Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Interesting/Spoilerish Tweets, Week of 11/19; Twitter/FB List, Contact Info in first post
Topic Started: Nov 19 2012, 04:58 AM (12,657 Views)
DiMeraFan67
Member Avatar

One of the major problems with the show is that they are TRYING too hard to create the next Doug and Julie, Bo and Hope, John and Marlena. These things happen naturally. They are putting couples together and basically telling us how great they are and how much they love each other. We aren't seeing it naturally happen. I don't want to be told that Brady and Madison are going to be an explosive couple. I want to see it. Sami and EJ, Sami and Rafe. These are not ever going to work because they bounce around. Sami's only chance, IMO, to be part of a real couple is with Lucas and that ship has sailed because they don't seem at all interested in those two together.

I would rather see months of Lucas bouncing from girl to girl until something SPARKS. The taping schedule is a big problem. They can't properly gauge fan reaction in time. I don't trust Tomlin and Whitesell to be able to figure out which characters really have chemistry on their own with that three month gap. Its just not going to happen.
Offline Profile Goto Top

The Room Stops
Member Avatar

DiMeraFan67
Nov 22 2012, 03:28 PM
One of the major problems with the show is that they are TRYING too hard to create the next Doug and Julie, Bo and Hope, John and Marlena. These things happen naturally. They are putting couples together and basically telling us how great they are and how much they love each other. We aren't seeing it naturally happen. I don't want to be told that Brady and Madison are going to be an explosive couple. I want to see it. Sami and EJ, Sami and Rafe. These are not ever going to work because they bounce around. Sami's only chance, IMO, to be part of a real couple is with Lucas and that ship has sailed because they don't seem at all interested in those two together.

I would rather see months of Lucas bouncing from girl to girl until something SPARKS. The taping schedule is a big problem. They can't properly gauge fan reaction in time. I don't trust Tomlin and Whitesell to be able to figure out which characters really have chemistry on their own with that three month gap. Its just not going to happen.
Also very true. I go to my J&M in that case. Drake auditioned (and got, obviously) for a role to last a few months to be a man of mystery, but Sheri was so overwhelmed by the chemistry between Drake and Deidre, plus the fans immediately wanted Marlena to be with "John Black" and so they had to consider the course to take. There were no hints that John was Roman in the MONTHS it took before J&M even got really close. Everyone (characters) could see they were falling for each other, but there were no scarfs, no anvils, it was just chemistry, and they took advantage of what was right in front of them. Win, win for all parts. Drake got a job that was secure for a long, long time; Deidre got her wish (she voted for Drake to get the part); Sheri got to write one of the best love stories in all of Daytime and fans got their wish for John & Marlena to be together. But it wasn't done overnight.

I agree that Sami and Lucas sincerely did have the next best shot, after Austin and Carrie, and maybe Phillip and Chloe, to be the long-lasting, love-you-forever couple.
Offline Profile Goto Top

annie21

esp13
Nov 21 2012, 04:53 PM
annie21
Nov 21 2012, 04:29 PM
Matt
Nov 21 2012, 11:48 AM
And I don't care WHO is writing, there's always going to be an overly vocal "fanbase" who doesn't like what's going on. Also, no matter how good the overall show might be, there'll still be some clunker storylines in there. No one hits it out of the park all the time. I remember during the heyday of Patch & Kayla, we still had to deal with that stupid & annoying Mike/Janice/Bill triangle that made no sense & went no where. Unfortunately, the way some fanbases act today, if they were watching back then, all they'd be able to focus on would be the Mike/Janice/Bill triangle while ignoring anything else going on. IMO, there are people who seem to be too into their own fanwank hatred & fury that they actually have blinders on to anything that might be remotely good because acknowledging that would interfere with their own narrative.
While I see your larger point, it's a dicey area because some of what you're saying borders on fan-bashing. After all, it could be argued the reverse -- that some fans who like the show are putting on blinders and are not seeing the glaring flaws, etc., etc.

All I'll say is that it's nice to see that some people are able to enjoy the show now. I'll also say that it reminds me of this time last year when so many people were making similar comments about MarDar -- that it was taking them a while to wrap up the previous botched storylines and that generally there was more balance and better use of the characters, etc., etc. People were still highly optimistic in November even though Eggbaby, griefsex, and the J/D/J triangle were already causing backlash. By January, and certainly by March, it was a completely different story.

Yes, you are right. People thought MarDar were an improvement. But that's because, compared to Higley's offensive ridiculousness, they were a huge improvement for a little while. And then things went to hell. I'm fairly confident that if TomSell's stories go to hell in the same way, you'll see the same response.

Nobody is saying that the show is perfect and will continue to be the most perfect thing ever until the end of time. All anybody is saying is that, right now, it's pretty damn watchable in our opinions. A month from now, it may be a totally different story. Or maybe it will continue to be decent to good for a while. I'm simply not going to assume that the show is going to suck in 2 months because things went to hell under Higley. By the same token, I'm not going to assume it's going to be perfect either. I think we're all just taking it week to week at this point.

As for your comment about people likeing the show having blinders on, I don't think that's true of the people I've seen posting, but I'll grant your point that it is certainly possible to have blinders going both ways. But, two wrongs don't make a right and Matt is right that there are some fans who are so angry over one issue with a character or couple that they continuously condemn the whole show despite the fact that they also insist they aren't watching said show. If those are the fans TPTB are supposed to be listening to, I'd just as soon they not listen to anybody.
I think you and Matt make many valid points, and we ultimately agree that the show should just concentrate on writing good stories. Just three points to add to what you've both said:

1) A show that's been around as long as Days creates viewer relationships that extend well beyond any single set of writers and producers. Many people wander in and out of regular viewership for various reasons, as have been stated by several in this thread. So, even though some people may not be able to tune into the current regime for whatver reason (school, life, aversion to writers, etc.), that doesn't negate their overall fandom of the show nor, imo, does it automatically deny them the ability to express their sentiments about how the show is faring based on summaries and clips posted here.

2) Regarding the Bill/Janice/Mike triangle and it's relative weakness vis a vis other storylines of that time, I remember it. And I understand the point Matt makes about how one set of viewers can harp daily on a single storyline gone bad. But here are two things to consider in this modern era: 1) Back then, that storyline was a relative anomaly. The percentage of really good storylines far outweighed the bad. So people would be more likely to put up with one bad s/l when there were so many others that were going on; and (2) today, people have the choice of watching youtube clips to just follow the pieces they like and can ignore the rest. This is a big problem for ratings and the show hasn't properly recognized or dealt with this tendency. In fact, the way stories are now written in isolation, the writers actually cater to this tendency. Back then, I really didn't consider fast forwarding through Bill/Janice/Mike because not only was it a relative blip in the overall high quality of the show, but also there might be a tie-in to a story I cared about. Today, while some choose not to watch any of the show, a vast number of others catch bits and pieces and skip the rest. I'm curious, do you count them as viewers? Should the ratings people count them as viewers?

3) Even if there are viewers that insist on expressing negative views while not watching (i.e., they "have blinders on"), that still doesn't negate my original point, which is that the show should be trying to find a way to increase viewership by both attracting new first-time viewers (a difficult proposition) as well as bringing back lapsed viewers (a dicey proposition). The only way their ratings will go up is if they pursue one or both of these paths. And my point was that they should be trying to figure out why viewers left in droves and yet linger around message boards to keep up with the show. Doesn't mean they won't have to sift through a bunch of single-issue viewpoints. But, as both of you have mentioned in various ways, there are some overriding and fundamental concerns that have been well-articulated on this and other message boards. The show's PTB would do well to seek them out and take them seriously.

Offline Profile Goto Top

esp13
Member Avatar

I don't disagree with any of your points. I don't think Matt or I ever said that everybody not watching and/or posting falls into the same category. There are definitely posters who aren't watching or who don't watch with regularity who make very salient points about the show and/or storylines. I'd like to think I've been one of them since there have certainly been periods where I read recaps more than I watched.

And sure, if the show wants to grow the audience it needs to look at reasons why people aren't watching. I just think the answer is pretty simple. If the stories are good, people watch. If the stories are bad, people don't watch. And that goes for "couple" fans too. I've lost count of the number of people who have repeatedly announced they aren't watching because the story for their couple sucks. And that's fine, but that doesn't mean their conclusion that the whole show is bad and/or the writers should be fired is a particularly objective one.

We all have our opinions about the show and about how it should be. Many of the people posting, whether positive or negative or in-between, do so in a very thoughtful way that includes good ideas that TPTB should definitely take into account. Others are clearly far more concerned with a character or a couple than the show. That's fine. It's their right, of course. I just hope those aren't the opinions TPTB are listnening to since I don't believe it will do anything to improve the show.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Ellie

The Room Stops
Nov 22 2012, 03:06 PM
lysie
Nov 22 2012, 02:34 PM
Someone says something about a wedding dress in one of those videos...
In the background of the Ari one, I heard it too now.

My favorite is the one with Greg Vaughan. Did I get it wrong or was she at his house for that one? There certainly wasn't Deidre-approved lighting (which, I've actually started to think about... I don't wanna go out looking weird because my bathroom has sucky lighting anymore).
She's in her dressing room. (You can see the Days loudspeaker).
Offline Profile Goto Top

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

Dreamer
Nov 22 2012, 10:05 AM
Matthew Ashford's FB Page Quote: Nov 21/12

Still thinking about DAYS & his fans.
:wub:

"Happy (US) Thanksgiving, everybody! Make sure you count your blessings,enjoy great food... and stay away from dangerously dangling elevators."

I have the utmost respect for Matt. :wub: :wub: :wub:
Edited by LanaluvsBroe, Nov 22 2012, 10:46 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

james0479
Member Avatar

LanaluvsBroe
Nov 22 2012, 10:45 PM
Dreamer
Nov 22 2012, 10:05 AM
Matthew Ashford's FB Page Quote: Nov 21/12

Still thinking about DAYS & his fans.
:wub:

"Happy (US) Thanksgiving, everybody! Make sure you count your blessings,enjoy great food... and stay away from dangerously dangling elevators."

I have the utmost respect for Matt. :wub: :wub: :wub:
Matt is the epitome of a true class act gentleman! Jennifer Rose can forever such sunkist sperm out of Dr Pumpkin Penis as far as I'm concerned for allowing those elevator doors to close on the man who truly and forever loved her and died to save their daughter.
Offline Profile Goto Top

WillFan
Member Avatar

Alison Sweeney■@Ali_Sweeney

Wishing you all a fabulous turkey day. We're all dressed up for family dinner. XO
http://t.co/U4SSdHbx
Offline Profile Goto Top

WillFan
Member Avatar

freddie smith■@freddiemsmith

Wow just found this pic from about 4 yrs ago with long hair
http://t.co/oN2EInme

Offline Profile Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

james0479
Nov 23 2012, 01:20 PM
sunkist sperm
This needs to be cloned and added to the Urban Dictionary! :laugh: :tounge:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Dany_E

ladyofthelake
Nov 23 2012, 01:42 PM
james0479
sunkist sperm
This needs to be cloned and added to the Urban Dictionary! :laugh: :tounge:
Along with "Dr. Poison-Penis Baby-Stabber". James has a gift! :hail:
Offline Profile Goto Top

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

WillFan
Nov 23 2012, 01:35 PM
freddie smith■@freddiemsmith

Wow just found this pic from about 4 yrs ago with long hair
http://t.co/oN2EInme

Damn he looks hot with long hair :omg:
Offline Profile Goto Top

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

blueskies
Nov 22 2012, 09:30 AM
if TPTB really read this board, I want them to bring back Lindsay Hartley, say she was in the witness protection program. Then we can have EJ+Arianna against Rafe+Sami; I'm wayy over Sami having all the men in town. I mean, wait until this storyline eventually blows up in EJ's face of course (we all know that's coming) but for the next plot point, this would be great. We all know replacing Arianna with Taylor was a huge mistake, maybe it's time to correct that.
I was always in favor of them together, their friendship could have turned into a relationship. That is if she was not there to make him 'good', than that will be a huge no. I just think they were something new and refreshing, besides the height difference.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

WillFan

Wishing you all a fabulous turkey day. We're all dressed up for family dinner. XO
Isn't someone missing from this happy family portrait? :shrug: I guess he's the photographer. Whatever happened to timers on cameras?
Offline Profile Goto Top

cord08

ladyofthelake
Nov 23 2012, 06:27 PM
WillFan

Isn't someone missing from this happy family portrait? :shrug: I guess he's the photographer. Whatever happened to timers on cameras?
I thought I heard her husband was kinda shy/doesn't like the spotlight.
Offline Profile Goto Top

MissLola
Member Avatar

I think it has something to do with his career in law enforcement? :shrug:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cupcake06

JamaicanBeauty7
Nov 22 2012, 10:54 AM
lysie
Nov 22 2012, 10:40 AM
blueskies
Nov 22 2012, 09:30 AM
if TPTB really read this board, I want them to bring back Lindsay Hartley, say she was in the witness protection program. Then we can have EJ+Arianna against Rafe+Sami; I'm wayy over Sami having all the men in town. I mean, wait until this storyline eventually blows up in EJ's face of course (we all know that's coming) but for the next plot point, this would be great. We all know replacing Arianna with Taylor was a huge mistake, maybe it's time to correct that.
And I'd like to counter this with a please no. The character was terrible.
I thought the character was lame until the last 2 months of her tenure, when I saw some of what made me like LH on Passions. Days has habit of misusing good actors anyway so I shouldn't have been surprised. -_-
I don't think the character was lame. The Brady isolation was!!!! :x

That along with over a month in jail and like...no dialogue, crap wardrobe and crap apartment.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

MissLola
Nov 23 2012, 06:52 PM
I think it has something to do with his career in law enforcement? :shrug:
From what I understand, he was on the show at one time, so he can't be too worried about being exposed. One family portrait? I mean, even my husband does that. Oh, well. :shrug:
Offline Profile Goto Top

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

cord08
Nov 23 2012, 06:33 PM
ladyofthelake
Nov 23 2012, 06:27 PM
WillFan

I thought I heard her husband was kinda shy/doesn't like the spotlight.
It's a family picture. People post those on Twitter/Facebook all the time. It's not like she's taking him to a Hollywood production.

Eh, just chalk it up to my suspicious mind. It would be nice if she posted pics of him every once in a while. You know, just to show he exists.
Edited by ladyofthelake, Nov 23 2012, 08:39 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

NikiLani
Member Avatar

I don't find it too strange that she doesn't post pics of her husband maybe he doesn't want her to or something. Twitter is a public forum and I can imagine some people having issues being all over it just because their spouse is a public figure of some sort. I loathe being in the spotlight myself, so I will post pics of my own family and ffriends long before my own.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic