Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Spoilers for the week of December 17th; *updated 12/7*
Topic Started: Nov 30 2012, 09:05 PM (31,364 Views)
annie21

lysie
Dec 13 2012, 11:40 AM
Aliaron
Dec 12 2012, 07:14 PM
Ireland98
Dec 12 2012, 11:44 AM
tomsawyer
Dec 12 2012, 10:09 AM
I'd actually like to see the next Days villain come from the Horton or Brady family. The "bad seed" angle is interesting to me and adds an additional layer to the story. Still think KM could play a great psycho and with all Abby gone through in the last year (her dad's death, her mom quickly moving on, her friends Gabi and Melanie betraying her), now seems like a old time for her to snap.
I want to see BOTH Will and Abby be villains! CM and KM can pull it off.
The last thing this show needs to do is ruin another Horton. Look at Jenn and how they write Lucas and Nick. There is no Horton now for this town to look upto. This show can't keep running to Alice and Tom. Maggie was setup to be the next patriarch and they've ruined her. She is not even a Horton.

They need to bring home Mickey's children and re-horton maggie. And use Nick or Lucas to brinh back the Horton name. You can't depend on dead characters to carry the essence of good for your show.
Idk when Horton started equalling good. That's not historically accurate overall. Young Hortons aren't going to fill the Tom/Alice void.

And uh...they ruined Maggie being the next patriarch when they gave her a vagina.
I know the whole good and evil think is relative, but I tend to think that the Hortons, like the Bradys, were generally supposed to be on the "good" end of the spectrum. They certainly haven't been dastardly villains in the vein of Stefano or Alex Marshall or Lawrence Alamain. Tom and Alice were the backbone of the show, and pretty much everyone, even the "bad" guys, looked up to and respected them. Mickey was a well-respected attorney in the town. Mike was a doctor, Jennifer was a journalist. Hope was a cop. Marie was a nun. Julie was a business woman, among other things. For the most part, we heard and saw that they were good at their jobs and well-respected. We never heard that any of them was deliberately villainous in the way they went about their work or that they were out to hurt people just for kicks or for personal gain. So, yeah, I would say the Hortons were generally known to be "good" more than "evil." But, of course, what all of the Hortons have been is flawed and human. Bill and Tommy were perhaps more flawed than the others. They've all made mistakes and missteps -- even Tom and Alice -- and they usually were made to pay for them, or at least called out by several people about them.

What we're getting today is watered down versions of who they once were. They're still not necessarily "evil." But they're not that "good" either. They're just grey and blah (when they're not irritating). When I hear "ruining the Hortons," that's what I think of. But, of course, it's happening to everyone on the show -- even the so-called villains are grey and blah (when they're not irritating), lol!

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

lysie
Member Avatar

Eh. I think we've all become too black and white. The Hortons may have been overall considered good but they stole, raped, attempted murder, cheated, etc. When one of them does something less than perfect now, they're labeled a villain and they're suddenly ruined. Until relatively recently, the true dastardly villains always came and went. They didn't try to keep them in town living among their victims. It makes a difference. I don't particularly want to see a bad Abby and Will, but I don't think it would ruin them. I think trying to protect them from being tarnished is what's ruining them. "Will should tell everyone he's the father because it's right.". "Abby should leave Austin alone because he's married." At some point these characters have to do less than perfect things if they're going to remain onscreen. Their family isn't perfect and there's no reason they should be either.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

tomsawyer
Member Avatar

lysie
Dec 13 2012, 02:42 PM
Eh. I think we've all become too black and white. The Hortons may have been overall considered good but they stole, raped, attempted murder, cheated, etc. When one of them does something less than perfect now, they're labeled a villain and they're suddenly ruined. Until relatively recently, the true dastardly villains always came and went. They didn't try to keep them in town living among their victims. It makes a difference. I don't particularly want to see a bad Abby and Will, but I don't think it would ruin them. I think trying to protect them from being tarnished is what's ruining them. "Will should tell everyone he's the father because it's right.". "Abby should leave Austin alone because he's married." At some point these characters have to do less than perfect things if they're going to remain onscreen. Their family isn't perfect and there's no reason they should be either.
And keeping truly dastardly villains always on the canvas neuters them and ruins them as real villains, so I'm not sure why they even try. To me, the answer is obvious - use a rotating cast of three or four older soap actors for your villains since there are a lot of "big names" that don't have consistent work nowadays. Bring them on for a 6-12 month arc and then rotate them out. Then bring back the same villain every two or three years and make it a big deal that Mr./Ms. Scary So-and-So is back!!! Just like they did in the 80s/90s with Stefano.

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

SocRMum1
Dec 12 2012, 12:09 AM
I absolutely agree with JS's quote. In fact, it's what I've been saying for ages. The appeal of EJami, at least for me, is that neither one of them are virtuous characters. There is no reason to white wash either of them. They are both far more compelling when written with some edge.
And I don't think his quote had anything to do with EJole, at all. No hints to anything...just saying what he thinks would work best in writing for EJami.
I agree completely and I did not get how this was similiar to Ejole at all :shrug:

jam6242
Member Avatar

In the early years, the Hortons were just portrayed as relatively normal but flawed human beings. There weren't black and white villains on the show at that time. I think only people who didn't see those Hortons think of them as "good." And as much as I love Tom and Alice, they weren't perfect either (but again, neither were they purposely villainous).

Aliaron
Member Avatar

lysie
Dec 13 2012, 11:40 AM
Aliaron
Dec 12 2012, 07:14 PM
Ireland98
Dec 12 2012, 11:44 AM
tomsawyer
Dec 12 2012, 10:09 AM
I'd actually like to see the next Days villain come from the Horton or Brady family. The "bad seed" angle is interesting to me and adds an additional layer to the story. Still think KM could play a great psycho and with all Abby gone through in the last year (her dad's death, her mom quickly moving on, her friends Gabi and Melanie betraying her), now seems like a old time for her to snap.
I want to see BOTH Will and Abby be villains! CM and KM can pull it off.
The last thing this show needs to do is ruin another Horton. Look at Jenn and how they write Lucas and Nick. There is no Horton now for this town to look upto. This show can't keep running to Alice and Tom. Maggie was setup to be the next patriarch and they've ruined her. She is not even a Horton.

They need to bring home Mickey's children and re-horton maggie. And use Nick or Lucas to brinh back the Horton name. You can't depend on dead characters to carry the essence of good for your show.
Idk when Horton started equalling good. That's not historically accurate overall. Young Hortons aren't going to fill the Tom/Alice void.

And uh...they ruined Maggie being the next patriarch when they gave her a vagina.
That's my cellphone. But thank you for pointing out an obvious mistake with the patriarch. Since this board and my phone plays so much with my editting, sometimes I don't bother to keep reeditting cause I figure people can get what I'm trying to say. Silly me.

As for the Hortons being good, I meant in general. in Salem, the Horton family stands for upstanding upperclass citizens of Salem. The family who takes people in and gives to charity. People looked up to the Hortons. Its why we hear about Tom and Alice all the time.

Not that all individual Hortons have to be that way. But since the last living Hortons considered descent in this town by viewers was Julie and Doug (since Hope is now considered more a Brady) the show should try to rebuild the family brand instead of adding another dark screwed up element to the mix.

You got to have a solid brand before you add variety to the mix. You can have vanilla coke and cherry coke but original coke is the representative. The Hortons need a coke.
Edited by Aliaron, Dec 14 2012, 12:11 AM.

Aliaron
Member Avatar

jam6242
Dec 13 2012, 07:13 PM
In the early years, the Hortons were just portrayed as relatively normal but flawed human beings. There weren't black and white villains on the show at that time. I think only people who didn't see those Hortons think of them as "good." And as much as I love Tom and Alice, they weren't perfect either (but again, neither were they purposely villainous).
When did good become perfect? Good people have flaws. But the Hortons were the symbol of the good upper class family while the Brady's were the good working class family.

imahrguru
Member Avatar

What ever happened to Cameron???

JamesScott_19
Member Avatar
Don't get up. So how are you? What happened, eh? Let me guess, Stefano told you that you could fly,and you jumped off a building. HeHe It's funny right, no I'm sorry Bad EJ, I should'nt be that cruel!

imahrguru
Dec 20 2012, 07:51 PM
He is gong to be around Christmas eve, I am soooooooooo excited...... :sarcasm:

camera shy

JamesScott_19
Dec 20 2012, 07:57 PM
imahrguru
Well Cameron can't come on screen soon enough for me. I want to see if there was a reason why they went to all the trouble of recasting him.

Daiseyflower1
Member Avatar

camera shy
Dec 20 2012, 08:17 PM
JamesScott_19
imahrguru
Well Cameron can't come on screen soon enough for me. I want to see if there was a reason why they went to all the trouble of recasting him.
Yes.Especially if he had a hand in a baby "being dead" story.

blueskies
Member Avatar

camera shy
Dec 20 2012, 08:17 PM
JamesScott_19
imahrguru
They recast him because Jay Leno was duller than dirt.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply