Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]

Hello, soap fans -- and welcome to Daytime Royalty!

For those unfamiliar, we are an uncensored community for fans and lovers of the daytime genre. We have a no-holds-barred atmosphere in regards to the shows, writers, actors etc. but we do not allow member bashing in any form.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member, please log in to your account to access all of our features.

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ali Sweeney named co-host of Tournament of Roses Parade; Jason47's Weekly Thread: Plus 1967/1968 Days of Christmas Past
Topic Started: Dec 1 2012, 12:53 AM (2,168 Views)
Jason47
Member Avatar

December 06, 2012
AL ROKER (NBC’S 'TODAY') AND ALISON SWEENEY ('THE BIGGEST LOSER') TEAM UP TO HOST NBC’S LIVE, HIGH-DEFINITION COVERAGE OF THE ‘124TH TOURNAMENT OF ROSES PARADE’ ON JANUARY 1, 2013

NBC Continues Its 86-Year Tradition of Broadcasting Popular International Event

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. – December 6, 2012 – Al Roker, the weatherman and feature reporter for NBC’s “Today,” and Alison Sweeney, the host of “The Biggest Loser” and one of the stars of “Days of our Lives,” will co-host NBC’s live, high-definition coverage of the “124th Tournament of Roses Parade” from Pasadena, California, on Tuesday, January 1 (11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. ET).* This will be Roker’s sixteenth year hosting the popular annual event, and the first year for Sweeney. NBC has been broadcasting the New Year’s Day parade for 86 years, beginning on radio in 1927 and then televising the event beginning in 1954.

The theme for this year’s parade is “Oh, the Places You’ll Go,!“ the title of the popular Dr. Seuss book. Jane Goodall, the world renowned primatologist, animal welfare advocate, UN Messenger of Peace and founder of the Jane Goodall Institute, will be this year’s grand marshal. The parade will feature 42 lavish floral floats, 21 high-stepping equestrian teams and 23 incredible marching bands from as far away as Japan. This year’s Rose Queen and her court will also appear, along with special guests on spectacular floats.

“The Tournament of Roses Parade” is the most popular New Year’s Day celebration in the world. The lively event kicks off 2013 with colorful floats like Disneyland Resort’s “Destination Cars Land,” saluting the newest attraction at Disney California Adventure Park, Honda’s “Follow Your Dreams” entry, celebrating childlike imagination, and a heartwarming “Canines with Courage” salute to our four-legged heroes – military working dogs -- from Natural Balance Pet Foods. Viewers will also see a special float honoring our nation’s caregivers, which is funded, decorated and ridden by nurses, a Kaiser
Permanente “Cat in the Hat” float themed “Oh, the Healthy Things You Can Do,!”and an inaugural float from Delta Sigma Theta, the world’s largest African-American Greek-lettered sorority, as they kick off their centennial celebration.

The Pasadena police department estimates that at least 1 million spectators will line the five-and-a-half mile parade route. Tens of millions of people worldwide watch the telecast every year.

Arthur Forrest is the executive producer and director, Tom Patino is the line producer, Carol Kahl is the supervising producer and Stephanie Prescott is the coordinating producer for Universal Television.

*Many affiliates will also broadcast NBC’s optional coverage of the parade from 11:00-11:30 a.m. ET.

JUST RELEASED! Jason47's "Days of Christmas Past: 1967"

Alice and Tom reminisce about their first Christmas together...in 1927!

Read all about Sandy Horton's introduction to the show...

See how the Horton ornaments were featured on the tree (without the ornament ceremony done just yet)...

And, a special treat for long-time "Days" fans: the complete wedding episode of Laura Spencer and Mickey Horton...

All that and more at http://www.jason47.com

DID YOU KNOW: JACK DEVERAUX WAS ALMOST PLAYED BY

Did You Know??

When Mark Valley left "Days" in 1997, the final two candidates for the role were Steve Wilder, who got the part, and Joel Gretsch, who would later go on to sci-fi series fame in "The 4400" and "V."

Jason47's "Days" Christmas Clip of the Week:

Charlayne Woodard (Desiree) sings a beautiful version of "O Holy Night." Episode # 6664. Air Date: December 18, 1991.

http://www.jason47.com

Jason47's Days of Christmas Past: 1968

Find out how all the Salemites celebrated Christmas 1968...

Read the entire script of Susan Seaforth's debut episode as Julie from 44 years ago: December 11, 1968...

Find out who wanted to marry Julie while she was living in San Francisco...

See how Julie and Bill dealt with being away from their babies...

Read about baby Michael (Mike Horton)'s first Christmas, when Mickey still thought he was his father...

Find out what gift Alice gave to Tom and what Marie's telegram said (since she couldn't be there)...

Read about some of the early work of actor Mike Farrell (Scott Banning), who would later go on to fame in "M*A*S*H" (and co-star in that series with "Days" current "priest" William Christopher (Father Tobias)...

See how the Hortons celebrated Christmas (again, not yet with the soon-to-be famous ornament ceremony)...'

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!!!!

"Days" Flashback: Thirty Years Ago in Salem:

Daily Cast Chart & Set Lists: December 1982

http://www.jason47.com/days/castcharts1982.html
Edited by Jason47, Dec 6 2012, 07:21 PM.
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jam6242
Member Avatar

Thanks Jason, this is wonderful! They actually laid out the ages of Tom and Alice's children in one episode. I never realized that Mickey was so much older than Bill (seven years). And they're really setting up Mark to turn out to be Tommy.

Jason47
Member Avatar

jam6242
Dec 1 2012, 01:47 AM
Thanks Jason, this is wonderful! They actually laid out the ages of Tom and Alice's children in one episode. I never realized that Mickey was so much older than Bill (seven years). And they're really setting up Mark to turn out to be Tommy.
Yes, thought the history buffs would enjoy that piece of dialogue!

Julie (Cathy Ferrar) just missed out on being in this set of Christmas episodes. Julie was absent for October/November/December 1967 and returned to the show on January 8.
Edited by Jason47, Dec 1 2012, 01:53 AM.

Jason47
Member Avatar

jam6242
Dec 1 2012, 01:47 AM
Thanks Jason, this is wonderful!
Just been busy doing all the other research on the show. I've had this Christmas stuff to post for awhile, but wanted to finally get it up this Christmas season! Look forward soon for the years of 1968, 1969, 1972 and 1973! (1970 & 1971 are already up since last year).

jam6242
Member Avatar

It's funny I know I was watching with my mom at this time but I have no recollection of Julie until Susan took over the role.

Oh, 1973 was when Addie was so ill and pregnant with Hope. Can't wait!
Edited by jam6242, Dec 1 2012, 02:01 AM.

Jason47
Member Avatar

jam6242
Dec 1 2012, 01:59 AM
It's funny I know I was watching with my mom at this time but I have no recollection of Julie until Susan took over the role.

And December 1968 is when Susan made her debut as Julie...

Here's a sneak peek of Christmas 1968:

(Scene in progress between Alice and Julie who’re both making Turkey dressing, Julie smelling walnuts. Keep Julie somewhat subdued despite the rapport she has with her grandmother)

And from Christmas 1973:

Doug and Addie look into each other’s eyes and think about the little baby that will be coming

jam6242
Member Avatar

Jason47
Dec 1 2012, 02:08 AM
jam6242
Dec 1 2012, 01:59 AM

And December 1968 is when Susan made her debut as Julie...

Here's a sneak peek of Christmas 1968:

(Scene in progress between Alice and Julie who’re both making Turkey dressing, Julie smelling walnuts. Keep Julie somewhat subdued despite the rapport she has with her grandmother)

And from Christmas 1973:

Doug and Addie look into each other’s eyes and think about the little baby that will be coming
Aww, as much as I loved Doug and Julie I ended up liking Doug and Addie too. I wanted her to live for the baby's sake, especially.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

Thanks for posting Jason. The more recaps for the classic era the better.

I wonder why there was never any mention of Julie / Steven or Julie being pregnant, especially in that scene where Tom and Alice discuss their family.

Also, it was great to get insight into Sandy and Kitty's relationship. I just assumed Sandy believed Kitty to be a doting mother, without sin, but in these episodes she's doesn't give a shit. LoL
Edited by Bright Eyes, Dec 1 2012, 02:57 AM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

From just those few lines of dialog, I think I love Sandy. She's DEFINITELY not the same Sandy Horton who came to town in the early 1980s.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

jam6242
Member Avatar

I remember liking Sandy very much when Heather North played her. She was a good young actress. I think she was in her teens when she first started on Days. She also guested on several primetime shows at the same time. I recently saw her in a Monkees episode on Antenna TV. I don't know why she was never given a major storyline on Days. I found the 80s Sandys a bit dull.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

jam6242
Dec 1 2012, 09:06 AM
I remember liking Sandy very much when Heather North played her. She was a good young actress. I think she was in her teens when she first started on Days. She also guested on several primetime shows at the same time. I recently saw her in a Monkees episode on Antenna TV. I don't know why she was never given a major storyline on Days. I found the 80s Sandys a bit dull.
One note about Heather North is that she went on to marry DAYS director (and eventual producer) Wes Kenney (who went on to produce Y&R & GH as well). North is probably BEST known to multiple entire generations of people as the long-time voice of Daphne Blake on Scooby-Doo from 1970-mid2000s(a job she started while still on DAYS!).
Edited by Matt, Dec 1 2012, 09:57 AM.

Matt
Member Avatar
Classic Soap Fan

Seriously. After reading that, I am all up in this Sandy/Kitty/Tommy-Mark story now. MORE!

I like how they seemed to be implying a potential Bill/Susan pairing which helps explain the apparently sentiment that many fans wanted them together as a couple (based on what I've read in fanmags of the day). Also, considering that Ed Mallory & Denise Alexander were possibly the 2 most popular performers on the show at the time, I'm surprised Bill Bell never actually put them together. Of course, I'm sure you can get a lot more mileage out of putting your 2 most popular performers in separate storylines instead of throwing all of your eggs in a single basket.

jam6242
Member Avatar

Mallory and Alexander were definitely very popular. I think Bill and Susan did date for a while. Didn't he even tell her that he was Michaels's father? I think Bell went in the right direction with the characters though. I don't think a Bill/Susan pairing could have topped the continuance of Susan's rivalry with Julie (this time over Scott Banning) or the Bill/Laura/Mickey triangle.

Bright Eyes
Member Avatar

jam6242
Dec 1 2012, 03:50 PM
Mallory and Alexander were definitely very popular. I think Bill and Susan did date for a while. Didn't he even tell her that he was Michaels's father? I think Bell went in the right direction with the characters though. I don't think a Bill/Susan pairing could have topped the continuance of Susan's rivalry with Julie (this time over Scott Banning) or the Bill/Laura/Mickey triangle.
Yes they definitely dated, but when Susan realized Bill would never lover her like he loved Laura they amicably split.

Jason47
Member Avatar

DID YOU KNOW: JACK DEVERAUX WAS ALMOST PLAYED BY

Did You Know??

When Mark Valley left "Days" in 1997, the final two candidates for the role were Steve Wilder, who got the part, and Joel Gretsch, who would later go on to sci-fi series fame in "The 4400" and "V."

Will&Sonny

I miss The 4400.

Thanks for the information, Jason!

Jason47
Member Avatar

Will&Sonny
Dec 1 2012, 09:11 PM
I miss The 4400.

Thanks for the information, Jason!
Yeah, was a nice summer staple for a few years!

Always enjoyed Joel in both of those roles, so it was fun finding out that he was the second choice for Jack. Would have been fun if he ended up getting the role.

It was in an old 1997 Soap Opera Magazine that I read that note recently. I had probably known about that originally in 1997 (and didn't know who Joel was back then), but had no recollection of it until just reading it again now.

Jason47
Member Avatar

Jason47's "Days" Christmas Clip of the Week:

Charlayne Woodard (Desiree) sings a beautiful version of "O Holy Night." Episode # 6664. Air Date: December 18, 1991.

http://www.jason47.com

Dreamer
Gone, But Not Forgotten!

Loved that clip from Xmas 1991. Woodward has a beautiful voice. Very nice memory from DAYS

Thanks, Jason

Jason47
Member Avatar

Jason47's Days of Christmas Past: 1968

Find out how all the Salemites celebrated Christmas 1968...

Read the entire script of Susan Seaforth's debut episode as Julie from 44 years ago: December 11, 1968...

Find out who wanted to marry Julie while she was living in San Francisco...

See how Julie and Bill dealt with being away from their babies...

Read about baby Michael (Mike Horton)'s first Christmas, when Mickey still thought he was his father...

Find out what gift Alice gave to Tom and what Marie's telegram said (since she couldn't be there)...

Read about some of the early work of actor Mike Farrell (Scott Banning), who would later go on to fame in "M*A*S*H" (and co-star in that series with "Days" current "priest" William Christopher (Father Tobias)...

See how the Hortons celebrated Christmas (again, not yet with the soon-to-be famous ornament ceremony)...'

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!!!!
Edited by Jason47, Dec 4 2012, 12:16 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · DAYS: News, Spoilers & Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply