Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Y&R: December Discussion
Topic Started: Nov 30 2012, 10:03 PM (10,568 Views)
LPS
Member Avatar

Mason
Dec 11 2012, 08:15 PM
LPS
Dec 11 2012, 08:07 PM
The character is an insult to women. There is nothing wrong with soaps portraying a woman who enjoys domestic and feminine traits, but this character is almost a 1950s caricature invoking stereotypes of the good housewife.
Yes, because we saw so many successful female attorneys in the 1950s.
That's a very weak and reductive argument. One modern attribute doesn't undue the MULTIPLE feminine stereotypes the character displays. Just showing a woman having a career outside of the the home does not make her an empowered woman free of stereotypes. (BTW, a character can be a stay at home parent and still be an empowered character). There is more to gender issues than women working (and, frankly, its not really a gender issue anymore). The show does not focus on her law career (anymore). Her "career" is purely dressing. She spends her time chasing boys like some love sick teenager. Again, most female lawyers don't have the time to go bake cookies or play these love games in their free time. Why don't we see Michael's ass baking or engaging in his hobbies besides sex? His ass is always stressed (as most attorneys). Its a stressful and full time career. The baking female attorney is unrealistic. When she is not baking, she is the perfect pseudo- mother to Summer. She's dressed more stylish than a Vogue cover model. Its too much, IMO.

Look at Tea on OLTL. She was a female attorney and they didn't have her act like Betty Crocker. Tea was involved in storylines that focused on her career AND her love life. She engaged in feminine activities, but it wasn't excessive.
Edited by LPS, Dec 11 2012, 08:58 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

LPS
Dec 11 2012, 08:20 PM
^Every good soap character has a flaw. That is what makes them enduring. Viewers get hooked into the characters because of their "tragic flaw".
You might. I get "hooked" on a soap character because I find watching him or her an enjoyable distraction. I don't need them to have back stories and histories resembling the plot of a Greek tragedy.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

LPS
Dec 11 2012, 08:25 PM
Mason
Dec 11 2012, 08:15 PM
LPS
The character is an insult to women. There is nothing wrong with soaps portraying a woman who enjoys domestic and feminine traits, but this character is almost a 1950s caricature invoking stereotypes of the good housewife.
Yes, because we saw so many successful female attorneys in the 1950s.
That's a very weak and reductive argument.
Funny you should say that....
Offline Profile Goto Top

Shick
Member Avatar
My reaction to current Y&R ...

Avery is boring as fuck. That may change, but right now I couldn't give a shit about her baking skills or her cool new apartment.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Queen B
Member Avatar

Shick
Dec 11 2012, 09:34 PM
Avery is boring as fuck. That may change, but right now I couldn't give a shit about her baking skills or her cool new apartment.
I think they already are trying to make her 'less boring' but I'm not feeling it. Today they had her boobs popping out of her chest and had her talking about how shes such a terrible person because she cheated on her husband. Nick said, "I cheated on Sharon....and Phyllis." and Avery's like "Oh but Nick, that's different, you fell in love with Phyllis! My infidelity was way different!". Like bitch please, I already hate your cookie cutting ass and now your gonna act like there's a double standard cause hes a man? It's laughable for Avery not to acknowledge how much of a slut Nick is
Edited by Queen B, Dec 11 2012, 09:42 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Crazygirl
Member Avatar

I like characters because they interest me one way or another, they definitely don't have to resemble me or my beliefs. They just have to be interesting.

I will personally take Avery and Nick over Phyllis and Nick any day of the week. I didn't expect to like them but I do.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Crazygirl
Member Avatar

^^Oh no, I wasn't the least bit offended. I just like so many different kinds of characters that are nothing like me in the least. I just didn't agree, that's all.
Offline Profile Goto Top

kelly777
Member Avatar

Sammie Jo
Dec 11 2012, 07:36 PM
LPS
Dec 11 2012, 02:24 PM
Sammie Jo
Dec 11 2012, 10:13 AM
LPS
Dec 10 2012, 11:00 PM
That and I find Avery to be f*cking annoying. All that b*tch does is bake cookies, smiles, and acts wonderful. She is the less stoical version of the Bug. Miss Perfect with no flaws. She's a future Stepford Wife with a law degree. How can any viewer relate to Avery?
I can, I bake and cook all the time, and love it, and I can find no reason to have a bunch of drama in my life, I am not alone in that either.
I can relate more to her, than I can to getting locked up in psycho wards or the Newman wing of the jail, getting kidnapped or any of the other outlandish things that happen on this show.
Do you also have a law degree? She is a size 2. She looks like Barbie and is a stereotypical male fantasy of a perfect woman.

No faults, flaws, or anything. She's pointless. How is she any different than the Bug? B*tch can go fart butterflies somewhere else.
No I don't have a law degree but so what, does that mean people with law degrees can't cook and make a nice home?
I don't think she looks like barbie, just because she's blonde doesn't mean she's barbie, barbie didn't have a law degree.
People have hobbies to relax and unwind, cooking & baking may be her outlet.
Frankly I find her refreshing, I'm sick of all these career super females who have no time for their children or husbands, then they wonder why the kids run amuck and the husbands have affairs. JMO
Personally, I identify with the fact that she is a professional and yet has a life/work balance that is healthy. She is quirky and fun; not at all like a Barbie doll IMO.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Shick
Member Avatar

Avery is all sweetness and light right now. Give her time, she'll be dragged down into the dirt just like every other character on the show. Look, it began today in the Canadian episode. We discovered that she was once a slut who cheated on her husband. And I doubt that that's the only thing buried in her past.

Sad to admit it because I detested MAB's work, but I preferred the Avery shown during her tenure. She wasn't forced onto to the viewers, and we actually saw her in action as a lawyer. People who tuned in when JG started writing probably have no idea that she's a lawyer lol. They probably think she's a chef...
Offline Profile Goto Top

Queen B
Member Avatar

Shick
Dec 11 2012, 10:03 PM
Avery is all sweetness and light right now. Give her time, she'll be dragged down into the dirt just like every other character on the show. Look, it began today in the Canadian episode. We discovered that she was once a slut who cheated on her husband. And I doubt that that's the only thing buried in her past.

Sad to admit it because I detested MAB's work, but I preferred the Avery shown during her tenure. She wasn't forced onto to the viewers, and we actually saw her in action as a lawyer. People who tuned in when JG started writing probably have no idea that she's a lawyer lol. They probably think she's a chef...
ITA!

That's why I'm not enjoying her character or her romance with Nick, it's just so poorly written and we have had Avery on like 3 days a week since October and I am yet to see her at work with her suit and glasses on, that's the Avery I started to like and get used to earlier this year.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Shick
Member Avatar

Queen B
Dec 11 2012, 10:07 PM
Shick
Dec 11 2012, 10:03 PM

ITA!

That's why I'm not enjoying her character or her romance with Nick, it's just so poorly written and we have had Avery on like 3 days a week since October and I am yet to see her at work with her suit and glasses on, that's the Avery I started to like and get used to earlier this year.
And the Avery from 2011-Sept 2012 stood up to her bitchy sister for the most part. This version of Avery is so frightened of Phyllis and worried about how she feels regarding Nick. It's just so ridiculous. Viewers who watched in December of 2011 know that Navery were together and Nick dumped her for Phyllis. Did Phyllis bat an eye when she took Nick back off of Avery? Did she consider how Avery might feel about it back then? HELL NO.

I actually rooted for Navery in 2011. They had some intensity and heat to them. This is too sugary and fake for me. I don't want to hear about Nick wanting to be a rockstar, or Avery's theory that hot chocolate makes everything better.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lightandday
Member Avatar
HBD-Nesta Robert Marley,February 6, 1945 BitchesBrew

Mason
Dec 11 2012, 08:27 PM
You might. I get "hooked" on a soap character because I find watching him or her an enjoyable distraction. I don't need them to have back stories and histories resembling the plot of a Greek tragedy.
And that's the spot on word "Enjoyable" which seemingly many are not finding it so, Avery was a thriving character before the first triangle happen (Remembering Avon!Sharon & Avery :wub: ) C'mom Mason did you see how fast she was a Nicks door after watching him spar w/Adam? He didn't have time to whip it out & take a leak. I'm like Ahhh`here we go re-trying Phick2.0? Hell Naw! No need to regurgitate some of the same shit her sister did while being married to Nicholas, Avery can clang all the pots & spatulas she want's but don't take away her characters main strength (being a lawyer) and that's what they did.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mason
Member Avatar

Well, whatever they did, it hasn't affected me one iota.
Offline Profile Goto Top

lightandday
Member Avatar

Well of course they haven't influenced you because you like them however the almighty demo doesn't along with the other series of plot devices that are currently in place. I think the pairing would've possibly resonated on a much broader premise if they "the writers" would let Nicholas have some sort of epiphany of his own on what to do career wise & stop showing Avery as wanting this sisterhood shit with Phyllis while still riding ex-sissy dick and then Maybe just Maybe the couple would sell. Kanye :shrug: `s
Offline Profile Goto Top

Queen B
Member Avatar

lightandday
Dec 11 2012, 10:52 PM
Mason
Dec 11 2012, 08:27 PM
And that's the spot on word "Enjoyable" which seemingly many are not finding it so, Avery was a thriving character before the first triangle happen (Remembering Avon!Sharon & Avery :wub: ) C'mom Mason did you see how fast she was a Nicks door after watching him spar w/Adam? He didn't have time to whip it out & take a leak. I'm like Ahhh`here we go re-trying Phick2.0? Hell Naw! No need to regurgitate some of the same shit her sister did while being married to Nicholas, Avery can clang all the pots & spatulas she want's but don't take away her characters main strength (being a lawyer) and that's what they did.
Yeah Nick is going to ruin Avery just like he ruined Phyllis for me. Well Nick and Phyllis ruined each others characters
Offline Profile Goto Top

lightandday
Member Avatar

Bee, I don't necessarily think either is at point of ruining the other I mean MAB birth that baby and now it's just there floating in the air on pastries & soups :biggrin: . Anywho I just want them along with several other characters shown thinking for themselves shared dinners and conversation are always needed that's part of defining, getting to know etc; I take issue when it's one fucking drum being banged on day2day month2month. Like What the Hell? Prime example Notice how Jill, Lauren and Jill Tucker sit-downs were character driven right down to the conversations then inserted Kate (LOL: :laugh: And Jill pouncing on Kevin's demented past) it all flowed man, that's all I'm saying. FLOW IS KEY!

Edited by lightandday, Dec 11 2012, 11:51 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Queen B
Member Avatar

lightandday
Dec 11 2012, 11:49 PM
Bee, I don't necessarily think either is at point of ruining the other I mean MAB birth that baby and now it's just there floating in the air on pastries & soups :biggrin: . Anywho I just want them along with several other characters shown thinking for themselves shared dinners and conversation are always needed that's part of defining, getting to know etc; I take issue when it's one fucking drum being banged on day2day month2month. Like What the Hell? Prime example Notice how Jill, Lauren and Jill Tucker sit-downs were character driven right down to the conversations then inserted Kate (LOL: :laugh: And Jill pouncing on Kevin's demented past) it all flowed man, that's all I'm saying. FLOW IS KEY!

funny you mention that, I really enjoyed that scene as well. classic Jill !
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sammie Jo
Member Avatar

LPS
Queen B
Dec 11 2012, 07:57 PM
Sammie Jo
Dec 11 2012, 07:36 PM
LPS
Dec 11 2012, 02:24 PM

Quoting limited to 4 levels deep
No I don't have a law degree but so what, does that mean people with law degrees can't cook and make a nice home?
I don't think she looks like barbie, just because she's blonde doesn't mean she's barbie, barbie didn't have a law degree.
People have hobbies to relax and unwind, cooking & baking may be her outlet.
Frankly I find her refreshing, I'm sick of all these career super females who have no time for their children or husbands, then they wonder why the kids run amuck and the husbands have affairs. JMO
Avery went from being a top notch lawyer to being the new Betty Crocker over night. It's just silly
And just a tad insulting with a dab of sexism.

So many career women who work long hours, also, long to bake in their free time while wearing expensive clothes and high heels. Get real.

Oh and I don't want to hear "attorney's can bake none sense". The character is an insult to women. There is nothing wrong with soaps portraying a woman who enjoys domestic and feminine traits, but this character is almost a 1950s caricature invoking stereotypes of the good housewife.
and in the 50's we didn't have near the problems with dysfunctional families and kids that we do now.
I'll take the 50's over today's world anyday.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Soapwatcher

changing the subject a little, did Lauralee Bell and MAB not get along or what, how come LLB is coming back as a regular when her s-i-l is no longer in charge
I guess she'll be back as miss perfect lawyer and again find no reason to marry Paul because she wants the career, I don't know why they are bringing her back except to give DD a reason for being on the show (I like DD wish they had a better part for him) but its odd that she only appeared once in a while for MAB but is supposenly coming back for another crew. maybe she isn't they might write her out quickly who knows just thought it strange.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Queen B
Member Avatar

If I was LLB I wouldn't like MAB either. She threw Cricket under the bus and made her the villain in a story that she was clearly the victim in.
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Fully Featured & Customizable Free Forums
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Y&R & B&B: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Locked Topic