Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thursday, November 15th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Nov 14 2012, 02:33 PM (7,291 Views)
lumifan4life

DrewHamilton
Nov 15 2012, 07:29 PM
Bright Eyes
Nov 15 2012, 06:37 PM
BalscoFan5
Nov 15 2012, 06:34 PM
"Older sister",Sami,you and Eric are twins,your like a minute older.
That gave me a :blink: face, too.
I thought it was cute. I know many twins that throw that few minutes into their "younger" twins face.
Exactly it's natural for twins to argue about who's older, even if it's only by a minute.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

concerned
Member Avatar

Glad to see Rafe is being consistant.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

AFaithL

Ok I have to say Marlena/Brady's mother-son chemistry is way, way, way stronger than Marlena/Eric's chemistry. Of course, Marlena/Will's was the strongest of all, but she definitely has more chemistry with Brady than Eric.

JtSmarts
Member Avatar

When Nicole said to Eric "after all this time you still care" and she walked away, that really got to me. I love AZ!

JtSmarts
Member Avatar

AFaithL
Nov 15 2012, 08:45 PM
Ok I have to say Marlena/Brady's mother-son chemistry is way, way, way stronger than Marlena/Eric's chemistry. Of course, Marlena/Will's was the strongest of all, but she definitely has more chemistry with Brady than Eric.
That actually kind of makes sense considering the time Marlena spent raising Eric vs Brady. (2000-2001 period being ignored)

Romancer66

annie21
Nov 15 2012, 03:40 PM
esp13
Nov 14 2012, 11:17 PM
I don't really think the Daniel/Jen stuff is moving too fast. I could buy that if Jennifer and Daniel had not had a relationship prior to Jack's return. And I might even buy it if there had been a real break-up between Jennifer and Daniel when Jack did return. But there wasn't. However much people might hate it, it was written in a particular way -- namely that Daniel backed off and Jen decided to make things work with Jack. But it was never written that Jennifer stopped caring about Daniel or that he stopped caring about her.

So, now that Jack is gone, it's not surprising that the feelings are still there between Jennifer and Daniel. I understand people wanting to see Jen mourn Jack more, but he's already died several times, so it's not surprising to me that she can move through the grief quicker than most. And I don't think it's unreasonable that the people who know her best understand both of those things.

None of which is to say that they are a well-written or popular couple. Only that I don't find the whole thing that unbelievable.
I don't see many people saying it is unbelievable or surprising -- just repetitive and highly unlikable. Since about 2000, and earlier, the writers have basically done the same thing over and over -- remove Jack from the scene so Jennifer can be paired with someone else. I'm not the only fan of Jennifer to point out that this repeated path is damaging to the character because she never grows or changes. She never learns or pauses for self-reflection. She never explores any other emotional territory. More importantly, she never stands on her own -- it's always about pursuing some guy -- usually a doctor who on the surface is perfect but who has sleazy or even criminal tendencies. Even Brandon was an upstanding doctor who was involved with other women (including Nicole) while he was dating Jennifer. She has shown poor judgement before, and this time is no different because she's putting Daniel on a pedestal that he does not deserve.

So it's not surprising. But my complaints are two-fold. First, I'm tired of going through this same old routine of seeing a character I used to admire get dragged ever and ever lower, become less and less intelligent, and become more and more unlikeable because writers don't know what else to do with her except constantly place her in the exact same storyline over and over.

Second, the current story is one of the poorest attempts. It is trying to maintain that Jennifer is in mourning so Daniel is making this big sacrifice while everyone else in Salem nudges him toward her and says it's okay. It's all fake because we are not seeing Jennifer in mourning. She's basically ready to move on now -- as you say, the feelings we're told they had for each other apparently never went anywhere. So, since there's really nothing stopping them, why are they pretending that there is?

We all know what TomSell want to do here. There's no subtlety, no nuance. They're just going through a few shallow, rote motions. I just wish they would stop using Jack's name and image to get to where they're going. Because, as many of us have pointed out, the writers really didn't need to kill Jack off to put Dannifer back together again. As your arguments imply, the groundwork was already in place to do that. Having her decide to leave Jack to return to Daniel (or having Jack back out) would not have damaged Jennifer's character any more than the current story has done. So what was the point?

Wish I could like this post more than once! Because it deftly sums up all of my issues with Jackless Jen and how weak, shallow, fickle, and stupid she becomes with each repetition of this tired scenario. Exit Jack, through death or some other plot contrivance, enter Jen-Jen's new man at warp speed. A new man whom she feverishly and delusionally insists is perfect--although his actions and attitude show him to be anything but.

While not as villainous as Peter (whom we're apparently supposed to forget due to MR's little indiscretion) or Colin, Daniel is still one of the weakest and least appealing figures in her Generic Himbo brigade. And almost five years of relentless propping from other Salemites hasn't managed to transform him into an admirable or even memorable character. It's laughable that Jennifer could even consider putting their lightweight fling on a par with her 20-year relationship with Jack. Or that she would sacrifice her freedom to keep him from leaving town with another woman. At this rate, can a suicide attempt by the Horton princess--once she has lost the love of Daniel-Daniel-Daniel to Chloe or his next patient--be far behind? Regretfully, I might just be pulling for her to succeed in offing herself. It couldn't be worse than watching her enact this threadbare storyline for the umpteenth time.
Edited by Romancer66, Nov 15 2012, 11:55 PM.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

JtSmarts
Nov 15 2012, 09:35 PM
AFaithL
That actually kind of makes sense considering the time Marlena spent raising Eric vs Brady. (2000-2001 period being ignored)
That's actually true.

That said, I thought Eric and Marlena were superduper cute! Although, Marlena, we know you totally cheated on Roman in 1983, because there is no WAY that guy parading as your ex-husband is that hunk o'beef's father.

Courtneya6688
Member Avatar

Todays episode was one of the best ive seen in along time. I actually watched the whole thing. I loved the way that will supported gabi. I really wasnt ready for another baby story but this actually may be good i think. Eric and nicole was really good too. I can see that this is going to be good. I could have done without dannifer but all in all fabulous episode

JessicaLeigh
Member Avatar

The evolution of Will from total bratface a few months ago has been great. His unwavering support for Gabi when she told him was really impressive - he's a man now and he's acting like it. I just hope that Nick and Sonny know the truth before this spirals out of control and wrecks both pairs.

Will&Sonny

I guess I'm the only person who didn't find Sonny's comment insensitive. When I read the Day Ahead summary (and everyone's comments), I was prepared for it to sound insensitive, but I don't think that it came across that way at all.

From Sonny's perspective, Will entered the apartment at the end of the episode looking completely deflated. Sonny was simply putting things into perspective -- as far as he's aware, Gabi's problem isn't Will's problem, so Will doesn't need to beat himself up over it. Will was acting like it was his problem (because it is), and Sonny picked up on that.

Kate's not in a funk because Marlena's having problems with Kristen, Brady's not miserable because Nicole has just lost her child, Sonny didn't react nearly as badly as Will did [in this episode] when Abby lost Jack -- people can be supportive friends without letting their friends' problems sink them into a deep depression. I think that Sonny was just trying to remind Will of that.

Maybe my love for Will and Sonny is blinding me. :shrug:

The Scorpion
Member Avatar

It is a shame that the writers took Will away from EJ's orbit, the character was much more interesting when he had storylines with EJ! Furthermore, I see no chemistry between Will and Sonny and I find their story boring!

Honeybees
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
Nov 16 2012, 05:12 AM
I guess I'm the only person who didn't find Sonny's comment insensitive. When I read the Day Ahead summary (and everyone's comments), I was prepared for it to sound insensitive, but I don't think that it came across that way at all.

From Sonny's perspective, Will entered the apartment at the end of the episode looking completely deflated. Sonny was simply putting things into perspective -- as far as he's aware, Gabi's problem isn't Will's problem, so Will doesn't need to beat himself up over it. Will was acting like it was his problem (because it is), and Sonny picked up on that.

Kate's not in a funk because Marlena's having problems with Kristen, Brady's not miserable because Nicole has just lost her child, Sonny didn't react nearly as badly as Will did [in this episode] when Abby lost Jack -- people can be supportive friends without letting their friends' problems sink them into a deep depression. I think that Sonny was just trying to remind Will of that.

I think Nick is being set up as the villain here, albeit a complicated one. He's got a chip on his shoulder that looks pretty heavy, and not just because of his homophobia. Although, I do get that he'd be a little freaked to see Gabi in such an emotionally intimate scene with her ex-boyfriend, whom he thinks can be cured of or at least choose not to be gay.

And I didn't think Sonny was a jerk at all. He was more oblivious to the seriousness of the situation, and I think he'll kick himself for not seeing just how invested Will was. Of course, Sonny has no idea that Will slept with Gabi so recently, so he's going to be pretty gobsmacked by the news Will's going to be a daddy.

I do hope there will be a callback to Will (or rather Lucas's) concerns about Sonny's sexual history, when it's Will's that is about to bite everyone in the ass.

LonePirate
Member Avatar

Honeybees
Nov 16 2012, 06:57 AM
Of course, Sonny has no idea that Will slept with Gabi so recently, so he's going to be pretty gobsmacked by the news Will's going to be a daddy.

I do hope there will be a callback to Will (or rather Lucas's) concerns about Sonny's sexual history, when it's Will's that is about to bite everyone in the ass.
If the writers choose (or chose, given the current production timeline), to set it up, Sonny and several other characters, could be in store for a blindside of epic proportions. This baby could and should shock several Salemites, possibly on a magnitude matching or exceeding the grief sex bombshell last winter. I have never been of this story when it was first telegraphed months ago; however I am looking forward to seeing Lucas' head spin once he receives the news. That is going to be the highlight moment of this story now after Will's shocked expression upon learning the news. I am not looking forward to Sonny learning the truth, though. Soaps have a habit of delivering gut punches to its characters and it's his turn unfortunately, especially given how elated he has been this week.

Honeybees
Member Avatar

LonePirate
Nov 16 2012, 09:09 AM
Honeybees
Nov 16 2012, 06:57 AM
Of course, Sonny has no idea that Will slept with Gabi so recently, so he's going to be pretty gobsmacked by the news Will's going to be a daddy.

If the writers choose (or chose, given the current production timeline), to set it up, Sonny and several other characters, could be in store for a blindside of epic proportions. This baby could and should shock several Salemites, possibly on a magnitude matching or exceeding the grief sex bombshell last winter. I have never been of this story when it was first telegraphed months ago; however I am looking forward to seeing Lucas' head spin once he receives the news. That is going to be the highlight moment of this story now after Will's shocked expression upon learning the news. I am not looking forward to Sonny learning the truth, though. Soaps have a habit of delivering gut punches to its characters and it's his turn unfortunately, especially given how elated he has been this week.
Also, I think this story has a possibility to undermine some cliches. Gabi told Will. Will was awesome about it. When has that ever happened on a soap? The drama comes from the fact that they are both in love with other people and cannot and will not (I assume) get together for the sake of the child. So, the writers will have to look to that and the reactions of their respective partners and families for conflict.

esp13
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
Nov 16 2012, 05:12 AM

I agree with you. It played much better simply because Will was so clearly upset. It seemed obvious to me that Sonny was picking up on Will's distress and simply reminding him that Gabi's problems are (as far as Sonny knows) Gabi's problems and wanting Will to snap out of it. This is particularly true given that Will and Sonny were in the midst of the afterglow when Will left. I didn't find Sonny insensitive at all.

Aimikins
Member Avatar

AFaithL
Its only been one show! Give it time

LonePirate
Member Avatar

The Scorpion
Nov 16 2012, 06:27 AM
It is a shame that the writers took Will away from EJ's orbit, the character was much more interesting when he had storylines with EJ!
If by interesting you mean preposterous and completely out of character, then I might agree with you.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply