Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Monday , November 19th Daily Discussion
Topic Started: Nov 16 2012, 02:23 PM (5,969 Views)
esp13
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
Nov 20 2012, 11:09 AM
esp13
Nov 20 2012, 10:28 AM
I wanted to specfically note that I enjoyed the Hope/Abe/Kayla/kids scenes at the Pub. I feel like TomSell has done a much better job of adding these moments that bring some emotion to the show. I'd still prefer it if the scenes were a bit longer and had some deeper emotions, but at this point I'll take what I can get. The history and friendships between these characters means a lot and just having them interact in a natural way brings a depth and a familiarity to the show. They don't have to drive story to be important parts of the canvas and it's nice that the show might seem to be realizing this.
I agree. It'd be nice to see such scenes at least once a week, actually -- just one segment of scenes, once a week, that aren't the least-bit plot-driven, but still feature important characters having important discussions.

Actually, I'd love to see every single character on the show at least once a week, but I realize that contract terms might complicate that. Regardless, I'd wager that if every character was seen at least once a week, people would be less upset about seeing the characters who are, in those viewers' opinions, on-screen too often. Yes, it'd be the equivalent of throwing a dog a bone, but dogs do enjoy bones....
I don't know that I necessarily need to see every character every week (for example, I know I don't need to see Roman every week). But I do think it's important for characters to be involved where they would naturally be involved. I may not like Roman much, but it would have been ridiculous for him not to show up when Eric returned to town or not to be involved in some of the Caroline stuff. Justin and Adrienne don't get enough screentime for their fans, but I think the show has done better in having them involved when their involvement makes sense for Sonny's story.

Beyond that, there are long term friendships/relationships with these characters that were ignored for a long time and feel a little less ignored now. The Kayla/Marlena scene, the Hope/Marlena scene, and some of the Hope/Jen and Jen/Kayla scenes in the last few months are good examples. I think the Kayla/Abe friendship has been very organic as well with two people supporting each other through difficult times. All of these little moments add depth to the canvas and balance out some of the more plot-driven stuff.

It's not perfect and I'm sure it will never be, but there has been a change and it's a good one. Sometimes it's the little things that can make a big difference and keeping these vets connected to the canvas provides a greater familiarity and emotional baseline for the show. Tom and Alice Horton served that purpose for a long time, always seeming to ground the bigger plots in something familiar. Rather than passing that role onto one or two people, I feel like the show is kind of passing that on to a group. It's not exactly the same, of course, but it's something I've really enjoyed about the show lately.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

granolagirl
Member Avatar

This is my thought after yesterday's show. I do feel like Eileen Davidson has added something to the show by returning, but I think it's gotten unfocused over the last few weeks. I don't at all mind the slow pacing in the story heating up, but at the same time, Kristen's actions and attitude need to match the progression of the story, and I don't see good reasons for her to drop her good girl act yet. Also unfocused is having her cross paths with so many people (the Jennifer scenes were overkill). I don't want to jump the gun on it, but they run the risk of using her too much, for me at least.

La_Laa

Skye
Nov 16 2012, 02:23 PM
gabi says why did you have to do that
nick says cuz maybe he can get chad to leave you alone
she says and what if chad tells sonny
about andrew and me
and sonny will hate me and then he will tell Will
Watch out! Your worst nightmare might come true. I just can't wait to see that!

Southofsoap
Member Avatar

ED =perfection. I love how she is battling to contain her inner bitch while trying to convince everyone else (and perhaps herself? maybe it is that gray?) she is reformed.

Why is it that John acts like a moron by not being weary of Kristen, but can automatically deduce that Marlena deleted the messages? What's with his selective stupidity? lol

concerned
Member Avatar

Hamilton
Nov 20 2012, 10:40 AM
BeeBee
Nov 20 2012, 12:48 AM
Hamilton
Nov 19 2012, 07:39 PM
I thought the scenes with Will and Gabi were so sweet. I love the obvious loving friendship they share. Will offering to marry Gabi was adorable. Awww. Of course it wouldn't be in either of their best interest to get married, but the sentiment was so sweet. I like that Sonny showed up to offer his support of Gabi as a friend too and was happy to hear him mention Gabi sticking up for him and Will to T.

I also enjoyed Sami bursting at the seams with her secret. :P I actually support her decision to fill Rafe in because I think she really was looking out for Gabi. I'm sure she didn't want her alone and Sami knew Rafe would be there for her sister. Gabi is definitely overwhelmed. I also like that Sami showed the maturity to put whatever issues she has with Rafe aside and focus on family. I like this side of her so much better than the brat we were seeing in the past.

Love Brady and Kristen. Oh he is so going to get sucked in! Watch out Brady!!!!
I disagree about Sami.When someone asks you to keep a secret and you agree to do so,you should keep that secret.She had no business hinting to Will or calling Rafe to hint to him or tell him about Gabi's secret.I agree with her attempting to get Gabi to tell Rafe and supporting/checking up on Gabi to make sure she is okay but nothing more.She did not give Gabi a day before butting in with Will and Rafe.
But I must say I agree with your analysis of Will/Gabi as well as Brady/Kristin.
I understand your point completely about a promise is a promise, but then again this is Sami we are talking about. ;) It's very much in keeping with her character to be meddlesome and spill the beans. The woman is an impulsive big mouth. What I like is that even though she is butting in she seems sincere in wanting the best for Gabi rather than just trying to stir up trouble. I find Sami more palatable when she gets in her own way while striving to do the right thing.
This post for some reason reminds me of that scene when Nicole knows Brady is back in town and Sami is trying to get her to leave but as soon as Nicole says she knows a secret about Brady puts all that aside.

concerned
Member Avatar

JamaicanBeauty7
Nov 20 2012, 11:23 AM
esp13
Nov 20 2012, 10:28 AM
I wanted to specfically note that I enjoyed the Hope/Abe/Kayla/kids scenes at the Pub. I feel like TomSell has done a much better job of adding these moments that bring some emotion to the show. I'd still prefer it if the scenes were a bit longer and had some deeper emotions, but at this point I'll take what I can get. The history and friendships between these characters means a lot and just having them interact in a natural way brings a depth and a familiarity to the show. They don't have to drive story to be important parts of the canvas and it's nice that the show might seem to be realizing this.
ICAM. It was beautiful. I especially loved to see them talk about the effects of Lexie's death on Abe and Theo. Just because the story ended doesn't mean the emotional beats shouldn't still be played. I think that was the best part of yesterday's show.
They seemed to drop the ball on the whole aftermath of Lexies death which really should have had more resonance.

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

Southofsoap
Nov 20 2012, 05:54 PM
ED =perfection. I love how she is battling to contain her inner bitch while trying to convince everyone else (and perhaps herself? maybe it is that gray?) she is reformed.

Why is it that John acts like a moron by not being weary of Kristen, but can automatically deduce that Marlena deleted the messages? What's with his selective stupidity? lol
Well, that one's easy. John knows Marlena. Plus, she was trying to confess before he rudely interrupted.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Learn More · Register Now
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply