Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Interesting/Spoilerish Tweets, Week of 11/19; Twitter/FB List, Contact Info in first post
Topic Started: Nov 19 2012, 04:58 AM (12,651 Views)
esp13
Member Avatar

Sindacco
Nov 21 2012, 02:56 PM
Tomlin and Whitesell may have long term plans, my problem is that their stories and their vision of the show is so fucking boring and lifeless,
Thus proving the universal rule that you can't please all the people all the time.
Offline Profile Goto Top

DaysForever
Member Avatar

Has the show really improved that much? I'd like to get back into watching it.
Offline Profile Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

DaysForever
Nov 21 2012, 03:55 PM
Has the show really improved that much? I'd like to get back into watching it.
As you can see from the above posts, it pretty much depends on you who ask. IMO, yes, it has improved a lot.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Tripp
Member Avatar
Geekette

I want to jump on the I'm enjoying the show more bandwagon. While I don't love every storyline (and certainly not every actor) I find I can watch almost every day. I came back to see Blake Berris but find I enjoy other storylines like Nicole, Kristin, Brady, Eric, Kayla, Hope, Nick, Gabi, Will, Sonny, and I can even stand Sami for the most part. (Her hair is killing me right now).

Jennifer only gets on my nerves in regards to Daniel or Nicole. My only real regret I had was I wish they had allowed Nicole to lose the baby from falling down the stairs instead of before, because for some reason that negates Jennifer's previous behavior and now she is the victim. However that type of writing has been around far longer than TomSell so I can't hold it too much against the writers on that.

Offline Profile Goto Top

annie21

Matt
Nov 21 2012, 11:48 AM
And I don't care WHO is writing, there's always going to be an overly vocal "fanbase" who doesn't like what's going on. Also, no matter how good the overall show might be, there'll still be some clunker storylines in there. No one hits it out of the park all the time. I remember during the heyday of Patch & Kayla, we still had to deal with that stupid & annoying Mike/Janice/Bill triangle that made no sense & went no where. Unfortunately, the way some fanbases act today, if they were watching back then, all they'd be able to focus on would be the Mike/Janice/Bill triangle while ignoring anything else going on. IMO, there are people who seem to be too into their own fanwank hatred & fury that they actually have blinders on to anything that might be remotely good because acknowledging that would interfere with their own narrative.
While I see your larger point, it's a dicey area because some of what you're saying borders on fan-bashing. After all, it could be argued the reverse -- that some fans who like the show are putting on blinders and are not seeing the glaring flaws, etc., etc.

All I'll say is that it's nice to see that some people are able to enjoy the show now. I'll also say that it reminds me of this time last year when so many people were making similar comments about MarDar -- that it was taking them a while to wrap up the previous botched storylines and that generally there was more balance and better use of the characters, etc., etc. People were still highly optimistic in November even though Eggbaby, griefsex, and the J/D/J triangle were already causing backlash. By January, and certainly by March, it was a completely different story.

Edited by annie21, Nov 21 2012, 04:30 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Some "fans" deserved to be bashed, IMO. Unless I'm bashing a specific person personally (or singling out someone for contempt), I don't see the issue.
Offline Profile Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

annie21
Nov 21 2012, 04:29 PM
Matt
And I don't care WHO is writing, there's always going to be an overly vocal "fanbase" who doesn't like what's going on. Also, no matter how good the overall show might be, there'll still be some clunker storylines in there. No one hits it out of the park all the time. I remember during the heyday of Patch & Kayla, we still had to deal with that stupid & annoying Mike/Janice/Bill triangle that made no sense & went no where. Unfortunately, the way some fanbases act today, if they were watching back then, all they'd be able to focus on would be the Mike/Janice/Bill triangle while ignoring anything else going on. IMO, there are people who seem to be too into their own fanwank hatred & fury that they actually have blinders on to anything that might be remotely good because acknowledging that would interfere with their own narrative.
While I see your larger point, it's a dicey area because some of what you're saying borders on fan-bashing. After all, it could be argued the reverse -- that some fans who like the show are putting on blinders and are not seeing the glaring flaws, etc., etc.

All I'll say is that it's nice to see that some people are able to enjoy the show now. I'll also say that it reminds me of this time last year when so many people were making similar comments about MarDar -- that it was taking them a while to wrap up the previous botched storylines and that generally there was more balance and better use of the characters, etc., etc. People were still highly optimistic in November even though Eggbaby, griefsex, and the J/D/J triangle were already causing backlash. By January, and certainly by March, it was a completely different story.

Yes, you are right. People thought MarDar were an improvement. But that's because, compared to Higley's offensive ridiculousness, they were a huge improvement for a little while. And then things went to hell. I'm fairly confident that if TomSell's stories go to hell in the same way, you'll see the same response.

Nobody is saying that the show is perfect and will continue to be the most perfect thing ever until the end of time. All anybody is saying is that, right now, it's pretty damn watchable in our opinions. A month from now, it may be a totally different story. Or maybe it will continue to be decent to good for a while. I'm simply not going to assume that the show is going to suck in 2 months because things went to hell under Higley. By the same token, I'm not going to assume it's going to be perfect either. I think we're all just taking it week to week at this point.

As for your comment about people likeing the show having blinders on, I don't think that's true of the people I've seen posting, but I'll grant your point that it is certainly possible to have blinders going both ways. But, two wrongs don't make a right and Matt is right that there are some fans who are so angry over one issue with a character or couple that they continuously condemn the whole show despite the fact that they also insist they aren't watching said show. If those are the fans TPTB are supposed to be listening to, I'd just as soon they not listen to anybody.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lazydazes
Member Avatar

IMO, the show is in a much better place and my ffwd has received some much needed rest. Now i can actually enjoy more than tiny snippets of the epsiode. And i haven`t done that in eons. The stuff with wilson/nabi is compelling. And the nicole baby drama was must-see for me & i`m enjoying her story as she embarks on her next chapter. Lovin` the greg vaughan addition, of course and am extremely interested in eric. I can`t say enough about the current john/kristen/marlena/brady drama. I am enjoying their stuff immensely. And it`s great that so many different storylines are going on at once and they aren`t even remotely related. And that`s a refreshing change for me.
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Scorpion
Member Avatar

Perhaps that Days is on the right track in terms of certain things but it's a bit left for me to enjoy the show as a whole! Some characters are completely uninteresting since there are characters that I find very exciting!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ireland98

I've enjoyed Days a bit better these past 2 weeks for the first time since August, but there's still a lot that irks me. Overall I enjoyed Days A LOT more under MarDar (though not everything), but am open to see what comes up these next few months.

Right now I'm mainly interested in John, Marlena, Kristen, Brady, Eric & Nicole. Everything else is boring, predictable, annoying, or has too much plot point/inconsistent writing.
Edited by Ireland98, Nov 22 2012, 12:14 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

px780
Member Avatar
Streetcorner Philosopher

Matt
I know this was not directed towards me or anyone specific, but it really kind of hit me and got me thinking. I think I have to admit that I may have a little bit of that fanwank hatred thing going on.

It's not so much that I'm disappointed with specific outcomes- even though I pick on Dan/Jen a lot. It's that I've developed a thought pattern in which one storyline seeming (to me) to be contrived and disappointing reminds me of all the other similar storylines in the past. And that, in turn, makes me assume that the other current storylines are similarly contrived and disappointing, so I'm not really open to them.

I'm not sure how to snap out of that, though, because I don't think it's entirely unreasonable. I think I might need to see an entire storyline unfold in a way I find satisfying to really restore my faith, get me back to a place of trust with those who make the show.

So, I'm genuinely happy to see so many pro-Days posts. I hope to join you guys one day, but I'm not there yet.
Offline Profile Goto Top

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

The show has definitely improved since MarDar. My main problem is Daniel & Dannifer. They had to scrap their storyline the first time around because the fans hated it. So why does Tomlin feel the need to rewrite a storyline that was so universally hated the first go around? Jack or no Jack the majority of fans will never accept Daniel with Jennifer. Mostly because of who Daniel is and because of what Jennifer has become. The latest SOD poll was a clear indication that Dannifer are as big a failure as a couple now as they were the first time around. And yet Tomlin and Whitesell still continue to push this couple. WHY? It's bad enough they had utterly gutted Nicole and Chloe for Daniel, must they also continue to destroy Jennifer? And it pisses me off to no end that Chloe is once again being wasted on the bag of douche while Brady has got the hots for a woman who used to change his diapers. Tomlin has a long way to go before he can be called a good writer. :flipoff:
Offline Profile Goto Top

bomber
Member Avatar

LanaluvsBroe
Nov 21 2012, 06:35 PM
The show has definitely improved since MarDar. My main problem is Daniel & Dannifer. They had to scrap their storyline the first time around because the fans hated it. So why does Tomlin feel the need to rewrite a storyline that was so universally hated the first go around? Jack or no Jack the majority of fans will never accept Daniel with Jennifer. Mostly because of who Daniel is and because of what Jennifer has become. The latest SOD poll was a clear indication that Dannifer are as big a failure as a couple now as they were the first time around. And yet Tomlin and Whitesell still continue to push this couple. WHY? It's bad enough they had utterly gutted Nicole and Chloe for Daniel, must they also continue to destroy Jennifer? And it pisses me off to no end that Chloe is once again being wasted on the bag of douche while Brady has got the hots for a woman who used to change his diapers. Tomlin has a long way to go before he can be called a good writer. :flipoff:
ITA I would watch more often if Dannifer weren't being continually shoved down my throat. I have accepted that Tomlin is going with them but their screentime is over the top. I will also willingly admit that I am a resentful fan re Jack. But I quite like the Nick/Gabi/Will/Sonny storyline and I like knowing that it will be a complete story - with a beginning and an end. I hated the Nicole baby story because it petered out into just another Dan/Jen prop, with no real aftermath. I dont like the Sami show because it has been going for about 4 years with no resolution - but that was true under MarDar as well. I am on the fence with Kristen stories because I wasn't a fan of hers originally, or JER for that matter. I quite like the Kristen, Brady, marlena scenes but I keep wondering if there is going to be much story to go with it. The return of Chloe has me quite interested but I'm hoping for more than just a paternity story or Dannifer prop. Actually chloe was the only Dan pairing I could ever tolerate but it has to be tough Chloe, not another weak, ruined female Eric is o.k. and I do like a good Thornbirds story so I can go for that. Overall I would have to say that I am not on board as yet. I often turn it on but end up doing something else within 15 minutes however I dont want the show to be canceled because the advanced taping schedule that would mean that basically what we are seeing now would be endgame and I certainly hope they can go out with a bigger bang than the current status
Offline Profile Goto Top

dc cubs
Member Avatar

I stopped watching after Peter Reckell's last day. I had watched Days continuously since the summer of 1984. I suffered through a lot of bad times with this show so it took a lot for me to stop watching. One reason I stopped watching was because of time. I am in my capstone class for my MBA and I just don't have enough hours in the day to work full time and dedicate myself to this class and keep up with Days.

As to what finally got me to turn off the show, here's a list. I am not one who only watches for one actor or couple.

Dannifer and the love fest Days execs and writers have for the character of Daniel Jonas
The nonstop vortex of suck of Sami and her men, is it Lumi this week or Ejami or Safe
Stories being dominated by four characters of Sami, Rafe, EJ & Nicole
Nicole losing her baby
Ashford and Reckell leaving the show
I'm not a Jarlena fan so Kristen coming back really didn't interest me that much.
The general pacing of the show. There was no build up, every story and couple was just thrown together.

After reading some of these posts it sounds like some of these issues may have been resolved (balance and pacing). If I keep seeing some positive reviews maybe I'll check back into the show in a month after graduation.
Offline Profile Goto Top

AHM

Confessions:

-In all of my soap watching years, I've always watched for one or two characters/one or two storylines. Never have I ever been really interested in every single story, or even in the majority of stories, but I watched what wasn't that great while waiting for what was, and did dishes or dusted or did homework when boring stuff was on and sort of listened enough to follow it.

-I am one of those furious fans Matt mentioned. Very much. I admit it. I have loved Jack and Jennifer over two thirds of my life. The set up was ripe for one more good Jack and Jennifer story, and Days wouldn't even use it in their mad desire to make boring Dan the rooting character, apparently because he's considered "hot", as I can't see any other reason. This show wasted Jack utterly in favor of a very mediocre and forgettable pairing. I only got back on the Days train because Jennifer's return made me hope for Matt Ashford/Jack's return to follow hers. So, yes, I'm angry about how all of that went down, enough angry that I'd like to see TomSell crash and burn, honestly.

-I never care about any story if I don't care about the characters involved.

-I have watched very little of late, mostly reading spoilers and watching teasers, so I can't claim the authority of those who are generally watching. However, I'm not watching because it sounds mostly boring, and what I have watched doesn't interest me much or make me want to see more.

^Those confessions being taken into account, maybe my opinions are negated. Anyway, I still check this board, because I hope for hints that the show will get better (and I've been reading Matt's fanfic). But the spoilers and the teasers don't interest me, because I don't care about the characters. This show is full of inconsistent, interchangeable parts and not characters. Also, insta-love just isn't interesting to me. Will/Sonny and Nick/Gabi---already with the sleeping together and the "I love you"s. That's boring to me. That doesn't create an investment. Abby's already got two lackluster romances under her belt. The only story that sounds like it's got real potential is Eric/Nicole. I might be interested in watching that, but not interested enough to make it worth it to me to run into Dan/Jen. I don't care if stories are gelling or whatever if I don't care about the characters involved. And I find most of the characters to be very hollow because of never having been properly built in the first place or because of repeated inconsistency. I suppose John and Marlena have some substance. Well, John actually lost all substance for me with the repeated changes in who he is, so I don't really care what happens with them at this point. Though I'm not a big Lucas fan, I do think he's at least a character of substance, so of course, he's barely used. I'm not sure how the show can fix being populated with a bunch of empty characters (I think Sami and EJ were once something more, but have been drained of all substance; Rafe, Daniel, Brady---they've never amounted to much beyond eye candy for me). I don't watch GH (though I think I might start), so I'm not exactly sure if this is what they're doing, but I think maybe using strong characters of the past (Jack, please!) to help build a newer set might be good. As is, the strong characters of the past are often just being played as hollow interchangeable parts now too (hello, Jennifer) or are not really being used much (Kayla and Julie, for example).
Offline Profile Goto Top

Romancer66

LanaluvsBroe
Nov 21 2012, 06:35 PM
Why anyone would repeat a resounding dud like Dannifer boggles the mind. Returning Headwriter Hubris is the most likely reason--T&W's joint ego probably has them believing they can succeed where MarDar failed. Unfortunately for them, I've noticed here and elsewhere that even viewers who sort of liked Dannifer the first time are turning against them now in droves, put off either by Jennifer's failure to mourn the love of her life or her recent stint as a raving, obsessive bitch. Daniel's not finding much favor either--his inner sleaze has become much more visible. Whether that alters the storyline direction remains to be seen . . . about four months from now. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, here's a question: how can anyone be sure whether what he or she is seeing on DAYS and liking is T&W's work--or Lorraine Broderick's? Because T&W were here before and their stuff, along with DH's, ultimately sank the ratings and brought about Reboot 1.0, but LB wasn't on board before--and she may be the biggest factor in any improvement seen in the show. And she's a writer who cares about families, history, and roots, a protegee of Agnes Nixon's. When AMC got the axe, LB was the one brought in to fix the problems and end the show on a high note--comparatively speaking.

I think it would be interesting to see what happened if T&W 2 got the boot, but LB stayed on and got promoted to HW. Because whether one loves or hates the current regime (and I make no apologies for being among the latter), I suspect their fate will be determined by the numbers, just as MarDar's was.
Edited by Romancer66, Nov 21 2012, 08:06 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

So I'm one of those who comment, even though I haven't watched in months. Although I don't go into detail.........I'm sick of the Sami show, and yeah, maybe I'm a bitter EJole fan. Tired of the crap dished out to Matt Ashford, and very disappointed in the whole Peter Reckell thing. Hate the way Nicole's been written, even though it's acting heaven for Ari (I guess that's something). Like Cubs, I'm in an advanced degree program. Got rid of the DVR when Days started sucking, because I couldn't justify another $25 a month on the cable bill when I started deleting 3/4 of it. Like others, I might start watching (albeit online) when things get better. I'd like to see where Eric and Nicole go, and possibly the whole Gabi issue and how Kristen is being written. But I really got turned off with the whole pukefest that involves Sami, and Melissa Reeves really got me turned off as well, and the whole Daniel thing. Maybe it is time. Who knows?
But, yeah, I used to complain about those who never watch and complain, and I turned into one of them! Go figure.
Offline Profile Goto Top

BradyB

I'd like to see LB as the HW of the show. Sure hasn't been much in regards to November sweeps
Offline Profile Goto Top

mer4santo
Member Avatar

The Scorpion
Nov 21 2012, 05:18 PM
Perhaps that Days is on the right track in terms of certain things but it's a bit left for me to enjoy the show as a whole! Some characters are completely uninteresting since there are characters that I find very exciting!
I'm not sure there is a time I've ever watched the show that I enjoyed every story. I remember hating Bope no matter what happened
Offline Profile Goto Top

Ireland98

AHM
Nov 21 2012, 07:24 PM
This show is full of inconsistent, interchangeable parts and not characters. Also, insta-love just isn't interesting to me. Will/Sonny and Nick/Gabi---already with the sleeping together and the "I love you"s. That's boring to me.
I LOVE everything you said in your first post, but especially the comments about inconsistent writing and insta-romances....THANK YOU!
Edited by Ireland98, Nov 22 2012, 01:19 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic