Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Caroline confesses to Eric; Airs week of November 26th
Topic Started: Nov 21 2012, 07:53 PM (4,082 Views)
OliveAnn

rfsexton
Nov 21 2012, 10:22 PM
ChampagneRiver
Nov 21 2012, 10:15 PM
Quote:

Caroline does tell Daniel, and he forgives her. Jennifer is very impressed with him because of this.

Because it takes a saint, nay, almost a god, to forgive an distraught 80 year old Alzheimer patient when she's standing in front of you begging for forgiveness.
Can someone explain Caroline and test swap
Long story short, the happiness of Caroline's granddaughter Stephanie depended on the results of that paternity results. Yes, the child wasn't even hers, but it was still important. Stephanie was engaged to a douche called Nathan, who pined for Saint Melanie. Saint Melanie, Saint Daniel's daughter, was married to Philip and Philip cheated on her with Chloe, Daniel's then-wife. When Chloe fell pregnant, even though only a few months earlier she had been told she could not get pregnant, she didn't know the father was. But, who ever does in Salem? So, she had a paternity test result and Stephanie found out about it. The following "logic" then developed: If Melanie found out about Philip and Chloe's affair, she'd leave Philip and go after Nathan, who would immediately leave Stephanie. Don't ask why anyone would leave someone who looks like Stephanie, TPTB certainly can't tell you. Anyhow, Stephanie used Ian's help (Ian being Stephanie's possible long-lost twin and a guy whose name was reused only a few short months later by MarDar) to find out the results. The intial results showed that the child wasn't Daniel's. Then, when they came back to switch the results, they found that someone had beaten them to it. A few months later, the switcher turned out to be Caroline. Yep, an ancient grandmother apparently knows how to switch results on a computer. The reasoning: she wanted to ensure Stephanie's happiness.

Ridiculous, right?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Will&Sonny

OliveAnn
Nov 22 2012, 02:37 PM
Don't ask why anyone would leave someone who looks like Stephanie, TPTB certainly can't tell you.
In the context of that storyline, I would have left Stephanie if I were Nathan. That version of Stephanie, looks aside, was a needy, desperate, insecure shrew who didn't deserve to call herself Kayla's daughter. Personally, I never want to see that version of Stephanie return to Salem.

She was gorgeous, but self-respect is important, too -- for both partners in a relationship. Stephanie had none, so I had no problem believing that Nathan had enough self-respect to dump her (and I was rooting for him to do so).

Ljay
Member Avatar

Daytime
Nov 21 2012, 08:21 PM
So is Parker Daniel's son instead of Philip's?
Most likely since Chloe is coming back in January.

Shes probably gonna be torn to tell Daniel that Parker really belongs to him.....
You know the drill with all the baby drama.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

OliveAnn
Nov 22 2012, 02:37 PM
rfsexton
Nov 21 2012, 10:22 PM
ChampagneRiver
Nov 21 2012, 10:15 PM
Quote:

Caroline does tell Daniel, and he forgives her. Jennifer is very impressed with him because of this.

Because it takes a saint, nay, almost a god, to forgive an distraught 80 year old Alzheimer patient when she's standing in front of you begging for forgiveness.
Can someone explain Caroline and test swap
Long story short, the happiness of Caroline's granddaughter Stephanie depended on the results of that paternity results. Yes, the child wasn't even hers, but it was still important. Stephanie was engaged to a douche called Nathan, who pined for Saint Melanie. Saint Melanie, Saint Daniel's daughter, was married to Philip and Philip cheated on her with Chloe, Daniel's then-wife. When Chloe fell pregnant, even though only a few months earlier she had been told she could not get pregnant, she didn't know the father was. But, who ever does in Salem? So, she had a paternity test result and Stephanie found out about it. The following "logic" then developed: If Melanie found out about Philip and Chloe's affair, she'd leave Philip and go after Nathan, who would immediately leave Stephanie. Don't ask why anyone would leave someone who looks like Stephanie, TPTB certainly can't tell you. Anyhow, Stephanie used Ian's help (Ian being Stephanie's possible long-lost twin and a guy whose name was reused only a few short months later by MarDar) to find out the results. The intial results showed that the child wasn't Daniel's. Then, when they came back to switch the results, they found that someone had beaten them to it. A few months later, the switcher turned out to be Caroline. Yep, an ancient grandmother apparently knows how to switch results on a computer. The reasoning: she wanted to ensure Stephanie's happiness.

Ridiculous, right?
It was also because she didn't think anyone should have to grow up a Kiriakis. She went on about regretting the secret of Bo's paternity had ever been revealed.

Sariah
Member Avatar

They have to be changing the paternity, otherwise why bring it up now, and why else would Chloe be returning?

Stephanie was hovering over that computer like a hawk, waiting for the test results. The very second they were put into the system, Stephanie saw them and saw that Philip was the father. There wouldn't have been any time for anyone to have switched the results, because we watched Stephanie watching the computer. She freaked out, went for a walk, and when she got back, the results had been switched to show Daniel as the father. IMO, there really wasn't any question that Philip was the dad. I think Caroline as the switcher was a cop-out (and fully expected it to be Stephanie), and if they try to redo it saying that Caroline had Alzheimer's and that's why it's messed up, that's just stupid.

Philip's the dad. Even if they try to retcon it for a Dannifer obstacle, I will stick my fingers in my ears and yell la-la-la loudly, because as far as I'm pretending, Philip's the father.

Kriss4

six
Nov 21 2012, 11:09 PM
DocandJohn4ever
Nov 21 2012, 10:57 PM
Supergirlx2
Nov 21 2012, 09:24 PM
Harmony233
Nov 21 2012, 08:49 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
can someone remind me why Philip didn't go after Pocket (or whatever his real name was) and get his parental rights back?
I agree that it's ridiculous to rewrite paternity. Especially since i'm sure that it's the only idea TPTB had for causing tension between Dannifer. Dan will now have to choose between Jen and his kid. *eye roll* (especially since that pseudo sounds like Bo/Hope/Billie circa 1998, where Bo & Hope clearly wanted to be together, but Bo had obligations to Billie because she was pregnant.)
From what I remember (I may be wrong, it's been a while lol) I think he started to, but Belle talked him out of it... she made him realize how happy Tyler was with his foster family, and then Philip decided it would be best if he stayed with them so he didn't fight for his parental rights and let the foster family adopt him
It was actually Kayla, not Belle, but you're right, that's basically what happened. The whole thing made Philip and Stayla look pretty awful, imo.
Kayla asked Philip if he wanted Tyler for the right reasons or something like that. She pointed out that if he wanted the baby in order to fill the empty spaces in his life left by Belle and Claire, that would be tough, because Tyler needed someone who could concentrate on HIM, cuz he was pretty sick. Then Kayla and Philip watched through the hospital window as some newly appointed and perfect foster parents fawned over little Tyler, implying that really both Philip and Kayla ought to give the little one up to these WONDERFUL new, never before seen foster parents, because it was best for Tyler.

Next thing you know Philip is admitting to belle that Tyler was a substitute for belle and Claire, though maybe not in those words, and that Tyler wouldn't heal him.

A couple of years later, it was said that Philip didn't keep Tyler, and he also arranged it so that Steve and Kayla couldn't adopt him. He agreed that they were good people, but he had his reasons. I just can't remember what those reasons were.

granolagirl
Member Avatar

^He didn't want to be reminded of his past -- he wanted a clean slate in Salem, so he didn't want Tyler with people he knew.

The two versions of the story amuse me. Kayla was pretty pissy about the second one.

esp13
Member Avatar

Kriss4
Nov 23 2012, 07:44 PM
six
Nov 21 2012, 11:09 PM
DocandJohn4ever
Nov 21 2012, 10:57 PM
Supergirlx2
Nov 21 2012, 09:24 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
From what I remember (I may be wrong, it's been a while lol) I think he started to, but Belle talked him out of it... she made him realize how happy Tyler was with his foster family, and then Philip decided it would be best if he stayed with them so he didn't fight for his parental rights and let the foster family adopt him
It was actually Kayla, not Belle, but you're right, that's basically what happened. The whole thing made Philip and Stayla look pretty awful, imo.
Kayla asked Philip if he wanted Tyler for the right reasons or something like that. She pointed out that if he wanted the baby in order to fill the empty spaces in his life left by Belle and Claire, that would be tough, because Tyler needed someone who could concentrate on HIM, cuz he was pretty sick. Then Kayla and Philip watched through the hospital window as some newly appointed and perfect foster parents fawned over little Tyler, implying that really both Philip and Kayla ought to give the little one up to these WONDERFUL new, never before seen foster parents, because it was best for Tyler.

Next thing you know Philip is admitting to belle that Tyler was a substitute for belle and Claire, though maybe not in those words, and that Tyler wouldn't heal him.

A couple of years later, it was said that Philip didn't keep Tyler, and he also arranged it so that Steve and Kayla couldn't adopt him. He agreed that they were good people, but he had his reasons. I just can't remember what those reasons were.
Yep, Kayla didn't talk Philip into anything. She simply asked him to think about why he wanted Tyler and what was best for Tyler. She didn't tell him not to take his son. Philip made that decision on his own. And, at the time, I thought it was actually a pretty good moment for Philip.

The retcon that happened later was interesting. I'm not sure why they needed to rewrite what had happened, but it created some intereting conflict for Philip and Kayla, so I won't complain too loud.

ladyofthelake
Member Avatar
Professor-in-training

The whole Philip/Tyler thing was a missed bet. Philip keeping Tyler could have made for some great soap.

Harmony233

ladyofthelake
Nov 23 2012, 08:42 PM
The whole Philip/Tyler thing was a missed bet. Philip keeping Tyler could have made for some great soap.
IA I was actually looking forward to tyler showing up one dday and resenting parker but now thats out the door so lame to change parkers paternity

Sariah
Member Avatar

ladyofthelake
Nov 23 2012, 08:42 PM
I too thought it would be very soapy - and I'm still looking forward to the day Tyler Kiriakis comes walking into the mansion intent on getting revenge on his family for giving him up - but I thought they really missed out on playing this up as a conflict with Chloe. She was in foster care and suffered abuse; it could have been an interesting story and dynamic when she found out what Philip had done. (And all kinds of fun with an older Parker and how much Tyler would resent him.)

But OH NO...better for Chloe to screw the Whorange one and Philip to play house with a teenager and years later for Parker to be Daniel's so Dannifer have yet another obstacle to overcome with their magic, flying bed love. :soapbox:

Mitchapalooza
Member Avatar
Killing myself slowly

SO FUCKING TIRED of the people of Salem getting on their knees and sucking the TWATS of Jennifer and Daniel....my freaking god...WAKE UP WRITERS!!

Two of the LAMEST characters on soaps today!

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply