mad!
Minister's can marry not priest - the Catholic Religion does not allow it. As a Catholic I find this whole premise insulting, to have Eric give up his belief's so he can have a relationship with Nicole is low, they are again setting Nicole up as the manipulating bitch to mock. If they had chosen a religion where he as a minister is allowed marriage it would have been fine. But as usual they think it's not a big deal, having a priest shirtless and in a sexual situation. Well sorry not all of us want to see this kind of story depicted, pick on another religion and see the out cry. If they truly wanted Eric and Nicole as a couple they shouldn't have made him a priest.
Priests are human beings too, though, and struggle with these things.

Days did a story like this in a lot of ways with Mike and Robin. She wasn't ordained in any way, but they portrayed her as having very strong Jewish beliefs that she compromised to have a love affair with Mike Horton.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

I was gonna say... how was that unprofessional? Marlena and Nicole's history is vast. Eric alone is reason, but there's also John/Ava (Nicole encouraged Ava to go after John knowing full well that Marlena was trying to save him from himself), kidnapping her granddaughter. I mean, I love Nicole despite all of it, but Marlena does have reasons not to like Nicole, let alone treat her as a patient. Then again, Marlena's treated people she shouldn't be treating many times.

Kenny
Member Avatar

Well... the show made it to 32 minutes before NBC broke in.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

bomber
An important part of priest training is spending time with family and friends and working through past issues to make sure you are not just running away from your problems. How did Eric become a priest without returning to Salem and discussing it with his family?
They worked through all their past issues via Skype.

nolagirl
Member Avatar

granolagirl
Nov 14 2012, 01:23 PM
nolagirl
LucasHortonFan

Days did a story like this in a lot of ways with Mike and Robin. She wasn't ordained in any way, but they portrayed her as having very strong Jewish beliefs that she compromised to have a love affair with Mike Horton.
Jewish believe that a Rabbi is supposed to get married, Catholic Priset are NOT. It boils down to a religious aspect where as a viewer I find unacceptable to use in a soap where they no longer have love stories or soul mates they have hook-ups and insta pairings for a priest to leave under those circumstances IS NOT Acceptable.

annie21

LuvingLumi
Nov 14 2012, 12:41 PM
nolagirl
LuvingLumi
nolagirl

I'm a catholic too, but you know what I can deal with this as opposed to other stories Days has tried to sell over the years that truly make absolutely no sense.

On the Eric religion thing...when was it his true religion? Why does he have to give it up? He can stop being a priest and continue being Catholic. And why did he pick to become a priest to begin with? What circumstances lead to him making that decision and why? All these questions haven't been answered yet because the story is barely starting but if his ultimate excuse for 'finding God' was that he couldn't get Nicole out of his system, and only did it by becoming a Catholic priest then IMHO I can deal with that.

Maybe it's because I've always loved Eric and Nicole and I've been a fan of them since the very beginning that I'm looking forward to this story being told. It's gives the relationship a truly forbidden love type of feel and one that doesn't make me want to throw up. Maybe it's because I think it has potential, not that I can believe that TomSell will do it justice, but that is another story.
I think your last sentence is key. Yes, this story could have potential if written with care and sensitivity -- and a flare for drama -- but the big problem is this writing team and their executives. They manage to get a few scenes right here and there (e.g., Bo and Caroline or Will and Sonny), but it's like they're giving the bare minimum that they have to before they rush onto something else.

In general, since TomSell's return, the show has made a sudden shift into religious territory and it's not just Eric the Priest. It's also Nick the Reformed Inmate, John the Deacon (or whatever), Kristen the Devout and Pious, and Jennifer the Church Lady. Part of me wonders whether this is an attempt on the part of the show to appease religious viewers who may be upset over the gay storyline. (Judging by the Days FB page, there are quite a few.) For example, maybe they think having Gabi choose to keep her baby after talking it over with her priest will offset any controversy. But if they somehow think that the story of a priest being seduced out of his collar and robe by an old girlfriend is the way to reach out to their religious viewers, they are laughably off-track.

Another part of me just thinks they're cynically trying to recycle stories from the 90s (which was in a totally different political/religious climate) and they don't give a flip about what viewers think.

Bottom line: I don't trust this regime to do it justice.

lysie
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Nov 14 2012, 01:51 PM
bomber
An important part of priest training is spending time with family and friends and working through past issues to make sure you are not just running away from your problems. How did Eric become a priest without returning to Salem and discussing it with his family?
Do we know yet that his family doesn't know he's a priest?

nolagirl
Member Avatar

annie21
Nov 14 2012, 01:55 PM
LuvingLumi
Nov 14 2012, 12:41 PM
nolagirl
LuvingLumi

Quoting limited to 4 levels deephttp://www.reuters.com/article/2009/05/28/us-usa-priest-idUSTRE54R70020090528) , who then went on to convert and they were able to marry in their new religion and continue to serve God.

I'm a catholic too, but you know what I can deal with this as opposed to other stories Days has tried to sell over the years that truly make absolutely no sense.

On the Eric religion thing...when was it his true religion? Why does he have to give it up? He can stop being a priest and continue being Catholic. And why did he pick to become a priest to begin with? What circumstances lead to him making that decision and why? All these questions haven't been answered yet because the story is barely starting but if his ultimate excuse for 'finding God' was that he couldn't get Nicole out of his system, and only did it by becoming a Catholic priest then IMHO I can deal with that.

Maybe it's because I've always loved Eric and Nicole and I've been a fan of them since the very beginning that I'm looking forward to this story being told. It's gives the relationship a truly forbidden love type of feel and one that doesn't make me want to throw up. Maybe it's because I think it has potential, not that I can believe that TomSell will do it justice, but that is another story.
I think your last sentence is key. Yes, this story could have potential if written with care and sensitivity -- and a flare for drama -- but the big problem is this writing team and their executives. They manage to get a few scenes right here and there (e.g., Bo and Caroline or Will and Sonny), but it's like they're giving the bare minimum that they have to before they rush onto something else.

In general, since TomSell's return, the show has made a sudden shift into religious territory and it's not just Eric the Priest. It's also Nick the Reformed Inmate, John the Deacon (or whatever), Kristen the Devout and Pious, and Jennifer the Church Lady. Part of me wonders whether this is an attempt on the part of the show to appease religious viewers who may be upset over the gay storyline. (Judging by the Days FB page, there are quite a few.) For example, maybe they think having Gabi choose to keep her baby after talking it over with her priest will offset any controversy. But if they somehow think that the story of a priest being seduced out of his collar and robe by an old girlfriend is the way to reach out to their religious viewers, they are laughably off-track.

Another part of me just thinks they're cynically trying to recycle stories from the 90s (which was in a totally different political/religious climate) and they don't give a flip about what viewers think.

Bottom line: I don't trust this regime to do it justice.

But if they somehow think that the story of a priest being seduced out of his collar and robe by an old girlfriend is the way to reach out to their religious viewers, they are laughably off-track.

EXACTLY :hail: :hail:

lysie
Member Avatar

nolagirl
Nov 14 2012, 01:52 PM
granolagirl
Nov 14 2012, 01:23 PM
nolagirl
LucasHortonFan

Jewish believe that a Rabbi is supposed to get married, Catholic Priset are NOT. It boils down to a religious aspect where as a viewer I find unacceptable to use in a soap where they no longer have love stories or soul mates they have hook-ups and insta pairings for a priest to leave under those circumstances IS NOT Acceptable.
This hasn't even happened yet and we don't know that it's going to. Discuss today's show.

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

lysie
Nov 14 2012, 02:03 PM
tomsawyer
Nov 14 2012, 01:51 PM
bomber
Do we know yet that his family doesn't know he's a priest?
I think they know. In today's DA, when Sami first saw Eric, she said she's not going to call him father, making it seem like she already knew. I got the sense from the DA that he's a very new priest.

LonePirate
Member Avatar

Since neither Will or Sonny talked about having safe sex, will one of them contract an STD or become pregnant? I do not put anything past this crazy show.

That sex scene was incredibly tame. Maybe someone thought the show would be daring enough just by showing two television-naked guys in bed sharing the afterglow and canoodling. Last year's EJ and Sami grief sex was more graphic as was Will and Gabi's recent fling. Speaking of that fling, Will seemed far more into the sex with Gabi than with Sonny. I place the blame for that squarely on CM. FS was selling the scenes as much as possible but CM almost looked bored and disinterested. Maybe it was nerves or pressure on his part but he definitely does not share FS's anything goes attitude and approach to their scenes. Maybe he will improve the next time, assuming there is a next time now that the precedent has been set.

JtSmarts
Member Avatar

In today's newly created flashback Eric told Nicole he hit his father. I found the scene that this was in reference too.
Fauxman is punched around 2:13, I tried to see if the flashback was based on a scene that actually aired with Jensen but was unsuccessful.

michr544125

No way did I see today as tame for Will and Sonny. These are two guys and DOOL showed more between Will and Sonny than any other two guys I have seen on any show. I thought Chandler and Freddie did a fabulous job. To me this was the complete opposite of what happened between Will and Gabi. That was purely sex. What happened today between Will and Sonny was about more than just sex. They way Will and Sonny lied in bed afterward was so nicely done. Sure, i would have loved to see some action under the sheets but I don't think it was needed to make the love scene seem real. I thought it was a beautiful love scene. Too bad more couples aren't shown like this instead of it coming across as skanky sex.

Sami knowing Gabi is pregnant means the whole world will know. Though bet most people will assume it's Nicks. Why do I get this feeling Will is going even let Nick pretend he's the father. It't like Gabi can hide it from Nick because she's too far along to convince him it his is child.
Edited by michr544125, Nov 14 2012, 02:55 PM.

Kevc1980
Member Avatar

LonePirate
Nov 14 2012, 02:17 PM
Since neither Will or Sonny talked about having safe sex, will one of them contract an STD or become pregnant? I do not put anything past this crazy show.

That sex scene was incredibly tame. Maybe someone thought the show would be daring enough just by showing two television-naked guys in bed sharing the afterglow and canoodling. Last year's EJ and Sami grief sex was more graphic as was Will and Gabi's recent fling. Speaking of that fling, Will seemed far more into the sex with Gabi than with Sonny. I place the blame for that squarely on CM. FS was selling the scenes as much as possible but CM almost looked bored and disinterested. Maybe it was nerves or pressure on his part but he definitely does not share FS's anything goes attitude and approach to their scenes. Maybe he will improve the next time, assuming there is a next time now that the precedent has been set.
You thought that was tame? Are you serious. That was more kissing than anything I've seen on US primetime tv. Also, I was surprised to see them lying shirtless in bed and cuddled up. This wouldn't have aired 10 years ago.

King
Member Avatar

I was really digging the episode before it got preempted.

Except I *HATE* recreated flashbacks. (Eric/Nicole.)

The only time I ever liked it is when they did it with Peter Reckell when he first returned and took over from RKK.

King
Member Avatar

I thought it was really hot.

Sonny kissing Will's nipple/chest...woof woof! So hot.

michr544125

King
Nov 14 2012, 02:50 PM
I thought it was really hot.

Sonny kissing Will's nipple/chest...woof woof! So hot.
The nipple kissing was beyond hot! And the caressing of each other and them naked bodies lying there with just a bit of the sheets draped around them was more incredible. I've never seen anything like that on tv before between two men.
Edited by michr544125, Nov 14 2012, 02:55 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply