Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Spoilers for the week of December 17th; *updated 12/7*
Topic Started: Nov 30 2012, 09:05 PM (30,757 Views)
peaches179

SocRMum1
Dec 11 2012, 11:07 AM
confusedbyitall
Dec 11 2012, 10:32 AM
The roomful of toys probably came from EJ, and he is insisting on giving toys to charity so that Sami can look at him with doe eyes and love him for that. Seems like it to me anyways. :(
Oh that dastardly devil. :rolleyes:

Seriously - if they are going to have him scheme I'm going to need it to be just a bit more devious than donating toys to charity or taking advantage of the opportunity to work closely with Sami at a job she loves. I don't want him kidnapping the kids or anything...but I wouldn't mind seeing him bring Meredith back to town armed with more bricks and mortar. ;)

ICAM!!! Or running to Kristen and begging her to keep Rafe away from Sami! Come on EJ! You're better than this shit! This is kiddie play! :rolleyes:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

esp13
Dec 11 2012, 11:11 AM
SocRMum1
confusedbyitall
The roomful of toys probably came from EJ, and he is insisting on giving toys to charity so that Sami can look at him with doe eyes and love him for that. Seems like it to me anyways. :(

Seriously - if they are going to have him scheme I'm going to need it to be just a bit more devious than donating toys to charity or taking advantage of the opportunity to work closely with Sami at a job she loves. I don't want him kidnapping the kids or anything...but I wouldn't mind seeing him bring Meredith back to town armed with more bricks and mortar. ;)
Actually, this is exactly the kind of scheming EJ should be doing. It's much less likely to blow up in his face. If he brought back Meredith with bricks and mortor, he would inevitably find himself behind that brick wall and only Rafe could save him. This is really much less dangerous.
I agree. To me, the ideal EJ is one that lies, manipulates, and blackmails, but doesn't cross the line into trying to kill people and kidnap babies. I think the former can realistically exist in Salem and be written consistently as a gray character. He wouldn't be so bad that everyone would want him dead, but he wouldn't be so good that people would actually trust him or extol his virtues.

When they go too dark with writing for him (like attempted murder and kidnapping), it just becomes silly that this guy is even allowed to walk freely, let alone be around his kids. Stefano could do really dastardly stuff in the 80s and 90s because they would take him off canvas whenever it got too heated. With EJ, if they want to keep him a permanent part of Salem but also make him somewhat villanous, then I think they have to stake out a consistent middle ground with him.

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

Quote:

Lucas takes Jenn to task for dating Daniel and disrespecting Jack's memory.

Lucas, I love you. :hail: :hail:
Edited by LanaluvsBroe, Dec 11 2012, 11:30 AM.

camera shy

Hamilton
Dec 11 2012, 10:43 AM
They should have left Ej not Stefano's real son if this is what we have to look forward to with the character. What a putz.

Thankfully we have Kristen to take his place, but still such a shame they took away all of Ej's game. The pair had such potential to keep the show evilly hopping.
Isn't that where MarDar were heading so that he'd be free to be with Sami?

Daysdegrassi
Member Avatar

Monday December 17:

Kristen fakes a nightmare while in bed with Brady.- I'm over this shit already

Marlena has second thoughts about keeping Brady and Kristen's secret. She confides in Hope.- More confiding in someone about Kristen's evilness. Dull and repetitive.

Sami's surprised to see a roomful of Christmas presents for their children from EJ's associates.- Boring

EJ arranges to donate the toys to charity, prompting both Sami and Rafe to see EJ's doing a good thing.-Boring

Sami eavesdrops on EJ and Kristen, and is about to hear something private.-Predictable, indicator of her choosing Rafe

Rafe apologizes to Gabi for his reaction when he learned of her pregnancy.-Dull

Jenn tracks Daniel down and tells him she really is in love with him. -Blech
A must-miss episode

Tuesday December 18:

Lucas interrupts a kiss.-Good, he gets airtime

Lucas takes Jenn to task for dating Daniel and disrespecting Jack's memory.- Finally! Go Lucas!

Kristen catches Sami eavesdropping and covers.-Boring

EJ won't renounce his family - just their ways. -Boring and stupid, but he has no balls, so no surprise

Sami's impressed by EJ's declaration.-Dull and repetitive

John innocently questions Brady about his relationship with Kristen.-Gross and stupid

Brady pushes for a commitment.-Stupid

Jenn walks in on Brady with Kristen.-WHY, JUST WHY? Meaningless...
I'll watch the Lucas scenes on Youtube, but I won't give my airtime to more Krady/Dannifer/EJami bullshit

Wednesday December 19:

Brady tries to explain himself to Jenn.-Sounds stupid. Everyone has to explain to Holy Saint Cuntifer

Kristen can't wait for her affair to come out.- Predictable

Lucas is sympathetic to Will when he confides he and Sonny had it out.- Lucas gets more airtime. Interesting. Will watch on Youtube.

Sonny claims he has figured out the secret involving Will, Nick, and Gabi.-Boring

Gabi's afraid Nick's about to tell Father Eric about their baby's father.-Boring

Marlena asks pointed questions to Gabi about her pregnancy and Nick.-Could be nice, might watch on Youtube
Another can miss episode. At this point, I'll just watch the scenes with Lucas and maybe Marlena on Youtube.

Thursday December 20:

Eric tells Caroline he hasn't been sleeping.-Interesting

Eric is startled out of a dark memory by Nicole.-Interesting

Sonny agrees to keep Gabi's confidence.-Boring

Sonny and Will agree to move on from the Gabi and Nick talk but each is talking about something completely different.-Boring

Will is angered by Nick's derogatory tone.-Interesting. Can't wait to see this.

Chad volunteers to get Syd a gift from Nicole.-Good! Sydole scenes are always so sweet

Chad and Abby commiserate.-Good
I'll watch the Chabigail/Sydole/Ericole/Will scenes online, but I can't sit down that day to watch more pregos crap on the TV.

Friday December 21:

Eric tells Nicole a harrowing story about his time in the Congo.-Good

Eric starts to get closure.-Good, maybe a bit rushed, but good

Rafe and Sami take a walk down memory lane about what they once shared.-Sweet, but how many times can they walk down memory lane? Seems like this is every Friday that they do this!

Sami tells Caroline she's torn between two men.-Stupid and pointless. Caroline already knew this.

Chad and EJ visit Lexi's grave.-Nice and probably sweet scene. I'll watch the scenes I like online for this one, but I can miss this episode as well.

Kayla connects with Abe.-Nice

Chad and Cameron get to know each other.-OK, but I would've thought they already knew each other better.

What is up with these spoilers! Same ol' shit, just five different days! Some things are good, like Lucas, Will, Sydole, Chabigail, Safe and Ericole. But that material is only worth one good episode! I will read recaps/watch some scenes online, but there really is no point in wasting my time to watch the same old main storylines of Dannifer, Krady, Gabi's pregnancy and the Triangle from Hell. Cameron and Chad getting to know each other is fine, but they're already friends, so it seems kinda weird. I like that Kayla and Abe are reconnecting. Just seems like the writers are running out of stories, though.

Edited by Daysdegrassi, Dec 11 2012, 12:34 PM.

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

Quote:

Thursday December 20:

Eric tells Caroline he hasn't been sleeping.

Eric is startled out of a dark memory by Nicole.

Friday December 21:

Eric tells Nicole a harrowing story about his time in the Congo.

Eric starts to get closure.

Looking forward to Eric/Nicole. But it takes more than a 5 minute conversation to get closure. You would think Days would get the PTSD story right the 2nd time around.

Quote:

Chad and EJ visit Lexi's grave.

I miss Lexie. :'(

esp13
Member Avatar

tomsawyer
Dec 11 2012, 11:25 AM
esp13
SocRMum1
confusedbyitall

Actually, this is exactly the kind of scheming EJ should be doing. It's much less likely to blow up in his face. If he brought back Meredith with bricks and mortor, he would inevitably find himself behind that brick wall and only Rafe could save him. This is really much less dangerous.
I agree. To me, the ideal EJ is one that lies, manipulates, and blackmails, but doesn't cross the line into trying to kill people and kidnap babies. I think the former can realistically exist in Salem and be written consistently as a gray character. He wouldn't be so bad that everyone would want him dead, but he wouldn't be so good that people would actually trust him or extol his virtues.

When they go too dark with writing for him (like attempted murder and kidnapping), it just becomes silly that this guy is even allowed to walk freely, let alone be around his kids. Stefano could do really dastardly stuff in the 80s and 90s because they would take him off canvas whenever it got too heated. With EJ, if they want to keep him a permanent part of Salem but also make him somewhat villanous, then I think they have to stake out a consistent middle ground with him.
Yeah, that's the inherent problem with trying to make EJ both a romantic leading man AND a dastardly villain. While I think this problem exists to some degree regardless of who EJ is paired with, it is even worse when they are trying to make him a viable option for Sami. Not because Sami herself couldn't be with a villain, but because the canvas is relatively devoid of people who EJ could direct his villainy at without causing a conflict with Sami. She's related to half the town and, whatever the history, wouldn't seem to accept EJ going after the Brady's yet again. She may not be with Rafe anymore, but history tells us that that the surest way for Rafe and Sami to reunite is for EJ to scheme against Rafe.

Really there are only two readily available targets - Nicole and Kate. However, Nicole has nothing EJ wants anymore and, therefore, there is no reason to scheme against her. If they ramped up the Mad World/Countess W stuff, I could see EJ playing dirty against Kate and Sami embracing that. It's probably the best way to find some middle ground. Either that or they need to bring in some new counter-villain.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

esp13
SocRMum1
confusedbyitall

I can't argue with that. But I guess what I really need is for EJ to successfully scheme to get Rafe out of the way - if he's going to scheme, at all. I miss the days waaaaay back when EJ seemed to stay a step ahead of everyone. Sweevil EJ was fun. This guy...not so much.

LanaluvsBroe
Member Avatar

Quote:

Eric continues to be tortured by his memories of Africa. He wonít open up about them to Caroline, but after waking up from another nightmare with a scream, Nicole shows up to push him for details. Eventually, he tells her about seeing a fellow priest die in the Congo. The priest took a bullet meant for him. Nicole assures him it wasnít his fault and says he is still doing Godís work.

Jennifer could take notes from Nicole on how to support a man in need. Nicole has done more for Eric than Jenny ever did for you-know-who.

lysie
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
Dec 11 2012, 11:49 AM
esp13
SocRMum1
confusedbyitall

I can't argue with that. But I guess what I really need is for EJ to successfully scheme to get Rafe out of the way - if he's going to scheme, at all. I miss the days waaaaay back when EJ seemed to stay a step ahead of everyone. Sweevil EJ was fun. This guy...not so much.
I'd actually prefer he leave Rafe alone. If he can't get Sami without sabotaging Rafe...well, I just find that sad. I'd feel differently if it were a different woman, but with Sami, if she can't choose, it's not hard to find someone better. EJ shouldn't be jealous of Rafe. Not because of looks but because of personality. They both have rotten personalities but EJ is the type to not care and be ridiculously over confident anyway whether he should be or not. The fact that he keeps getting threatened by Rafe's flowers is so ridiculous.

SocRMum1
Member Avatar
Much prefers sweevil, snarky EJ over Father Figure Fucktard Eejiot.

lysie
Dec 11 2012, 11:56 AM
SocRMum1
esp13
SocRMum1

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
I'd actually prefer he leave Rafe alone. If he can't get Sami without sabotaging Rafe...well, I just find that sad. I'd feel differently if it were a different woman, but with Sami, if she can't choose, it's not hard to find someone better. EJ shouldn't be jealous of Rafe. Not because of looks but because of personality. They both have rotten personalities but EJ is the type to not care and be ridiculously over confident anyway whether he should be or not. The fact that he keeps getting threatened by Rafe's flowers is so ridiculous.
I'd be very happy if he'd never worry about or mention Rafe again.

However, I have my own reasons for wishing he'd find a way to send Rafe off canvas for a very long time. I mean...if he's going to scheme I'm all for making it useful for me. :laugh:

esp13
Member Avatar

SocRMum1
esp13
SocRMum1
confusedbyitall

Sweevil EJ was fun (and Hawt!). He was also a psychopath. That makes for a compelling villain, but not a compelling romantic lead. He can be evil and sexy (and have numerous meaningless flings), but it makes it very hard to buy his declarations of love as he tortures/destroys his supposed true love's family. I understand that some people don't have a difficulty with this contrast, but I think there are a lot (not more, not less, not claiming scientific studies) that do. And I think that's the inherent conflict every set of writers has had with EJ.

I do think there is a way to find a middle ground of sorts. But I think that middle ground means his schemes and manipulations are focused on business and/or mild manipulations in his personal life.

annie21

"Jenn tracks Daniel down and tells him she really is in love with him."

Lol, this gave me a mental picture of Jennifer tromping through the hospital hallways in duck-hunting boots, with a scoped rifle over one shoulder and a bloodhound on a leash in front of her.

And Eric finding "closure" already? He only admitted to the problem on Thursday and he's getting closure on Friday. Lightening fast, but just in time for the holidays. (!)

As for grieving for Lexie, it's nice, but lysie's right, it's focused on the wrong people.

Romancer66

annie21
Dec 11 2012, 12:19 PM
"Jenn tracks Daniel down and tells him she really is in love with him."

Lol, this gave me a mental picture of Jennifer tromping through the hospital hallways in duck-hunting boots, with a scoped rifle over one shoulder and a bloodhound on a leash in front of her.

Well, why not? She's done just about everything short of that up to now, to show her interest in him. Which is why I can't quite picture her backing off when Chloe returns and Daniel starts eying her like he wants to take a spoon and dig right in. (Bummer, dude--you went for the vanilla yogurt before you knew double chocolate mousse was going to be on the table.) Obsessive Jen is probably here for the rest of the winter, at least. Didn't she tell Maxine she was "relentless" when she wanted something? I just hope that she gets called on her crazy this time, instead of excused the way she was over Nicole.

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

Hamilton
Dec 11 2012, 10:46 AM
confusedbyitall
That would be the best news if it turned out true. This spit and shine version of Ej is a real dull dud.
Ej only works IMHO when he's a villain, the minute that they try to soften him up in order to pair him with Sami he fails miserably as a character and James doesn't play that side of the character that well.

MissLola
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Dec 11 2012, 12:40 PM
Hamilton
confusedbyitall
That would be the best news if it turned out true. This spit and shine version of Ej is a real dull dud.
Ej only works IMHO when he's a villain, the minute that they try to soften him up in order to pair him with Sami he fails miserably as a character and James doesn't play that side of the character that well.
I agree Ethan Cambias was a total bore and a failure and so is this version of Ej.

JtSmarts
Member Avatar

I don't know about you all but I'm just tingling at the sight of Kabe spoilers lol! ;)

LuvingLumi
Member Avatar
♥ LUMI ♥

MissLola
Dec 11 2012, 12:43 PM
LuvingLumi
Hamilton
confusedbyitall
I agree Ethan Cambias was a total bore and a failure and so is this version of Ej.
I still remember like it was yesterday seeing the scenes with Ej right around the end of 2006 and I could actually FEEL the fear that all these characters must have been in. I was home from work that week between xmas and new years and I remember telling myself...they finally found the next Stefano, Holy shit he's good. I was sincerely stating that as a compliment to James and I really loved to hate the character of Ej back then....now I simply can't stand him....and I know he has fans and is rather popular but to me, his existence in Salem needs to be the younger version of menacing Stefano or nothing at all....his every other year attempt to redeem his ass continues to be a failure because the show doesn't need another good guy, they might need more grey guys but IMHO Ej is too psychopath to ever be considered a gray character.....

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

LuvingLumi
Hamilton
confusedbyitall
I think when they try to change any character's personality just to pair them with somebody, it fails miserably. A character's evolution has to be natural and take time, which Days completely sucks at nowadays for pretty much all their characters. Historically though, some of my favorite couples involved mismatched pairings and redemptive arcs (Jack/Jen and Steve/Kayla), but TPTB seem unwilling to invest in this long-term writing now.

Anyway, I've actually found JS to be believable at portraying a romantic lead (in late 2007/early 2008 when they did EJ's first redemptive arc), as well as an evil villain (sweevil EJ of late 2006/early 2007). It's just that the pendulum has swung back and forth so many times that either end of the spectrum ends up being unbelievable. I neither shake in my boots when he makes threats, nor do I swoon when he professes his love, because I know he will probably be doing something completely the opposite a month down the road. The lack of consistency has made him an uncompelling character on both ends of the spectrum IMO.

And I think there is a big issue with taking EJ really dark - namely that JS is young, hot and does seduction scenes well, so there is a good chunk of the audience that will want him to be viable in a romantic pairing. That's pretty different from a 60-something JM terrorizing Salem as Stefano 20 years ago. Plus, they've given EJ little kids and JS has good chemistry with the Kunitz twins, so there is a chunk of the audience that likes seeing him as the doting daddy. Again, that is very different from Stefano in his hay day who only had adult children on the canvas. I just think it's hard to make EJ a pure villain because there's a sizable part of the audience that likes him in a different capacity. Ultimately, I think villains work the best when they can come in, do their dastardly deed, and then exit stage left. If you leave them hanging around the canvas, they end up getting neutered. And I highly doubt they are going to remove EJ from the canvas anytime soon. So if they actually want to create a consistent persona for EJ, I think their best path is to make him a somewhat gray character (like esp13 said - business scheming and some manipulation - that's my preference) or take him down a realistic, long-term redemptive arc (which TPTB are way too lazy to do).

concerned
Member Avatar

Daysdegrassi
Dec 11 2012, 11:14 AM
Kayla and Abe make me giddy. The writers may not have showed them enough, but they certainly gave them time to mourn Lexie's death and Kayla's divorce. At least now they can write something for them, though.

I can already see what will happen. Sami will believe that EJ has changed and be torn, but then she hears him and Kristen scheming, and she runs right into Rafe's waiting arms. Why is she telling Caroline about being torn? Caroline has already pointed this out!

What would be good writing, instead of predictable, would be if the two men Sami were torn between were Rafe and Lucas. EJ would look so pathetic because Sami didn't even look at him that way hahah.
She's showing no indications of being torn.
She's just upset with Rafe because he's not bending over to her every whim like the other is one so freezing him out.
But nothing turns Rafe on like the possibility of EJ doing something dastardly. So as soon as Sami has that little ace up her sleeve she'll be using it to fan the flames of Rafes desire.

He's not a sex toy Sami.
Edited by concerned, Dec 11 2012, 03:34 PM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply