Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Interesting/Spoilerish Tweets, Week of 11/19; Twitter/FB List, Contact Info in first post
Topic Started: Nov 19 2012, 04:58 AM (12,709 Views)
JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

ladyofthelake
Nov 19 2012, 10:45 PM
I really really really really really really really really want more Sami and Daniel. Really. The world revolves around them. They are DAYS! Forget the good actors. Bring on the orange!
:laugh: :lol: :lol: This is the funniest thing I read all day "Bring back the orange."
Offline Profile Goto Top

magicsteacher
Member Avatar

dc cubs
Nov 20 2012, 05:09 PM
In regards to feedback, did Days stop doing those electronic surveys? I haven't seen one posted here in awhile.
From what I understand, the electronic surveys were stopped due to spamming and the surveys are now being mailed out. Whether that is true or not, I am not sure.
Offline Profile Goto Top

annie21

SocRMum1
Nov 20 2012, 11:02 AM
lysie
Nov 20 2012, 01:01 AM
I don't necessarily think it's true that tptb only go by which characters are being discussed. Shelle got a lot of good and bad discussion and they had no problem dumping them. Also, if you're wanting to do reverse psychology, then don't mention the characters you hate at all. Continuing to talk about them just in a different way isn't going to help and is pretty transparent.
While I think it's great TPTB are checking this site (and any others) for fan feedback at the end of the day it's just one of the aspects they consider when developing stories. And because of the super advanced shooting schedule it's difficult to see any sort of immediate reaction to stories. So while they probably get a good idea as to which characters generate discussion (good or bad) I don't know that what we say here (or elsewhere) really impacts the story direction because it's already three months ahead of what we're seeing.

With that said, though - I have to think it's pretty easy to pick out biases and take those posts with a grain of salt (mine included). If they see posters sporting banners featuring pairings they love and ripping apart any 'interlopers' to their potential happiness then it's probably a good bet they sense an agenda. Or when they see a post that starts off with a statement like "this makes me glad I'm no longer watching this show" it's probably not all that likely they go on to read what the poster thinks about an episode or story they've already said they haven't watched.

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall as the PR team is perusing the internet and reading some of our posts here and elsewhere, though. I'd love to know if they crack up at some of the same posts I do or just roll their eyes and move on. :laugh:
Re: bolded... while I understand what you're saying, I would think that getting information about former (and perhaps future) viewers would be exactly a key reason why Days would want to cruise message boards like this one. I mean, shouldn't they be curious as to why so many people care about the show enough to read and comment about it but not to want to actually watch it?

If I were selling a product that used to be popular but has been losing customers for years, I'd want to find out not only about the current customer base but also learn why so many other customers stopped buying my product.

Days has a huge potential audience that they're just not bothering to tap. Meanwhile, GH did some research, found a writer who actually cares about the show, and made the changes that are bringing lapsed viewers back. They're proving that it can be done.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Romancer66

annie21
Nov 20 2012, 09:42 PM
Well, we know they ditched the Jack/Jennifer/Daniel triangle last year and sidelined the actors. That started happening as early as November and soon after we heard about re-writes and possible re-shoots. So things can happen. It's possiblle, for example, to re-edit what's already been shot to snip out certain scenes while extending others. Not easy, but possible.

As for this latest round, I'm going to take to heart the fact that none of the publicity surrounding November sweeps pushed the Dannifer pairing, even though it was pimped on our screens almost every day. The scenes were taped back in July-August, but the publicity was put together more recently. And not only was Dannifer not played up in either of the two promos, it wasn't listed in Corday's summary preview of upcoming storylines. Even though they have already taped it, it's possible they're already re-thinking the pairing and are looking for ways to downplay it. Perhaps the recent tweets from the show asking about the Dannifer pairing and asking what Jennifer should do were part of that awakening.

Yes, I know I'm grasping at straws and I know it's a long shot. If Tomlin had his way, he would continue to push one of his favorite pairings no matter what. But I'm just hoping that he's no longer having his way on this matter.

Short of T&W 2 getting the boot, I'd be satisfied, in a schadenfreude-like way, just to learn they were no longer calling all the shots. MarDar lamented that NBC/Sony weren't letting them tell their stories. It would amuse me if T&W2 experienced the same level of hindrance and obstructionism when trying to tell theirs.
Offline Profile Goto Top

mer4santo
Member Avatar

annie21
Nov 21 2012, 10:45 AM
SocRMum1
lysie
I don't necessarily think it's true that tptb only go by which characters are being discussed. Shelle got a lot of good and bad discussion and they had no problem dumping them. Also, if you're wanting to do reverse psychology, then don't mention the characters you hate at all. Continuing to talk about them just in a different way isn't going to help and is pretty transparent.
While I think it's great TPTB are checking this site (and any others) for fan feedback at the end of the day it's just one of the aspects they consider when developing stories. And because of the super advanced shooting schedule it's difficult to see any sort of immediate reaction to stories. So while they probably get a good idea as to which characters generate discussion (good or bad) I don't know that what we say here (or elsewhere) really impacts the story direction because it's already three months ahead of what we're seeing.

With that said, though - I have to think it's pretty easy to pick out biases and take those posts with a grain of salt (mine included). If they see posters sporting banners featuring pairings they love and ripping apart any 'interlopers' to their potential happiness then it's probably a good bet they sense an agenda. Or when they see a post that starts off with a statement like "this makes me glad I'm no longer watching this show" it's probably not all that likely they go on to read what the poster thinks about an episode or story they've already said they haven't watched.

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall as the PR team is perusing the internet and reading some of our posts here and elsewhere, though. I'd love to know if they crack up at some of the same posts I do or just roll their eyes and move on. :laugh:
Re: bolded... while I understand what you're saying, I would think that getting information about former (and perhaps future) viewers would be exactly a key reason why Days would want to cruise message boards like this one. I mean, shouldn't they be curious as to why so many people care about the show enough to read and comment about it but not to want to actually watch it?

If I were selling a product that used to be popular but has been losing customers for years, I'd want to find out not only about the current customer base but also learn why so many other customers stopped buying my product.

Days has a huge potential audience that they're just not bothering to tap. Meanwhile, GH did some research, found a writer who actually cares about the show, and made the changes that are bringing lapsed viewers back. They're proving that it can be done.

I would agree with this to a point but unfortunately many people on boards who constantly threaten to not watch the show end up constantly talking about the show. It would seem that they are either not following their own lead or have too much time on their hands for a show they don't watch.

And honestly, when a viewer cries wolf one too many times....

Offline Profile Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

I've actually been really enjoying TomSell for the most part & I hope they continue because I'm interested in seeing where their stories go.
Offline Profile Goto Top

mer4santo
Member Avatar

Matt
Nov 21 2012, 11:11 AM
I've actually been really enjoying TomSell for the most part & I hope they continue because I'm interested in seeing where their stories go.
After the past week and a half I'm finally on board (tentatively since the Monkey's Paw is always looming) but I feel like all of a sudden the stories are starting to gel and the characters are less flat.
Offline Profile Goto Top

angie37
Member Avatar

Matt
So have I. The show's not perfect, but what in life is? The writers are never going to please everyone because it's impossible. Which "true fans" are TPTB going to listen to? We're such a mixed group with varying opinions, so whose opinions carry more weight?

At this point, I'm just glad that the show is more ensemble than it's been in years and that storylines, for the most part, actually seem to be going somewhere.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

annie21
Nov 21 2012, 10:45 AM
SocRMum1
lysie

I agree with much of what you've said but my comment was directed more toward those posters who state upfront they are not watching the show and then go in to detail to state why they dislike specific scenes they have not watched. As much as I enjoy and appreciate reading the day ahead write ups they are not a substitute for actually watching the show. I often find that the way a scene reads is quite different from what I take from it when I actually watch it.
Offline Profile Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

Matt
I agree. I think the show has been much better lately. I'm not sure what incentive TPTB would have to replace TomSell at this point given that the ratings have actually gone up over the last few weeks. I know there are those who are unhappy with certain story decisions, but it appears that there are others who were unhappy before but are happier now.

The idea that TPTB can "save the show" by "listening to fans" is somewhat ridiculous to me. This board (and others) make it 100% clear that there is not clear "fan" voice. What makes one group happy makes others mad, so how in the world are TPTB supposed to "listen to the fans" to make everything perfect?

What they need to do is write good stories and have faith that the fans will tune in for those stories. I'm not saying TPTB should never take fan feedback into consideration. There are certain things that produce a pretty overwhelmingly positive or negative response. But unless they can separate the wheat from the chaff, it's all just noise. GH isn't winning over fans by bringing back vets. They are winning over fans by telling good stories that are grounded in the show's history, and using vets in meaningful ways to tell those stories. That's what Days needs to do. Tell good stories and the viewers will follow.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

And I don't care WHO is writing, there's always going to be an overly vocal "fanbase" who doesn't like what's going on. Also, no matter how good the overall show might be, there'll still be some clunker storylines in there. No one hits it out of the park all the time. I remember during the heyday of Patch & Kayla, we still had to deal with that stupid & annoying Mike/Janice/Bill triangle that made no sense & went no where. Unfortunately, the way some fanbases act today, if they were watching back then, all they'd be able to focus on would be the Mike/Janice/Bill triangle while ignoring anything else going on. IMO, there are people who seem to be too into their own fanwank hatred & fury that they actually have blinders on to anything that might be remotely good because acknowledging that would interfere with their own narrative.
Offline Profile Goto Top

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

mer4santo
Nov 21 2012, 11:31 AM
Matt
After the past week and a half I'm finally on board (tentatively since the Monkey's Paw is always looming) but I feel like all of a sudden the stories are starting to gel and the characters are less flat.
This is exactly where I'm at. For the first several weeks I was wholly unimpressed with what I was seeing from TomSell. I still can't quite put my finger on it, to be honest. I thought the abrupt rush into Jennifer diving headlong into worrying about Daniel and seemingly not grieving much at all for Jack. The huge amount of time spent on Melanie's exit seemed like overkill. Having Nicole's baby survive the cliff hanger then die weeks later was jarring. And of course, having EJami seemingly so close to starting a true, mutual romance only to have Rafe literally dropped in like a dime was disappointing for me - particularly the way they continued to literally bounce Sami between the two of them with 'dates' and smooching on the couch for several weeks.

But in the past month of so I get the sense that they seem to have settled in to developing the long term stories they intend to tell and are actually spending some time allowing them to build and making sure they hit most of the right beats. Suddenly I'm finding characters that had been like nails on a chalkboard aren't bothering me as much if at all. And stories I would expect to have little interest in are really grabbing my attention and holding on. I make no secret that I'm a huge EJ/James Scott fan. And as much as his over abundance of screen time irritates some I typically eat it up. But these past few weeks have been a veritable drought in regard to EJ yet I find I'm still enjoying the show more than I have in a very long time. I still enjoy EJ and am particularly loving the scenes with Kristen - but I'm content with the entire show and no longer find myself watching for just one particular character or storyline. That hasn't happened since sometime in early 2007.
Offline Profile Goto Top

gailwinters
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Nov 21 2012, 11:52 AM
mer4santo
Nov 21 2012, 11:31 AM
Matt
This is exactly where I'm at. For the first several weeks I was wholly unimpressed with what I was seeing from TomSell. I still can't quite put my finger on it, to be honest. I thought the abrupt rush into Jennifer diving headlong into worrying about Daniel and seemingly not grieving much at all for Jack. The huge amount of time spent on Melanie's exit seemed like overkill. Having Nicole's baby survive the cliff hanger then die weeks later was jarring. And of course, having EJami seemingly so close to starting a true, mutual romance only to have Rafe literally dropped in like a dime was disappointing for me - particularly the way they continued to literally bounce Sami between the two of them with 'dates' and smooching on the couch for several weeks.

But in the past month of so I get the sense that they seem to have settled in to developing the long term stories they intend to tell and are actually spending some time allowing them to build and making sure they hit most of the right beats. Suddenly I'm finding characters that had been like nails on a chalkboard aren't bothering me as much if at all. And stories I would expect to have little interest in are really grabbing my attention and holding on. I make no secret that I'm a huge EJ/James Scott fan. And as much as his over abundance of screen time irritates some I typically eat it up. But these past few weeks have been a veritable drought in regard to EJ yet I find I'm still enjoying the show more than I have in a very long time. I still enjoy EJ and am particularly loving the scenes with Kristen - but I'm content with the entire show and no longer find myself watching for just one particular character or storyline. That hasn't happened since sometime in early 2007.
I wasn't watching when Eileen Davidson was on Days before, and I was never a big fan of Ashley Abbott, but I am absolutely loving every second of ED on Days. She has brought a spark to the show that is so fresh and fun. She has breathed new life into every character with whom she has shared scenes.

I expected to hate the Gabi/Will story and instead the writing has at the very least made me reserve judgement. I think it has the potential to be a huge umbrella story that can deliver big drama.

I too am a James Scott/EJ fan, and even though his character has been seen less, the writing for him has been superb, so I am happy about that.

I love the integration of characters, the pacing is good, and overall, the show has become more entertaining almost overnight.

Edited by gailwinters, Nov 21 2012, 12:06 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

I honestly think that the first few weeks of TomSell was basically them trying to figure out how to wrap up MarDar's storylines and position the characters for the long-term stories that TomSell had in mind. And that meant that there were some weird 180s along the way. And, admittedly, during that time there was a lot of reason to think that TomSell were not going to be any better. But as those stories were wrapped up and new directions were charted, the whole feel of the show changed. And now, it really feels much more cohesive and like there is a long term plan in place. I can't remember the last time I thought that was true.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Poker Face
Member Avatar
"I like to be on top, Darling." - John Ross/Pamela

the only thing i'm enjoying are Brady and Kristen. so painful to watch Jarlena "breaking up".John should know better. he's being written like a fool like he was back in '96.

i still want ejami but sick with the teasing.

i so fucking want rafe dead once and for all.

dont care about dannifer wish they would both leave.

i was liking nick/gabi but im over it already.

so yeah basically i still find the show pretty boring.

oh oops and nicole,loved her scene with eric but im so sick to see her panting after either daniel or rafe.

and where the heck is kate? i feel like it's been forever i haven't seen her!
Offline Profile Goto Top

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

This is a perfect example at how some people that didn't like the show just a few weeks ago are liking the show more now. Admitting to my bias, I can deal with some aspects of the show now because some couples/characters aren't being featured as much. I think the fact that Sami is for the most part without a man and focusing on something other than her love life is a breath of fresh air, how much that lasts is yet to be seen, but I like the show a bit more when we don't have Sami's carousel of men as the A storyline. So that makes me want to watch. Unfortunately, the only thing I would like is something for Lucas in the story department too. Then I'd be a very happy camper. I know they are utilizing him as some kind of angst for WilSon, but I'd much prefer that he gets another love interest and focuses on his own love life over whatever WilSon are planning to do.....it would make me immensely happy if TomSell did something like that.

I also like Kristen/Brady and the dynamic they create with Jarlena. This story in particular has the makings to be very, very good. Ditto for Nick/Gabi/Will/Sonny with a side of Chad screwing around....this story can be a very good umbrella story that creates drama for the Hortons in a way that hasn't been done for YEARS. We were clamoring for a Horton story, a story that focuses on them, well here it is...Will, a Horton having knocked up Gabi who is now dating another Horton Nick....cousins who might see themselves butting heads over who raises this child....then when you add the Kiriakis' into it with Sonny and how the Brady's might react it really has the foundation to be a great overall story.....

I've always loved Ericole so the fact that he's back is only the cherry on top.....

Only negatives are Dannifer to me....but I can deal with one bad story as long as I have a few others catching my interest. If they continue doing what they are doing and just give Lucas a story outside of Sami's circle, then I'll be a very, very happy camper.
Offline Profile Goto Top

granolagirl
Member Avatar

Dreamer
Nov 21 2012, 12:37 AM
There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why?... I dream of things and ask why not?
Ask not what your soap board can do for you, but what you can do for your soap board.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

"I look at thing the way other people try to convince me they should be and go WTF?"
Offline Profile Goto Top

leela46
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Nov 21 2012, 12:24 PM
This is a perfect example at how some people that didn't like the show just a few weeks ago are liking the show more now. Admitting to my bias, I can deal with some aspects of the show now because some couples/characters aren't being featured as much. I think the fact that Sami is for the most part without a man and focusing on something other than her love life is a breath of fresh air, how much that lasts is yet to be seen, but I like the show a bit more when we don't have Sami's carousel of men as the A storyline. So that makes me want to watch. Unfortunately, the only thing I would like is something for Lucas in the story department too. Then I'd be a very happy camper. I know they are utilizing him as some kind of angst for WilSon, but I'd much prefer that he gets another love interest and focuses on his own love life over whatever WilSon are planning to do.....it would make me immensely happy if TomSell did something like that.

I also like Kristen/Brady and the dynamic they create with Jarlena. This story in particular has the makings to be very, very good. Ditto for Nick/Gabi/Will/Sonny with a side of Chad screwing around....this story can be a very good umbrella story that creates drama for the Hortons in a way that hasn't been done for YEARS. We were clamoring for a Horton story, a story that focuses on them, well here it is...Will, a Horton having knocked up Gabi who is now dating another Horton Nick....cousins who might see themselves butting heads over who raises this child....then when you add the Kiriakis' into it with Sonny and how the Brady's might react it really has the foundation to be a great overall story.....

I've always loved Ericole so the fact that he's back is only the cherry on top.....

Only negatives are Dannifer to me....but I can deal with one bad story as long as I have a few others catching my interest. If they continue doing what they are doing and just give Lucas a story outside of Sami's circle, then I'll be a very, very happy camper.
I actually prefer Lucas as more of a supporting character but I don't have a problem with his getting a new love interest. Get him away from Sami and I might become more of a fan of the character.

I'm loving the writing for WilSon/Nabi/Wabi. There are so many ways this story can go and affect so many characters. If the good writing continues the fallout of the Wabi baby can last for a long time.

ED has really added a spark to this show as Kristen. John and Marlena had become stale and boring. Now I want to see Kristen tear Jarlena apart and have them find their way back together. I'm also looking forward to Kristen and Brady's relationship. They already have much more chemistry than Bradison ever had.

I agree that TomSell had to spend some time wrapping up the MarDar stories and position their stories. The show is so much better now. It's not perfect of course. I still want Dannifer to die a ugly, tortuous death once Chloe returns. And I loathe all things Ejami. But I have the fast forward button on my DVR for those stories.
Online Profile Goto Top

Sindacco
Member Avatar

Tomlin and Whitesell may have long term plans, my problem is that their stories and their vision of the show is so fucking boring and lifeless,
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic